No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I'm thinking about entering why not
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I wonder when it was filmed?

Had to be very recent. He's rocking the same haircut he was while filming Kings.
    Hmmm, Craig looks pretty lean & ready to film a Bond movie. Normally he is a little heavier on the off season sometimes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Tuck91, my exact thoughts: certainly more slim than in his October chat? He's gearing up for something.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think Craig with a stubble in skyfall is absolutely terrible and while it works to show how he's worn out it goes for too long, it should have been shaved way sooner
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 11,425
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Does anyone agree with me that it would be fun to go back to the 60's with bond films?

Nah bruh. The 60s came and went. Bond needs to be kept consistent as to who he is; a man of the times and not a period character.

Saying he's "a man of the times" could almost be a definition of a period character, surely?

It also depends which Bond you're talking about. The character in the novels is (based on my limited reading) a character from a quite specific moment in history. By YOLT isn't he beginning to seem a bit out of synch with the world around him?

Any way now that EON has very explicitly established parallel timelines in the series, why not have period movies and contemporary ones as they've done with the continuation novels?

Why get hung up on this? I personally think a few period films (or perhaps TV series) could be the creative shot in the arm Bond needs.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Getafix wrote: »
    Does anyone agree with me that it would be fun to go back to the 60's with bond films?

Nah bruh. The 60s came and went. Bond needs to be kept consistent as to who he is; a man of the times and not a period character.

Saying he's "a man of the times" could almost be a definition of a period character, surely?

It also depends which Bond you're talking about. The character in the novels is (based on my limited reading) a character from a quite specific moment in history. By YOLT isn't he beginning to seem a bit out of synch with the world around him?

Any way now that EON has very explicitly established parallel timelines in the series, why not have period movies and contemporary ones as they've done with the continuation novels?

Why get hung up on this? I personally think a few period films (or perhaps TV series) could be the creative shot in the arm Bond needs.

Agreed they can be lower budget as well no need for 250, maybe 70 or even less million
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Bond is and has always been a contemporary character which is what is meant when referring to him as a character of the times. I understand if a 60s era is what some people want, it's a romanticised period in general; but as far as the Bond movies go, like I said the 60s came and went. If the creative stamina is lacking to make contemporary Bond films then those in charge have no business being in charge of making these films. Its all about things moving forward with the character and the films not backwards. Save that 60s stuff for the so called continuation novels.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Looks like Daniel is still interested in James bond http://people.com/pets/daniel-craig-puppies-omaze-charity-video/
  • RC7RC7

Bond is and has always been a contemporary character which is what is meant when referring to him as a character of the times. I understand if a 60s era is what some people want, it's a romanticised period in general; but as far as the Bond movies go, like I said the 60s came and went. If the creative stamina is lacking to make contemporary Bond films then those in charge have no business being in charge of making these films. Its all about things moving forward with the character and the films not backwards. Save that 60s stuff for the so called continuation novels.

Exactly. The hankering for a 60s film is down to a lack interest in the current iteration. It's a lazy solution to a non-existent problem.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Looks like Daniel is still interested in James bond http://people.com/pets/daniel-craig-puppies-omaze-charity-video/[/Quote)

It might mein something, that he/they were able to lure an Aston from them for the good cause.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    People want greatness. Ian Fleming was greatness. The 60s films were adaptations of the novels and executed greatness (save one). Everyone's longing or wishing for a period piece, or a new actor, or new writers and director, is longing for that greatness.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    People want greatness. Ian Fleming was greatness. The 60s films were adaptations of the novels and executed greatness (save one). Everyone's longing or wishing for a period piece, or a new actor, or new writers and director, is longing for that greatness.

I think it's because CR was so good, we all want to reach that kind of (relatively recent) high again.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Watched CR last night. There is a freshness to it even today. The mobile phones are dated (one year before the iPhone's release) but there's a palpable energy there which I felt on my first watch in 2006 and which I felt again yesterday. The same goes for every time I watch GE, even though the earlier film is more dated. This could be on account of Campbell, it could be because of the relative youth and vigour of the new Bond actor in each case, or it could be because of the long gap between releases in both cases. I have no idea, but I want to have that feeling again when watching a Bond film. That fresh feeling.

Interestingly, I felt the same way when I watched SF. Does absence make the heart grow fonder, I wonder? Perhaps, but that can't explain why I still feel this way today when I rewatch these respective films. So it must be that the team comes back reinvigorated after a long break.
    Although I've thoroughly enjoyed all of Craig's Bond movies, CR is still my favorite.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 5,767
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

That was actually kind of an amazing advertisement. But more importantly, Daniel Craig both looked and sounded great there. See, he just needs a flattering haircut and camerawork, a great script with a great concept, and great direction. Get your stuff together and let's see Craig in B25, Eon!
    Hear, hear!

Ian Fleming was far from being greatness, but greatness shone out of his work here and there.
    The 60s films had a skeleton adapted from Fleming, but all the fleshy parts have not too much in common with him, but much more with some creative filmmakers with vision and chops.
    But with your last sentence, you could be correct.

bondjames wrote: »
    Watched CR last night. There is a freshness to it even today. The mobile phones are dated (one year before the iPhone's release) but there's a palpable energy there which I felt on my first watch in 2006 and which I felt again yesterday. The same goes for every time I watch GE, even though the earlier film is more dated. This could be on account of Campbell, it could be because of the relative youth and vigour of the new Bond actor in each case, or it could be because of the long gap between releases in both cases. I have no idea, but I want to have that feeling again when watching a Bond film. That fresh feeling.

Interestingly, I felt the same way when I watched SF. Does absence make the heart grow fonder, I wonder? Perhaps, but that can't explain why I still feel this way today when I rewatch these respective films. So it must be that the team comes back reinvigorated after a long break.
    Hmm, I wouldn´t be so sure about that. I let myself be haunted by SF, and pop it in every now and then, and find it rather worse than better with each try.
    Anytime I watch CR, I get the exact feeling you describe. But I also find QOS extremely rewatchable.

The thing is, if the media spread a story about Bond saving the world, a lot of audiences react bored long before the film is released. So they spread stories about Bond facing a nemesis like never before or some other bs, so the average audiences think the next film must be something special, which results in a lot of people buying tickets, regardless of how good or bad the film is. It´s all about making people believe the film is great.

edited March 2017 Posts: 754
    Ian Fleming isn't greatness? And you're a JB fan on a fan site... you're not alone on here, but that's totally ridiculous.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ian Fleming isn't greatness? And you're a JB fan on a fan site... you're not alone on here, but that's totally ridiculous.

To be fair this is a James Bond fan site not a dedicated Fleming appreciation site. There are many Bond fans who have no interest in Fleming, only the movies. Just saying.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 754
    And those movies are derived from Ian Fleming, so yes, that separation is absurd. I understand that some people may have never read the books, or just love movies. I love the movies too. His assertion was that Fleming wasn't great and the 60s movies were "skeleton" adaptations and the fleshy part, whatever that means, was not really Fleming. No.

So bizarre. I remember feeling how retrograde and backward looking GE felt in 95. Especially after Dalton. Brosnan felt like a really bad Moore retread. I don't mean that as an insult to Rog, who i love, but GE was patently total sh*t.

CR definitely raised the bar and DC was absolutelty pivotal in that Change of gear. That's why I still give him a lot of credit and am totally relaxed about him coming back
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883

boldfinger wrote: »
    Hmm, I wouldn´t be so sure about that. I let myself be haunted by SF, and pop it in every now and then, and find it rather worse than better with each try.
    Anytime I watch CR, I get the exact feeling you describe. But I also find QOS extremely rewatchable.
    I can appreciate that. SF seems to have polarized the fan community, as has SP. That damn Mendes!
    So bizarre. I remember feeling how retrograde and backward looking GE felt in 95. Especially after Dalton. Brosnan felt like a really bad Moore retread. I don't mean that as an insult to Rog, who i love, but GE was patently total sh*t.

CR definitely raised the bar and DC was absolutelty pivotal in that Change of gear. That's why I still give him a lot of credit and am totally relaxed about him coming back
    One thing I realized on my rewatch of CR yesterday was how much of a team effort it is. Sure, Craig is marvelous in the role here, and brings an acting maturity and finesse that his predecessor wouldn't have been able to deliver, but CR is much more than that. It's a Bond film made by an entire team (writers, composer, director, producers, supporting cast cinematographer) operating at the absolute top of their game. This definitely helped Craig, and it contributed to make the film what it was.

boldfinger wrote: »
    I can appreciate that. SF seems to have polarized the fan community, as has SP. That damn Mendes!

One thing I realized on my rewatch of CR yesterday was how much of a team effort it is. Sure, Craig is marvelous in the role here, and brings an acting maturity and finesse that his predecessor wouldn't have been able to deliver, but CR is much more than that. It's a Bond film made by an entire team (writers, composer, director, producers, supporting cast cinematographer) operating at the absolute top of their game. This definitely helped Craig, and it contributed to make the film what it was.

True but imagine Brosman playing Bond. It would've been a totally different movie.
    Is the Chinese buyer this airline mentioned in the other thread? If so this would seem to spell disaster from the Bond series.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 1,965
    Brosnan was a good Bond. IMO better than Dalton
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Wrong thread, bud.
  • RC7RC7
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Brosnan was a brilliantly successful Bond. Some people hate him, the majority have a real affinity for him. No nonsense and visually stunning.
    I know this is OT but I just saw the beginning car chase of QoS for the first time in a while. DAMN! If only the car chase in SPECTRE had the intensity & magnitude of that scene. What a truly spectacular scene in QoS.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I've warmed to the car chase in SP a tad. I think listening to Backfire alone made me like it.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know this is OT but I just saw the beginning car chase of QoS for the first time in a while. DAMN! If only the car chase in SPECTRE had the intensity & magnitude of that scene. What a truly spectacular scene in QoS.
    Then why post it to begin with?

I cannot for the life of me understand why some people think this thread is some kind of outlet to start random, off-topic debates. Seriously. This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Then why post it to begin with?

I cannot for the life of me understand why some people think this thread is some kind of outlet to start random, off-topic debates. Seriously. This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Is it really changing your life that much? Christ. It's a forum for God's sake. Calm down.