Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Welcome to the future, @Agent007391. I've got no complaints about the boss fight, as the pirate imagery won me over easy and I actually like Rafe as a villain in comparison to the others in the past. Try that fight on Crushing and then come back to me. ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    No. Crushing would likely make me want to hang myself.

As for Rafe, I think a part of my problem with him is that he's the Aldrich Killian of Uncharted. He was introduced in a flashback and is a villain for moderately petty reasons. Though I don't hate Iron Man 3, Killian was the weakest part and thus Rafe here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

As for Rafe, I think a part of my problem with him is that he's the Aldrich Killian of Uncharted. He was introduced in a flashback and is a villain for moderately petty reasons. Though I don't hate Iron Man 3, Killian was the weakest part and thus Rafe here.

He was introduced in flashback, but we actually got a lot of him in the present too. But really, when we speak of Uncharted, the villains aren't what people remember from the experiences as much as you do the feeling of the cinematic levels and the heroes that support the story. The best "villain" in the first game was Eddie, because he actually had a personality, but he barely classifies as a secondary threat. Lazarevic was just muscle and the stereotypical military man and three never began to realize Marlowe's potential as a psychological villain. So the series never reinvented the wheel, or really impressed when it came to villains.

I think Rafe is pretty good for a weak bunch. He's perhaps the most "normal" of the lot, but the intention with the game was to ground it a bit. I like that he was so deluded in his head by the stories he'd heard of Drake's accomplishments and how, as a child of wealth, he never felt like he earned anything and actually despised the silver spoon in his mouth, which I've never seen toyed with before since you usually see rich characters arrogantly throwing money around. And of course his greedy motivations and drive to get the treasure at any and all costs is a mirror of the situation with the pirates and why they never realized their "paradise." In the same token Rafe becomes like Desmas, the thief crucified next to Jesus who had no regrets for his greed, in comparison to Drake who is like Dismas and actually learns from and understands the consequences of his actions by not being tempted by the treasure and being willing to leave it all behind for more important things.

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I like the story and thematic content of the game and how all the characters feed that underlying narrative in some way.
    GT:SA
    Grim Fandango Remastered

... and now that I downloaded Dragon Agen Inquisition, that has taken all my time. I'm hooked on this game. Takes all my free time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Yeah, that fight on Crushing was the polar opposite of what I deem fun. A lot of whining occurred when I went through it on that difficulty attempting to beat it. Was tough but I wasn't missing out on that Platinum.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

the idea of The Lost Legacy involving Nadine Ross doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I do agree with you but since I'm a major fan of the first four games I feel I must checkout The Lost Legacy. I am glad they retired Nathan Drake only because I don't want them to drag the character into the ground (like how they did with Sam Fisher in the Splinter Cell series).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'll likely check out Lost Legacy as well, and I'd still like to play Golden Abyss one of these days.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Elite Dangerous
    I'm progressing at a snails pace, but at least the 1,000 credits the game started me of with is now up to 318,000 credits. I am also still using the Sidewinder, so I suppose I should look into either upgrading it, or buying a better craft.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Elite Dangerous
    I'm progressing at a snails pace, but at least the 1,000 credits the game started me of with is now up to 318,000 credits. I am also still using the Sidewinder, so I suppose I should look into either upgrading it, or buying a better craft.

I was looking at this a few days ago on Xbox Live still not decided whether to purchase it, I had Elite on the Amiga back in the 80's loved the original game. Is it worth the money and is it necessary to get the Legendary edition?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Elite Dangerous

I was looking at this a few days ago on Xbox Live still not decided whether to purchase it, I had Elite on the Amiga back in the 80's loved the original game. Is it worth the money and is it necessary to get the Legendary edition?

I'm playing it on the PS4, but as far as I can tell, there is only the Legendary Edition. As for if it's worth the money, well, the map is big, I mean really BIG. In terms of star systems to visit, I have seen the number 400,000,000,000 quoted, and I can believe that.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Elite Dangerous

I'm playing it on the PS4, but as far as I can tell, there is only the Legendary Edition. As for if it's worth the money, well, the map is big, I mean really BIG. In terms of star systems to visit, I have seen the number 400,000,000,000 quoted, and I can believe that.

Whoa that is vast I have watched a few YouTube channels with in game footage, I heard it is a slow burner though I loved the original will buy it cheers. Flying through space from star system to star system has always been appealing.
    Elite Dangerous

Whoa that is vast I have watched a few YouTube channels with in game footage, I heard it is a slow burner though I loved the original will buy it cheers. Flying through space from star system to star system has always been appealing.

Oh it is definitely a slow burner, and at the start, you will feel very lost.
    Elite Dangerous

Oh it is definitely a slow burner, and at the start, you will feel very lost.

I like a game I can play over time, pick it up now and then
  • @QsAssistant @Creasy47 thanks for the help guys. I do play on Xbox One so decided to go for it, just ordered it on Amazon. I'm really excited to get back into it. I'm already thinking about what factions to join and what sort of character to make.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,492
    @QsAssistant @Creasy47 thanks for the help guys. I do play on Xbox One so decided to go for it, just ordered it on Amazon. I'm really excited to get back into it. I'm already thinking about what factions to join and what sort of character to make.

Happy to help! Keep us posted on your thoughts as you make your way through.

I can't wait for the inevitable 'Elder Scrolls VI,' shame it's still another four or five years out, at least.
    Elite Dangerous
    I bought a Hauler, and upgraded it to near enough the maximum (I had to sacrifice a little of one thing, to improve something else). I have now discovered 5 planets, or about 5. How great is that? Every player can explore each planet, but only one player can discover each planet, so your username shows as "First discovered by ______".

One upgrade I would really like to see, is some sort of valet option, to bring my craft to me. Either that, or make it easier to find out what craft I have stored at each station. Now, if I can remember where I parked my Sidewinder, I might upgrade and use it for another purpose (not exploring... maybe bounty hunting).
    Elite Dangerous
    I bought a Hauler, and upgraded it to near enough the maximum (I had to sacrifice a little of one thing, to improve something else). I have now discovered 5 planets, or about 5. How great is that? Every player can explore each planet, but only one player can discover each planet, so your username shows as "First discovered by ______".

One upgrade I would really like to see, is some sort of valet option, to bring my craft to me. Either that, or make it easier to find out what craft I have stored at each station. Now, if I can remember where I parked my Sidewinder, I might upgrade and use it for another purpose (not exploring... maybe bounty hunting).

It's my day off tomorrow think I'll upload Elite Dangerous then, I remember the Sidewinder back in the old Elite game. Graphics sure have come along way...

amiga.gif
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Batman the telltale series season 2 episode 1. Should I say there was more watching involved than actually playing? Still can't wait to see what happens next.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Batman the telltale series season 2 episode 1. Should I say there was more watching involved than actually playing? Still can't wait to see what happens next.

My guess is that you'll press a few more buttons. :D
    Batman The Telltale Series: The Enemy Within
    6f7ca56216da389d08eda9839fa1d03702fdb1a0.jpg?auto=format&fit=crop&h=353&w=616&ixlib=python-0.2.0&s=bf7321eb4135f9de80423483cb760a74
    Love that pic. It reminds of The Animated Series.

I really like this series and I'm looking forward to the next episode. I however didn't like...
    that they killed off the Riddler so quickly. I was under the impression he was the big baddie for this season. I thought it would be fun to solve more of his riddles, rather than just the one. Now it looks like Joker will be the big bad.
    An interview with Ellen McLain, AKA GLaDOS;
    No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises
    No-Man-s-Sky-Atlas-Rises-screenshots-273161.jpg

I know everyone's immediate reaction when hearing No Man's Sky is to trash it but with the new update it needs to be given a second chance. Hello Games finally delivered on their promise and more with the Atlas Rises update. I watched a few YouTube videos and was sold on the game once again. I bought it yesterday so I can't really comment too much on everything the new update offers but it does look better graphically. I'm not saying it has the best graphics ever but compared to what it was it looks a lot better.

As far as I know they added...
    -30+ hours of story
    -Better graphics
    -Better flight and space combat
    -One or more alien races
    -The random species you come across are better and less glitchy and stupid, but still weird
    -Exotic planets
    -Portals that allow you to jump from planet to planet.
    -A terrain gun that allows you to shape the terrain of the surface of a planet
    -Multiplayer (which is barely worth mentioning because other players are just floating orbs but hopefully they'll update it in the future to make it better)

I think there are a few other things but that's basically the meat of what they've added. I'm excited to see what they'll add in the future... if anything. Currently the game is sold for $23 on PSN. I say it's at least worth a bit of research to see if it's worth picking up again or for the first time.

Here's something to get anyone started that's interested...
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/14/no-mans-sky-atlas-rises-update-game

@QsAssistant I've played NMS since just after its release (purely because I bought a digital copy and couldn't return it) and I can say that they have greatly improved it. The most recent three major updates have brought the game a long way toward being like what the trailers promised. The only complaint that I have about this recent update is that they reset the universe afterwards and this meant that some of the planets that you previous discovered no longer exist. My home planet was the most beautiful planet I'd ever seen in the game, but after the update it was changed from a lush tropical environment to a dull, empty desert.
    I managed to tear my away from Sniper Elite 4 (I am having so much fun with that game), to play Dirt: Rally (PS4). I enjoyed this series when it was Colin McRae Rally. When the series became "Dirt", I played that first game, but didn't like how the focus had been shifted away from full on rallying. This is the return to the series rallying roots, and it is tough. I thought Richard Burns Rally was a tough game, but this... this game, is a challenge right off the start line.
    I'd love getting into more racing games, but I've always found a harsh divide between them being mind-numbingly easy to being controller-smashingly impossible. Like the difficulty jump isn't as gradual as it should be. For instance, I used to love 'Forza Motorsport.' But if you play them on an easier difficulty, it's laughably easy - it turns into a casual cruising game as you outlap the AI three or four times in one race. But then you tweak the custom difficulty by increasing/decreasing a few things, and you're required to be at the top of your game with each turn, lest you fail and have to restart.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I guess you can say the same for all genres, some games have an easier difficulty curve than others. I don't like how the car upgrades have been severely cut back. Colin McRae Rally 2005 had a much better upgrade system. I don't know why it was cut back so much.

I have Forza Motorsport for the original XBox, but I haven't played it so much. I prefer Gran Turismo 4 (my personal favourite GT game).
    I guess you can say the same for all genres, some games have an easier difficulty curve than others. I don't like how the car upgrades have been severely cut back. Colin McRae Rally 2005 had a much better upgrade system. I don't know why it was cut back so much.

I do love a good challenge in a game, but there's a difference between something that's challengingly fun and just cheap for the sake of it.

If you ever want to be robbed blind, go complete 'Call of Duty: World at War' on Veteran difficulty. You couldn't pay me enough money to endure that again.
    I might have played one of the PS2 era COD games, but I haven't played any of the modern games. I have heard that the single player modes are really just an ad-on for the multiplayer modes.
    I might have played one of the PS2 era COD games, but I haven't played any of the modern games. I have heard that the single player modes are really just an ad-on for the multiplayer modes.

They are, there was nothing special about them and they all felt akin to playing a Michael Bay film - but, WAW for some reason was easily the toughest campaign I've ever endured, at least on Veteran difficulty, anyway.

Pick it up one day and give it a shot. I'd love to speak with someone else about it, just so they understand how cheap and unforgiving it is.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd love getting into more racing games, but I've always found a harsh divide between them being mind-numbingly easy to being controller-smashingly impossible. Like the difficulty jump isn't as gradual as it should be. For instance, I used to love 'Forza Motorsport.' But if you play them on an easier difficulty, it's laughably easy - it turns into a casual cruising game as you outlap the AI three or four times in one race. But then you tweak the custom difficulty by increasing/decreasing a few things, and you're required to be at the top of your game with each turn, lest you fail and have to restart.

I've never been able to get into Forza. I completely understand why people love them, even though I'm not a massive car/racing nut (for a qualified mechanic I've never been that interested in cars, I like F1 and Top Gear but really I'm more into bikes myself) I appreciate the level of detail that goes into them, there's definitely a lot of love and passion and effort behind those games. But they're a bit too grounded for me. I don't think you can really replicate the thrill of circuit racing in a video game simply because it isn't the same as driving a real car.

That's why I've always loved the Need For Speed games because again it isn't the same but it doesn't try to be, those games are a bit more Fast and Furious, it's more action based so that makes up for it and the controls are a lot more arcadey and fun. Basically you're never going to be able to capture the experience of driving these cars very well in a video game so I'd rather they didn't try and instead focused on making it as fun and adrenaline inducing as possible. That's what NFS speed does, or used to (the last two games have been big disappointments).