The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

16061636566137

Comments

  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they're going to remake the original storyline of The Thomas Crown Affair, with Michael B. Jordan.
    That is terribly unfortunate indeed. Hollywood demonstrating it's run out of ideas.

    Their latest avenue of success is rebooting/creating a sequel to an old property, and simply switching the race/gender of the characters involved. Stinks of unoriginality, like that upcoming 'Ocean's 8' movie.
    That's what bugs me. And Ocean's Eight capitalizes on the idea of the crew being an all-woman one. Isn't that discrimination? I don't remember the first trilogy ever stating that "it's an all-men crew", or the very stupidity of The ExpendaBELLES being an all-woman cast of characters, being written by the girls who wrote Legally Blonde and its sequel. Why not go for something like Sucker Punch? No. They just have to replace the roles of men who played certain characters with women, or the whites with others to prove a point. Agenda-driven committees. Something that frightens me about the future of the Bond films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,670
    I'd have no problem watching an all-female, original heist film, that's the thing. My issue comes from the fact that they're trying to piggyback off of a series that hasn't been remotely popular in over a decade, putting a lazy spin on it through gender/race swapping.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd have no problem watching an all-female, original heist film, that's the thing. My issue comes from the fact that they're trying to piggyback off of a series that hasn't been remotely popular in over a decade, putting a lazy spin on it through gender/race swapping.
    That's exactly my problem, @Creasy47. They take a piece of the cake. They don't invent their own. I don't mind an all-female cast action film of any kind of film (excluding romcoms and dramas). I just despise the fact they always want to take the money-grabbing machine, the easy property that's already built and restructure it to satisfy their agenda. That's what bothers me regarding the matter.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,670
    @ClarkDevlin, I think that's the problem most film fans have. Of course, there will always be the anti-female detractors who despise ANYTHING that stars all women, and there will always be the keyboard racists who slag off anything that's led by minority actors, but a good portion of people commenting about the likes of the new 'Ghostbusters' or 'Ocean's 8' online do seem to share the same sentiments: it's the lazy angle regarding an old property we don't care for. Be original (something that Hollywood isn't terribly good at anymore)!
  • Posts: 11,425
    Makes you look back at the 'commercial' 80s and think how many original movies were made back then. Superheroes and what not have taken over now
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Oh I definitely don't have a problem with any kind of minority individuals or anything. I wouldn't care about GhostBusters because I'm not a fan of it. But, I understand that the original characters weren't gender-bent and instead the new ghostbusters were new characters. So I don't have a problem with it that much. Just don't take up an old property and subvert things into controversial templates. That's what I don't want to see. If they make something original? It's theirs to keep it like that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,670
    @ClarkDevlin, hopefully you didn't think I was saying I have a problem with minorities in my post! Couldn't be further from the truth. What I was trying to get at is that I'm tired of them gender/race swapping old properties through a new installment and acting like the title alone will coast them to a stunning box office return and great reviews, because it's hardly ever the case. Be original, and I'll gladly support your product.

    My second favorite film (thus far) of 2016 was 'Moonlight': an original film directed by/starring African Americans, featuring beautiful, touching performances with a wonderful tale to tell.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    @Creasy47, mate, don't freak out. I didn't! :)) I don't take things out of context. Of course, I couldn't agree more with your statement regarding the originality and the remakes. Sometimes they just remake stuff to show the newer audiences what they want to see with the big label. The larger product "for everyone". But, not everything works that way. Films and theatres are of those belongings. You can use the concept of a story and change the characters with new ones. Don't subvert the old ones and capitalize on them. That's what I'm saying.

    One thing though, in a related way, is upsetting me is that they're rebooting Shaft as a blaxploitation comedy. Since when Shaft, one of the first African-American heroes on screen to look up to, has been the subject of a comedy? Seriously? There's Black Dynamite for that. It's just that Hollywood has lost its sight regarding things.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,670
    Agreed. And there's most certainly humor to be found in 'Shaft,' but yes, turning it into 'Black Dynamite'? Why? Two entirely different beasts, they should keep the feel of everything that came before instead of turning it into something else.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Something the majority of filmmakers won't understand.
  • Another Thomas crown affair? well the last one was a good 18 years ago i remember. It's been years Hollywood has ran out of ideas, nowadays it's the actors that sell not the film itself.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,670
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Another Thomas crown affair? well the last one was a good 18 years ago i remember. It's been years Hollywood has ran out of ideas, nowadays it's the actors that sell not the film itself.

    It's been dead in the water for many years now, we were just discussing the prospect of this happening. However, given the amount of random sequels to older films we've gotten lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this did see the light of day.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    I would be very happy if they do the sequel. But, the reboot with Michael B. Jordan? Sorry but no.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Another Thomas crown affair? well the last one was a good 18 years ago i remember. It's been years Hollywood has ran out of ideas, nowadays it's the actors that sell not the film itself.

    i thought the actors were slightly less vital than they used to be. In terms of box office at least.

    The whole point of these big franchises is that they keep on going regardless of casting.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,812
    Has anyone seen Love Is All You Need and/or Some Kind Of Beautiful? I've been wanting to watch those two for awhile now. Just curious if they're worth it.
  • Posts: 11,189
    Has anyone seen Love Is All You Need and/or Some Kind Of Beautiful? I've been wanting to watch those two for awhile now. Just curious if they're worth it.

    Love is All You Need is good but haven't seen Some Kind of Beautiful.

  • Posts: 11,189
    Pierce on Saturday Night Live:



    A little bit cringe.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,336
    Not available in my country.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Posts: 3,000
    Same here, unfortunately.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,336
    I've seen it before when he was on SNL, It was one of my favorite skits he was in. :))
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,588
    Can't see it either.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    You can change your IP address. That way, it can be available.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Another Thomas crown affair? well the last one was a good 18 years ago i remember. It's been years Hollywood has ran out of ideas, nowadays it's the actors that sell not the film itself.

    i thought the actors were slightly less vital than they used to be. In terms of box office at least.

    The whole point of these big franchises is that they keep on going regardless of casting.

    Thomas crown affair is a big franchise? what? oh and i disagree wholeheartedly. Movie legend like Tom cruise is the only reason whya movie like jack reacher 2 wasn't a total flop financially.

    Guys like Pitt,leo, cruise or depp sells like crazy. Plus i have no interest of watching a movie with unknown kids like those new star wars sorry!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Posts: 7,572
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Another Thomas crown affair? well the last one was a good 18 years ago i remember. It's been years Hollywood has ran out of ideas, nowadays it's the actors that sell not the film itself.

    i thought the actors were slightly less vital than they used to be. In terms of box office at least.

    The whole point of these big franchises is that they keep on going regardless of casting.

    Thomas crown affair is a big franchise? what? oh and i disagree wholeheartedly. Movie legend like Tom cruise is the only reason whya movie like jack reacher 2 wasn't a total flop financially.

    Guys like Pitt,leo, cruise or depp sells like crazy. Plus i have no interest of watching a movie with unknown kids like those new star wars sorry!

    He wasn't referring to TCA as such, it was a general overview.

    I agree with you about something like Jack Reacher. Cruise is the selling point.

    But @Getafix is right about big franchise's existing regardless of actors in the main role. Any of the Marvel films, Star Trek and Star Wars. You personally may have no interest in Star Wars but it doesn't detract from the fact that the franchise is bigger than any single actor.
    The same with Bond.
  • I doubt we'll be seeing a sequel to The November Man. I saw the movie in the theatres when it came out, and have viewed the film two times since. I think it's a solid movie, it doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Bond, Bourne, and the others. That being said Brosnan is superb in his performance, it would've been interesting to see him bring that type of portrayal to his Bond movies. I think that the movie gets a little too convoluted at times, it has great action sequences but nothing other than that really
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Exactly. A low budget indie movie. That's why.
  • It's a shame too. I was really hoping for him to get his own spinoff franchise, he seemed unhappy with his time as Bond and he's said that plenty of times. The November Man franchise could've been his chance to stand alongside the likes of the modern action films like Craig's Bond and Bourne. It's a shame it didn't hit with audiences
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Posts: 2,730
    I love Brosnan as bond I really think he is cool and I try to see his movies post Bond and those movies are sad. I think goldeneye is pretty good but I can't stand the score . Then I like TND because it's everything u want from a bond film then TWINE is just silly and DND is shit so he's 2 for 4 which is sad
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    While I like The November Man for what it is, it doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Bourne and Taken. These films have represented the quality of a fair budgeted action pack of a thriller they are required to attract with. Brosnan's film doesn't have that. Because the budget is too limited. I mean, originally it was supposed to get at least $40 Million financial support when Brosnan wanted to make it back in 2006. The final film got it made with a budget of $15 Million. It was a television movie quality, not theatrical or cinema-worthy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    While I like The November Man for what it is, it doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Bourne and Taken.
    +1. Not even close for me. The November Man has a bit of a cheap Eurotrash (for lack of a better word) feel to it. Like those direct to video thrillers that fading action stars make when they're on their way out with East European stars in it. Segal, Van Damme, Snipes etc. all did it.

    It's entertaining enough but not great. Closer to Taken in feel than Bourne imho.
Sign In or Register to comment.