No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• When reporters move off a beat, they often keep in contact (at least on some level) with former sources.

That said, I have no idea how that applies (or doesn't apply) to Bamigboye. I don't know the guy. And even if I did, he wouldn't tell me.
    Mendes will only return if the producers agree to make Madeline Bonds sister and Tiger Tanka Bonds Asian step father.
    I liked yesterday's title for this thread better. I 'm fearing we may get one soon that says : BOND 25 OFFICIALLY CANCELLED.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Come on...
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Bond 25 won't be canceled. Just right now everything in flux I assume.
  • 2019 has always looked like the best bet. Still feels that way. Let's get one more in this decade, then get things back to a regular 2-3 year cycle.
    2019 has always looked like the best bet. Still feels that way. Let's get one more in this decade, then get things back to a regular 2-3 year cycle.
    Yes. I do hope with the distribution deal comes a return to a regular cycle.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Are we still likely to hear anything in March? From MGM or whatever it is that's happening?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Are we still likely to hear anything in March? From MGM or whatever it is that's happening?
    Nothing is certain, though it is likely that B25 will be talked about to some degree.
  • re: March....MGM is scheduled to release fourth-quarter and full-year financial results for 2016. It will have a call with investors. Whether or not it says anything about Bond 25 remains to be seen.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I've never heard of bas Bamigboye, what the Hell is he to Bond?

Baz Bamigboye, writer for the Daily Mail, had a number of scoops proven correct between 2010 and 2014 concerning Skyfall and SPECTRE. At the 2011 press conference for Skyfall, Daniel Craig even quipped something like, "Why are you asking, Baz?" By that point, Bamigboye had reported much of the news about Skyfall.
  • Craig, 12:27 mark: "You seem to have all the information, Baz."

• Sam Mendes has gone on record saying he would like to go down as the filmmaker with more helicopter scenes and/or floating plastic bags than any other filmmaker. So expect at least three helicopter action sequences in the next one...
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    When Baz says it's "a long, long way off". Is her referring to the start of production or the release date of the actual film?
    Both presumably
    Bond 25 coming in 2025 :D
    Imagine all the references they can include. Hopefully they will reference every previous film again like with DAD
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844
    What could they reference in Spectre that would be distinguishable from any one of the 23 films that came before it? White cat? Nooo. Blofeld? Nooo. Crater lair? Nooo. Train fight? Nooo. Octopus imagery? Nooo. PTS helicopter antics? Nooo. Chase in a biplane? Nooo. Spectre meeting? Nooo. Traitor from within? Nooo. DB5? Nooo. Explosive watch? Nooo.

I've got it! Thames boat chase. There you go. All set.
    Definitely feels like Bond 25 is a long way off, since we haven't heard anything, and it's been over a year since SP. Because of a long gap, hard to imagine they'll keep Craig and continue with his story rather than starting fresh.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Crazy idea. EON want full control and are holding out to get MGM to sell their stake...?

Highly unlikely I know, but.... Given the problems UA/MGM have caused over the years, I'm sure they would love to do this.

The commercial success of the films over the last few years, has perhaps given EON the confidence to be more assertive.

They've been buying up bits and pieces that have caused them trouble for years - CR and TB rights, NSNA etc.

As Nigel Farage might say - time to take back control! Make Bond great again...

Err
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think EON would be better with all the Bond rights. After MGM's flop of a Ben Hurr remake they would be better off selling their Bond rights back to EON.
  • I'm going to start a petition.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Yes it was a spiteful act by Harry to sell his share to UA. And Bond fans have suffered a lot since then because of it. It was an evil exec at UA/MGM who made it very difficult for EON to bring Dalton back after LTK. I think Babs has used some very colourful language to describe that guy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And MGM won't sell their share, according to what I've read somewhere, no matter what Eon pays. So our best bet is that MGM is dismantled and some other company buys it, and that way that other half of the rights could be sold? I sincerely hope so.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I never understood why Saltzman did that and not sell the shares to Broccoli.
    Because they fell out
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    MGW turned 75 not long ago. If these delays go on much longer, hard to see him producing the next one with all the health problems he's had of late. Do you think we will see a Barbara/Gregg team up on Bond 25?
  • I think by the time we do get Bond 25 (2019 or 2020) it would have been 5 whole years since Spectre. Already Craig was tired, burnt out, whatever. Sounds more and more likely that there is no script nor any sense of urgency by EON to get Bond 25 out of the gates. This is very, very sad for Bond fans. Maybe Bond has had it's day. Maybe it's time to retire the character once and for all. This isn't what I want, but neither Daniel Craig nor EON seem to give a damn, so why the hell should we? John Wick 2 is about to start kicking all kinds of ass in cinemas (2 installments within 3 years!) and Tom Cruise will start filming Mission Impossible 6 later this year to hit cinemas next summer. There is a real hunger for action / adventure movies. People crave escapism, especially in these dark times, so Bond has failed his mission to provide the sort of entertainment his fans have relied on for years. I know this is a bit of rant, and I don't want to sound entitled, but we live in an age of endless comic book movies and Star Wars movies (fans of those movies get a movie each year!)...I just feel that being a Bond fan I drew the short straw. Sigh. maybe it's time for me to pick a new franchse to care about.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SonofSean wrote: »
    I think by the time we do get Bond 25 (2019 or 2020) it would have been 5 whole years since Spectre. Already Craig was tired, burnt out, whatever. Sounds more and more likely that there is no script nor any sense of urgency by EON to get Bond 25 out of the gates. This is very, very sad for Bond fans. Maybe Bond has had it's day. Maybe it's time to retire the character once and for all. This isn't what I want, but neither Daniel Craig nor EON seem to give a damn, so why the hell should we? John Wick 2 is about to start kicking all kinds of ass in cinemas (2 installments within 3 years!) and Tom Cruise will start filming Mission Impossible 6 later this year to hit cinemas next summer. There is a real hunger for action / adventure movies. People crave escapism, especially in these dark times, so Bond has failed his mission to provide the sort of entertainment his fans have relied on for years. I know this is a bit of rant, and I don't want to sound entitled, but we live in an age of endless comic book movies and Star Wars movies (fans of those movies get a movie each year!)...I just feel that being a Bond fan I drew the short straw. Sigh. maybe it's time for me to pick a new franchse to care about.

This is the prevailing feeling in the community at the moment. We're back in limbo.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @SonofSean, don't worry, man. Bond will always be there, no matter what. People lost hope in the six year gap between LTK and GE, but it eventually happened and Bond returned with a vengeance. Now, that you also mention the public crave for escapism and comic book movies, I think Bond will follow the same path and drift into the opposite route the Craig films have taken. And to me, this is more of a very good news. In the meantime, there already are James Bond comics books - lots of them - in production, and we've had two stories released in full so far, one of them still ongoing, two in the pipeline, and an ongoing spinoff starring Felix Leiter. This kept me from thirst to an extent, and I'm satisfied that we have those. While we wait for Bond 25 to hit the cinemas in the upcoming three year cycle, you could try out the comics. They are quite brilliant.