The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Guys this is an appreciation thread, please don't knock Brosnan's Zoolander-like knowledge of Fleming.

zoolander-2-teaser-trailer.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    3cd8a33a.png
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Shocking! Is he saying that he didn't make that ad? Surely he knew what he was advertising?
    Alzheimer's.

@Thunderfinger? Your analysis is very much needed, sir.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Would you folks mind bringing me up to speed? I'm a bit clueless as to what happened with this whole thing.
    me too !
    He starred in an advert, then those against the idea of what being advertized whined about it and in order to save face, Brosnan apologized and demands his face to be removed from the entire ad. "I don't like him! I don't even know the guy!" Yeah, that kind of thing...

Submit to those who are offended by something. That'll get you somewhere.
    I see what you mean, @ClarkDevlin, it pisses me off when people submit to those they offended, but Pierce doesn't come across as a man who kisses ass (and 2016 has been full of that). Judging by his words, it seems genuine that he was indeed manipulated by a corporation desperate to use a celebrity ambassador to distract from its controversies. With the deaths of both his first wife and his daughter, both from cancer, it seems incredibly unlikely that he would openly sign on to advertise for a product that is known for its disturbing health effects. It's a filthy business after all.
    Personally, I don't know much about what was being advertised at all, but something is terribly fishy. Wouldn't anyone investigate what someone has been offering a celebrity to pose for all along? I mean, that's why people turn down offers. I'm guessing the money was good, and he said "what the hell, let's do it." Then backlash happens, and he brings out some excuses... That's how I see it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The issue, as I understand it, is with paan, which is carcinogenic.

This is the wikipedia entry on it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paan

He knew what he was doing, but I believe they're making a big deal out of it in India for political purposes. He's been caught up in the crossfire and so his publicist probably told him it's a no win situation and he should denounce it.
    That's exactly what happened as I predict.
    It's a fishy situation, no doubt.
    The advert is a crock of crap anyway,he was asking for trouble doing that...what is the product anyway,it was so quick i couldnt make it out ..
    I just watched it because it was Pierce Brosnan in a tuxedo. I don't give a toss about what was being advertised. :))
    I just watched it because it was Pierce Brosnan in a tuxedo. I don't give a toss about what was being advertised. :))
    The tux and the beard are a perfect match for the man.
    jake24 wrote: »
    The tux and the beard are a perfect match for the man.
    Indeed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He looks good in the ad, and I genuinely believe he didn t know exactly what the product was.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    It took me 30 seconds to search paan in wikipedia and know about it... :-??
    ggl007 wrote: »
    It took me 30 seconds to search paan in wikipedia and know about it... :-??
    Well arnt you the site's guru....a dig at me i take it ?

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    You people don't get it.

Pierce Brosnan is a gentleman and only comes a close second behind Moore in that regard.

Pierce did this as a favour for Daniel Craig.

To finally take off the focus on Craig's "wrist-slash"-gate which has plagued poor Daniel since a year.

We should thank the man !
    Thanks BJB...i was going to kick off..
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    looks awesome.
    One question, is Brosnan the Main character in that story? or more of a big supporting role? nowadays it rarely happens that a guy of Brosnans age is playing the main character in a TV Series, so that would be pretty cool.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Based on the promotional materials he's the Main character. I haven't seen any of the trailers for it though.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,661
    ClarkDevlin wrote:
    Personally, I don't know much about what was being advertised at all, but something is terribly fishy. Wouldn't anyone investigate what someone has been offering a celebrity to pose for all along? I mean, that's why people turn down offers. I'm guessing the money was good, and he said "what the hell, let's do it." Then backlash happens, and he brings out some excuses... That's how I see it.

I think he did the advert without any research and there was a backlash so he had to say "i wouldn't have done it if I had known blah blah blah." I've never been a fan of all Brosnan's adverts - he's milked his James Bond persona to the max - but fair enough it helps pay the bills but I don't think they enhance his reputation as an actor.

The company claim it is a breath freshner:
    Spokesman Dinesh Jain said: "The advertisement was made as per the contract between Pierce Brosnan and the company, following all the formalities. Everything was done as per the contract. The product is 0% tobacco. "It is a mouth freshener and there is no trace of any tobacco in the product. Hence the advertisement was made as per the law."

http://news.sky.com/story/pierce-brosnan-cancer-row-advert-pan-bahar-firm-hits-back-10627309

Wikipedia:
    Guṭkha is a preparation of crushed areca nut, tobacco, catechu, paraffin wax, slaked lime and sweet or savory flavorings. It is considered responsible for oral cancer and other severe negative health effects. Often tobacco companies advertise gutka as pan masala in order to skirt the ban on advertising tobacco products. Surrogate advertisements often use pan masala ads to promote gutka products with similar name and packaging.
    Just in,re the Indian situation :

Pierce Brosnan is “deeply shocked and saddened” about the events following his controversial participation in the endorsement of Pan Bahar breath freshener, which may include ingredients that cause cancer.

Brosnan explained that he has the “greatest love and affection for India and its people,” in an exclusive statement to PEOPLE.

“As a man who has spent decades championing women’s healthcare and environmental protection, I was distressed to learn of Pan Bahar’s unauthorized and deceptive use of my image to endorse their range of pan masala products,” the statement read. “I would never have entered into an agreement to promote a product in India that is dangerous to one’s health.”

Pan Bahar, known as pan masala in Hindi, is made from a mixture of nuts, seeds, herbs and spices. It’s been associated with bad health and is also blamed for the red-colored spit stains visible in public areas in India.

Brosnan’s contract details that he was to advertise a “breath freshener/tooth whitener,” which wouldn’t include an ingredient that turns saliva red.

Brosnan said he agreed to advertise a single product only, and that it was presented as “all-natural containing neither tobacco, supari, nor any other harmful ingredient.”

“Having endured, in my own personal life, the loss of my first wife and daughter as well as numerous friends to cancer, I am fully committed to supporting women’s healthcare and research programs that improve human health and alleviate suffering,” the statement continued.

The James Bond actor said he demanded that the company remove his image from all their products, and assured that he had no knowledge that he was endorsing items that would have a negative or painful reaction in India.

He added that Pan Bahar “grossly manipulated” media outlets to falsely present him as a brand ambassador for their entire line of products, something he writes is “in violation of my contract.”

“I shall endeavor to rectify this matter,” the statement concluded. “In the meantime, please accept my sincerest and heartfelt apologies to all whom I have offended.”
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Poor chap, what else can he do?
    I know...he has been through enough,as i have ,with cancer,and he was clearly misled....leave him alone for FFS....
    I know I was a little harsh on the man a few posts earlier. But, that has happened, and the ship has sailed. Can't the media just leave him alone?

But, nobody cares, as long as they have a story to write and live on other people's accounts. Sometimes you just can't help but hate the showbiz.
    I know I was a little harsh on the man a few posts earlier. But, that has happened, and the ship has sailed. Can't the media just leave him alone?

But, nobody cares, as long as they have a story to write and live on other people's accounts. Sometimes you just can't help but hate the showbiz.
    You and me both.