No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    No offence to anyone who owns one (I do), but I would seriously recommend to BB & MGW to dump Omega and get back to Rolex. Preferably an Explorer or Sub. Then stick with it over multiple films. This jumping around with the latest timepieces each time to accommodate Omega's burgeoning (and far from classic) product line & upmarket ambitions is becoming rather tiresome for me.

Agreed. I like some of Omega's offerings (speedmaster, planet ocean, seamaster, globemaster) but Bond should be wearing a Rolex. I'd love to see Bond rocking a 36mm explorer or no date sub. Waterproof, classy, but sporty.

Some might say Bond wouldn't buy an "expensive" watch, but Bond is supposed to have great taste. Being an unmarried bachelor, Rolex isn't really that out of his realm. Especially since some of his coats & jackets cost sometimes half of one.
    The thing about the Explorer and Sub are that they are the archetypal tool watches. Very unadorned and functional despite the price. In a way, they are similar to the old classic Mercedes and VW products. Built to last with form following function for the most part.

The current Omega line, nice though it is, is becoming overly stylized imho. Fashion for the sake of fashion. Moreover, changing the watch every film seems a bit overdone. I even liked how Brosnan wore one style consistently during his tenure.

Still, like you I'd still prefer Rolex due to the connection to Fleming, the novels and the early Bond films (up to LTK with some digression for the chintzy quartz Seikos and Citizens during Roger's middle tenure).
  • tanaka123 wrote: »
    SonofSean wrote: »
    I think by the time we do get Bond 25 (2019 or 2020) it would have been 5 whole years since Spectre. Already Craig was tired, burnt out, whatever. Sounds more and more likely that there is no script nor any sense of urgency by EON to get Bond 25 out of the gates. This is very, very sad for Bond fans. Maybe Bond has had it's day. Maybe it's time to retire the character once and for all. This isn't what I want, but neither Daniel Craig nor EON seem to give a damn, so why the hell should we? John Wick 2 is about to start kicking all kinds of ass in cinemas (2 installments within 3 years!) and Tom Cruise will start filming Mission Impossible 6 later this year to hit cinemas next summer. There is a real hunger for action / adventure movies. People crave escapism, especially in these dark times, so Bond has failed his mission to provide the sort of entertainment his fans have relied on for years. I know this is a bit of rant, and I don't want to sound entitled, but we live in an age of endless comic book movies and Star Wars movies (fans of those movies get a movie each year!)...I just feel that being a Bond fan I drew the short straw. Sigh. maybe it's time for me to pick a new franchse to care about.

Sorry, but what you've written is uttter nonsense.

Sorry, what is nonsense? I state that it's likely to be 5 years between Spectre and Bond 25. This is very likely. I said Danel Craig appeared burnt out. His "ennui" is very, very well documented. I state that action franchises John Wick and Mission Impossible have continued momentum and are entertaining action fans (much in the same way that Bond films of old did). Do you dispute this? I talked about escapism and the historic and important role Bond has in keeping us all entertained. Is this not also true? And lastly, I talk about my disappointment that we, as fans, are not served as well as we should be. The gap between movies is too long. This is my feeling as a long time Bond fan. And, as it's my opinion, which I am entitled to, it's hardly nonsense.

I think the comments pertain to your remarks about Bond having had its day. I don't think Bond will ever die. He's just too bankable a franchise (probably the only one out there along with SW & the Bat). If you're suggesting that Craig's emo Bond has had its day, then I'm more likely to agree with you.

I also agree that the gaps are way too long these days.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    2 years before the next Bond actor is announced? Why? That would mean no film before 2020. If someone is really holding things up that much, they should boot him out of the talks. Close the door, and get a deal done.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,588
    2 years before the next Bond actor is announced? Why? That would mean no film before 2020. If someone is really holding things up that much, they should boot him out of the talks. Close the door, and get a deal done.
    Eon don't select Bond actors based on bookie lists. It's a long, drawn out, and painstaking process that involves two years (or more) of searching and hundreds of executives. These men don't just fall out of the sky. That's why all of them have been great.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Eon don't select Bond actors based on bookie lists. It's a long, drawn out, and painstaking process that involves two years (or more) of searching and hundreds of executives. These men don't just fall out of the sky. That's why all of them have been great.

But why is it 2 years starting from now? We already know EON have met with actors so why is the process only just beginning?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Edit
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Anyone who has seen Nocturnal Animals, what did you think of Tom Ford as director?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »

But why is it 2 years starting from now? We already know EON have met with actors so why is the process only just beginning?
    We do not know this at all. This came purely from unsubstantiated tabloid rumours. And if Craig hasn't departed, they wouldn't be looking for replacements.

@dominicgreene I want to see that, badly. But based on what I've heard of the film, I would definitely consider the possibility.

• SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am sure production is on the way and getting closer. I bet they will start filming this year. Craig will work out harder again to prep for the role - this will take about a few months and then we will learn B25 is on track to be released November 2018.

At this point of time I am convinced again that Craig will make his final movie starting this year. They have all chances to pick the best things from all his Bond movies and end on a high note. Spectre cooled my enthusiasm a bit but since I know they can do better I am sure next time they will do so. And maybe keeping things quiet is a good thing to do and avoid leaks like the last time.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I am sure production is on the way and getting closer. I bet they will start filming this year. Craig will work out harder again to prep for the role - this will take about a few months and then we will learn B25 is on track to be released November 2018.

At this point of time I am convinced again that Craig will make his final movie starting this year. They have all chances to pick the best things from all his Bond movies and end on a high note. Spectre cooled my enthusiasm a bit but since I know they can do better I am sure next time they will do so. And maybe keeping things quiet is a good thing to do and avoid leaks like the last time.

I love your enthusiasm, and I hope you're correct.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited February 2017 Posts: 2,496
    David Oyelowo was a guest on 'The Late Show' last night, and Stephen Colbert asked him about starring in 'Othello' with Daniel Craig, which instantly turned to talk of Bond.

Stephen: Now you just did a play -- you did a othello with Daniel Craig?
    David: I did, here in New York.
    Stephen: Okay. Now, he's no longer going to be bond, right? We don't know who the next bond is going to be.
    David: We don't know that?
    Stephen: What? I heard he's not going to do it anymore.
    David: Really?
    Stephen: That's what I heard. I know what I heard, David Oyelowo.
    David: Well, I don't know. I have been in a dressing room for him for three months, so I don't know about that.
    Nice move by Colbert. He got him to reveal without revealing imho.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Nice move by Colbert. He got him to reveal without revealing imho.

DC was in great shape in 'Othello', so in that regard it would make sense if he did Bond 25 before 'Purity', but obviously somany things seemingly have to fall into place in such a short amount of time.

OMG, that is fantastic.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    No offence to anyone who owns one (I do), but I would seriously recommend to BB & MGW to dump Omega and get back to Rolex. Preferably an Explorer or Sub. Then stick with it over multiple films. This jumping around with the latest timepieces each time to accommodate Omega's burgeoning (and far from classic) product line & upmarket ambitions is becoming rather tiresome for me.

Agreed. I like some of Omega's offerings (speedmaster, planet ocean, seamaster, globemaster) but Bond should be wearing a Rolex. I'd love to see Bond rocking a 36mm explorer or no date sub. Waterproof, classy, but sporty.

Some might say Bond wouldn't buy an "expensive" watch, but Bond is supposed to have great taste. Being an unmarried bachelor, Rolex isn't really that out of his realm. Especially since some of his coats & jackets cost sometimes half of one.
    The thing about the Explorer and Sub are that they are the archetypal tool watches. Very unadorned and functional despite the price. In a way, they are similar to the old classic Mercedes and VW products. Built to last with form following function for the most part.

The current Omega line, nice though it is, is becoming overly stylized imho. Fashion for the sake of fashion. Moreover, changing the watch every film seems a bit overdone. I even liked how Brosnan wore one style consistently during his tenure.

Still, like you I'd still prefer Rolex due to the connection to Fleming, the novels and the early Bond films (up to LTK with some digression for the chintzy quartz Seikos and Citizens during Roger's middle tenure).
    I don't believe Roger ever wore Citizens. Only seikos and hamiltons.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    David Oyelowo was a guest on 'The Late Show' last night, and Stephen Colbert asked him about starring in 'Othello' with Daniel Craig, which instantly turned to talk of Bond.

Stephen: Now you just did a play -- you did a othello with Daniel Craig?
    David: I did, here in New York.
    Stephen: Okay. Now, he's no longer going to be bond, right? We don't know who the next bond is going to be.
    David: We don't know that.
    Stephen: What? I heard he's not going to do it anymore.
    David: Really?
    Stephen: That's what I heard. I know what I heard, david oyelowo.
    David: Well, I don't know. I have been in a dressing room for him for three months, so I don't know about that.

Guys, this is huge! This is the closest we've come to any confirmation Craig will be returning. David practically confirmed it right then and there.
    Not really.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,756
    To me it sounded like he was done.

"We don't know (who the next Bond actor will be)"

Then David tries to cover up what he said by saying "Well, I don't know."
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 187
    To me it sounds like the "We don't know that" is a direct response to the first part of the sentence; "Now, he's no longer going to be Bond, right?" because of the next reaction from Colbert. If David was in agreement with him over not knowing the next Bond actor, the reaction from Colbert doesn't really make all that much sense.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Perhaps I'm blind via my perspective but, I don't see how any word he said could be interpreted to any claim. He just said "we don't know." Which means they don't know. How could anyone get assumptions in those words is beyond me.
    Perhaps I'm blind via my perspective but, I don't see how any word he said could be interpreted to any claim. He just said "we don't know." Which means they don't know. How could anyone get assumptions in those words is beyond me.

More so the comment: "I've been in a dressing room with him for three months, so I don't know about that." I think the implication there is that he's not so sure Craig is retiring the role after all.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Or in other words, he's not aware.

Yes, I think you're right. I seem to recall seeing one somewhere, but I could be wrong.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,756

Yes, I think you're right. I seem to recall seeing one somewhere, but I could be wrong.

He wore the Submariner in LALD but also his Hamilton Pulsar, and various Seikos. His best one imo was his AVTAK Seiko.

• Craig has been a great Bond, but going around one more time in 2019 (if that's when it happens) is a hiding to nothing.

It would likely be his last and you can just imagine all the pathos and angst someone like Mendes would love to pack into the film.

Noooooo thanks.

One more would hurt Craig's tenure. Considerably.

I think we could still get a Aidan Turner Bond film directed by Martin Campbell in Nov 2019. That's my prediction.
    I think we could still get a Aidan Turner Bond film directed by Martin Campbell in Nov 2019. That's my prediction.
    I know that's what you're hoping, but that scenario will never happen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd have been fine with him if he wasn't blown out of proportion here by some but he's been so overrated that I'm leaning on a no.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 386
    AT doesn't look like a Bond to me.

Off the top of my head:

Clive Owen (old)
    Tom Hardy
    Henry Cavill (would be bland, yes)
    Michael Fassbender (perhaps too small)