No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's how I see it. Their not ready to retire their prized stallion just yet.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Eon is just doing Craig's next movies by a film by film basis.

I'm sure they're only going with one more for Craig at most, especially if they're looking for a one picture deal with a new distributor.
    I just see Broccoli going to Craig before anyone else on Bond 26.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Would be odd to return for one more film with Craig through a one-picture deal with a new distributor - continuing the Blofeld/Swann continuity - just to take another few year break while looking for a new actor. No way Craig returns for 'Bond 25' and waits another few years and returns for a sixth in his mid-to-late 50's.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think so. This is more business than anything else. The distributor thing is forcing their hand. They had another vision with the Chinese, but weren't able to execute due to MGM imho, and so they are forced back into a short term fix for B25, rather than waiting like they did post-Dalton.
    I can see them going on with the Spectre/Blofeld arc. I wanna see closure to it honestly with Blofeld being killed and Bond returning to MI6 with an ending similar to Skyfall's then bring on the new guy.
    I don't think, 26 is even slightly in the air for DC. Babs or not. He knows, when to stop, since he is no fame whore, clowding his common sense.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I don't think, 26 is even slightly in the air for DC. Babs or not. He knows, when to stop, since he is no fame whore, clowding his common sense.
    +1. I think he was ready to go after SP, but business is what's bringing him back. He will be doing Babs a favour if he's back for B25, but I don't think it's a certainty yet. It's leaning in that direction, but not sure.
    Would be odd to return for one more film with Craig through a one-picture deal with a new distributor - continuing the Blofeld/Swann continuity - just to take another few year break while looking for a new actor. No way Craig returns for 'Bond 25' and waits another few years and returns for a sixth in his mid-to-late 50's.
    I don't see it taking that long. Broccoli probably knows Craig's age and would try to get him back 2 years later.
    I don't see it taking that long. Broccoli probably knows Craig's age and would try to get him back 2 years later.

But if it's taken over a year and a half for Craig to decide on returning, there's no way he'll give it another go after filming another one. He's got one more in the tank at most, I'm calling it now. He'll already be 50-51 by the time they start shooting 'Bond 25,' and there's no evidence that hints that 'Bond 26' would follow two years later.
    I don't think they were saying they're out of ideas, just that when a cartoon is president, you wonder how a movie character came into real life and got the most powerful position in the world. There's an understandable worry that audiences won't appreciate a fictional adventure when so much of the world is already playing out like a badly written reality TV show. The lines between what can happen in movies and in real life has warped in all the worst ways, and P&W have spotted this.

I wonder if Maibaum would've been fried at the stake for saying something similar at this time, or during Nixon's day?

Trump is a "cartoon" only to those who oppose him for ideological reasons. Hence, the opposititionists confuse their own inane ideology with the reality of the president. And fools such as that have no business writing Bond scripts.

People oppose him because he's an embarrassment. But we all appreciate you digging up a post from a page back that we were asked to abandon to avoid outcomes like this. It'd be a helluva thing if you actually came on a Bond forum to talk Bond, instead of looking for any excuse to drone on about your old pal Donny as you've done in this thread before, to similar results of groans at your posts. But by all means continue, and see how far it gets you.

Heh. Aren't you the jumped up popinjay these days, little Tommy? If you post your moronic political opinions in this thread it is my prerogative to refute them. And if you can't handle that, perhaps you should cease and desist or go crying to a mod for surcease.
    Or, we could always listen to the mods and stop posting political comments in this thread. Once again, this thread has no place for these discussions, so play nice and keep it Bond related, please.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bit early too be saying that Craig is back at the moment. Maybe wait until we have heard the result of this strike authorization? And whilst EON are clearly on the hunt, there's still no distributor currently. Plus, officially we still have no word that Craig has or is intending to return yet. It seems somewhat odd that he would leap straight into Bond after finishing a lengthy run of Theatre and TV work.

We are building ourselves up here, when their isn't much to go on. Best to wait until something solid gets announced before jumping the gun. This premature connecting the dots will only end in disappointment.
    Just talking fluidly, is all. I'd find it odd if they were going for a new actor for 'Bond 25,' but only seeking a distributor for a one picture deal. Then again, I'm not all that knowledgable on all this stuff, so there could be a different reason entirely for that.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,967
    Just talking fluidly, is all. I'd find it odd if they were going for a new actor for 'Bond 25,' but only seeking a distributor for a one picture deal. Then again, I'm not all that knowledgable on all this stuff, so there could be a different reason entirely for that.

I'll tell you. The reason is that MGM have been fancying themselves to self-distribute and they reckon the revenue from one more film will be enough to set them up. They are on fragile ground financially and can't wait out another 3 - 5 picture deal.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I think the one picture deal offer is like a try out to see if it works for a studio if it does then they would then offer after bond 25 for a new actor and 4 picture deal

But if it's taken over a year and a half for Craig to decide on returning, there's no way he'll give it another go after filming another one. He's got one more in the tank at most, I'm calling it now. He'll already be 50-51 by the time they start shooting 'Bond 25,' and there's no evidence that hints that 'Bond 26' would follow two years later.
    I believe it will be released in 2018.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    How long will this bidding war for distribution go on?
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    How long will this bidding war for distribution go on?

It's a battle to the death, whichever studio head is left standing at the end wins the rights.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,967

I believe it will be released in 2018.

Marc Forster was hired 17 months before Quantum Premiered. They would have to hire a director next month to have the same time that they had with Quantum, a film notorious for it's rushed script/execution. I really don't think it's anything to being getting excited about, or celebrating personally.
    They may move away from the traditional Oct/Nov release date though. So there is a possibility it comes out early 2019.
    I'm surprised they've yet to test the waters with a summer release during the Craig Era.
    A mid spring release would be ideal.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think the next film will be (or has the chance to be), as different feeling as OHMSS was following the string of 60s films. The whole Craig era has been building to a moment where a final Bond story could be told that would effectively wrap up this man's story like EON have never attempted before, whether it's with him settling down or, as I find more likely, discovering that the calm is not for him as he returns to his position at MI6 until they force him out, living his remaining days as the man he was destined to be.

I don't think a final Craig film will be like the other last Bond films for the actors where it feels like any other film, and the new Bond disappears to make way for a new one with no explanation to what happened in the interim. The movie will be built to tell a conclusive story that demands a fresh continuity be made afterward, likely at the behest of Craig who has wanted to really do something new and consequential with the character from the beginning. The next script and all the things it could have Bond doing would provide him with a lot of acting meat to send him off on a powerful high, whether it's a more stripped down film, a bit of a blockbuster, or somewhere in between. These films have never been regular, and in each movie EON have pushed people's expectations of what a Bond film could be, stripping it back in CR and QoS while also going for heavy theme and message stories in SF and SP. It's only fitting then that the last film of this Bond would not be like any other, as Craig has always been the experimental 007 of the bunch.

I would personally love to see the character written off in such a way, and have the film feel conclusive enough to be its own story. Then the new era of the next actor can be what it needs to be, but will be a fresh start with a Bond already in action so that EON can have a new approach without feeling a slave to continue Craig's Bond. Dan is such a particular actor and has played such a particular kind of man built to his own quiet but smoldering and sardonic sensibilities that this seems a likely option for me. Much like how it's at times weird to see George trying to play a Connery Bond in OHMSS, it would feel strange to see another man ape Craig. It's best to give Dan the finale he deserves after putting in so much work and commitment in with the character that has spanned over a decade, and allow him to then pass the Bond baton to #7 in a manner that he can go his own way and play his own version of the character like he was able to.

Barbara is a great and understanding collaborator in that way, and I feel she would work with the new Bond just as well as she has with Dan to make the era that man's own, different from the last. I'm sure it'll be a tough go to see Dan off, though, as they've become great friends and partners throughout the series in a way no other Bond/producer relationship has. But they both understand Bond is bigger than the people that make the films each go around, just as they know when it's time to call "cut." This seems to be heading for Dan's ultimate curtain call, and the chance to see him off while also telling a story like we've never seen before.
    The whole Craig era has been building to a moment where a final Bond story could be told that would effectively wrap up this man's story like EON have never attempted before, whether it's with him settling down or, as I find more likely, discovering that the calm is not for him as he returns to his position at MI6 until they force him out, living his remaining days as the man he was destined to be.

Well, this is an interesting thought. When I think of "the man he's destined to be," my first thought is 'alone.' After years of ending the movies with Bond rolling up with a new woman, a fresh take could effective.

Maybe B25 ends with Bond driving/riding/sailing/walking off into the sunset . . . alone. That could be a nice image to end on.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    octofinger wrote: »
    The whole Craig era has been building to a moment where a final Bond story could be told that would effectively wrap up this man's story like EON have never attempted before, whether it's with him settling down or, as I find more likely, discovering that the calm is not for him as he returns to his position at MI6 until they force him out, living his remaining days as the man he was destined to be.

Well, this is an interesting thought. When I think of "the man he's destined to be," my first thought is 'alone.' After years of ending the movies with Bond rolling up with a new woman, a fresh take could effective.

Maybe B25 ends with Bond driving/riding/sailing/walking off into the sunset . . . alone. That could be a nice image to end on.

Agreed.

And yet, that YOLT ending is so tempting for Craig. When will Eon get that chance again?
    I like the idea of killing him off. Given EON's predilection for following the prevailing trends, I can imagine that will be on the agenda as they discuss options.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19
    According to Archivo007 (Spanish fan club and website), Daniel Craig will be back as James Bond 007 in Bond 25. Soon, more information.
    https://twitter.com/archivo_007?lang=es
    Very interesting. If this is true, they must have a plan to start shooting soon after the deal is done.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Thanks for that, @ChampionAlonso3. Perhaps @ggl007 can elaborate on this?
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, @ChampionAlonso3. Perhaps @ggl007 can elaborate on this?

Sure!!! But, as far as I know, the person who knows someone in Pinewood is not him.