No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    EON's been nothing but a let down since SPECTRE. Haven't heard an ounce of news, nor have they at least taken the time to let the fans know what the hell is going on with B25 or Daniel Craig for that matter. You'd think with all the rumors, speculation, and news reports, EON would come clean and actually state the truth. Very, very disappointing.

I don't think they've ever really caved to rumors, speculation, and false reports, lest they surely would've responded by now. They'll make an announcement when it's time.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    EON's been nothing but a let down since SPECTRE. Haven't heard an ounce of news, nor have they at least taken the time to let the fans know what the hell is going on with B25 or Daniel Craig for that matter. You'd think with all the rumors, speculation, and news reports, EON would come clean and actually state the truth. Very, very disappointing.

I don't think they've ever really caved to rumors, speculation, and false reports, lest they surely would've responded by now. They'll make an announcement when it's time.

Spot on. People take it as a personal attack, but it's very far from that. They are, when all is said and done, a family business. They aren't Marvel. They aren't Disney. When they know what's happening they'll let us know. They don't want to be caught with their pants down - something Marvel and Disney can deflect by shifting focus to one of a plethora of other films under their stewardship. EON don't have that luxury, hence their reluctance to pipe up with a few soundbites to please a minority.
    I still thinking steven soderbergh is getting Bond 25
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With every passing day it seems more and more likely that Bond 25 will be a Christopher Nolan film, starring a new actor as Bond. Good!

I wouldn't go Banco on that.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Finally some words of wisdom from @Creasy47 and @RC7.
    The Internet really is one big breeding place for mass hysteria. It'll happen when it happens and they'll talk when they talk.

I fail to see why so many here are making so much fuss over simple speculations and pseudo-scientific deductions about what the producers of one of the biggest film series will do next.

Somehow, Barbara Broccoli is taking a lot of heat too. If I understand some posts well, she can't wait to destroy the franchise by feminizing the whole thing up like a mad suffragette. She's become the black sheep in our "interbondum" discussions. And when the new movie hits well and hard, many members just "know" that Michael Wilson probably had had to sedate her to achieve this or that magnificent result. Yes, Cubby's daughter, producer of some of the most critically acclaimed and financially successful Bond films, has somehow turned into this forum's private toilet. You got issues with something? Blame it on "Babs" because she's a girl and what does she know, right? I mean, I keep reading tons of stuff about how she constantly sabotages the series, while most of the problems the series has ever faced were the fault of Harry and that a-hole Kevin McClory and many problems are still leftovers from Harry's clumsy conduct in '74.

But then the Internet is the place to be for people who "know" everything, who read the same bogus in ten different articles, not checking the sources, not realizing that one article with lies can easily spread around and spawn nine more citing the original article as a "reliable source" but no official source whatsoever. Internet lies spread like a virus; Internet hysteria and shared obsessions even faster. For some mysterious reason, many here have become obsessed with "Babs" as the ultimate antagonistic force behind the Bond productions, something I haven't found even an ounce of proof of yet. Like Vatican cardinals, more obsessed with sex than people who actually practice it, many here pretend they know more about Babs and her intentions with the series than folks who have actually walked in her office or had meetings with her and MGW.

I have learned my lesson by now. I'll start discussing things when we hear from EON. Meanwhile, whatever issues I may or may not have with the recent Bond films -- and I only have a few, if any -- are not directly aimed at Barbara Broccoli. I have faith in the producers. And whatever they deliver, I'll see it and review it. But as long as the cook hasn't ringed, I'll stay out of the kitchen and feed off some salty snacks. Plenty of those in my movie collection. The next Bond film will come but when and how and with whom and so forth remains to be seen and isn't something we have any saying in.
    Put it this way,we still have 24 other excellent films to watch until the news comes out...so relax and enjoy them ,as I have with TMWTGG & QOS today.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Put it this way,we still have 24 other excellent films to watch until the news comes out...so relax and enjoy them ,as I have with TMWTGG & QOS today.
    @barryt007, you´re a righteous man!

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Hear, hear @DarthDimi
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    If Daniel Craig doesn't want to commit to Bond... no worries.. I'm sure Disney will consider him for:

http://movieweb.com/aladdin-remake-disney-live-action-lead-actor-problems/
    According to a new report, the studio and director Guy Ritchie are having a really tough time locking down a lead actor for the role of Aladdin after seeing more than 2,000 auditions so far.

Daniel doesn't look that old. I'm sure he can look like an Arab teenager given the right make-up and some blurry cinematography. :P
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    So what was the consensus then? Is B25 in preproduction or not? I wasn't too clear what was decided after all the back and forth earlier.

Also, is preproduction when the script is being drafted, locations scouted etc.?
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    We don't even know when Purity will begin/end filming so it's all a bit of a mystery at the moment regarding Bond 25's production schedule. It's possible Craig could pull out of Purity if he's coming back to Bond but if he wishes to do Purity and Bond 25 then it's looking a very tight squeeze. Perhaps Bond 25 will be pushed back to winter 2019 making new 'Bond bloke' more likely!

The lack of any news about Purity is a bit strange. Perhaps it's never going to happen.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2017 Posts: 10,512
    bondjames wrote: »
    So what was the consensus then? Is B25 in preproduction or not? I wasn't too clear what was decided after all the back and forth earlier.

Also, is preproduction when the script is being drafted, locations scouted etc.?

No, Bond 25 is in development. Not pre-production.

And perhaps I should stress - that doesn't mean these developments will come to fruition. My understanding is it's being developed for Craig, but I just want to make that clear before @Mendes4lyfe graces with another pro-Turner diatribe.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    We don't even know when Purity will begin/end filming so it's all a bit of a mystery at the moment regarding Bond 25's production schedule. It's possible Craig could pull out of Purity if he's coming back to Bond but if he wishes to do Purity and Bond 25 then it's looking a very tight squeeze. Perhaps Bond 25 will be pushed back to winter 2019 making new 'Bond bloke' more likely!

The lack of any news about Purity is a bit strange. Perhaps it's never going to happen.
    Yes, I agree that it's a bit strange how quiet the buzz has been about that show.
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

No, Bond 25 is in development. Not pre-production.

And perhaps I should stress - that doesn't mean these developments will come to fruition. My understanding is it's being developed for Craig, but I just want to make that clear before @Mendes4lyfe graces with another pro-Turner diatribe.
    Thanks for clarifying.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,686
    At this point it seems very unlikely that 'Purity' will cause any delays for Bond 25 (assuming Craig confirms he is doing another Bond film). The reality seems like the opposite - Bond 25 would delay Purity once EON gets production on the new installment going. Which I doubt anyone would have a problem with that decision.
    I really hope for Daniel's final outing, he wears a classic black tuxedo with bowtie for the gunbarrel sequence.
    I think Daniel will be back regardless if it's 2018 or 2019
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2017 Posts: 7,969
    The more time that goes by, the more I'm reminded of the 89 - 95 hiatus. It's really eerie how similar the circumstances are. Back then, the focus was on establishing Bond's commercial viability, and updating from the cold war. Today, there's a great amount of discontent and festering frustrations at EON for continuing to neglect classic Bond. Not to mention, a serious era is usually followed by a lighthearted era. It all fits. I think it's important that we bear in mind, that once one era ends, the franchise quickly changes to accommodate a new actor and a new tone. All this talk about Craig being one tough act to follow is in some ways amusing, since no one was tougher to follow than Connery, and arguably Moore. EON have always been wily enough to know that they can't beat themselves at their own game. In order to be successful with a new actor, they have to reinvent Bond to best play to said actors strengths. Then how is an actor decided on? Well, it comes down to a combination of where cinema is heading and what they are looking to achieve with said actor. Are they trying to right the ship, or not rock the boat?

Right now they need someone who can deliver intensity and danger, and also ham it up when called for, something Craig lacked doing. It'll be something of an ultimate amalgam of the previous actors, perhaps the most ambitious yet, while on the surface perhaps appearing rather conventional. Again, I'm reminded of that 89 - 95 gap, and the film it produced. That was the dawn of the amalgam Bond, playing on the constituent elements from both Connery and Moore. With Bond 25 they will need an actor that can bring back that escapist Brosnan vibe from the 90's, but maintain that sense of realism that has been introduced in the intervening years. In a way, it's a return to the early 60's films which found that balance the best, and that we have been waiting for ever since.
    Bravo, such a lengthy post describing, why it's time for Turner without saying his name. But it's arguably one of your lesser ones among all the """"""ones you waste this space with.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sigh... Turner. Yes. Uhu. Let's see Craig finish his epic era first.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I really hope for Daniel's final outing, he wears a classic black tuxedo with bowtie for the gunbarrel sequence.

The gunbarrel should be the least of Eon's and our concerns.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I really hope Aidan Turner doesn't get anywhere near Bond, @Mendes4Lyfe sycophantic promoting is beyond nauseating.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,416
    Gunbarrel at start in Spectre was rushed to set there.

Bond not havig his ''wide look yet'', till that moment the search light is left where be, QOS.
    Closing the movie with search light, if that be possible.

Stil i think there is option it wil be back at the start with search light as symbol that this wil be the ''wide look movie''. But of course Eon should show there cards in his final movie. Or that can be Bond 26 we wil see.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Bravo, such a lengthy post describing, why it's time for Turner without saying his name. But it's arguably one of your lesser ones among all the """"""ones you waste this space with.

Cracking stuff GL.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    001) halve SP's budget
    002) remove Craig from creative decisions
    003) establish an ongoing bond script house with a revolving team of talented writers
    004) spend time on perfecting a ripping spy caper
    005) commit to a production schedule of one film every two years
    006) hire a proficient journeyman in the vein of Hunt, Glen or Campbell to direct
    007) allow Craig to continue but only if he adheres to the above schedule

Naturally, the above is merely a flight of fancy. I appreciate the cool heads who say "it'll happen when it happens", but that doesn't change the apparent transformation of EON into a matey clique with a heavy focus on vanity projects.

Which is, of course, entirely their prerogative. Just as it is the fans' prerogative to lament the lack of momentum in this space when so many other franchises are cashing in.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 485
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I really hope Aidan Turner doesn't get anywhere near Bond, @Mendes4Lyfe sycophantic promoting is beyond nauseating.

The more I've seen of Turner the more I think he just couldn't carry the Bond series.

Brosnan wasn't particularly a Bond actor I wanted or a representation of Bond I wished to see but he did have some good moments and as far as an amalgam Bond I don't think he can be bettered.

I sense Craig isn't done yet but even if he is, the next Bond needs to take us in another new direction again. It seemed that half of the press criticism about SPECTRE was as much about the redundancy of the franchise as it was about the film itself. Reliving a past era wont wash again. We just need a forward thinking and contemporary action-thriller peppered with those all essential Fleming elements that make it recognisibly Bond rather than a regurgitated Bond.
    Turner will never be Bond...
    I have to admit when I look at him I just think of how bad The Hobbit trilogy was.

I don't think he's AAA Bond material to be honest.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    I'd be rapt with Hardy, but I know that's not a widely popular choice.

I just think he'd be an immensely exciting, dynamic, unpredictable Bond. Bit on the short side, but we've trending downward with DC anyways :)

Also, I don't think Hardy would embrace the emotional themes that DC seems to have been encumbered with.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I'd be rapt with Hardy, but I know that's not a widely popular choice.

I just think he'd be an immensely exciting, dynamic, unpredictable Bond. Bit on the short side, but we've trending downward with DC anyways :)

Also, I don't think Hardy would embrace the emotional themes that DC seems to have been encumbered with.

Agreed....Hardy would be a great Bond.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,119
    'Production will begin later this year'

So that's filming early 2018. Ok not as long or complicated as a Bond shoot but to think that they will wrap this and then go straight into B25 from there is not realistic given their recent bleating about needing a rest, especially given they'll be far too busy with this to supervise a Bond script which needs to be in decent shape 12 months from now if 2019 is viable.

Looking like 2020 now at best so I think it's time to let Craig go.
    Calliope wrote: »
    Just to throw another spanner in the works:

"Blake Lively to Star in Spy Thriller from Bond Producers" - Production to start later this year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/blake-lively-star-spy-thriller-bond-producers-1020546

There you have it. I start repeating myself at times, but to this news article one of my previous posts is still fitting:
    If the rumour is true, and I wouldn't be surprised, then it shows that the owners of Bond, Broccoli and Wilson, and the writers of Bond, Purvis & Wade, lost all inspiration and creativity. I think they all got tired of the Bond franchise. And it's not just this rumour, it has been going on for a year or so now. Barbara Broccoli prefers to invest her money in Broadway productions. Michael Wilson keeps photographing for his photography collection or he indulges in his work for the Tate Modern Museum. Son Gregg Wilson prefers touring around the globe with his other hobby; electronical music. Purvis & Wade themselves take the Bond franchise way way too seriously, by saying nothing can be written anymore because the Silva's and Blofeld's from the films have become reality. And actor (and co-producer no less!) Daniel Craig doesn't even think about his fans, his Bond fans, by saying "Ooowh, I'm just too tired right now, but count on my return!!".

Ooowh, and I haven't even mentioned the continuous drag of movie company MGM, who owns the franchise half, but can't even distribute! The Bond films are always dependent on outside film distributors who like to come onboard for a nasty little percentage of the overall margin!

Add to that the sheer enthusiasm, from a producer's perspective and from the perspective of cast & crew, from competing action/spy franchises like Kingsman, Mission: Impossible, X-Men and even Fast & Furious, and I become highly depressed! Hugh Jackman, Tom Cruise, Colin Firth and many other big actors love to be part of longlasting franchises. Daniel Craig however puts up a middlefinger to his Bond role and Barbara Broccoli tolerates it in the meantime.

The current state of the Bond franchise....tires me, makes me feel depressed. I really think 'Cubby's' adage "Don't let them screw it up" needs to be looked upon again. Because I think 'they' are screwing it up right now. This latest rumour in which supposedly EON Productions seems to be interested in a Bond Cinematic Universe makes me shiver. Not to mention the fact that Babs & Michael doesn't even care about the big Bond fan community and their input! So before Barbara goes battling for more diversity in British films, perhaps she should first consult with her loyal fanbase! Now that's what I call real diversity, real out-of-the-box thinking.

I am a big Bond fan. But like I said last year.......do not expect a new Bond film as early as late 2019 or even late 2020. That in itself is bad for the market value and brand recognition of the Bond franchise as well. Slowly yet steadily other spy-/action franchises will take over the void that Bond is leaving behind.

I'm with you all the way.

I can understand if you want to make a kitchen sink drama or a comedy but I really fail to see the point of starting a new spy film franchise, which must be a risk financially, when you already have the rights to the greatest (and most bankable) one of all.

Except of course it lets them have a female lead so Babs can tick that diversity in her quest for a Damehood for services to film. And of course they're all made up because they can dust off bits of that Jinx script they were all so desperate to make a decade ago. No doubt P&W will be scripting this.

If you have no interest in Bond EON fine but at least don't hog the rights so no one else can make one.

Here's a nice article from Bill Koenig's Spy Command:
    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/eon-non-007-portfolio-bond-25/

In all honest opinion? I think EON Productions are starting to trash the Bond fan community these days. I can understand that without a distribution deal, no Bond film can be made. But really? EON invests all their money in two....TWO non-Bond film projects? With such a lacklustre attitude from a pre=produuction perspective on Bond,we might as well face the longest hiatus since the 6-year hiatus between LTK and GE. With a difference: This time there's a completely indifferent, lacklustre, creative void at EON House in Piccadilly.

It's time we Bond fans let our voices hear. And not just that, but to strongly oppose EON Productions towards the Bond franchise. In part EON is to blame, and if Daniel Craig stays Bond, then he might well look like this for his 25th film:
    OoWYUlI.jpg