No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

HASEROT wrote: »
    There will be no Bond film before 2020.
    EoN seems uninterested in doing anything than being lazy.
    Why not finding a new distributor BEFORE the rights expired??
    Now they wait for what??
    And once a new deal has been struck in 2018 they will realise Craig is not available anymore and then start casting a new one, or just wait another year.

like @Murdock said.. in this case, EON is at the mercy of MGM... EON may be at the table, and part of the discussion, but this particular decision is MGM's to make (similar in the way that MGM and whoever are part of the casting discussions, but the ultimate decision lies with EON - this is just the opposite)..

and in a situation like this, there is a lot of red tape and legalease to go through - and thats not counting the financial aspect of things..... personally though i am shocked no decision has been made yet, but that doesn't mean discussions aren't taking place - because in situations like this, there'll be periods of no news, as if nothing is taking place.. but suddenly something breaks, and the dominos quickly begin to fall - i point to the MGM financial crisis as a prime example of a similar situation.. no news on a buyer for a long time, then all of sudden it was like the flood gates opened.

The vibe I'm getting from MGM is that they're in no hurry. I think they might be waiting until it's viable for themselves to do the distribution - which would explain why nothings happened. I really don't think now that we'll get Bond 25 before 2020, there's such a hiatus feel about things.
    Harry Saltzman really did screw the Broccolis up, didn't he?
    How did he do screw the Broccolis up? First, there weren´t that many Broccolis at that time, second, Harry Saltzman seemed to have had a very clear vision how and what a Bond film should be. Without him it´s doubtful we would have gotten the Bond film legacy we know and love.
    Its confirmed, there will ne no life stream. So I assume there will ne no major announcement. Orherwise they would milk this cow differently. 2 People O know, will be there , so I hope to get a bit more of info, then the press might give us
    boldfinger wrote: »
    How did he do screw the Broccolis up? First, there weren´t that many Broccolis at that time, second, Harry Saltzman seemed to have had a very clear vision how and what a Bond film should be. Without him it´s doubtful we would have gotten the Bond film legacy we know and love.

He sold his rights to UA, therefore the Bond rights are not completely owned by EON/Danjaq - I think that's where the suggestion of Harry screwing Cubby comes from.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

He sold his rights to UA, therefore the Bond rights are not completely owned by EON/Danjaq - I think that's where the suggestion of Harry screwing Cubby comes from.
    Ok, in that regard it could be true. I understand Saltzman somehow was prone to losing money and therefore had to sell. Not sure about the details.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't think you got my point in the slightest, sir, hence drifting to a whole another route of a story. I was making a large amount of reference to his refusal to sell his share of the Bond film rights to Cubby and went for MGM instead. Selling half the rights to MGM was the major mistake he had made. I wasn't talking about his contribution prior to the incident in the films.

By the way, the Broccolis... Yes, obviously there wasn't. You looked too much into the context.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,325
    I don't think you got my point in the slightest, sir, hence drifting to a whole another route of a story. I was making a large amount of reference to his refusal to sell his share of the Bond film rights to Cubby and went for MGM instead. Selling half the rights to MGM was the major mistake he had made. I wasn't talking about his contribution prior to the incident in the films.

By the way, the Broccolis... Yes, obviously there wasn't. You looked too much into the context.

You're right, except Saltzman didn't sell his rights to MGM, he sold them to United Artists. MGM acquired them when they acquired UA.

You're right, except Saltzman didn't sell his rights to MGM, he sold them to United Artists. MGM acquired them when they acquired UA.
    Yes, my mistake. But, nevertheless, he did it.

When was it MGM acquired UA? '81 or '83?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

It is stated by Babs in Everything or Nothing that he refused to sell to Cubby which I think was a bit out of order.

It is stated by Babs in Everything or Nothing that he refused to sell to Cubby which I think was a bit out of order.
    Indeed. And agreed.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

A bit out of order? It was a colossal piss take. Harry clearly had a lot of resentment towards Cubby and it was mainly down to his own failures as a business and decided to fracture his friendship with Cubby and consume himself with illogical pride that would for the long-term keep the Bond movies somewhat handicapped.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116

Yup ....and us.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited October 2016 Posts: 732
    Exactly what I thought (because he sold his rights to UA instead of Cubby). Would've saved the franchise a lot of trouble if he would have sold to Cubby ...

Murdock wrote: »
    Now they wait for what??

And once a new deal has been struck in 2018 they will realise Craig is not available anymore and then start casting a new one, or just wait another year.
    MGM.

Warner Bros are apparently VERY keen to get Bond.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I know I've said or asked before but MGM always seems to be tinkering on extinction... wish another studio like Warner could or would just buy them.

The scarey part is MGM owns half of Bond not just distribution or video or whatever but half the franchise. That includes all the trappings I assume like the 007 logo and *gulp* the Bond theme etc.

If and when MGM goes belly up ...they've been struggling for as long as I can remember what happens to Bond? Bond has already been delayed at least twice due to MGM. After LTK was one time and again now I assume.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Exactly what I thought (because he sold his rights to UA instead of Cubby). Would've saved the franchise a lot of trouble if he would have sold to Cubby ...
    Agreed. No company or firm should ever claim ownership over the Bond film rights. It always should be a family business. I don't want any Activist Activisterson to come and "submit some changes" into it to "adjust the portrait to the new society", which is what we're seeing a lot of it in the company-owned distributed film/TV Series franchises.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Agreed. No company or firm should ever claim ownership over the Bond film rights. It always should be a family business. I don't want any Activist Activisterson to come and "submit some changes" into it to "adjust the portrait to the new society", which is what we're seeing a lot of it in the company-owned distributed film/TV Series franchises.

So we're looking for someone who wants to invest in one of the most successful film franchises of all time, with multi millions of dollars, and want no input in their investment?
    The thing is Dan is very much like Tim was with his attitude,he wont hang around and don't think he will want the hassle when he is 4 years older in 2020.
    This is probably the nail in the coffin as regards to DC playing Bond again,he will probably accept the end of SP as closure to his time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Yes, my mistake. But, nevertheless, he did it.

When was it MGM acquired UA? '81 or '83?

Some time between FYEO and OP.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Now they wait for what??

MGM.

Warner Bros are apparently VERY keen to get Bond.

which since Ritchie is on WB's payroll it could work well together

and befroe everyone complains about Richie I just want bond 25 Richie is not even on my top 10 but he is far from the bottom of the list.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If the film gets made by 2018 I'll gladly take Ritchie.
    It's not like we have a say in the matter.
    If the film gets made by 2018 I'll gladly take Ritchie.

Hear hear,and Warner Bros are lot safer pair of hands than MGM !

I would want Warner Bros to takeover the Bond franchise for a few spins.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2016 Posts: 2,138
    Found it quite interesting if you dig a little deeper in too the Othello production Dan is about do, one of the producers behind the production is Babsy baby.
  • 00Ralf00Ralf Germany
    edited October 2016 Posts: 149
    Just finished watching Guy Ritchie's "Snatch" (2000) after seeing "Man From U.N.C.L.E." (2015) and I gotta say his style of directing reminds me of the otherworldly shitty slow-mo pan effects Tamahori gave us in DAD.

Choosing Ritchie for Bond would not only be a step backwards. It'd be a jump down a chasm full of exctrement. And that's putting it mildly.
    Yes indeed. Babs does co-produce Othello and I remember it being advertised on the official 007 website.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    That's all she seems interested in doing these days. Producing other stuff.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Yes indeed. Babs does co-produce Othello and I remember it being advertised on the official 007 website.

She can't get enough of Danny boy, you can bet all the time on that production she will be grinding him down until he cant say no.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 159
    Sorry to break it for you, but could someone tell briefly about the latest news (if there are any) we have for the next Bond, or any interesting info? I've been away too long and it seems so painful to search now, thanks.