The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    NicNac wrote: »
    I agree that Pierce would have fitted right in to old Hollywood, as George Clooney would.

The issue I sometimes have with him is that he knows it better than anyone. He plays on it. His expression says 'Look at me guys, bet you wished you looked this good?'

Furthermore, if I were him I would be exactly the same!

Go Pierce.

Pierce thinking or acting that way implies a little arrogance, and I've never felt that from him. He's one of the most down to earth, straight-shooting actors working today.
    I saw this 2010 interview with Pierce and Rene Russo, who we know starred together in the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair.

I can't help but think he had more "chemistry" with her than he did with most of his Bond girls.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
  • Great actor in his own right, unfortunately his last decent movie was Ghostwriter, a while back.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The November Man,' 'No Escape,' and 'A Long Way Down' have released since that, and I found those to be pretty good - nothing I'd write home about, but fun ways to spend 90 minutes or so.

'The World's End' is another great one, albeit one starring Pierce in a particularly small role.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Can't wait to see him in The Son.
    I'm really looking forward to that one, as well. Minus 'The Walking Dead,' AMC typically does a good job at making quality TV.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,588
    That is quite the bold statement, @Creasy47. ;)
    @jake24, very controversial, indeed! I gave the show two fair, honest chances, and both times it turned into a dull soap opera with zombies eventually. I just can't stand shows that incorporate so much filler, it immediately kills my interest and involvement.

I've no doubts that 'The Son' will be much, much better.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I totally see where you're coming from. The Walking Dead is not for everyone.
    Well, judging by the fact that The Son is based on a novel, I don't think we'll see that soap opera from it that is so common, nowadays.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The November Man,' 'No Escape,' and 'A Long Way Down' have released since that, and I found those to be pretty good - nothing I'd write home
    about, but fun ways to spend 90 minutes or so.

'The World's End' is another great one, albeit one starring Pierce in a particularly small role.

They were not that good, no offense.
    I never said they should've won all the Oscars of their respective years, but given what they were, they were pretty enjoyable.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The November Man,' 'No Escape,' and 'A Long Way Down' have released since that, and I found those to be pretty good - nothing I'd write home
    about, but fun ways to spend 90 minutes or so.

They were not that good, no offense.

The November Man was a pretty good flick, although significantly simplified from the novel it was based on. Pierce was great in it, and elevated the material significantly. I hope a sequel comes soon.

No Escape was fine too, and had some good sequences, but really needed someone other than Owen Wilson in it. His character was so irritating that I actually hoped he'd die.

A Long Way Down was a poor adaptation of a good book. A good cast was wasted there.
  • 45% and 34% on rotten tomatoes for what it's worth, and pretty much garnered mixed critics everywhere, saw them once each it's enough for a decade probably. I agree both action movies had weak cast(save broz) that didn't help and he's not to blame(just like his bond movies) but let's be honest both flicks are mediocre at best.

Like i said Brosnan's last decent movie was Ghostwriter. which is about 15 movies ago, then we go 10 years ago with Shattered or seraphim falls, whatever but as of late, it's just bad.

I've seen all his movies except maybe 2-3 c-movies i don't care and his last 2 movies are probably his worst, watch them i dare ya. They're "Urge" and "I.T". Painful to watch.

Foreigner looks sick we'll have to see, Jackie chan vs Brosnan i believe another IRA movie.

I think you need to include 'The Ghost' as one of his best roles...for me it is anyway.
    I didn't see anything special out of Pierce in The Ghost Writer. It was a fairly good political thriller, and Brosnan delivered a brooding, grumpy and easy-to-be-enraged character performance but that's about it. He did the same in The November Man. It's not as big and glorifying as some people make it out to be. It's certainly not. He gave a better performance in the unrecognized and deeply underrated Butterfly On A Wheel.
    Tailor of Panama is one of Brozza's best performances.

(in the third one he reminds me of an older Taffin).
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    jake24 wrote: »
    pierce-brosnan-and-his-wife-keely-shaye-smith-with-award-during-the-picture-id629044456
    Charming couple.

112633-jonah-hill-oscars-cut-it-out-g-KPB5.gif
    I know it's not right for me to say anything in the matter but... why Pierce as a husband not demanding his wife to be on diet to an extent? :)) Is Love that blind?
    @dominicgreene :)). We need to assign you as the forum gif poster.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,690
    45% and 34% on rotten tomatoes for what it's worth, and pretty much garnered mixed critics everywhere,

Can we please stop with that nonsense? 'Taken' has 58% on rotten tomatoes, and is widely regarded as one of the best action films of the last 10 years. Who on earth looks at RT scores for action films? They only loved Bourne Ultimatum, John Wick and Mad Max Fury Road in the same time-span, so you are telling those 3 films are the only good action flicks made in the last decade?
    @DaltonCraig007, who realistically looks at RT for any genre, really? Like I mentioned to you the other day, if I believed in RT, then 'Ghostbusters' was one of the best comedies of last year, and 'The Witch' was one of the best horror movies - yet I thought both were beyond terrible. Hence, I don't listen to reviews.

I'd never get to watch another action movie again if I took all the action reviews at face value.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,756
    jake24 wrote: »
    @dominicgreene :)). We need to assign you as the forum gif poster.

@jake24 :D :D :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I didn't see anything special out of Pierce in The Ghost Writer. It was a fairly good political thriller, and Brosnan delivered a brooding, grumpy and easy-to-be-enraged character performance but that's about it. He did the same in The November Man. It's not as big and glorifying as some people make it out to be. It's certainly not. He gave a better performance in the unrecognized and deeply underrated Butterfly On A Wheel.

That I did like a lot too. He was especially good during the denouement scenes.

I also think Broz gave a strong performance in The Greatest. Paired with Sarandon, those two managed to make what would otherwise be cheesy YA drama seem credible and touching.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 67
    45% and 34% on rotten tomatoes for what it's worth, and pretty much garnered mixed critics everywhere,

Can we please stop with that nonsense? 'Taken' has 58% on rotten tomatoes, and is widely regarded as one of the best action films of the last 10 years. Who on earth looks at RT scores for action films? They only loved Bourne Ultimatum, John Wick and Mad Max Fury Road in the same time-span, so you are telling those 3 films are the only good action flicks made in the last decade?

Actually those 3 movies you mentioned were very good, extremely better than broz's the escape, survivor and november man, not even close.

RT is actually solid when it comes to reviews just like IMDB is, doesn't mean they're always right, but mostly it's true. Naturally it's so easy to blame the critics when we're biased and love certain movies ain't it? You can call it guilty pleasure.

i see you dodge his last 2 movies URGE and I.T?

Taken was an ok movie at best, wow her daughter has been kidnapped that's such an original plot. gimme a break. I'd rank real badass movies like J. bourne, collateral, jack reacher or john wick miles ahead.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, who realistically looks at RT for any genre, really? Like I mentioned to you the other day, if I believed in RT, then 'Ghostbusters' was one of the best comedies of last year, and 'The Witch' was one of the best horror movies - yet I thought both were beyond terrible. Hence, I don't listen to reviews.

I'd never get to watch another action movie again if I took all the action reviews at face value.

What? apples and oranges, horror and comedy movies don't compare to action movies. you didn't know that?

there is no perfect critics, but RT is usually decent so is IMDB, IMDB has ghostbusters at 5.4/10

anything else?
  • I didn't see anything special out of Pierce in The Ghost Writer. It was a fairly good political thriller, and Brosnan delivered a brooding, grumpy
    and easy-to-be-enraged character performance but that's about it. He did the same in The November Man. It's not as big and glorifying as some people make it out to be. It's certainly not. He gave a better performance in the unrecognized and deeply underrated Butterfly On A Wheel.

First of all, i said decent not extraordinary or a masterpiece, i'm a broz fan since goldeneye came out so i'd say he never made a "Masterpiece" very few actors do.

secundo, we're talking about his movies not his acting in it. two different animals. Ghostwriter was infinitely better than November man, the cast, the acting the story etc

finally "butterfly on a wheel" is called Shattered in USA. it's the revenge movie with Butler broz and bello.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,690

Actually those 3 movies you mentioned were very good, extremely better than broz's the escape, survivor and november man, not even close.

RT is actually solid when it comes to reviews better than IMDB or metacritics, but it's so easy to blame the critics when we're biased and love certain movies ain't it? You can call it guilty pleasure.

i see you dodge his last 2 movies URGE and I.T?

Taken was an ok movie at best, wow her daughter has been kidnapped that's such an original plot. gimme a break. I'd rank real badass movies like J. bourne, collateral, jack reacher or john wick miles ahead.

What in the hell are you on about? 'Taken' is widely regarded as one of the best action films of the last decade. It seems you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Get your head out of the sand and stop basing your arguments on RT scores. Honestly, get out of your fantasy world and get back to reality. You didn't care for Taken, that's fine. It does not change the fact that for a vast majority of people it is one of the best action flicks of the last 10 years.