Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

I enjoyed playing the Black Mesa "event" from the point of view of different characters. The sequel was good, as well. It's frustrating to see Gabe Newell always talks about a potential third game in such a ridiculously oblique way; after thirteen years, Valve still won't commit to doing it but won't discard it either. I do get the feeling the eventual resolution of the story would've been a letdown, though. It always seemed to be building toward something it probably couldn't deliver.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I enjoyed playing the Black Mesa "event" from the point of view of different characters. The sequel was good, as well. It's frustrating to see Gabe Newell always talks about a potential third game in such a ridiculously oblique way; after thirteen years, Valve still won't commit to doing it but won't discard it either. I do get the feeling the eventual resolution of the story would've been a letdown, though. It always seemed to be building toward something it probably couldn't deliver.

The sad thing is that a good portion of the creative team that worked on the Half-Life series is gone from Valve, and they're so focused on Steam anymore. Even if they did another installment or even DLC, I'm not sure it'd be on the same level of quality.

I pine for another Left 4 Dead, as well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Half-Life's future is sadly dead. One of the developers posted a short story about Gordon Freeman and his unit heading towards a ship of aliens and whatnot, which was a continuation of Half-Life 2: Episode Two and described it as a fan fiction a month ago. Many have assumed it was the actual story of what was going to happen in the game series' future installment. He also said that a third game is not happening anytime soon, if at all.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm still waiting for fans to turn that fanfic into a game all its own.
    Agreed. Just like Black Mesa was done by the fans and felt like a solid game. A different game even that followed the same storyline.

And yes, I played those expansion packs of the first game both on PC and that one made exclusively for PS2 (wasn't that the one with two female protagonists?).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Yes, it was. And Black Mesa is amazing. When it's finished, I'll buy the Steam version, but for now, I've just got the mod and I love it.
    The one thing I don't like about Half-Life is the fact Gordon is mute. It's awkward, and more so in the sequel, which has several important characters talking directly with Gordon... but no answer from him.
    Mute characters were popular at the time. Gordon is a leftover from the mid-to-late 90s.

Doomguy is mute (except for the Doom 3 version), BJ Blazkowicz used to be mute, Claude from GTA III is mute... It was the cool of that day.
    All three Doom 3 Doomguys (Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Mission) are still mute.

But, yes, the silent protagonist was very popular. Some still persist, such as certain COD protagonists, Pokemon protagonists, Link from Legend of Zelda, Fallout and Elder Scrolls protagonists, the Dark Souls protagonists (I think, I've barely played the first one and played none of the sequels).

Okay, the silent protagonist is still a popular trope. There are some subversions, like Chell from Portal, who doesn't talk, but only because she doesn't want to give GLa-DOS the satisfaction. Gordon Freeman's got a damn PHD that never factors into the franchise, I assume he does talk, but just not during the games.
    All three Doom 3 Doomguys (Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Mission) are still mute.
    They were? I remember at least one of them talked through the cutscenes. Then again, it's been a long time since I've played it.
    The Doom 3 Doomguy opens his mouth once, and the Resurrection Doomguy looks like he's perpetually about to growl, but none of them speak.
    Blood Stone.

Fun game, although it's missing that special something that I think EA's Bond games had. I think it might just be that Craig's Bond films don't translate as well to video games as Brosnan's did. Also, a lack of "Bond Moments" and interesting gadgets to play around with doesn't help. As much fun as Blood Stone is, it's missing the little touches that help set EA's games apart from other shooters.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    Blood Stone.

Fun game, although it's missing that special something that I think EA's Bond games had. I think it might just be that Craig's Bond films don't translate as well to video games as Brosnan's did. Also, a lack of "Bond Moments" and interesting gadgets to play around with doesn't help. As much fun as Blood Stone is, it's missing the little touches that help set EA's games apart from other shooters.
    +1
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Blood Stone.

+1

I think Bloodstone suffered from coming out after QoS in the same way that EON suffered from coming out after DAD. In both cases they seemed to assume that the last film was where the franchise was headed and doubled down on all that stuff (so in Bloodstone you get the lack of classic Bond elements, gritty action, a convoluted personal story, and in EON you get sci fi gadgets and an OTT story). But I think the reason EON worked better is because the DAD approach, while horrific for the films, was tailor made for a video game, and still easily identifiable as James Bond. The QoS approach is just boring in a video game because with action games it's hard enough to stand out from the pack as it is because there's so many, so a Bond game without any Bond iconography (no gadgets, no sex, no gunbarrel, etc) is just going to come across as bland no matter how cinematic you make it.

You can watch a gritty Bond film with no gadgets and little humour and still recognise it as Bond but in a video game where all you do is fight bad guys, the little touches and the stuff that sets Bond apart are even more important than they are in the films. QoS at least has moments where you can tell it's a Bond film. But in a video game you really need it to be in your face with the classic James Bond stuff because you're just going down corridors killing people, those little touches are only in cutscenes that you get every hour or so.
    Blood Stone’s story was never part of its problem. And EoN is still very positively received globally. Neither suffered from their predecessor films. Blood Stone suffered from its underdeveloped one way corridor scripted gameplay. Otherwise, everything else about it is solid.
  • Blood Stone’s story was never part of its problem. And EoN is still very positively received globally. Neither suffered from their predecessor films. Blood Stone suffered from its underdeveloped one way corridor scripted gameplay. Otherwise, everything else about it is solid.

I never said it wasn't well recieved, I meant suffered from in the sense that they were clearly inspired by them and since both were flawed films, a lot of those flaws are there in the games (or at least for me they're flaws, some people might like the invisible cars and sci fi bases in EON or the lack of Bond elements in BS).

But I disagree on the story. That was a huge problem for me. Overly convoluted, lacking a clear main villain, supporting characters are in it for about five minutes before turning out to be traitors/getting killed off/disappearing until the end and ends on a twist/cliffhanger ending that just felt like them feeling that they had to make it dramatic and personal because that's what CR and QoS were.

Nightfire is still the gold standard for me. It's OTT but it feels like a film and part of that is how well written it is. Take the castle level. You meet the villains and most of the supporting characters at the party, immediately laying the groundwork for the plot to play out in an organic, cinematic feeling way. It feels like you're playing through a film rather than going level to level, scenario to scenario.
    But I disagree on the story. That was a huge problem for me. Overly convoluted, lacking a clear main villain, supporting characters are in it for about five minutes before turning out to be traitors/getting killed off/disappearing until the end and ends on a twist/cliffhanger ending that just felt like them feeling that they had to make it dramatic and personal because that's what CR and QoS were.
    You just described the Craig era, mate. I believe they were just following the standards of the template. In fact, I'll even say BS has a better storyline by light years than QoS. It was building up and going solidly before those money-mongers at the Activision administration decided to pull the plug on Bond in full and let the sequel wither and die. BS was open ended the way CR was, in my opinion.
    Nightfire is still the gold standard for me. It's OTT but it feels like a film and part of that is how well written it is. Take the castle level. You meet the villains and most of the supporting characters at the party, immediately laying the groundwork for the plot to play out in an organic, cinematic feeling way. It feels like you're playing through a film rather than going level to level, scenario to scenario.
    No arguments from me, there. Solidly stated.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sniper Ghost Warrior 3
    The good news, the Gunslinger trophy popped. It took me exiting the game, and trying a day later for it to pop on the start screen. The bad news, the Sharpshooter trophy wont pop. Deep down, way, way down, beneath all of the bugs, there is a not bad game. The sniping mechanics are sound, but there are too many bugs to recommend this game. Get Sniper Elite 4 instead. I can't say that I was disappointed to hear that the devs have abandoned their plans for a multiplayer aspect to this game.
    Blood Stone.

+1

I think Bloodstone suffered from coming out after QoS in the same way that EON suffered from coming out after DAD. In both cases they seemed to assume that the last film was where the franchise was headed and doubled down on all that stuff (so in Bloodstone you get the lack of classic Bond elements, gritty action, a convoluted personal story, and in EON you get sci fi gadgets and an OTT story). But I think the reason EON worked better is because the DAD approach, while horrific for the films, was tailor made for a video game, and still easily identifiable as James Bond. The QoS approach is just boring in a video game because with action games it's hard enough to stand out from the pack as it is because there's so many, so a Bond game without any Bond iconography (no gadgets, no sex, no gunbarrel, etc) is just going to come across as bland no matter how cinematic you make it.

Yeah.

I agree completely. I think Everything or Nothing actually has a rather compelling plot and an interesting set of locations. Some of the stuff may be a little over-the-top, but it makes for an exciting game.

EON also benefitted heavily from featuring Willem Dafoe as the villain.

...also, it might just be me, but I think Craig's hair in Blood Stone is too dark. He looks off because of it. I think Brosnan in EON and Connery in FRWL have better looking character models, actually.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Resident Evil Re-make (hd) and Resident Evil 0. Both for the first time. It like playing Resident Evil of my youth for the first time, even if I'm familiar with the original and never have played RE 0.

In the re-make,are things I have never experienced before, only seen in youtube walkthroughs, that keep the game feeling fresh, since I never played the gamecube original. New things added and different placement of items make the old game feel fresh. Even the 2002 graphics, compared to the original 1996 graphics feel like a huge step up that enhances the overall feel of the game and still look pretty darn good in 2017.
    @MajorDSmythe, I debated picking that game up at some point - it's cheap as hell now (no doubt due to the poor sales, horrid reviews, and general buggy state of the game), but I know it'll take me getting cheated out of one trophy due to one of countless bugs for me to immediately regret my purchase. As you said, if I pick up a sniping game sometime soon, it'd likely be a Sniper Elite installment.

Anyone here tried out Star Wars: Battlefront II yet? It has an open beta available this weekend, downloading it now to give it a shot. First game was initially fun, but the more they tweaked things and nerfed/buffed stuff, the less interested I was.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, I debated picking that game up at some point - it's cheap as hell now (no doubt due to the poor sales, horrid reviews, and general buggy state of the game), but I know it'll take me getting cheated out of one trophy due to one of countless bugs for me to immediately regret my purchase. As you said, if I pick up a sniping game sometime soon, it'd likely be a Sniper Elite installment.

It's a shame too, as there are times when the game is actually not bad. The sniping mechanics are perfectly fine. Unfortunately, it is only a matter of time before you encounter a glitch (usually taking to form of being stuck on the scenery), that takes you out of the game. And don't get me started on the load times. Games in 2017 should not take that long to load. You have to sit through the load times each time you start the game, as well as each time you move from map to map. Definitely go with Sniper Elite 4 (an all round better* experience). I still need to go back and play Sniper Elite 3.

* By better I mean a more fun experience.

The last game I played was:

Dying Light
    Zombie outbreaks... as it happens, they aren't as fun to live in as you might think. The last thing I did was to electrify a cricket bat.
    I'll pass on that, then. I despise long load times, but I'm easy to forgive them with games such as GTA V or The Witcher 3. Something like Ghost Warrior 3 has no reason to take that long, past poor performance overall. I'm shocked games are still being given the greenlight for release in such a poor state.

I had a good bit of fun with Dying Light. I avoided it for a year because I got too burned by their Dead Island titles - buggy ass games right there, too. I remember being a good 75% of the way through a completionist run of the first one, just to have my entire save file wiped.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,411

Rise of the Tomb Raider looking great on Xbox One X I have my console pre ordered, looking forward to seeing the patches for my existing games.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 9,779
    Batman tell tale season 2 episode 2....

I feel like sequalitize is definitely strong here look I know many here hate the telltale games but with no other anual batman out put I kind of enjoy it (personally I wish they would do Bond and Macgyver) but this feels so clustered bane Harley Quinn joker riddler mr freeze and catwoman and Hugo strange is rumored for episode 3 sorry but too much

Bane could of easily carried all of season 2 with riddler as a possible second tier villain plus some of the changes meh

But still it’s a batman game and a fun one at that
    I'll pass on that, then. I despise long load times, but I'm easy to forgive them with games such as GTA V or The Witcher 3. Something like Ghost Warrior 3 has no reason to take that long, past poor performance overall. I'm shocked games are still being given the greenlight for release in such a poor state.

The load times take about 5 minutes. That might not sound like much, but that is the load times, and not the installation time. They were longer, but the devs patched them, though the load times are still too long.

The load times take about 5 minutes. That might not sound like much, but that is the load times, and not the installation time. They were longer, but the devs patched them, though the load times are still too long.

Yeah, that's completely ridiculous. The only time I better spend five minutes loading is going from putting the disc into my console to being able to actually control my character. In-game loads of that length are inexcusable.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,411
    Battlefront II multiplayer Beta is available to download, first impressions it looks Dam good on my 4K TV, Maul has some badass offence
    edited October 2017 Posts: 40,492
    Battlefront II multiplayer Beta is available to download, first impressions it looks Dam good on my 4K TV, Maul has some badass offence

I found the graphics to be a bit underwhelming compared to the first game. Seems to be some sort of odd filter used to invoke the feel of Episodes IV-VI, but it just makes the graphics look a bit harsh. Great detail throughout, though.

I enjoyed my time with it but I can see the pay to win features creeping through even in the beta, and I don't like the skill of a player being down to the luck of what they acquire in a loot crate. I may pass on this one, I'm undecided currently.