No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    @dominicgreene -- lucky bugger, which part of the GTA are you from?
    I disagree. The Man from UNCLE was an outstanding film.

The Man from UNCLE was a great film.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    I will not be surprised if Bond 25 is released in cinemas by the end of 2018. There is still time for them to get all of it moving. There could be a lot of activity behind the scenes.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,983
    001 wrote: »
    I disagree. The Man from UNCLE was an outstanding film.

The Man from UNCLE was a great film.

One man's great is another man's grate. ;)
    Craig has proven that he's a brilliant actor (there's Our Friends In The North as well as Bond). True he's been in a lot of crap since he took the role but poor choice in projects doesn't mean he isn't an amazing actor. He may not be the best Bond but he's by far the most talented actor to play the role imo. I think maybe his leading man days might end with Bond though. He's a brilliant actor but he isn't really an old school Hollywood star like Connery, Moore and Brosnan. Not a bad thing at all, just means that he isn't really leading man material unless he has a good script or character that suits him. I think we'll see more stuff like Logan Lucky, supporting character actor kind of roles, as well as being the lead in smaller films and plays. But I can't see him ever fronting another blockbuster when Bond is done with.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    So, no Oscar bait for Daniel Craig? :p

By the by! Chances David Arnold return? Would you expect them to hire an entirely new composer?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    So, no Oscar bait for Daniel Craig? :p

By the by! Chances David Arnold return? Would you expect them to hire an entirely new composer?
    I'd prefer someone new, but if Craig is back there is just as much a chance of Arnold returning, because this could be a 'stub' film to close out his tenure and make some moola to boost MGM's books before they go all out for something creatively daring next time out.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    peter wrote: »

Oakville, Mississauga area. I see you're also from the GTA.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Lots of us on here. Timmer as well.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    So you compare the only Wonder Woman solo movie ever made as proof that a period Bond film would work? By that argument, would a Fast & Furious movie cross a billion dollars if they suddenly removed all car chases/stunts in the next outing? Would Star Wars Episode 9 cross a billion dollars if they suddenly spent the entire film in a single location, without any sequences taking place in outer space?

And if we take Wonder Woman as an example of 'period piece action movies being very successful', you forget that it's also a 'female heroine movie being very successful', so you are by default advocating that they should cast a female James Bond and it would be a major box office hit.

No. Not at all.

We can even say that Captain America: The First Avenger worked as a period action drama.

My point is simply that the original material (Fleming's novels) was set in a distinct period. It would not at all by a "bad thing" to take Bond back to that period. Admittedly, though, Bond films couldn't exist in that era for too long before getting stale.

I do think a Nolan-directed, Hardy-starring Bond would make EON a lot of money. no matter when it's set.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Oakville, Mississauga area. I see you're also from the GTA.

Downtown-- Queen West area... we should get "The Six" together, rent out a rep theatre, and run our own Bond-a-thon!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    If we want to get technical, even if EON were to make period piece Bond films, it is a fundamentally different thing than 'bringing Bond back to the Fleming time period'. The former can happen if EON wanted to, the latter is physically impossible.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Has this been posted already? Probably the most Nolan has EVER talked about Bond: http://www.mtv.com/news/podcasts/happy-sad-confused/christopher-nolan/ (the Bond stuff starts at 25:10)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Has this been posted already? Probably the most Nolan has EVER talked about Bond: http://www.mtv.com/news/podcasts/happy-sad-confused/christopher-nolan/ (the Bond stuff starts at 25:10)

Interesting interview. He seems very secretive about his Bond vision.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If we want to get technical, even if EON were to make period piece Bond films, it is a fundamentally different thing than 'bringing Bond back to the Fleming time period'. The former can happen if EON wanted to, the latter is physically impossible.

Not if Q invents a time machine.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Well, remember a recent quote,

" I would never tell you that. Those are the only cards I hold. It’s the only chance I have of scoring the gig
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883

Yes, very much so. He's also speaking hypothetically about it, which leads me to conclude that he hasn't been approached recently.

I listened to the entire interview. Very illuminating insight into how his mind works and what's important to him. Earlier in the interview he talks generally about what he likes to bring to a blockbuster film:

9:30 to 10:55.

"I want the tricks to be reinvented as it were"

There's the clue about what he probably could do with Bond.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Craig has proven that he's a brilliant actor (there's Our Friends In The North as well as Bond). True he's been in a lot of crap since he took the role but poor choice in projects doesn't mean he isn't an amazing actor. He may not be the best Bond but he's by far the most talented actor to play the role imo. I think maybe his leading man days might end with Bond though. He's a brilliant actor but he isn't really an old school Hollywood star like Connery, Moore and Brosnan. Not a bad thing at all, just means that he isn't really leading man material unless he has a good script or character that suits him. I think we'll see more stuff like Logan Lucky, supporting character actor kind of roles, as well as being the lead in smaller films and plays. But I can't see him ever fronting another blockbuster when Bond is done with.

Anyone suggesting that Craig isn't a brilliant actor as @thelivingroyale says has not seen OFITN, Craig is simply mesmerising in this and no their Bond has given a performance of this depth and ability outside the role.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    Daniel Craig's standing appears to be losing lustre by the day.

This is unfortunate, as he has been a spectacularly good Bond IMO.

Flawless in CR, QoS and SF.

CR was a near perfect Bond film.

In QoS, Craig's performance was diminished by the rapid-fire editing of the movie itself. It needed more time for his palpable grief to breathe.

SF was a little too ponderous for me, but that's on the director. Craig was brilliant in the role he was assigned.

SP is a strange case. I actually feel that Craig delivered the only performance he could have, being painted into a corner by the writers.

Despite my fears that the brand is currently overly dependent on Craig's desire to return, I think he is a fabulous actor and a dynamic Bond.

Like others, I have enjoyed the various tangents of this production diary thread. I have also noticed a subtle corrosion of the DC canon. Let's not let our (understandable) impatience diminish Craig's imposing legacy.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117
    Just saw Dunkirk. Without going into any detail suffice it to say that it hasn't really changed my opinion of Nolan either way.

I'm still a bit on the fence as regards his action sequences but the stirring last 20 mins or so at least shows he could do the patriotic Union Jack parachute aspects of Bond.

Think if he is so keen to do it EON would be insane not to take him up on the offfer as this is quite a British film and I can't really see why it would do much business stateside. Any money it does take in over there will be very largely based on the pulling power of Nolan given the lack of big stars.

The combination of the Nolan and Bond brands would be almost a lock in for $1bil.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I have also noticed a subtle corrosion of the DC canon. Let's not let our (understandable) impatience diminish Craig's imposing legacy.
    He'll apparently have an opportunity to redeem himself in the eyes of those for whom a little respect has been lost, if recent rumours are to be believed. I hope he delivers.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    On Nolan.

I like his films, but tend not to revisit them. They are great, thought-provoking spectacles, but I find little in the way of old-school entertainment.

One area of concern is his obvious calling card for Bond - the snow base in Inception.

Such a clear love letter to OHMSS, his favorite Bond (and mine).

The problem is, the sequence in the movie is flat and uninspired. The action is static and dull. The dramatic stakes do not escalate in satisfactory fashion. Inception, more than anything else, suggested to me that Nolan isn't a great fit for Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd he happy if he never directs one. Bond doesn't need Nolan.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Just saw Dunkirk.

Did you see it in IMAX? I want to see it in IMAX so bad.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd be on board for Nolan to direct on the condition he has a second unit director.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'd be on board for Nolan to direct on the condition he has a second unit director.

That's not going to happen methinks. Nolan shoots everything.
    I'd be happy to see a Nolan Bond film. It's highly unlikely he could mess it up, or send Bond into hiatus.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,113
    You don't straitjacket Nolan. Either give him the keys to the kingdom or go with a workman director instead. I don't think he would except anything less than absolute control at the helm, given the power he wields in Hollywood.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Then he needs to humble himself. He's weak when it comes to directing action, especially fight scenes.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    His dialogue is very weak too.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well, it's still a Bond film. To fulfill his dream he must be prepared to let the producers pass judgment. I'm saying it's workable, when he wants it and they want it.