The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    One day soon, Brosnan will be appropriate for Alfred. Next reboot perhaps.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »
    One day soon, Brosnan will be appropriate for Alfred. Next reboot perhaps.

I would love to see Brosnan as an ex-SAS Alfred who still trains with Bruce in his old age and has a harder edge than other interpretations. I like Irons, but I'd happily swap him out for Pierce, just to see how he and Ben would react off each other.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Love the ideas, Brady! Pierce would definitely rock the Deathstroke role! And now that Ra'as Al Ghul hasn't been cast yet, I'd definitely watch Pierce donning the mantle.

That also said, coming to DC, I think Pierce would also be great as King Faraday. He has the build as well as the mannerism.

With the mention of Alfred, I did hear sometime ago that there was speculation of Pierce being cast as Deuce in the film adaptation of the Danger Girl comics, which you can say is the Alfred of that franchise. So, if he plays Alfred in a future Batman film, or even Birds of Prey, I'd be welcoming it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, I really hope that we at least get to see Talia in these new films, to explore one of Bruce's old loves coming into his life, with a solo film possibly revolving around Ra's forcing him to take over as the head of The League of Assassins.

Because this Batman is older and jaded there's an unspoken history with all these women he has that we haven't seen, so I think it'd be interesting to have characters like Selina and Talia come back into his life after years apart with us ignorant to what broke them apart. One of the more interesting things about avoiding a reboot or origin is that you can use the characters mysteriously without revealing to your audiences what has happened between them all.
    With the mention of Alfred, I did hear sometime ago that there was speculation of Pierce being cast as Deuce in the film adaptation of the Danger Girl comics, which you can say is the Alfred of that franchise. So, if he plays Alfred in a future Batman film, or even Birds of Prey, I'd be welcoming it.

I didn't know Pierce was rumored to be considered for Deuce. If that were to happen, he'd go completely full circle. He started acting in part because of Sean Connery in Goldfinger, and would end up not only playing the role the man made famous but also the comics character directly inspired by his James Bond. That's the snake eat its own tail two times over.
    I really wasn't satisfied with the use of Talia in The Dark Knight Returns and there was something about Marion Cotillard not being quite the fit for the role. So, should they bring Talia back, they should make the right choice with it. Way back, that said only three or four years ago, out of curiosity I gave Prince of Persia a watch. Gemma Arterton (as usual) caught my attention there, and I did envision her as Talia in some places. I wouldn't mind seeing her in the role and lead Bruce into taking her side in the leadership of the League. And then, that famous desert finale you mentioned would occur in Ra'as' stronghold (one of my favourite TAS episodes).

And then, there's the Catwoman, which would be a large mistake should they not cast Eva Green. She's not that far from Affleck's age. She'd be the greatest Catwoman hands down. Acting chops, sensation, a real justice for the character.

Oh yes, certainly! Basically, Deuce is supposed to be James Bond but they're not naming him as such (due to legal reasons and whatnot), and his adventures are referenced many times especially throughout the first issue of the first original miniseries. Pierce should be the one playing Deuce. Other choices for him I heard were Timothy Dalton and Sam Neill. Although, nothing came out of the project sadly and I fear it's already cancelled.
    @ClarkDevlin, yes, Talia is by far the weakest villain of Nolan's Batman films. The big issue is that by keeping the world grounded, a lot of that character was lost. There was nothing mentioned in the films about Lazarus Pits or the powerful assassin order and all the crazy trials that initiates go through because Nolan aimed for telling a realistic story. All that very fantasy based stuff had to be stripped back until Talia was just a woman who wanted to finish her father's work. There wasn't much left of the comic character at that point.

Eva Green is the perfect Selina, and it's a shame it's probably not happening. Anyone else is a step down.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Part of the problem with the Talia character was that they hid her from us (even though we all knew who she was) until the end. So Cotilard was somewhat constrained in what she could do with the role for most of the film. Perhaps it needed an actress with a bit more natural pluck, and yes, I think Arterton could do the role justice.

Hathaway did a much better job than I thought she could though. I was impressed with her.
    It was just a risky move all over. Talia is just one of those characters that needs to be in a comic book styled universe as opposed to a "real world" one. They pulled off Ra's well, as they retained his mission to give Gotham a rebirth, but Cotilard is no Neeson and literally the first second I saw her I said, "Yep, well there's Talia." Not well used, set up, whatever. Bruce should've seen her coming. ;)
    Agreed. Talia is a character that works well in the "fantasy world" rather than the grounded realistic universe, which is perfectly showcased in this film that the latter does not work for a character like her. And I love Marion Cotillard, don't get me wrong, but in the end, she just didn't sound like Talia for me despite the most of us seeing her coming from miles away. They should've gone with another character. Heck, even Lady Shiva would've worked, here to "punish Batman and Gotham" for the demise of her boss she was very loyal to. She can be grounded. Talia can't.

As an actress, I love Anne Hathaway, and she's definitely one of the 'greats' in her generation. But, as Cafwoman, I suppose she was alright. Not top notch, just fine. It's all down the writing, I guess. Catwoman is a passionate romantic in a way (but not loyal, as usual) whereas Anne's version was just an athletic cat burglar who had a coupe of principles (like never stealing from the poor, etc). That's that. But, her standing ground is definitely better than Talia's.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brosnan was considered for Batman earlier. Gee, I don t know about that. As Bruce Wayne,yes maybe. But as Batman?
    He turned the role down nevertheless.
    Has anyone seen his latest film 'I.T' ?

It looks a bit naff from what I have seen,and his Northern Irish accent is pretty annoying.
    @Thunderfinger, a big question for you:

Would you rather have Pierce be a 90s Batman, or a 90s Bond?

I am personally glad he ended up being Bond. I'm not super fond of his films, but I wouldn't want the poor guy to end up suffering in the Schumacher movies like Kilmer and Clooney did. At least the Bond brand allowed Pierce to get great work after his era, whereas Batman could've sunk him.
    He wouldn t be any worse than val Kilmer. Who knows, he might have been good?

Clooney was probably the best of them, but ironically in the worst Batman film of all time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Oh yes, certainly! Basically, Deuce is supposed to be James Bond but they're not naming him as such (due to legal reasons and whatnot), and his adventures are referenced many times especially throughout the first issue of the first original miniseries. Pierce should be the one playing Deuce. Other choices for him I heard were Timothy Dalton and Sam Neill. Although, nothing came out of the project sadly and I fear it's already cancelled.

When the Danger girl film was annouced, I devised my own dream cast, wherein I had Dalton as Deuce. Though Donavin Conrad looks a little like Dalton's Neville Sinclair character from The Rocketeer, just with an eyepatch. Deuce is definitely supposed to be an older Connery:Bond, even looking uncannily like Connery's character in the Medicine Man.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @barryt007, yep I've seen I.T., which I'd say one would only watch if he or she is a Brosnan fan, like I am. But, the recent films he has been doing, the B and C grade movies in his belt are rather annoying. An actor like Brosnan could find better roles and offers if he wants, but seems to me he wants comfort rather than fame.

And well said, Brady. The Batman films before the Nolan era were not quite worth the shot. Not because they're terribly flawed (with respect towards Keaton's two), but the cheesiness of the superhero films during the era nearly ruined the careers of many then-promising actors and actresses. I'm very glad Pierce ultimately got to be Bond.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I quite fancy I.T. because as a reasonably tech-savvy person I always enjoy Hollywood's portrayals of How Computers Work.

I am baffled by some of the movies Brosnan picks, though. He can't be short of cash, so, as I asked myself while watching The Love Punch on Boxing Day because apparently I had nothing better to do: whyyyyyy??
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I quite fancy I.T. because as a reasonably tech-savvy person I always enjoy Hollywood's portrayals of How Computers Work.

I am baffled by some of the movies Brosnan picks, though. He can't be short of cash, so, as I asked myself while watching The Love Punch on Boxing Day because apparently I had nothing better to do: whyyyyyy??

His films really are a mixed bag!
    @barryt007, yep I've seen I.T., which I'd say one would only watch if he or she is a Brosnan fan, like I am. But, the recent films he has been doing, the B and C grade movies in his belt are rather annoying. An actor like Brosnan could find better roles and offers if he wants, but seems to me he wants comfort rather than fame.

And well said, Brady. The Batman films before the Nolan era were not quite worth the shot. Not because they're terribly flawed (with respect towards Keaton's two), but the cheesiness of the superhero films during the era nearly ruined the careers of many then-promising actors and actresses. I'm very glad Pierce ultimately got to be Bond.

Yes, Pierce didn't deserve the horrid possible career backlash of Batman in the 90s. I thank high heaven Burton and Keaton saw how bad things were getting in those films and hit the road to avoid being around for it to bomb. One big missed opportunity is an even darker third Keaton film, maybe with him facing Man Bat to add a sense of duality to the movie; two men that are bats, one as a symbol and one who was one for real. I'd have loved to see what that team could've done with practical effects to create a monster-like Man Bat. Could've been creepy. I think Burton could've also done great things with Scarecrow, using Crane's emphasis on fear to create some truly surreal and nightmarish sequences where Bruce gets gassed and becomes haunted and put on edge as his demons become unrepressed and unleashed.

But the 90s can never be forgiven for how they killed the Batman brand for near a decade, and to think they were only there to sell toys. I still to this day can't believe there's films where Batman says, "Chicks did the car," and where he fights over a woman with Robin and flashes his exclusive bat credit card. I used to love that shit as a kid, but was too stupid to see just how horrendously bad it all was.
    Brosnan discusses The Son, reflects on his time as Bond, even embraces George as a great company, despite past clashes between the two.

http://jam.canoe.com/Television/2017/03/31/22714503.html
    Man, I could listen to Pierce talk all day. He has such a beautiful, eloquent and poetic way of putting things.

I hope this show turns out to do for him what True Detective did for Matthew McConaughey, showing people a side of him nobody had seen before that unveils his performance potential. It helps that Pierce is playing a real cold bastard here, as those are the characters he shines best as.
    He's very modest and gotten to be so over the years after some time of struggling to accept he's been cut off from the Bond role. I remember reading once, though, that he smashed a paparazzi camera who was irritating his daughter. I doubt he's like that now.

I'd love Pierce to have a renaissance of popularity with The Son and end up getting cast in better roles in the future. I'm still interested to see him in a Thomas Crown sequel based on the John Rogers script I read a month ago before his time runs out by the time he reaches 70.
    A brief teaser trailer regarding The Foreigner has been released:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5h17h0_the-foreigner-jackie-chan-pierce-brosnan_shortfilms
    The Mirror :

Pierce Brosnan talks life after losing wife and daughter to ovarian cancer and growing up without a dad

Pierce Brosnan has given a candid interview about family life, saying: “I don’t look at the cup as half full, believe me."

The former James Bond star opened up about dealing with a series of difficulties, including losing his wife and daughter to ovarian cancer, and also growing up without a father figure.

His first wife Cassandra Harris died aged 43 after a battle with ovarian cancer in 1991. They had been married for 11 years.

His daughter Charlotte, who was Cassandra’s daughter from a previous relationship and who he later legally adopted - died of the same disease in 2013.

Speaking to Esquire while promoting his new AMC series The Son, the 63-year-old actor said: “I don’t look at the cup as half full, believe me.

"The dark, melancholy Irish black dog sits beside me from time to time.”

Shortly after he was born, Pierce’s father abandoned the family and his mum moved to London for work, leaving him to live with relatives.

“My fatherly instincts are purely my own. They relate back to no one, because there was no one,” he said.

The actor went on to say he only once met his dad and would have liked to have got to know him a lot better.

“I only met Tom the once, I had a Sunday afternoon with him. A story about this and that, had a few pints of Guinness, and we said goodbye. I would have loved to have known him.

"He was a good whistler and he had a good walk… That’s as much as I know about him.”
    Just when you think Pierce can't become even more likable.

Much like Bond, he faces a lot of death and despair, but is able to keep pressing on with his tattered soul. A very beautiful man, he is.
    Just when you think Pierce can't become even more likable.

Much like Bond, he faces a lot of death and despair, but is able to keep pressing on with his tattered soul. A very beautiful man, he is.

Seconded! Well said! =D>
    I have to agree.
    I have to agree.

That's very big of you, Thundy. Now we've just got to get you to respond that way whenever someone comments, "Goldeneye is the best Bond film ever!"
    I have to agree.

That's very big of you, Thundy. Now we've just got to get you to respond that way whenever someone comments, "Goldeneye is the best Bond film ever!"

I just may do that 360 days from now.