The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• gt007gt007 Station G
    Talking briefly about Brosnan in another thread, I went and rewatched one of his interviews to the amazing Craig Ferguson. Enjoy. :)

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That was a great interview! And I also believe Craig Ferguson is scripting Last Man Out for Pierce, based on crime thriller book about a hitman written by Stuart Neville and titled Ghosts of Belfast.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Craig is a legend. People worship Carson and Letterman, but he's always been my absolute favorite. He took the overly-rehearsed, artificial and slavishly promotional nature of American talk shows an, through an unsophisticated and messy approach, made absolute magic. On Craig's show he'd make his sponsors the butt of his jokes (sometimes causing the sponsors to then drop CBS), he'd rip his question cards to pieces and giving them a toss, altogether embracing the crazy, off-the-cuff and unpredictable nature of how he wanted to operate as host. I miss him on the late night scene terribly.
    That was a great interview! And I also believe Craig Ferguson is scripting Last Man Out for Pierce, based on crime thriller book about a hitman written by Stuart Neville and titled Ghosts of Belfast.

Wow, @ClarkDevlin, where'd you read this? I want some November Man sequels badly, but this kind of idea sounds amazing, especially with an Irish setting. I love it when Pierce returns to spy roles that are darker and more earnest than what he got to do in Bond. He shows great range in these parts.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Man, that needs to happen.
    Broz tends to look uncomfortable in these Craig Ferguson interviews.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Craig is a legend. People worship Carson and Letterman, but he's always been my absolute favorite. He took the overly-rehearsed, artificial and slavishly promotional nature of American talk shows an, through an unsophisticated and messy approach, made absolute magic. On Craig's show he'd make his sponsors the butt of his jokes (sometimes causing the sponsors to then drop CBS), he'd rip his question cards to pieces and giving them a toss, altogether embracing the crazy, off-the-cuff and unpredictable nature of how he wanted to operate as host. I miss him on the late night scene terribly.
    Very well said, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Craig is a genius. I used to watch his show every single night. He has a natural talent of having honest and funny conversations with anyone, even people he can't stand. He never did a pre-interview, like all other talk show hosts do. He and his guests never knew where the discussion would go, and that's what made him unique. He and his show are indeed greatly missed from TV.
    Is that project still alive? It was announced almost four years ago and production was supposed to start in late 2013 (source). I really hope it is alive, but unfortunately I doubt it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    gt007 wrote: »
    Very well said, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Craig is a genius. I used to watch his show every single night. He has a natural talent of having honest and funny conversations with anyone, even people he can't stand. He never did a pre-interview, like all other talk show hosts do. He and his guests never knew where the discussion would go, and that's what made him unique. He and his show are indeed greatly missed from TV.

@gt007, late night is nothing without Sid the bunny, the snake cup and mouth organ, awkward pauses and homosexual robots. For those that never watched Craig, none of this will make sense, but for those that worshipped his show, my words carry meaning. There is a void that will never be filled and he's the one that left it.
  • gt007gt007 Station G

@gt007, late night is nothing without Sid the bunny, the snake cup and mouth organ, awkward pauses and homosexual robots. For those that never watched Craig, none of this will make sense, but for those that worshipped his show, my words carry meaning. There is a void that will never be filled and he's the one that left it.
    Absolutely agreed, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Late night TV is way too flashy and fancy now. I really miss that almost underground feeling Craig's TLLS had, the "CBS don't know we're on the air" feeling. The brilliant absurdity of having a gay robot skeleton on one corner of the set and a dancing fake horse on the other. The cat that, to put it nicely, passed gas while wondering "What did we learn on the show tonight, Craig?". The huge amusement Craig, and inevitably the audience and viewers, felt when he scrapped the whole monologue because something made him laugh so hard he couldn't let it go. All that and so much more are so greatly missed from TV. He's an absolute legend. We could - and probably should - have a whole thread for talking about Craig and remembering some of his great moments.

Absolutely agreed, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Late night TV is way too flashy and fancy now. I really miss that almost underground feeling Craig's TLLS had, the "CBS don't know we're on the air" feeling. The brilliant absurdity of having a gay robot skeleton on one corner of the set and a dancing fake horse on the other. The cat that, to put it nicely, passed gas while wondering "What did we learn on the show tonight, Craig?". The huge amusement Craig, and inevitably the audience and viewers, felt when he scrapped the whole monologue because something made him laugh so hard he couldn't let it go. All that and so much more are so greatly missed from TV. He's an absolute legend. We could - and probably should - have a whole thread for talking about Craig and remembering some of his great moments.

Absolutely! I'd praise Craig from nation to nation, like a more sensible missionary. Watching most late night now, it's impossible to get through the majority of the running shows without cringing at the bad attempts at comedy or the downright artificial plugging the hosts do of the movies they're guests are in-movies you can tell they haven't even seen, or if they have seen them, they didn't actually like. Craig just went with the flow and the conversation went where it went, whether it dealt with the product being promoted or not. He's so quick witted he could make conversations go anywhere, and always kept it entertaining and fascinating to take in.

For example, one night he had actress Alice Eve on, probably promoting Star Trek, and somewhere along discussing the film Craig brought up the concept of Calvinism to her, causing the pair of them to then spend the next block of air time debating whether or not humans have true will or if all we do is pre-determined by a supreme being. You won't see that on Letterman!

Craig's emphasis on making the show look like a garage shot production was one of his biggest assets. By showing the warts and openly exposing and having fun with all the awkward or silly moments that come up in late night broadcasts, he became a very meta, fresh and endearingly self-deprecating master of ceremony. For as funny as he is, however, I loved it most when he shut down a portion of the show to talk about something important that'd happened to him or the world, like his battle with alcoholism or the deaths of his mother and father.

We should start this thread you suggest...
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I swear, Pierce can still be Bond.
    http://www.gettyimages.ca/license/638743734
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Lord know thats hair dye :))
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2017 Posts: 8,006
    Lord know thats hair dye :))

...and Daniel has had some type of hair color done for every appearance as Bond. It's not uncommon.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It could work.
    HlvzogYl.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Murdock wrote: »
    It could work.
    HlvzogYl.jpg

And Judi Dench could return as M. The M in the Brosnan timeline is not the same M who died in the Craig incarnation. :)

talos7 wrote: »
    It could work.
    HlvzogYl.jpg

And Judi Dench could return as M. The M in the Brosnan timeline is not the same M who died in the Craig incarnation. :)
    AKA Barbara Mawsdley.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    From Hugh Jackman's Twitter:

C2XYBAkWEAQXuM1.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen a photo of Pierce in which he isn't looking utterly delighted with himself and the world around him. It's very sweet.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I found this. :))
    Screen-Shot-2013-03-19-at-11.41.02-PM.png
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Still pleased with himself :)
    I found this. :))
    Screen-Shot-2013-03-19-at-11.41.02-PM.png

Pain Face™ 2.0
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That must be his Schwarzenegger impersonation.
    This would make for a great CapCon round in the future.
    Saw Love is All you Need again the other day. I liked this scene and thought Pierce was good in it:
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    This would make for a great CapCon round in the future.

Brosnan almost always makes for a great CapCon round with the right image.

Here's another brilliant, disturbing piece of acting from Pierce in TNM:

@jake24, that scene in The November Man is legendary, Pierce's best in the movie. I also love the scene where he
    tells Olga's character that death has to be peaceful because the ground a bullet covers once it exits a gun (3X faster than speed of light) will kill you before you ever know what's happening. I like that moment, because I think Devereaux has spent his entire career doing what he does and killing those he has to, getting through it by telling himself that once he pulls the trigger, his targets feel no pain. That's all the solace he is afforded.
    I still havent seen November Man...i keep waiting for it to come on SKY but it hasnt so far,which is weird...i might just buy the bloody thing on DVD and have done with it !!!
    Rumours are that Brosnan might be cast as Cable in Deadpool 2.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I won't lie, that'd be a surefire way to get me to spend money on a superhero/comic book movie in theaters.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I won't lie, that'd be a surefire way to get me to spend money on a superhero/comic book movie in theaters.
    Here's the source of that article. It might even featuring Jackman as Wolverine. Here's the article:
    http://shr.gs/sSYtZek