No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    giphy.gif
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Idris added that it will be people power that secures him the coveted part if it does happen.

'If it were to happen, it would be the will of a nation, because there's not been talks of me in the studios about any of that. But everywhere I go, people want that to happen,' he added.

Idris, have you met Kanye?
  • I mean he's not wrong is he. Will of a nation is pretty hyperbolic but he is a popular choice amongst the public. He wouldn't have to address it if he wasn't
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I just really hope Bond 25 is special, and I think Craig has to leave to make that happen. Not that I have anything against Craig as an actor, but the films are geared towards his interpretation, so I don't think any great change can occur until he leaves the role. 2019 might seem like a wait, but it may give EON the time to go back to the drawing board and in the words of Miss T. Case "come up with something original".
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ed83 wrote: »
    I think people are just concerned we will get more things like the whole step brother garbage in the future. If a bit of planning prevents things like that, I'm all on board. For some of us our trust and faith in EON's judgment has taken a slight tumble.

That's just illogical, though. Just because you plan to do something a decade down the line doesn't mean that won't change. In all likelihood, it will. This whole discussion is a bit of a non sequitur - SF was a hugely successful standalone movie, both critically and financially. The 'misstep' that is at the heart of this argument was born out of the giddiness to include the SP organisation at the earliest opportunity and the decision to retcon. Had those two things been handled differently, or even abandoned completely, we would likely not be having this conversation. The issue people have is not with forward planning (they've just convinced themselves of this because of Disney/Marvel), the issue is with general decision making at the pre-production stage.

You're perfectly correct there is absolutely no need for planning Bond films in advance.

Just as long as you don't suddenly decide that the film you are making is retrospectively linked to the previous three. Because if you haven't planned it all out it ends up being one hell of a shambles.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I have been reading here for quite a while but it's my first posting.

Like all of us here I am very curious what Daniel Craig will (most likely) tell about his Bond future in this upcoming interview. In terms of timing I am sure he will have made his mind up by now if he will make one more movie in 2017/2018 or not - preproduction will likely start full steam next year and they need to know where they are going.

What bugged me the most in SP is that it had really great elements (PTS, Mr.White Scenes, Q-Scenes) and just (IMHO) screwed it up so badly ... mostly in the 3rd act. Like many said within this thread or forum is that it did not require much to make SP a better film. Reason for this post is that I also read here (and elsewhere), fans of the Craig-Era (I am one of them) don't want some elements from the "old formula" defined by Connery in the 60s to come back. But I don't think that's true. As much as I liked CR (and it is #3 on my 007 Top 5) I definitely appreciated they brought back Moneypenny and especially Q and the way they did - in a modernized or "New Formula"-adjusted way that worked with Craig very well.

That is why I greatly appreciate SF (even it's quite experimental in many ways) while I am a bit unhappy with Spectre: SF just worked and I find it highly rewatchable. The elements they brought back just work - while they did not in SP. In SP on the one hand they went back to the old formula too much.

One example: When Bond adjusts his cufflinks in the PTS of SF, that is just perfect - the way we (I think all) like James Bond to be. This whole thing worked for me being something from the "old formula" but still fitting the new one. While this scene worked so wonderful, the couch-scene from SP just did not. It was too much in my opinion and felt ... not right.

Same with the half-brother thing: They tried too hard to re-play something from SF (more background story to Bond) but it was just too much. I appreciated the background information added from Fleming elements about Hannes Oberhauser - but making Blofeld his evil half-brother is just too much. Same with the example above it is just "too much of the new formula" - they tried "too hard".

I definitely want one more Craig movie to be made - but I would, like many, want to get rid of these "over the hill" elements and play them down a bit again - without losing them completely. The Q scenes for example worked well in SP as well as the little gag with the FIAT driver in Rome. I like the extended Bond/Moneypenny relationship as much as the new M: All is well in this area. But the nemesis must be refined and definitley need a script in quality of CR.

I do hope for at least one more Craig 007 Film (I am not sure how long we will be able to keep up doing them so physically demanding like he defined the role) with Fleming novel elements from OHMSS (I would definitely use Madeleine as a new Tracy), Moonraker (Gala Brand as well as the "Hideaway Basis") and less but more explored locations like they did in movies like DN, TB and other early ones. QoS had such great places they went to - but some of them are wasted somehow. I generally like QoS btw - I just purely hate the editing plus find the showdown a bit weak - but I like it (much) better than SP actually.

Very lucid first post Sir. You certainly exhibit potential.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Idris Elba reveals he wants to do a comedy film...leaving his rumoured James Bond role in question

Idris added that it will be people power that secures him the coveted part if it does happen.

'If it were to happen, it would be the will of a nation, because there's not been talks of me in the studios about any of that. But everywhere I go, people want that to happen,' he added.

Try coming on here pal.
    The problem with making a down to earth, mystery thriller suspense Bond is that cinema has given up a lot of ground to television in recent years. Film producers seem to have taken up the perspective that anything that can be made on a relatively low budget (and yet is genre fiction designed to appeal to a mass audience) doesn't justify being put on the big screen. I once heard it spoken that one of the first things they do when designing a new Bond film is think up what countries to visit and what action will take place. The idea of limiting the action and trying to conceive a plot that is gripping in it's own right (as well as including the usual sex, jokes, luxury etc) is not one which would appeal to those involved, but I think it needs to happen, and Bond 25 is a great opportunity.
    Bond 25 will probably be set in the World of Form.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Bond 25 will probably be set on Mars and will involve the Great Martian War.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    jake24 wrote: »
    Bond 25 will probably be set on Mars and will involve the Great Martian War.
    A cameo from @DisneyBond007 as a Marvin The Martain rip-off character.
    That s my favourite Martian.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    October 7th, where are you?
    What is a realistic expectation of what will happen on October 7th?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We're putting so much faith in October 7th-or even James Bond day on the 5th-that I fear we're destined for serious disappointment.

I actually won't be surprised if the 5th passes and we hear nothing at all. I've never wanted to be more wrong, though.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 1,296
    I think they should recreate Dr No with C-G-I , directed by Jon Favreau, with Scarlett Johansson as the voice of Honey and Bill Murray as Bond. Perhaps Matt Damon as Dr No?

That Dan is asked in the interview what his feelings about Bond are after a year's break, after which he will hopefully hint at or outright state if he still has an interest in continuing.
    I think if both dates pass without event, we can finally put an end to 2018 release date theories.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

That Dan makes it quite clear from the start that discussing Bond is strictly off limits and they continue on with an elephant in a tux stampeding around the room.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 10,588

That Dan makes it quite clear from the start that discussing Bond is strictly off limits and they continue on with an elephant in a tux stampeding around the room.
    Then it would be a rather questionable decision calling it "Beyond Bond."
    I think if both dates pass without event, we can finally put an end to 2018 release date theories.

That's far too premature, I'd say. They could start filming the movie as late as November or December 2017, or early 2018 and still make it for November 2018, which still gives them a lot of time. It would be a crunch at times, but it's nothing they haven't faced before.
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    I think they should recreate Dr No with C-G-I , directed by Jon Favreau, with Scarlett Johansson as the voice of Honey and Bill Murray as Bond. Perhaps Matt Damon as Dr No?

Please open a window. You need some oxygen to your brain.
  • 'Beyond' as in Craig's stuff other than Bond

Taking the title literally would imply he's leaving though.
    'Beyond' as in Craig's stuff other than Bond

I think what some are quite rightly getting at though, is that Dan should be expecting to be asked about Bond, as the event has the character's name in the very title of it. If nothing is addressed regarding the series and its future, it's a bit of a teasing hand to play.
    'Beyond' as in Craig's stuff other than Bond

That was the idea, I think.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 45,489
    If they named the event Beyond Cowboys and Dragon Tattoos, no one would show up. Except maybe German Lady.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    If they named the event Beyond Cowboys and Dragon Tattoos, no one would show up. Except maybe German Lady.

Ha ha nice one.
    Here's a hint friends: the event isn't called I'm Playing Bond Again
    DCisared wrote: »

Ha ha nice one.

Come on, I won't be alone. ;;)
    Brady will also be there. And Craig.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    At this point I don't even care when Bond 25 comes out, I just want to know if Craig is in or out.
    Ask Rachel.