No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's just how movies are made. I don't know why people want more updates other than the hints of what we think may be going on. Especially since the last film got leaked to the public before it hit theaters. EON aren't going to shout updates from the tallest tower, especially not now.

In this age of instant gratification and second-by-second social networking updates, a bad precedent has been set by people to know every little thing that is going on every single minute of every day. Back in the day, people actually had to just...wait for these films to come out. This hyper-connected world can be a strength, but often it's a weakness, as it can make fans insufferable to deal with.

Patience will be rewarded. SP is barely a year old and we're going to be getting another one, so let's wait it out and enjoy the other 23 we've got on hand. EON will do their work, we just have to let them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    It's just how movies are made. I don't know why people want more updates other than the hints of what we think may be going on. Especially since the last film got leaked to the public before it hit theaters. EON aren't going to shout updates from the tallest tower, especially not now.

In this age of instant gratification and second-by-second social networking updates, a bad precedent has been set by people to know every little thing that is going on every single minute of every day. Back in the day, people actually had to just...wait for these films to come out. This hyper-connected world can be a strength, but often it's a weakness, as it can make fans insufferable to deal with.

Patience will be rewarded. SP is barely a year old and we're going to be getting another one, so let's wait it out and enjoy the other 23 we've got on hand. EON will do their work, we just have to let them.

I think SP not living up to it's expectations, this doesn't not apply to all fans of course but it does to me, some might be a bit more 'impatient' (or enthusiastic) to get more information about B25. Simply because they are longing for another good entry to the series.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Dubrovnik has castles - will Bond 25 be a faithful adaptation of YOLT?

Please, please, pleassssssseeeeeee.
    How will it look when they turn him into a Croatian and let him have a typical Croatian wedding?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Dubrovnik has castles - will Bond 25 be a faithful adaptation of YOLT?

Please, please, pleassssssseeeeeee.
    How will it look when they turn him into a Croatian and let him have a typical Croatian wedding?

It wouldn't be a hyper-faithful adaptation. It never could be.
    Jeffrey wrote: »

I think SP not living up to it's expectations, this doesn't not apply to all fans of course but it does to me, some might be a bit more 'impatient' (or enthusiastic) to get more information about B25. Simply because they are longing for another good entry to the series.

Personally my expectation were pretty low after SF, so SP didn't disappoint me. I don't think it's a great movie, but I personally prefer it to SF.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Regardless of which of the two is the better made film, I will concede that IMO, SP is the better Bond film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Regardless of which of the two is the better made film, I will concede that IMO, SP is the better Bond film.

But SF is also a Bond film!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Your point being?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    This certainly applies to me. I've been increasingly frustrated by the long waits between Bond entries. SF was worth it for me (just) but SP was quite the let down. I feel quite unfulfilled. I think one of the problems they had was releasing a relatively predictable and substandard (imho) entry at the end of a year which had some very impressive competition in the space (Kingsman and MI-RN come to mind, but also spoofs like SPY and even Man From Uncle). It was definitely the sort of year when the ante had to be upped. In a way it reminded me of the Brosnan era when Austin Powers & Bourne were stealing all the thunder.

Your point being?

A fairly obvious one darling.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I prefer SP to SF by quite a margin. I prefer pretty much every aspect to it. However the last two films have both suffered from slack story telling. I'm hoping with Bond 25 we get a massive shake up in every department. Script, direction and stunts that are real and inventive.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    SP suffered, yes. SF, no. SF is brilliant.
    + 1
    Benny wrote: »
    I prefer SP to SF by quite a margin. I prefer pretty much every aspect to it. However the last two films have both suffered from slack story telling.

SP suffered, yes. SF, no. SF is brilliant. One of the finest screenplays in the series, along with DN, FRWL and GE.

Couldn't agree more.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I prefer SP to SF by quite a margin. I prefer pretty much every aspect to it. However the last two films have both suffered from slack story telling.

SP suffered, yes. SF, no. SF is brilliant. One of the finest screenplays in the series, along with DN, FRWL and GE.

I think that's pushing it. A few memorable well written scenes, but not close to FRWL or DN
    I think both films have left fans divided.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I think that's pushing it. A few memorable well written scenes, but not close to FRWL or DN

SF is immensely entertaining, very re-watchable and in my top 10; but, the screenplay has several major plot holes and lapses in logic. This keeps it from being in the same league as the first two Bonds. It's very frustrating because all of transgressions could have been addressed, to produce in a tighter, stronger screenplay.

talos7 wrote: »

SF is immensely entertaining, very re-watchable and in my top 10; but, the screenplay has several major plot holes and lapses in logic. This keeps it from being in the same league as the first two Bonds. It's very frustrating because all of transgressions could have been addressed, to produce in a tighter, stronger screenplay.
    Agreed. I didn't leave out the "screenplay" part of the original quote for nothing in my last post. Though I must admit the inclusion of GE bothered me most.
  • RC7RC7
    The problem with defining a modern blockbuster screenplay, particularly a Bond, as being 'the finest' is that most of these screenplays are an amalgam of thoughts, ideas, musings, dialogue... etc etc, from various points of view and with conflicting voices and motivations. They're a literary Frankenstein's monster which is constantly being picked apart, changed, rebuilt, picked apart, changed, rebuilt, tweaked and so on. That's not to say that hasn't always happened, it has, to varying degrees, but it's even more acute these days. The upshot is that it's down to the director to craft these elements into a cohesive whole.

To judge a Bond 'screenplay' as an independent work is a complex process, especially next to much more authored pieces. This is why the whole process is much harder than many make out when saying, 'Just write a good screenplay'. It really isn't that simple. You can begin with something you personally think is a cohesive, solid piece of work, but once an exec, or producer, or director pulls on a thread, that solid bit of work can begin to unravel - and they will all pull on threads, multiple threads, at the same time.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The problem with defining a modern blockbuster screenplay, particularly a Bond, as being 'the finest' is that most of these screenplays are an amalgam of thoughts, ideas, musings, dialogue... etc etc, from various points of view and with conflicting voices and motivations. They're a literary Frankenstein's monster which is constantly being picked apart, changed, rebuilt, picked apart, changed, rebuilt, tweaked and so on. That's not to say that hasn't always happened, it has, to varying degrees, but it's even more acute these days. The upshot is that it's down to the director to craft these elements into a cohesive whole.

To judge a Bond 'screenplay' as an independent work is a complex process, especially next to much more authored pieces. This is why the whole process is much harder than many make out when saying, 'Just write a good screenplay'. It really isn't that simple. You can begin with something you personally think is a cohesive, solid piece of work, but once an exec, or producer, or director pulls on a thread, that solid bit of work can begin to unravel - and they will all pull on threads, multiple threads, at the same time.

RC7 speaks the truth. Writing a spec script, with no one interfering, is a joy, but that soon ends once producers or a production company or studio decide they like your script, option it, and then begin to pull those threads. This happens all the time. Working for hire on a script, for example an established TV show or film series, means the writer is required to work within that particular system - and it can be very dispiriting at times.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I agree. Around the time Silva derails the train, I'm like, "What's his plan again? Is it specific revenge against M/MI6 or is it general mayhem? Is he the Joker or is he more methodical?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,985
    RC7 wrote: »

I think that's why Haggis' work in CR was so notable in the series. He made it feel like a confident, single-author piece, much like OHMSS. Whether or not you like the "little figure" or the "family is strict Roman Catholic" lines, it did feel like Haggis (whether or not these lines were his contributions) had a true command of the story and its style.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Just saw this tweet by Dave Bautista:

"Watched Spectre last night and as a @007 fan I have to say if Daniel doesnt come back I just wont have closure. C"mon mate! 1 more! #Bond25"
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Red_Snow wrote: »

"Watched Spectre last night and as a @007 fan I have to say if Daniel doesnt come back I just wont have closure. C"mon mate! 1 more! #Bond25"

Pretty cool that he's such a big fan, he pops in his own movies to watch him and Daniel kick each other's ass. Looking forward to seeing his role in 'Blade Runner 2049.'
    Yep,i've seen his tweet as well....it does seem he is a big Bond fan !
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Worthy of a retweet.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I prefer SP to SF by quite a margin. I prefer pretty much every aspect to it. However the last two films have both suffered from slack story telling. I'm hoping with Bond 25 we get a massive shake up in every department. Script, direction and stunts that are real and inventive.

+1
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    echo wrote: »

I agree. Around the time Silva derails the train, I'm like, "What's his plan again? Is it specific revenge against M/MI6 or is it general mayhem? Is he the Joker or is he more methodical?

Yeah what was that sequence how come they were no civilians on the train during rush hour ????
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I can re-name this thread
    Which do you prefer, Skyfall or Spectre? If you like?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    I can re-name this thread
    Which do you prefer, Skyfall or Spectre? If you like?

Might as well. I can't discuss old scores without being told to redirect things on-topic, yet every other time I enter this thread, it's on a completely non-B25 related topic.

Some consistency goes a long way.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Too true Creasy, too true.

I prefer Skyfall.
    I prefer SF too,Nackers.