No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I like the Sherlock on tv, but didn't like either Sherlock Holmes film personally. Downey's accent is just one of the things I find annoying about them.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    And what hits did John Glenn or Martin Campbell have outside of Bond. It doesn't matter what they can do outside of bond but what they do inside of bond... Ok that sounds weird but you know what I mean.
    This is a fair and valid point.

Glen edited OHMSS and TSWLM. Campbell directed, amongst other things, 'Edge of Darkness' something infinitely more complex and intriguing than anything in Ritchie's ouvre. It boils down to the fact Ritchie is a faux-auteur, where Glen and Campbell only care about the film, not themselves.

A very good description of Ritchie's style. He does often come across as a big time Charlie playing at being a film director.

The situation now is not what it was when Glen and Campbell took over. Now Bond is a billion dollar (aspirant) tentpole franchise. Are you really going to trust Guy with delivering that? You're only as good as your last film and UNCLE was a flop.

Glen worked at a time when Cubby controlled everything and there was nowhere near the freedom given to the director that EON gave Mendes (although after SP it's doubtful the next guy will get that) or expectation that there is now. Campbell came in when the series was at a low ebb so there was no way they could attract a big name and as @RC7 states Edge of Darkness had far more substance than anything Guy has done.

Bond is massive these days and until loads of big names have turned it down we shouldn't even be entertaining the thought of Guy.

Apart from anything else the bloke who made Swept Away should be banned from ever working again.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,116
    An opinion is an opinion ...a personal thing. It's yours whether you feel the need to defend it or not.

Only time one really needs to defend their opinion is if they are trying to convenience someone else to share that same opinion.

Everyone has the right I suppose to have opinions.

That's just my opinion.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    An opinion is an opinion ...a personal thing. It's yours whether you feel the need to defend it or not.

Only time one really needs to defend their opinion is if they are trying to convenience someone else to share that same opinion.

That's just my opinion.
    That's a limited thought in here for some. Some people do feel the need to express themselves rather aggressively with insulting words whether it's justified or not. You know... Kind of like a dictatorship. ;)
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    You know, chaps? Something had just occurred to me. I mean, we're not getting any Bond 25 news whatsoever but...

What if, right now, they are actually planning a whole outline for the future of the franchise rather than just the next film? A few set of films that are planned, outlined and constructed to have Bond films and set up a timeline consecutively. Just an idea that occurred.

Silly, we all know EON never thinks past the next film they make.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd prefer Vaughn actually. Kingsman proved he can do it.

After Kick Ass I would've said yes and I was dying for him to do SP but if Kingsman is what we would've got with a Vaughn Bond then I think we dodged a bullet. Such a disappointment.

If came down to him or Ritchie I'd go Vaughn but I think we can do better.

Q88rJ.gif
    You know, chaps? Something had just occurred to me. I mean, we're not getting any Bond 25 news whatsoever but...

What if, right now, they are actually planning a whole outline for the future of the franchise rather than just the next film? A few set of films that are planned, outlined and constructed to have Bond films and set up a timeline consecutively. Just an idea that occurred.

I believe you said that a couple of posts ago.
  • RC7RC7

I'm assuming you mean 'convince'?

I always think it's good to challenge 'opinion', because most are half-baked and some are just brain farts.

That's just my opinion.
    That's a limited thought in here for some. Some people do feel the need to express themselves rather aggressively with insulting words whether it's justified or not. You know... Kind of like a dictatorship. ;)

Yes ....unfortunately
    RC7 wrote: »

I'm assuming you mean 'convince'?

I always think it's good to challenge 'opinion', because most are half-baked and some are just brain farts.

Double post ...but yes. Autofill
    Mendes, Nolan, Wright, Campbell or an unknown will helm the next one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mendes has already said he won't return and has a few projects currently lined up. It won't be him.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Mendes has certainly done his time. All his creative Bond juice has been used up, and it's time for some new creative blood at the helm.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I thought people never wanted to see continuity in Bond from this point on? Doesn't make much sense to then support forward planning for the series on EON's part.

people are a fickle breed Brady..

personally, i don't care what they do - i've had enough films of both that if they want to create a storyline - or rather, series of linked events that play out over the course of 4-5 films, then i am game, as long as they do it right, and don't piss it down their leg by film 4...

but i think that when the time comes for Craig to move on, and we get a new Bond - i believe 1 or 2 stand alone Bond films are the way to go - then if they want to do 2 or 3 connected stories to round out that Bond's run, then so be it..... but i just want them to continue the loose continuity between actors - the same as they did from Sean thru Pierce... Craig's Bond shouldn't be the only special one that gets to play in it's own box, untouched from the others - it's already enough that his was the start of a new Bond timeline - no need to give it further preferential treatment... i mean christ, even the one film that many for years considered the bastard child of the series (OHMSS) was still referenced in 5 other films.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'd be happy if we could get back to the two year cycle of Bond films being released. Stop trying to woe named or popular actors to the series, unless they're actually interested in the role. Enough of the Halle Berry, Denise Richards types. (That sounds a little feminist I realise) I don't want actors who are there only for the money and to ham it up with a 'look I'm in a Bond film' type performance.
    Go back to casting relative unknowns in the films, seek good directors and crew who know what a Bond film should look like. Not someone trying to put their stamp on the series. Bond doesn't need to copy or a new direction. It's Bond.
    I fail to see how originally we got four films in four films in four years, then basically a new film every two years from 1967 - 1989. Even the Brosnan era managed it for three of the four. Then all of a sudden, the films come out three and four years apart. Why?
    Bring back Bond!

I'm starting to think you're mimicking the man with the red fez on his head from the Austin Powers movies.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Aston Martin unveils new touchscreen-controlled speedboat. Tell me this wouldn't be awesome if it were featured in B25.

38E2865800000578-0-image-a-19_1475078545904.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3812057/A-speedboat-suitable-James-Bond-Aston-Martin-reveals-stunning-voice-controlled-convertible-speedboat.html

There'll be a newer model out before Bond 25 even gets into production.
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    Aston Martin unveils new touchscreen-controlled speedboat. Tell me this wouldn't be awesome if it were featured in B25.

38E2865800000578-0-image-a-19_1475078545904.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3812057/A-speedboat-suitable-James-Bond-Aston-Martin-reveals-stunning-voice-controlled-convertible-speedboat.html

There'll be a newer model out before Bond 25 even gets into production.

and... it's just the boatversion of the TND-car.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I like the idea of Mendes not returning for Bond 25 myself. Newman, especially.

Me too.

Perhaps we should kill both Mendes and Newman, and throw their corpses overboard? :|

Nah ...too drastic. Mendes impressed me with with SF and Newman impressed me with SP so I prefer to simply drag them behind the boat then send them home with hot cocoa and a t-shirt.

Now Logan ...hmmm? :-?

Jesus.

I wouldn't say Newman impressed me but IMO the SP score was superior to his SF effort.

I'm still convinced that he won the Oscar for SF because people associated the score with Adele's song.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote: »

Me too.

Perhaps we should kill both Mendes and Newman, and throw their corpses overboard? :|

Nah ...too drastic. Mendes impressed me with with SF and Newman impressed me with SP so I prefer to simply drag them behind the boat then send them home with hot cocoa and a t-shirt.

Jesus.

I wouldn't say Newman impressed me but IMO the SP score was superior to his SF effort.

I'm still convinced that he won the Oscar for SF because people associated the score with Adele's song.

Wait, wait-hold up. There's a difference? ;)
  • Getafix wrote: »

Me too.

Jesus.

He didn't win the Oscar.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @benny I totally agree with you about getting back to 2 year cycles. The question is - which 'talented' director would be willing to make 2 or 3 consecutive Bond films on a 2 years basis? Denis Villeneuve, perhaps? He's got 3 films in 3 years (Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2), so he seems like a hard worker. Would he be willing to work on a 5/6 months shoot every 2 years, while making a more personal project in the off year? I would jump of joy if he would agree to this, as I understand he is a big Bond fan.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Why not go back to the days of hiring directors in house? At least that way, the director would know the inner workings of a Bond film.
  • Let EON do the thinking :-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Let EON do the thinking :-)

You're in danger of sounding hypocritical there, Gustav.

Plus, that line of thinking doesn't really hold up on a forum meant for dissection and analysis.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Why not go back to the days of hiring directors in house? At least that way, the director would know the inner workings of a Bond film.

Great idea. Who do you think would be better? P or W?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Great idea. Who do you think would be better? P or W?

Are you telling me that they're individuals?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @MajorDSmythe or we just drop all the 'heavy' baggage and hire directors who know how to create thrilling action/adventures. Problem is, EON mainly hires UK directors, and I can't think of many brits who have made proper action films in recent years. Yes there is Ritchie and Vaughn, but their films are way too OTT now for Bond (even by Brosnan standards). The one director (non-Brit) I'd like to give Bond a go is Jaume Collet-Serra, responsible for 'Unknown', 'Non Stop' and 'Run All Night', all with Liam Neeson.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 13,894
    @MajorDSmythe or we just drop all the 'heavy' baggage and hire directors who know how to create thrilling action/adventures. Problem is, EON mainly hires UK directors, and I can't think of many brits who have made proper action films in recent years. Yes there is Ritchie and Vaughn, but their films are way too OTT now for Bond (even by Brosnan standards). The one director (non-Brit) I'd like to give Bond a go is Jaume Collet-Serra, responsible for 'Unknown', 'Non Stop' and 'Run All Night', all with Liam Neeson.

I would hope that would come from hiring a director that has already worked on the series in some capacity (like Peter Hunt and John Glen). On saying that, I do like your suggestion of Jaume Collet-Serra, and those three films put forward a strong case for him possibly directing a Bond film. Suddenly, i'm in the mood for a Liam Neeson action film-athon.
    I dont know whether it was planned but it made perfect sense for directors to gain experience on Bond, working as editors/second unit or anthing just to get a feel for the whole thing. Hunt was in a perfect position to take over as director with hs own ideas and visual style but with so much experience of how the Bond machinery worked. Compare that with the more recent Directors who come in "cold",
    The idea of hiring in-house is an interesting one, as someone who has experience in the Bond "family" previous to their directorial debut would know the playbook and how the films are made at each level, as well as what their limits are as a creative entity.

I am on the whole positive about Mendes' involvement in the series, but his auteur control is visible in both his productions and it's inarguable than an in-house director would never have been as reckless spending-wise as he was allowed to get in SP. With in-house talent I don't think you'd see as many folks going so far over the line like that or have instances where they refuse to move on a creative decision as you would with a more auteur-like Mendes.

On another subject, I whole-heartedly agree that EON choosing to focus primarily on British directors shuts them off to a lot of great global directing talent. There must be some worry on their part that without a Brit director at the helm, the films will lose a sense of Britishness about them, which I don't agree with. While it is important to make Bond feel British, as its national values are what he fights for, I think it's just as valuable to make him feel like a man of the world.

In fact, choosing a director foreign of Britain-French, Italian, Australian, Irish, American, etc.-then allowing that director to stage a considerable part of their Bond film in their native home would allow them to provide their own genuine cultural voice to the franchise, and really display for audiences the cultural mosaic of that particular part of the globe. Location shooting would be a priority once again, and the lack of culture we see on the screen these days would return through these directors, because they would be shooting their film in an area that shaped them and that they know like the back of their hand.

With Mendes as director we got two proudly British Bond films from a man with a culturally British voice. In the future, EON should expand that opportunity to other directing talents and allow them to showcase their own native homes. Get Alfonso Cuarón to do a Bond film with Mexico as a crucial part of the plot, or Denis Villeneuve with Canada, Steven Soderbergh with sections of America (Bond returns to Vegas?), Peter Jackson with New Zealand, and more. The list is endless.