No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited July 2017 Posts: 3,169
    Interesting. War films isn't really my thing, so I doubt I'll check it out - but what elements of Dunkirk are different from his other films?

Plenty. Lack of a strong antagonist/protagonist for once. Lack of character development. Complete waste of the actor's (Hardy, Branagh) talents. This is the first Nolan movie where all the dialogue heard in the movie can fit in just a couple of pages.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Whether it's got legs remains to be seen but maybe the idea this won't play anywhere else impressively than the UK might a bit premature.

http://collider.com/friday-box-office-dunkirk/

Surely testament to Nolan's pulling power as there's zero yank representation in Dunkirk. How times have changed since Bridge on the River Kwai when they had to create an American character from scratch that didn't exist in the book just so it stood a chance of getting an audience stateside.

If Nolan can get north of 600m with this, a grim realistic war picture (hardly a popular genre) and no American characters at all, then if you throw Bond into the Nolan machine and we have to be talking all time high box office that blows TB and SF out of the water.

The only reason I can conceive that EON would hesitate is that they realise Nolan needs to start from scratch with a new Bond and Babs is torn between this and going for one more film with her darling Dan.

But the clamour for Nolan is starting to get impossible to ignore, almost to the point it's worth letting DC go to get him onboard.

BTW, what every happened to Chr Bale? In General and in Relation to Nolan? Has he fallen out of grace?
    Yeah I'm with @TheWizardOfIce and @Shardlake. They'd be stupid not to hire Nolan at this point.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    BTW, what every happened to Chr Bale? In General and in Relation to Nolan? Has he fallen out of grace?

His got nominated for another Oscar last year. He's doing fine. Don't know about him and Nolan but it's possible that Nolan just hasn't had a role for him in his last couple of films or they both felt that they wanted to branch out a bit after Batman.
    The last I heard from him was Moses and that was apparently awful. Which role?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Good films are normally loved universally. If it's half decent, the Americans will go for it. Sorry to SP fans, but the last Bond film was anything but.

Regarding Daniel Craig: He is a very good actor. Quite versatile. However, since he's become Bond his acting output has been dismal. He has released nothing in the six years since TGWTDT except for two Bond films and two New York theatre runs (one of which was limited and very difficult to get tickets to - I tried). I hope his output increases due to the recognition and buzz he seems to be getting post-Logan Lucky.

Regarding Craig as Bond, there's no question that he is magnetic in the role and probably the most credible as a hardened assassin among the six. However, I'm more looking forward to a new man in the part than Craig returning. I'm also looking forward to a new creative vision for the character and the franchise (even if it means delaying the next release for a few more years yet). So recent news of his possible return is a bit anticlimactic to me and actually a bit off-putting, particularly if it means a continuation to the interconnected SP bunk. We have to remember that it is Craig who brought Mendes in and insisted on him coming back for a 2nd film. People have blamed Mendes for all the melodrama in the recent films, but one must remember that Craig is just as involved in the creative aspects as Sam. The only film where he had limited involvement was the first one, and that is by far the best of his run. He will only have more to do behind the scenes in any future film, and I'm not sure I want that.

Also, people shouldn't mention Mendes in the same breath as Nolan. They are both directors. That's about where it stops. Nolan is in a different league when it comes to crafting blockbusters. Mendes is art house. Nolan is not. For those who have a problem with his action scenes, go and watch the chase and truck flip in TDK and then get back to me.

I read speculation somewhere that EON may not want to release another Bond film in the same year as an MI release. I've thought about it, and I think I agree. 2019 is when this one is coming out, imho.
    001 wrote: »
    Craig has proven that he's a brilliant actor (there's Our Friends In The North as well as Bond). True he's been in a lot of crap since he took the role but poor choice in projects doesn't mean he isn't an amazing actor. He may not be the best Bond but he's by far the most talented actor to play the role imo. I think maybe his leading man days might end with Bond though. He's a brilliant actor but he isn't really an old school Hollywood star like Connery, Moore and Brosnan. Not a bad thing at all, just means that he isn't really leading man material unless he has a good script or character that suits him. I think we'll see more stuff like Logan Lucky, supporting character actor kind of roles, as well as being the lead in smaller films and plays. But I can't see him ever fronting another blockbuster when Bond is done with.

Our Friends in the North (TV Mini-Series) 1996, he was brilliant in a mini series 21 years ago ?

I wouldn't say DC is a brilliant actor especially after his acting in Spectre.
    Tom hardy etc are brilliant actors.

Does anyone else think DC is a brilliant actor?

Craig is about as good as an actor as Steve McQueen was. I think that basically sums it up.

Not! Even! Close!
    @talos-no wonder, us woman want a bit of flesh and sexy scenes. Other then in CR, when the female drool went overdrive, we didn't get that with him. Plus he isn't the type, who wants to be "loved" and idolysed. In a way, he threw all efforts to put him on the wagon with "our" other idols, back in our face. What remains are frustrated women, who think "fuck you". Sadly us females work like this.

Yeah, sure! Because the very much loved Moore and Brosnan were constantly topless posing throughout their tenure. You are really phenomenal. You're even willing to rather undercut your own gender, then to accept that your taste my be the one of a minority. Which in itself is absolutely OK, don't get me wrong.
    should have this mindset; "I'm just a professional doing a job."

That's how you get TND, TWINE and QOS, instead of Skyall.

And compared to SF I would take each of them gladly!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Why do you want to kill the franchise?
    The last I heard from him was Moses and that was apparently awful. Which role?
    Bale was incredible in The Big Short and is apparently working on a biopic from the same director (Adam McKay) on one of the great villains of all time, namely Dick Cheney.

He was also in Terry George's last film alongside Oscar Isaac entitled The Promise, set during the Armenian genocide.
    Oh ok, thanks. He seems to go into artsy films more . He sure has the talent.
    IMO its pretty much a given at this point Craig will be back
    @talos-no wonder, us woman want a bit of flesh and sexy scenes. Other then in CR, when the female drool went overdrive, we didn't get that with him. Plus he isn't the type, who wants to be "loved" and idolysed. In a way, he threw all efforts to put him on the wagon with "our" other idols, back in our face. What remains are frustrated women, who think "fuck you". Sadly us females work like this.

Yeah, sure! Because the very much loved Moore and Brosnan were constantly topless posing throughout their tenure. You are really phenomenal. You're even willing to rather undercut your own gender, then to accept that your taste my be the one of a minority. Which in itself is absolutely OK, don't get me wrong.

Now look hear. Whatever you do, don't mention the WAR.

You see, things could get a little Nazi, sorry I mean Nasty......
    bondjames wrote: »
    For those who have a problem with his action scenes, go and watch the chase and truck flip in TDK and then get back to me.
    That sequence has more to do with those special effects guys who I think also worked on a number of Bond films. Nolan may have called the shot, but he´s no major factor in it working out so well.

boldfinger wrote: »
    For those who have a problem with his action scenes, go and watch the chase and truck flip in TDK and then get back to me.
    That sequence has more to do with those special effects guys who I think also worked on a number of Bond films. Nolan may have called the shot, but he´s no major factor in it working out so well.
    Regardless, I'll take that over anything in any Bond film since CR's parkour sequence (ok, I may include SF's PTS in that as well). It felt real, gritty and tense.

The same goes for the Bane/Bat fight in TDKR. People go on about Hinx/Bond, and that may have been more visceral, but the Bat fight was more gripping to me. There was consequence and significance to it. An overconfident man being physically broken by an opponent he underestimated despite warnings. "Victory has defeated you".

That's testament to the director.
    Regardless, I'll take that over anything in any Bond film since CR's parkour sequence (ok, I may include SF's PTS in that as well). It felt real, gritty and tense.

The same goes for the Bane/Bat fight in TDKR. People go on about Hinx/Bond, and that may have been more visceral, but the Bat fight was more gripping to me. There was consequence and significance to it. An overconfident man being physically broken by an opponent he underestimated despite warnings. "Victory has defeated you".

I really love that scene. It's so intense and dripping with atmosphere. Every punch seems like it hurts. People criticise the fight coreography in those films and it is a bit stagey but I completely get what they were going for. It's a realistic Batman and a realistic Batman wouldn't fly around doing wire fu esque stuff like in the Arkham games. He's covered in armour. I liked the boxer/brawler angle they went for. And even though the coreography isn't brilliant the dialogue and atmosphere more than makes up for it. The lack of music and great sound design do wonders to, Bane genuinely comes across as terrifying. I was taken back to how I felt watching GF as a kid, when the sound of Oddjob's footsteps running down to get Bond in the vault put me on edge.

The whole scene is just brilliantly done imo, and that sort of thing is an example of why as much as I loved Nolan's films, the new ones don't appeal to me in the slightest. I saw the trailer for Batman vs Superman and that was more than enough. Zipping around dodging CGI explosions in a CGI looking landscape with there being no sense of atmosphere, just mindless destruction in the background (same as Man Of Steel, which I did see and which wasn't my cup of tea at all). Just doesn't compare at all to Nolan's version imo. I am excited for the next one though because the guy who made the last two (brilliant) Planet Of The Apes movies is directing.

This is not the 20th century anymore. What will kill the franchise is stream of bland entries such as TND and TWINE directed by workman directors.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

This is not the 20th century anymore. What will kill the franchise is stream of bland entries such as TND and TWINE directed by workman directors.

I agree, but what do you think about Nolan directing Bond 25?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

A string of SF will kill the franchise just as quickly as a string of TND/DAD/DAF/AVTAK. That's what you need to understand. If you are asking for quality Bond films, that's one thing, but to ask for 'more SF' is just as effective to kill the franchise as making multiple DAD in succession. Any Bond outing, be it a bottom one like DAD or a top one like CR, will have the same end result if you do a stream of entries of either of them. The Bond franchise's biggest reason to have survived 55+ years isn't going from a DAD to a CR, or a TMWTGG to a TSWLM, or a QOS to a SF; but that it never stagnates in a certain style.

It is, a statement of bloated thinness.

• edited July 2017 Posts: 11,425
    The Nolan Batman films never really did it for me. Bloated and overlong. I remember almost falling asleep in the third instalment. Watched all of them on the plane. Would still probably rate Keaton's era more highly.

However I've enjoyed enough of Nolan's films to still want to see him direct Bond. Visually his films are never less than stunning and we'd get a Zimmer score. I have little faith in EON's judgment so would wholeheartedly support a decision to get Nolan onboard to launch a new Bond and perhaps do a trilogy.

Nolan is not going anywhere though and is still 'young' so I'm fine with Craig doing one more. Preferably not another Mendes though.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 6,747
    should have this mindset; "I'm just a professional doing a job."

For what it's worth, "I'm just a professional doing a job" ≠ "I don't care about the job."
    Also, people shouldn't mention Mendes in the same breath as Nolan. They are both directors. That's about where it stops. Nolan is in a different league when it comes to crafting blockbusters. Mendes is art house. Nolan is not.

Yeah, but they're both famous.
    but that it never stagnates in a certain style.
    The problem with Bond movies such as TND and TWINE is that they don't even have a style, they are just generic action movies.
    what do you think about Nolan directing Bond 25?
    I want him to direct it as long as it's the first movie of the next era, with a new actor. The only way a Christopher Nolan Bond film can truly succeed is to let him write the script, let him do the second unit shooting like he usually does and let him take part in the selection of the new Bond. In other words, let him direct the most director driven Bond movie ever. What I am hoping is that Skyfall was the beta test for Nolan's Bond, in terms of giving more power to the director.

edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    The problem with Bond movies such as TND and TWINE is that they don't even have a style, they are just generic action movies.

No one is talking about quality, or how generic/original they are. No matter how good films like CR or SF are, making a string of outings like these is as certain a franchise killer, than a string of TND or TWINE. You can't have 4, 5 or whatever amount of successive outings where Bond and the main Bond girl fall in love, Bond quits his job and the Bond girl end ups being killed. Just like you can't make x amount of successive films where M has a deep personal connection to the villain who fakes being captured by MI6 only to escape and M ends up getting killed in the climax. In the same way, making endless films with WW3-stopping plots will drive the franchise intro the ground, or endless films where a close ally of Bond ends up being a traitor and the main villain.

That's what you can't seem to understand. SF was made in 2012, so EON can't keep making more films like SF otherwise the franchise will get ruined just the same if they'd have continued making more DAD's since 2002. Bond films should maintain a high quality, but they also must remain fresh. Making more SF defeats that purpose so it must not happen.

I really love that scene. It's so intense and dripping with atmosphere. Every punch seems like it hurts. People criticise the fight coreography in those films and it is a bit stagey but I completely get what they were going for. It's a realistic Batman and a realistic Batman wouldn't fly around doing wire fu esque stuff like in the Arkham games. He's covered in armour. I liked the boxer/brawler angle they went for. And even though the coreography isn't brilliant the dialogue and atmosphere more than makes up for it. The lack of music and great sound design do wonders to, Bane genuinely comes across as terrifying. I was taken back to how I felt watching GF as a kid, when the sound of Oddjob's footsteps running down to get Bond in the vault put me on edge.

The whole scene is just brilliantly done imo, and that sort of thing is an example of why as much as I loved Nolan's films, the new ones don't appeal to me in the slightest. I saw the trailer for Batman vs Superman and that was more than enough. Zipping around dodging CGI explosions in a CGI looking landscape with there being no sense of atmosphere, just mindless destruction in the background (same as Man Of Steel, which I did see and which wasn't my cup of tea at all). Just doesn't compare at all to Nolan's version imo. I am excited for the next one though because the guy who made the last two (brilliant) Planet Of The Apes movies is directing.
    I agree completely @thelivingroyale. It's all about the dialogue and the atmosphere in that scene. It's bone crunching and I certainly sensed the increasing desperation, horror, despair & ultimately excruciating pain which the Bat felt. He goes in there thinking it will be a walk in the park, and ends up in hell itself. I love that Nolan knows how to confer that in his films. The aforementioned truck scene in TDK is similar. Bat foolishly rushes in with the bike in a rage and goes down hard.

I agree on Reeves as well. I look forward to seeing what he can do with The Batman based on his work on the Apes films, although this iteration of Batman is already damaged goods to me on account of the cartoonish BvS, SS & upcoming JL.

----
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Also, people shouldn't mention Mendes in the same breath as Nolan. They are both directors. That's about where it stops. Nolan is in a different league when it comes to crafting blockbusters. Mendes is art house. Nolan is not.

Yeah, but they're both famous.
    Not quite. Not even close. I'm pretty sure if you asked a few people down the street who Sam Mendes is they wouldn't have a clue. Most people who like blockbuster films know who Christopher Nolan is. Mendes remains an art house guy. I've not seen any of his films outside of the two Bonds, but have seen nearly all of Nolan's.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,113
    what do you think about Nolan directing Bond 25?

The only way a Christopher Nolan Bond film can truly succeed

1. Let him write the script

2. Let him do the second unit shooting

3. Let him select the new Bond.

In other words, let him direct the most director driven Bond movie ever. What I am hoping is that Skyfall was the beta test for Nolan's Bond, in terms of giving more power to the director.

I wholeheartedly agree.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

No one is talking about quality, or how generic/original they are. No matter how good films like CR or SF are, making a string of outings like these is as certain a franchise killer, than a string of TND or TWINE. You can't have 4, 5 or whatever amount of successive outings where Bond and the main Bond girl fall in love, Bond quits his job and the Bond girl end ups being killed. Just like you can't make x amount of successive films where M has a deep personal connection to the villain who fakes being captured by MI6 only to escape and M ends up getting killed in the climax. In the same way, making endless films with WW3-stopping plots will drive the franchise intro the ground, or endless films where a close ally of Bond ends up being a traitor and the main villain.

That's what you can't seem to understand. SF was made in 2012, so EON can't keep making more films like SF otherwise the franchise will get ruined just the same if they'd have continued making more DAD's since 2002. Bond films should maintain a high quality, but they also must remain fresh. Making more SF defeats that purpose so it must not happen.

What you say is very true but let's give Nolan a bit of credit that he's capable of coming up with something original rather than just remaking SF.

What you say is very true but let's give Nolan a bit of credit that he's capable of coming up with something original rather than just remaking SF.

Of course, Nolan is fine, I was only commenting on Panchito wanting more SF.

I agree that bland entries have a better chance of killing the franchise. Arguably they were headed in that direction in the 90's (irrespective of how much money the films were making they were increasingly viewed as a joke, and Bond was fast losing cultural relevance in the marketplace and becoming another generic franchise headed for the dustbin of history).

I don't have a problem conceptually with action driven entries that stay off the melodramatic sauce. In fact I contend that we are in need of that after the last 10 years. However, they have to be executed properly, and that's where the 90's entries fell flat. If EON want to make a Cubby style 'light' film in the future they'd better get a director who knows what he's doing. During Bab's tenure, the only man who's proven he can do it so far is Martin Campbell.