No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think the US electorate was presented with an unprecedentedly abysmal choice but Bond should rise above this stuff.

Having said that, Trump is probably an existential threat to the US, whereas Hillary was simply mildly dishonest.

On the contrary, Trump is America's best hope for survival. In electing him, we derailed--at least temporarily--the suicide train. Brits did the same with Brexit and France is preparing to do likewise with Le Pen.

The guy is a psychopath, though. So there is that. Hopefully there are better men making sure he gets his medicine.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    In my view, in these circumstances it's best to embrace the fantasy element. Take it away from reality and move it towards abstract escapism.

Attempting to mirror geopolitics in a fast changing world is only going to leave them flat footed and behind the curve. Events are changing too fast and with the long planning cycle that they have these days, if they go in one direction by the time they get the next film out something entirely different could have occurred on the world scene.

So if I were them, I'd just keep the politics out of it.

I'm not advocating that we need to inject politics into Bond anymore than usual, but even "abstract escapism" has to be founded on something. I'm certainly reluctant to see Bond become devoid of cultural touchstones.
    True and agreed. If anything, I would think the more outlandish might perhaps be more acceptable these days, given where reality has taken us. After all, ignoring politics, Elon Musk may be able to actually make MR (the film) a reality if he wanted to, soon enough.

Speaking of Elon Musk--sounds like a preppy perfume--a potential Bond McGuffin would be a villain who seeks to develop an artificial intelligence that would do the bidding of the mad villain, be impossible to stop, and potentially enslave the whole of humanity into the bargain. Such a scenario is not so farfetched as one might think.

• Getafix wrote: »

Ha. It's only "too political" when you don't like the politics. Face it, pal--the days of us turning the other cheek as you lot dismantle western civilization are through.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Did I accidentally walk into a Contemporary Politics 101 entry course? Oh, I didn't?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    *looks around*

Is this the previously closed politics thread or the 'Bond 25' Production Diary?
  • RC7 wrote: »
    I think the US electorate was presented with an unprecedentedly abysmal choice but Bond should rise above this stuff.

Having said that, Trump is probably an existential threat to the US, whereas Hillary was simply mildly dishonest.

On the contrary, Trump is America's best hope for survival. In electing him, we derailed--at least temporarily--the suicide train. Brits did the same with Brexit and France is preparing to do likewise with Le Pen.

The guy is a psychopath, though. So there is that. Hopefully there are better men making sure he gets his medicine.

If you have access to this diagnosis, by all means share it. If not, you've got nothing but an attitude.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Stop talking about trump
    Bond vs SPECTRE funding isis
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    In my view, in these circumstances it's best to embrace the fantasy element. Take it away from reality and move it towards abstract escapism.

Attempting to mirror geopolitics in a fast changing world is only going to leave them flat footed and behind the curve. Events are changing too fast and with the long planning cycle that they have these days, if they go in one direction by the time they get the next film out something entirely different could have occurred on the world scene.

I'm not advocating that we need to inject politics into Bond anymore than usual, but even "abstract escapism" has to be founded on something. I'm certainly reluctant to see Bond become devoid of cultural touchstones.
    True and agreed. If anything, I would think the more outlandish might perhaps be more acceptable these days, given where reality has taken us. After all, ignoring politics, Elon Musk may be able to actually make MR (the film) a reality if he wanted to, soon enough.

Speaking of Elon Musk--sounds like a preppy perfume--a potential Bond McGuffin would be a villain who seeks to develop an artificial intelligence that would do the bidding of the mad villain, be impossible to stop, and potentially enslave the whole of humanity into the bargain. Such a scenario is not so farfetched as one might think.
    Agreed. To some extent Zuckerberg is already there with Facebook. I was at an auto show recently and was amused at how many people were sitting around looking through VR headsets. They truly looked like a bunch of lemmings. I think it would be an interesting idea to explore, but they'd have to be careful so as not to make it seem too cartoonish.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423

Agreed. To some extent Zuckerberg is already there with Facebook. I was at an auto show recently and was amused at how many people were sitting around looking through VR headsets. They truly looked like a bunch of lemmings. I think it would be an interesting idea to explore, but they'd have to be careful so as not to make it seem too cartoonish.
    The idea reminds me of an episode of similar concept from Batman Beyond.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

If you have access to this diagnosis, by all means share it. If not, you've got nothing but an attitude.

He is. Attitude over.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Are you guys for real? There's a good reason for why the political threads were closed.
    Hi hate too much tech in a Bond movie. One of the reasons I'd like them to do period movies
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The idea reminds me of an episode of similar concept from Batman Beyond.
    Yes, it was also done in a cheesy manner in Batman Forever with the tv headsets. I like the way Nolan did the surveillance & GPS thing with the mobile phones in TDK. That was actually before Snowden's revelations, so it was quite prescient.
    Hi hate too much tech in a Bond movie. One of the reasons I'd like them to do period movies
    On the whole I agree. It's perhaps better if the concept is the threat, rather than actually showing too much tech. The last Jason Bourne film, for instance, had a tech billionaire who was bankrolled by the Govt. in order to create a product which would be sold to the public and then used by the Govt for mass surveillance.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    9617853.jpg
    9617853.jpg
    9617853.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Excellent.
    9617853.jpg
    9617853.jpg
    9617853.jpg

Is it Iron Man 3?

I think march 10th is world wide James Bond day maybe we will get some news then
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think march 10th is world wide James Bond day maybe we will get some news then

That was October 5th.
  • I think march 10th is world wide James Bond day maybe we will get some news then

That was October 5th.

Close though. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Months ago I called March...just because :D
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Not happy that guy Hamilton didn't get mentioned in memorandum tribute at Oscars nor did George Martin [-( /:) >:P
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    peter wrote: »
    @bondjames and @jake have you been to the car show at the convention centre? The DB5, as well as other Aston Martin's, are there.

Sorry, I must be out of the loop. Which car show?
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Not happy that guy Hamilton didn't get mentioned in memorandum tribute at Oscars nor did George Martin [-( /:) >:P

Did Ken Adam?
  • tanaka123 wrote: »

Did Ken Adam?

Yes, he was one of the first to appear.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @PropertyOfALady the car show was in Toronto.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I must admit I spent some time wondering which was the guy called Hamilton that you were talking about.

Dubrovnik has castles - will Bond 25 be a faithful adaptation of YOLT?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Dubrovnik has castles - will Bond 25 be a faithful adaptation of YOLT?

I think that's what a lot of us are thinking. Originally when YOLT was being filmed EON too sought castles, but as they historically had no castles near coasts, the volcano lair was devised. It'd be great to finally see the story adapted as it was meant to be.
    I would be fine with a faithful adaption of You Only live twice for Bond 25