No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Even if the chopper story should turn out to be total bo***cks in a few weeks (which I think it won't)...we had a tiny shake-up ourselves and something intriguing to discuss. That's what our passion for the subject is about, isn't it? :)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    @RC7 do you have anything to say about Baz's comments?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Hmm, if Baz is truthful on this, then I can only imagine the distributor deal must be holding things up. Either that, or they are all just tired of Bond and want a year off? I can't really think of any other reason for the delay.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They had their year off. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2017 Posts: 16,330
    Ever since their bankruptcy, MGM's been rather problematic. If only they would sell their half of the Bond rights back to EON these longer gaps wouldn't be happening.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Baz has never bs'd about Bond and outside of official EoN announcements, he's the only credible source of information. Like I said in an earlier post, none of this is practical: EoN getting a chopper and filming in a few weeks when they don't even have a bloody distributor. I'm all for keeping hope alive but let's be realistic and not be blinded by our fantom. As far as I'm concerned, we'll be EXTREMELY lucky to get Bond 25 even in 2019.
    They had their year off. ;)

My mind keeps casting back to Craig saying in countless interviews "I just need six months off." That was 15 months ago now, haha. Not that I'm blaming him entirely, of course. I think it was MGW who said that we should expect an announcement regarding the distributor back in february of last year.
    Well with MGM playing hard ball, they can't all be right.
    Murdock wrote: »

So you think its MGM causing the fuss? That's certainly food for thought.

Of course. The only reason B25 has not been in production sooner is because they are sitting on their butts trying to pick a distributor, they are halting the wheels of progress. You can't start a horse race when the starting gates don't open.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Of course. The only reason B25 has not been in production sooner is because they are sitting on their butts trying to pick a distributor, they are halting the wheels of progress. You can't start a horse race when the starting gates don't open.

I wonder if the chopper purchase and any other "goings on" behind the scenes is EON's way of nudging MGM along.

Also, this report from Baz states that Bond 25 won't be premiering any sooner than 2019, which I never would have expected it any sooner, even after this chopper news. These two reports aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

But why do MGM want the draw out the process like this? Surely, its in their financial interest to see that Bond 25 gets made in a timely manner?

But why do MGM want the draw out the process like this? Surely, its in their financial interest to see that Bond 25 gets made in a timely manner?
    Your guess is as good as mine.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

It's not as simple as, "here's the contract. Agree to this and sign here". These deals can take time. It's all about agreeing to the best possible deal at the time and who has the most leverage. Stakeholders have to be on board and it can easily be just one person holding things up.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Don't wait for it to happen. Don't even want it to happen.

Just watch what does happen.
    blog_import_548d314829883.jpg

Its not like Baz is gonna come out and say. Yea Bond 25 is in the works will be announce everything soon.
    doubleoego wrote: »

It's not as simple as, "here's the contract. Agree to this and sign here". These deals can take time. It's all about agreeing to the best possible deal at the time and who has the most leverage. Stakeholders have to be on board and it can easily be just one person holding things up.

So when you say we would be extremely lucky for even a 2019 release, does that mean you see this stalemate continuing for the near future? The helicopter could signal that they are ready to go now.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »

So when you say we would be extremely lucky for even a 2019 release, does that mean you see this stalemate continuing for the near future? The helicopter could signal that they are ready to go now.

"Guys, we've got the helicopter! It's GO time!"
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I've never seen so much enthusiasm...over a helicopter.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sam Mendes would only return if he got a vintage helicopter in addition to his regular salary.
    Maybe it's to fly Thomas Newman to music school. =))
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Sam Mendes would only return if he got a vintage helicopter in addition to his regular salary.
    I've heard the helicopter transforms into a db5.
    :D
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,000

@Murdock He can listen to the rotor blades to learn what a beat sounds like. :D
  • RC7RC7

The PTS is the new Bond dropping Mendes down a chimney.
    That would be so much fun.

@Murdock He can listen to the rotor blades to learn what a beat sounds like. :D
    Some of the music he's done for Bond sounds like rotor blades. :))
  • RC7 wrote: »

The PTS is the new Bond dropping Mendes down a chimney.

And on his way down you hear: "Guinness World Recooooooooooord!"
  • Two pieces of miscellaneous background.

--Back when MGM was in bankruptcy, it filed a reorganization plan that said the studio wanted to get Bond movies back on an every-other-year schedule.

--As Skyfall was coming out, Barbara Broccoli said in a couple of interviews (one by the Los Angeles Times) that Eon wasn't going to be hurried by a studio again. Around the same time, MGM's Gary Barber indicated the studio would be a little more flexible about the schedule.

Analysis (by me): Eon and MGM have had a dysfunctional relationship ever since MGM acquired United Artists in 1981. During the 1980s and '90s, there was a lot of tension, especially as MGM had various executive regimes.

I've listened to many of the MGM investor calls since Gary Barber took over. On some of them, he refers to "our partners at Eon-Danjaq." My guess is Barber, at least publicly, wants to play nice with Barbara Broccoli. But I suspect the relationship remains uneasy.

Barber wants to take MGM public some day soon. He's trying to make MGM look as good as it can before that happens.

At the same time, it's a very legitimate question why MGM hasn't reached a distribution deal with another studio or decided to distribute the 007 film movies itself. I'm surprised the major U.S. entertainment media outlets haven't explored that. But there's so much going on, maybe they don't have the time or resources to get to the bottom of it.
    I know Buzz Bingoboy had some scoops before, but how much does he know these days?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    As much as us me thinks :))