Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hitman Season 1. Most definitely that one.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Cheers. Thanks for the feedback.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    My pleasure.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Hitman' season one, absolutely. I've been wanting someone to discuss this game with.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    HELP...NEED ADVICE

I'm looking to buy one of the following games for the PS4 and your input will be deeply appreciated.

Should I pick up either: Rise of the tomb raider OR Hitman Season 1?

I'm thinking of picking up both eventually.

Sniper Elite 4
    Having completed the game on Normal, I am now playing through each mission on Hard (it's not all that different from Normal), and also playing the odd multiplayer match.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Diablo 3 on the PS4
    diablo-3-necromancer-dlc-price-release-date-optimal.jpg

My friend and I loved playing this back when it was released. They just added more content and a new Necromancer class so we checked it out. It's pretty fun but not worth the $14 it is. Still though, it's nice to jump back into this game.
    Working my way through Resident Evil VII: biohazard. Very good game, a far cry from where the series (and films) were headed the past decade or so. Can't wait to see how the rest of it unfolds.

'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'

Completely awash in nostalgia and loving this as much as I did over a decade ago. Though, I must say, I'm not sure how 12-year-old me managed to beat some of the missions on this game without using cheat codes, because some can be horribly unforgiving.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    GTA is a series that isn't robbed of its fun or challenge by cheat codes. Sometimes, they enhance the series. GTAIV, I'd often cheat for armor and ammo and just siege against cops in a single location, and it never got old.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    GTA is a series that isn't robbed of its fun or challenge by cheat codes. Sometimes, they enhance the series. GTAIV, I'd often cheat for armor and ammo and just siege against cops in a single location, and it never got old.

Yeah, GTA IV was the point where Rockstar started putting in checkpoints in every release afterward because of complaints about the core game. The bank robbery mission alone is a sign that the game is willing to be a challenge, and the controls aren't as amazing and fluid to help you survive some scuffles as you'd like. I used cheats too in every replay I had of GTA IV's story, as I just wanted the experience of it and didn't want to be bothered restarting things if I ever did mess it up.
    That checkpoint system is sorely missed in the older titles. Put 10-15 minutes of work into a mission, fail at the end, just to restart it all from scratch. It grows tiresome on tougher missions.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That checkpoint system is sorely missed in the older titles. Put 10-15 minutes of work into a mission, fail at the end, just to restart it all from scratch. It grows tiresome on tougher missions.

That may also just be the culture of the time. Even in the NES/SNES days and approaching the PS1 and on there was a distinct lack of games waiting to hold your hand. There's so many games that are near unplayable from the time unless you devote the time to memorizing every part of a level to survive it with mastered timing and awareness. Fascinating, but not how I'd want to play games. ;)
    I do miss the days when more games were challenging, but there's a fine line between a tough challenge and something being ridiculously unfair (looking at you, World at War on Veteran difficulty.)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Tom Clancy Ghost Recon: Wildlands (PS4)
    In short burst this game is ok. I say short bursts, because each time I sit down to play it, the longer my session goes, my mind starts to turn to the other games in my pile (I have 3 games queued up ready to play once I have finished Wildlands). I won't bother with the DLC, once I have the story complete, i'll move onto the next game in my pile, and occasionally return to Wildlands for any outstanding trophies.
    In short burst this game is ok. I say short bursts, because each time I sit down to play it, the longer my session goes, my mind starts to turn to the other games in my pile (I have 3 games queued up ready to play once I have finished Wildlands). I won't bother with the DLC, once I have the story complete, i'll move onto the next game in my pile, and occasionally return to Wildlands for any outstanding trophies.

Seems the best way to play it. Looks like it gets repetitive real quick, which is what I alluded to last time. Ubisoft can be bad with that.
    I do miss the days when more games were challenging, but there's a fine line between a tough challenge and something being ridiculously unfair (looking at you, World at War on Veteran difficulty.)

@Creasy47, I somewhat agree, as long as it's reasonable as you say. The funny thing is that I always sabotage myself while playing hard games and make them easy, like certain open world games. The Witcher can be challenging, for example, but if you're like me and you explore and level-up constantly while doing random events unconnected to the main story, you become very tough early on and a lot afterward isn't a challenge. The game does have a way for you to make it more difficult, like wearing lesser armor so that each bit of damage you take is more critical, though. But as with most games, my addiction to them makes me do so much that it quickly becomes too easy on me.

I still hold that, even as a level 23 in an area where you only have to be a level 12, my Geralt goes exploring in areas with massively leveled monsters that can kill him in one swipe. One thing I love about the game, amongst many, is that you can always walk right into a new challenge and find yourself racing for your life to get away from it until you can hone your skills, level up a bit more and return when you're ready to face those hurdles. So in that way it has a balance between fun and comfort on easier levels, and dire difficulty in others where you can walk into a fight you can't win while simply exploring. I like that, as you always manage to be on your toes, and if you want to really risk it all the missions are open to you from the start, and even as a level 20 you can try a level 33 mission for kicks, if you want to fail a thousand times. ;)
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I'm really enjoying the Friday The 13th game. Captures the essence of the movie series perfectly. Great, ambitious achievement from an indie game company.
    'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'

Completely awash in nostalgia and loving this as much as I did over a decade ago. Though, I must say, I'm not sure how 12-year-old me managed to beat some of the missions on this game without using cheat codes, because some can be horribly unforgiving.

Everything about Vice City is great. The story, music, atmosphere. I've been obsessed with 80's music since I was introduced to this when I was younger.

Vice City may be the best of the bunch, although IV's story and characters definity give it a run for its money.
    Have you picked those GTA games up on the PSN store, @Creasy47? I see sales for them a lot and sometime I'll have to take the leap and go on a retro kick. I've never played the only GTAs, and only know a lot about them without ever experiencing the content for myself.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I recently got back into Horizon Zero Dawn. I have a collection of games that I have yet to beat and Horizon is one of them. After I finish it I'm going to dive back into Mass Effect: Andromeda and then either Final Fantasy XV or Earthlock Festival of Magic.
    DrNo wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the Friday The 13th game. Captures the essence of the movie series perfectly. Great, ambitious achievement from an indie game company.

I'm holding out for the physical release (if it happens, i'm not convinced that it will). With any luck, by the time of its release, Gun Media will have released more maps

Seems the best way to play it. Looks like it gets repetitive real quick, which is what I alluded to last time. Ubisoft can be bad with that.

It also doesn't help when enemy troops re-spawn in places where they simply shouldn't. As per objectives, I enter house, clear it out of troops, and begin hacking computer, but as I am doing that last bit, more enemy troops suddenly spawn in the room i'm in, and begin shooting at me. If I clear an area of troops, they should be replaced with resistance troops. Spawning should have gone out with "Rubber Banding" in racing games.
    Have you picked those GTA games up on the PSN store, @Creasy47? I see sales for them a lot and sometime I'll have to take the leap and go on a retro kick. I've never played the only GTAs, and only know a lot about them without ever experiencing the content for myself.

Absolutely - already got the Platinum Trophy for both GTA 3 and San Andreas, just two trophies from the Platinum for Vice City now, as well. Probably going to be the most time-consuming one.

@QsAssistant, they dropped two new free trophies for 'Horizon' with the release of a New Game +/Ultra Hard Mode, so I may have to return to the game at some point and try that out.

@MajorDSmythe, I saw some day one gaming videos that said when you were bound to fight incoming troops, they would spawn in illogical areas: hilltops, random forests, places that had no roads of any sort, yet they would simply appear in a vehicle. Sounds irritating.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    WUMO-comics-273077.jpeg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Sometimes you can even be rewarded for it.
    super-mario-3d-world-goomba-suit-small.jpg
    @MajorDSmythe, I saw some day one gaming videos that said when you were bound to fight incoming troops, they would spawn in illogical areas: hilltops, random forests, places that had no roads of any sort, yet they would simply appear in a vehicle. Sounds irritating.

That happens. All. The. Time. It's not all bad. The shooting mechanics are quite good. Sneaking through an enemy camp at night, it's raining, taking out the enemy soldiers using my silenced MP5, is quite thrilling.

That happens. All. The. Time. It's not all bad. The shooting mechanics are quite good. Sneaking through an enemy camp at night, it's raining, taking out the enemy soldiers using my silenced MP5, is quite thrilling.

That's how 'The Division' was for me: fun gameplay and customization, but it grew repetitive very, very quickly, and the AI was illogically bad at times, to the point of killing all interest in the game.
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Simply one of the greatest games ever still; fun and epic.
    And i'm done. I haven't completed the game, I just reached the point where the repetition and AI that did everything it could to piss me off, finally broke all interest I had in seeing the game through to the end. The original Assassin's Creed was called repetitive, but I can't say that it got to me there. I was too fixed on playing as a stone cold ruthless assassin in the times of the 3rd crusade.
    Still, on the upside, I now have more free space on my PS4s HDD, and according to GAME, I can get £18 cash, or £20 trade in for Wildlands.
    And i'm done. I haven't completed the game, I just reached the point where the repetition and AI that did everything it could to piss me off, finally broke all interest I had in seeing the game through to the end. The original Assassin's Creed was called repetitive, but I can't say that it got to me there. I was too fixed on playing as a stone cold ruthless assassin in the times of the 3rd crusade.
    Still, on the upside, I now have more free space on my PS4s HDD, and according to GAME, I can get £18 cash, or £20 trade in for Wildlands.

That's how I was with 'Assassin's Creed III,' though the completionist in me finally saw it through to the end, as painful as it was. That's Ubisoft in a nutshell for you, a majority of their games I've played end up becoming way too repetitive and annoying for me to press on - happily, anyway.
    Got Vice City, San Andreas and Bully from ps-store. Haven't gotten very far. These old gta's sure were hard to beat. Don't know how I beat these games when I was younger.

Nowadays I get frustrated way easier, I think.
    So I wen't back to my Batman games. I have to beat Arkham Knight before I try to beat Vice City and the other two ps2 oldies.