Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    001 wrote: »
    GTA V PC.

GTAV-Flash-Gamers.jpg

Is this the greatest PC game ever made ?

If not what is ?

Doom. Doom II.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    GTA V PC.

GTAV-Flash-Gamers.jpg

If not what is ?

Red Dead Redemption, probably.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    GTA V PC.

GTAV-Flash-Gamers.jpg

If not what is ?

Not a PC game, sadly.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    GTA V PC.

GTAV-Flash-Gamers.jpg

If not what is ?

Not a PC game, sadly.

Ah, I read past that distinction. I'm not a PC man, so a bit at a loss.

I'm not a big fan of GTA V in the grand scheme, but I'm sure the PC mods make it more interesting.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    GTA V PC.

GTAV-Flash-Gamers.jpg

If not what is ?

Not a PC game, sadly.

Ah, I read past that distinction. I'm not a PC man, so a bit at a loss.

I'm not a big fan of GTA V in the grand scheme, but I'm sure the PC mods make it more interesting.
    Never bothered with the mods. I watch them on YouTube every now and then for entertainment. Otherwise, I don't have a knack for adjusting and extract files constantly in complicated ways to start the mod, which, in 8 times out of 10, will crash the game and damage it for good you're going to be forced to re-install it and re-play the whole experience. That's why I avoid mods. Especially the ones like the GTAs.
    I Wish they made Red Dead Redemption for the PC.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    This is the game that not only toppled the original game in my AC ranking, but restored my interest in the series. I know that AC1 had it limitations, but it was the first game, it provided the basline for all that followed, and it must have done something right,as 10 years on, the series is still going. The games that followed improved on AC1, but they never clicked with me like the first one did. Then AC3 came along, and at that point I all but threw in the towel on the series. It wasn't until I happened to be talking to someone about my thoughts on the games, when they suggested I try out ACIV:Black Flag, and i'm glad I did.

Next up, Assassin's Creed: Rogue. But before then, my ranking thus far...

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    2. Assassin's Creed
    3. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    4. Assassin's Creed II
    5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    6. Assassin's Creed III
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Final Fantasy XV: A King's Tale
    promo322867574

I got this for free back when I bought Final Fantasy XV but I'm just now getting around to playing it. So far it's pretty neat. It plays a lot like an old school arcade side scroller. After I beat it I plan on watching Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglave and then play Final Fantasy XV, which I have yet to beat. I got close to the end but got stuck on a boss and then upgraded my PS4 and got the Pro. So now I have to start all over but I really liked the game so I have no problems with that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,492
    'The Witcher 3' (PS4)

After only spending a few hours with it upon release (decided to move on to other games at the time due to some expectations I had that didn't materialize), I have finally returned to this in hopes of inevitably completing it and experiencing all the world has to offer. I wanted to start with a fresh slate, as the last time I barely made it out of White Orchard (or whatever the location of this first town is). Going to have to force myself to stop what I'm doing every few seconds to snap another screenshot, but the game is way too gorgeous.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Witcher 3' (PS4)

After only spending a few hours with it upon release (decided to move on to other games at the time due to some expectations I had that didn't materialize), I have finally returned to this in hopes of inevitably completing it and experiencing all the world has to offer. I wanted to start with a fresh slate, as the last time I barely made it out of White Orchard (or whatever the location of this first town is). Going to have to force myself to stop what I'm doing every few seconds to snap another screenshot, but the game is way too gorgeous.

@Creasy47, I can't believe it's been 7 months since you recommended The Witcher 3 to me and I set out to get it through a PSN deal. How the time flies!

I haven't touched it in about two months, and played it on and off since around the middle of summer, say mid-July, but it's not for lack of interest. I haven't had as much time to commit to all the stuff in the game in the last while and, to be perfectly honest, the content of the game and all there is to it exhausted me and was very intimidating as I went along. There came a point where I just had to step away for a while and get a break from it, as I just had too much of it after a while and over-binged on the open world, side missions and all the other stuff.

I don't know where I'm at progression wise, but I've done a great deal and have cleared the two major areas and am on to the third (the snow climate). I'll get back to it when my time is more free, and when I've got enough of a cleanser from it. Still love it, and was happily surprised by it to a great degree. The feeling of freedom and choice is cool, and Geralt is like an old age James Bond, Sherlock Holmes and Batman wrapped up into one man, which is fascinating to play. And after I finish the main game, I've got two DLCs that are each insanely long to complete on top of it. Gahhh!

It's definitely a beautiful game. I know CD Projekt Red got backlash initially from downgrading from the reveal trailer, but I still think it looks quite nice, especially the great character models and creatures that you run into. The scenery is not as realistic as what was initially shown, but I love the look of it and the color, like you're riding on horseback through a watercolor painting. The diversity of the locations is also great, and you feel like you're traveling in a lived in, ever changing world of vast climate.

I take it you've seen the screenshots of one of the DLC locations, Touissant? How beautiful is that? It seems like this perfect countryside near a castle that was designed to purposefully contrast from the war-wracked lands Geralt occupies. So beautiful!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I know exactly how you feel, and it happens to the best of us, for sure. I remember playing 'Elder Scrolls Online' nearly nonstop for what felt like a week or so, before I hit a wall from just how much I had played - I had to stop with an inevitable plan to return one day.

"Riding on horseback through a watercolor painting" is a perfect description. This game oozes colors, particularly in the sun and skies: instead of a generic, orange sunny day, you get bits of red and purple and maroon splashed throughout the sky. Storm clouds actually form, too, when it's getting nasty out, as the bushes and trees whip in the wind. It adds another great level of immersion for me.

I'll definitely pick up the DLC once I complete the base game, and while I haven't seen any shots of the DLC itself in many months, I do recall one of them being so colorful and detailed looking, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I can only assume that location was Touissant, the one you mentioned!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I know exactly how you feel, and it happens to the best of us, for sure. I remember playing 'Elder Scrolls Online' nearly nonstop for what felt like a week or so, before I hit a wall from just how much I had played - I had to stop with an inevitable plan to return one day.

"Riding on horseback through a watercolor painting" is a perfect description. This game oozes colors, particularly in the sun and skies: instead of a generic, orange sunny day, you get bits of red and purple and maroon splashed throughout the sky. Storm clouds actually form, too, when it's getting nasty out, as the bushes and trees whip in the wind. It adds another great level of immersion for me.

I'll definitely pick up the DLC once I complete the base game, and while I haven't seen any shots of the DLC itself in many months, I do recall one of them being so colorful and detailed looking, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I can only assume that location was Touissant, the one you mentioned!

@Creasy47, just talking about it makes me want to jump back into the game again. I am surprised I can still recall so many of the decisions I've made, because I've played so many side missions and made so many big and small choices, but I guess that's really down to the game's memorability and the impact it can have.

I really like the choice it gives you, where you're free to play whatever Geralt you want and the decisions you can have him make, some of which contradict others you've made because of a particular feeling he has in the moment, realize him as a very real and human character. I usually don't care for fantasy, but this game has all the bit of fantasy that I like, where magic isn't an insane focus and instead, there's more medieval type storytelling with kings, errant knights, princesses, class wars and a commentary on a world getting by in war. Even the creatures are very much in tune with mythology and not over the top, and there isn't too much of a focus on the fantastical. The world feels like our own with our own worries-poverty, protecting our loved ones, surviving-that just happens to have some scary creatures in it, and I think the reality it's able to convey goes a long way toward making it very memorable.

I've heard great things about the DLC and apparently both releases are at least 30-50 hours in length on their own, so even the extra content of this game is three times longer than most other titles on the market that aren't from the RPG world. Absolutely nuts, but I'll be sad when I've done it all. I think that'll be for a long time yet, though, and you can bet I'll be getting a Platinum on this one, or will die trying.
    If you're digging the whole medieval/lack of magic feel of this, I suggest you check out 'Kingdom Come: Deliverance,' which is dropping on the PS4 in early 2018. Apparently an insane amount of detail and historical accuracy went into it, looks like it could be fun.

Just got to Vezina (I think it's called?) and met with the Emperor. I'm incredibly close to where I last left off, so I'm eager to experience some "new" content now. Cleared up everything there was to do in White Orchard - acquired any Gwent cards, explored all areas, cleared out all the monster nests, etc.

I'd love to get the Platinum on this one eventually. My goal now is to likely wrap up all the base game trophies (sans the difficulty ones), then jump into/complete all the DLC, and finally, do a New Game + on the hardest difficulty to get the Platinum. With how in depth and massive the game is, I feel it'll be just as rewarding as unlocking the Platinum for 'Skyrim,' only a lot tougher.
    How many members do we have here who still play Nintendo games? I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan and never switched to Sony or Microsoft for gaming.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    How many members do we have here who still play Nintendo games? I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan and never switched to Sony or Microsoft for gaming.

Nintendo typically has a fun title or two I'd enjoy playing every so often, but their line-up has scarcely included enough that would warrant me purchasing a new console. The last Nintendo console I owned was the N64.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I still play Nintendo games, but that's mainly because I can't afford a PS4. :P Gaming has become a very expensive passtime. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Nintendo typically has a fun title or two I'd enjoy playing every so often, but their line-up has scarcely included enough that would warrant me purchasing a new console. The last Nintendo console I owned was the N64.

At one point, I did buy a Gamecube, but the only games I bought for it were the Resident Evil remake, and Resident Evil 0, as well as Tetris. Eventually I sold it on. From time to time, I do like to fire up my N64 and revisit the likes of GE, TWINE, Body Harvest, Mission: Impossible etc...
    If you're digging the whole medieval/lack of magic feel of this, I suggest you check out 'Kingdom Come: Deliverance,' which is dropping on the PS4 in early 2018. Apparently an insane amount of detail and historical accuracy went into it, looks like it could be fun.

Just got to Vezina (I think it's called?) and met with the Emperor. I'm incredibly close to where I last left off, so I'm eager to experience some "new" content now. Cleared up everything there was to do in White Orchard - acquired any Gwent cards, explored all areas, cleared out all the monster nests, etc.

I'd love to get the Platinum on this one eventually. My goal now is to likely wrap up all the base game trophies (sans the difficulty ones), then jump into/complete all the DLC, and finally, do a New Game + on the hardest difficulty to get the Platinum. With how in depth and massive the game is, I feel it'll be just as rewarding as unlocking the Platinum for 'Skyrim,' only a lot tougher.

@Creasy47, Vizima is where the action of the game really heats up and you find out what the whole story of the game will be about. It was quite cool to dress up as Geralt to talk with the king; lots of intrigue, in a medieval way that felt Bondian too.

So there is a New Game+ for this game? I wasn't aware. If you have to beat the game that way and on a certain difficulty to get one trophy it'll take me a tad longer than I expected to Platinum, so I may come back to it after my first playthrough is done. I wouldn't want to beat it and then jump right in again, so I'll need to let it all breathe and come back at another time when I feel the craving again.

I'll have to check out the Kingdom Come game too, first I've heard of it. Thanks for the recommend!

@FoxRox, I grew up with Nintendo and the Game Boy and GameCube are really what propelled me to being a gamer. When I was in my early teens I shifted to Sony's PS2 and PS3 (and now PS4) when I was disappointed with the direction Nintendo went. I didn't care for the idea of the Wii or Wii U, and Nintendo's failure to bridge the triple-A gap and really do anything new (how many Mario and Zelda games can we have?) just didn't interest me. Other systems outside Nintendo's just fit what I expect from games more, and Sony's exclusives are the best of the medium with the kinds of mature storytelling that Nintendo can't really pursue because of their kiddie image.

I was at first skeptical of the Switch and how it would be perceived, but I'm happy to see that Nintendo have found better footing following the Wii U debacle and their partnership with Ubisoft that shows their triple-A goals, the release of the new Zelda and the upcoming Mario game all seem to be exciting endeavors for them. I hope they really use the system's potential to push new content too, while experimenting with the properties people love, like the obvious RPG influence on Zelda that fits that world and the open world nature of the Mario game that seems quite varied and vibrant. It's only their game to lose now.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 40,492
    I believe New Game + was added a month-ish after the game had released. It's not required for the Platinum - you could technically unlock it during your first and only playthrough - but it's much easier, given that your level, items, etc. all transfer over. Figured it'd be leagues easier than starting from scratch.

I just arrived in Velen/No Man's Land, I believe. Found a good spot right by the tree you fast travel to with five wolves, constantly reloading my save in hopes of getting the trophy for taking five out without taking damage, but it's a pain.

EDIT: One more trophy I needn't worry about now. Damn, the most annoying aspect was the consistent reloading and waiting a solid minute or two to try again.
    Good to see we have some people who enjoy Nintendo. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox are my favorite game franchises so I stick by Nintendo to enjoy those games. For me personally at least, I thought the SNES, N64, and GameCube were the best Nintendo systems because they had the best games! Outside of Nintendo I play on my PC fairly often, and I used to have a PS2.
    I believe New Game + was added a month-ish after the game had released. It's not required for the Platinum - you could technically unlock it during your first and only playthrough - but it's much easier, given that your level, items, etc. all transfer over. Figured it'd be leagues easier than starting from scratch.

I just arrived in Velen/No Man's Land, I believe. Found a good spot right by the tree you fast travel to with five wolves, constantly reloading my save in hopes of getting the trophy for taking five out without taking damage, but it's a pain.

EDIT: One more trophy I needn't worry about now. Damn, the most annoying aspect was the consistent reloading and waiting a solid minute or two to try again.

@Creasy47, I can't remember if I got that wolf trophy, but with how much roaming and hunting I did, I sure hope I have! The trick with most enemies in that game is just constant dodging and rolling. What for a wolf to approach, dodge back and slash at it misses you in mid-air or as it lands.

At times the fighting can be slower than you think it should be, so it takes some getting used to. Fighting human enemies is the most fun for me, especially with how you can parry arrows back at them with a certain ability and all the killing animations.

There's a lot of thought put into the game by the developer, and I get so overwhelmed by it all. Just the skills tree alone, where you must strategize and put points in limited areas to enhance either fighting, magic, potions or general abilities gets me all anxious, as you can only have a total of 12 abilities at a time. It takes a lot of deliberation and awareness of what kind of player you are to use your points effectively. I'm a big combat guy in all games and get up close and personal, so I'm half combat and half magic for my skills. Potions don't interest me and I think I'm good enough that I don't take enough damage to have to heal all the time, so I never bother wasting my points on all that. I don't use many potions/bombs/oils on the enemies either, as I like to face them with just my sword the old fashioned way. All those herbs in my inventory, and I never use them!

You should see the inventory I have in the chests you have in every major location to store an unlimited amount of things. I steal every book I come upon (a criminal bibliophile, I am), so I've got dozens of books saved away, including about a hundred tons of armor and swords, on top of all the letters I come upon. It's a headache to go back to the chest and take things out to use, but I'm glad the game has that feature otherwise I'd have to sell most everything I have!
    Yes, I don't believe I've touched a single potion/oil just yet. Haven't felt the need to.

As for the wolf trophy, it was simply for killing five enemies without taking damage - I only did it on that pack of wolves because there was five of them exactly, and they were all level one. Finally just lined them up, cast the fire sign, and boom, trophy popped.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Observer (PS4)
    header.png

An interesting game I downloaded yesterday. I haven't gotten very far into it but it's easy to see that Blade Runner was a big influence on the look of the world. Speaking of Blade Runner, Rutger Hauer provides his voice and look for the main character.
    The game is pretty basic in terms of gameplay. You just walk around an apartment building, that you're trapped in, and talk to residents through their doors to investigate what happened. The real experience is when you, an enhanced human, can enter the minds of the living or dead, as long as they're an enhanced human too. That's when the game gives you jump scares. I'm not far enough into it to be able to recommend this game but I am looking forward to playing more of it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    WUMO-comics-kids-cruelty-2379447.png
    Assassin's Creed: Rogue
    And so we come to the last AC game of the 7th generation consoles. Playing as an Assassin turned Templar is a massive change for the series. Truth be told, I didn't like this game when I first played it. Now though, i'm glad Ubisoft shifted the focus from the Assassins to the Templars. Seeing the conflict from the other sides add an extra dimension.

Next up, Assassin's Creed: Unity. But before then, my ranking thus far...

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    2. Assassin's Creed: Rogue
    3. Assassin's Creed
    4. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    5. Assassin's Creed II
    6. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    7. Assassin's Creed III

The Witcher 3

Still having an absolute blast with this, minus an odd complaint or two here and there, but nothing overly gamebreaking. Have had a few crashes/the craziest glitch that cheated me out of a missable trophy, but thankfully I had an old save to return to so I didn't miss it.

I FEEL like I'm getting relatively close to the ending, but at the same time, I still haven't even touched the Skellige Isles (the completionist in me wants to find every location/complete every mission along the way), and I also thought I would arrive there around 20 hours ago, but every time I feel like I'm about done with the area, a new, lengthy quest pops up - not that I'm complaining, you scarcely see quest variety of this type. I loved Skyrim, but damn does it grow repetitive after a while.

A little over 1/3 of the way through the base game trophies. I still plan on completing the game, then completing both sets of DLC before I go for the Platinum via a NG+ to beat it on the hardest difficulty.

If you're an RPG fan and haven't played this yet, get around to it ASAP.
    The Witcher 3

Still having an absolute blast with this, minus an odd complaint or two here and there, but nothing overly gamebreaking. Have had a few crashes/the craziest glitch that cheated me out of a missable trophy, but thankfully I had an old save to return to so I didn't miss it.

I FEEL like I'm getting relatively close to the ending, but at the same time, I still haven't even touched the Skellige Isles (the completionist in me wants to find every location/complete every mission along the way), and I also thought I would arrive there around 20 hours ago, but every time I feel like I'm about done with the area, a new, lengthy quest pops up - not that I'm complaining, you scarcely see quest variety of this type. I loved Skyrim, but damn does it grow repetitive after a while.

A little over 1/3 of the way through the base game trophies. I still plan on completing the game, then completing both sets of DLC before I go for the Platinum via a NG+ to beat it on the hardest difficulty.

If you're an RPG fan and haven't played this yet, get around to it ASAP.

@Creasy47, I had just gotten to Skellige when I dropped off for a bit, and my feelings exactly match your own. I'd done so much in the game, thinking it must be over, but apparently there's still loads, loads more on top of the DLC stuff too (I have the game of the year edition, with the DLC content built into the main game from the start). I was continually surprised how the game would keep throwing content at me when I thought I'd be moved along hours before, but that is a testament to the size of the thing.
    I'm reading that the two paid DLC net an extra 30 hours, if not more depending on how much you explore. Don't mind if I do.

This is random, but the glitch in question earlier was part of the horse races. I completed all of them in Velen and Novigrad, and got the quest to compete in the horse race derby. If you accept it, it teleports you to the start line...only it teleported me on Roach, sitting underwater in the middle of the sea, zero exaggeration. The start timer counted down to 0, and I said "screw it" and went to gallop...and Geralt dives off the horse, into the abyss, and I fail the race. Was stunned at how glitchy it was.

Thankfully, those seem to be incredibly few and far between thus far. My only other complaints are minor, like not being able to go from an in combat/passive status whenever I'd like, which can make fleeing combat a pain at times. Any other issues are so minor to me; game is incredibly gorgeous, lush, and in-depth, it's hard to pay mind to any negatives when I'm this engaged.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I'm reading that the two paid DLC net an extra 30 hours, if not more depending on how much you explore. Don't mind if I do.

This is random, but the glitch in question earlier was part of the horse races. I completed all of them in Velen and Novigrad, and got the quest to compete in the horse race derby. If you accept it, it teleports you to the start line...only it teleported me on Roach, sitting underwater in the middle of the sea, zero exaggeration. The start timer counted down to 0, and I said "screw it" and went to gallop...and Geralt dives off the horse, into the abyss, and I fail the race. Was stunned at how glitchy it was.

Thankfully, those seem to be incredibly few and far between thus far. My only other complaints are minor, like not being able to go from an in combat/passive status whenever I'd like, which can make fleeing combat a pain at times. Any other issues are so minor to me; game is incredibly gorgeous, lush, and in-depth, it's hard to pay mind to any negatives when I'm this engaged.

@Creasy47, I had a glitchy experience during a big horse race too. It was the final one for the area (around Novigrad) and as the cutscene prepared to lead in to the race, I think something happened where all the other races besides maybe one or two disappeared and it was really just me racing around (my mind is a tad foggy on exactly how it went). At the end I thought, "Is that it?" as I assumed the race was going to be way more difficult with more racers.

I think it's pretty amazing on the whole how CD Projekt made the game look and run so consistently well given how massive it is. I know some downgrading did occur over time, but I love the look and feel of it, and how the colors pop, which they didn't in earlier footage. The only big mark I have against it is the reuse of actors and character models, where you can hear the same kids' voices in every other village along with the same group of character models for kids and adults. At times it's amusing to pick out a character you know you killed in one scene that has been reused as an extra in a crowd, etc. I even ran into a lot of kids who looked like the ones in the bog when you help the baron, and thought "You lads got far." ;) Still, nothing that would go beyond a nitpick, and the positives way offset anything else.

Just talking about it with you makes me tempted to jump in again.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Jumped back in to replay a few levels in Uncharted 4. I wish I had realized when I first started this series that the games are far more enjoyable on their easiest difficulty. I always found the bullet-sponge enemies to be, not necessarily too difficult, but just tedious. On Explorer difficulty with lock-on aim, this game becomes, mechanically, as great a third-person shooter as EON.