Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Absolutely! :D
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The worst glitch I've had while playing AUF was in the second half of the Streets of Bucharest level. When you're attacked by the two helicopters (just before the part with the night vision goggles) the game would completely freeze. It kept happening every time I tried to finish the level. I finally figured out that if I disabled the in game music, it would stop freezing. I guess it was one less thing for the processor to worry about.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've never had any glitch problems with AUF though on time I got really lucky in the final level and was able to jump in one of the windows of the bridge that lead to Malprave's lair without going through the trouble of going to those sniper towers, saved me some time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'd love to see an HD collection of Bond games; why that hasn't happened yet I'll never know.

I became aware of these Bond games too late in their lifecycles, and have missed out on the vast majority of them as a result, EoN and FRWL included.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think it boils down to licensing.
    I became aware of these Bond games too late in their lifecycles, and have missed out on the vast majority of them as a result, EoN and FRWL included.

I was even more behind than you. When I was a kid, I wasn't really very interested in gaming, and I didn't have the guts to ask my parents to pay for the latest systems anyway. It wasn't until I had my own money that it really took off. The time line of my play-throughs is ridiculous;

GE N64

AUF

Late 2014
    EON
    NF

TWINE (both versions)
    007 Racing
    TND
    FRWL
    QOS PS2
    GE Wii

Bloodstone
    007 Legends (both PS3 and WiiU because I didn't have the Skyfall dlc for the PS3 version)
    QOS PS3
    NF PC
  • Currently addicted to Windows 10 Minecraft to the point where my Xbox One is collecting dust.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    this is the game i am waiting for!!

i love the fact that it's an indy game, completely crowd funded - plus the fact that it has series creator Sean Cunningham's blessing, and series alums like Tom Savini (make up / gore effects), Harry Manfredini (composer) and Kane Hodder (played Jason in parts 7,8,9, and X) all worked extensively on the game as well... it may only be a multiplayer game (for now anyway) but so much TLC went into this from the devs, that I have to have it - it's going to be a bloody fun time playing this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @haserot, I think of you every time I read or watch anything from that game. I didn't think much of it when it was announced and figured it'd be a lacking title made just to cash in, but it actually looks pretty well realized. The animations, for one, are just nuts and perfect. It's also cool that the devs seem to have included all the different outfits Jason has worn throughout the years that you can choose from in the game.

Should be a crazy fun multiplayer experience, with lots of paranoia amongst those running and hiding from Jason.

How does the multiplayer work, exactly? Is Jason computer AI and the players are the campers that have to run from him, or is a player also Jason and they have to kill the other players as the campers?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

the multiplayer is 1 v 7 (or 7 v 1, depending on how you look at it, lol).. 7 players are campers, 1 player is Jason.. the rounds are 15-20 minutes in length.. but the object for the 7 players who are the campers, is to make it out of Camp Crystal Lake alive.. the 1 player who is Jason has only 1 job, kill everyone before they escape lol...

there a few different ways to get out.. you can either drive a car out - drive a boat out across the lake - or call the police... so for example, if you opted to go with the car or boat, you first have to find parts to rebuild the engines - which have been scattered throughout the camp (and the locations of the parts will change with each new match, so they are never in the same place).. then you have to rebuild the engines, and then you can power up the vehicles and get out........

if you go the phone route to call the police - it's the same as the vehicles, you have to find parts to repair the phone - but once you call the police, you have to stay alive long enough for them to show up, in which case they will arrive, but wherever they are at - you have to go meet them - so Jason can still kill you on your way to them.
    @haserot, that actually sounds really awesome. I'm going to be watching some let's plays of it when it comes out, as I predict it'll be extremely amusing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2016 Posts: 13,882
    As a fan of the films, I don't see how a single player game couldn't have been created by any developer. I imagine something along the lines of capcom's 'Haunting Ground'. Replace the castle with a camp & surrounding woodland area, replace Debilitas was Jason, add in weapons & context sensitive areas (to be able to injure Jason) and there you go, a 3rd person Friday The 13th game.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 17
    I so wish Everything or Nothing was ported to PC, after all it did utilize the ID Tech 3 engine like many PC games used to use and most of those games had mod support and map editors, custom single player and Co-Op maps for EoN would've been really nice.

Agent Under Fire and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent also used the ID Tech 3 engine, I remember reading some interview where a developer of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent mentioned the posibility of a PC version, but of course that never happened.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've been following that 'Friday the 13th' game since its Kickstarter inception, it'll be a day one purchase for me. Going to be chilling, running around famous locations I grew up enjoying from the movies, hiding from the elusive and terrifying Jason Vorhees.
    005 wrote: »
    I so wish Everything or Nothing was ported to PC, after all it did utilize the ID Tech 3 engine like many PC games used to use and most of those games had mod support and map editors, custom single player and Co-Op maps for EoN would've been really nice.

Agent Under Fire and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent also used the ID Tech 3 engine, I remember reading some interview where a developer of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent mentioned the posibility of a PC version, but of course that never happened.

TND (the unreleased version, not the one we got) was also intended to be released on PC. I often wonder what might have been had the first version of TND been released instead of the clunky thing we ended up with. Then again, no guarantees that it would have been any less clunky to control.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Everything or Nothing was rumoured to see a PC release as was From Russia With Love. But, that didn't happen sadly. Agent Under Fire should have been released for the PC because... I mean let's face it... the gameplay mechanics and controls seem more like a PC game rather than a console game. The PC version of Nightfire however already presented us the Agent Under Fire game with Nightfire's story, instead. It was heavily inspired by its predecessor on the console, whereas the PS2/Xbox Nightfire was its own thing.

Oh, and we were promised with a PC and PS2 version of TWINE. The project that later became Agent Under Fire.
    As a fan of the films, I don't see how a single player game couldn't have been created by any developer. I imagine something along the lines of capcom's 'Haunting Ground'. Replace the castle with a camp & surrounding woodland area, replace Debilitas was Jason, add in weapons & context sensitive areas (to be able to injure Jason) and there you go, a 3rd person Friday The 13th game.

what i think it boiled down to was cost... they are a small indy company with no major backing, so i think they really sat down and thought they could go one of two ways - a single player experience, or multiplayer.. and if you listen to the devs talk during Con panels and such, they've said that the movies themselves are fun to watch with buddies - because you all either get scared, or laugh and it turns into a fun experience.. and they really wanted to try and recreate that with this game - something that couldn't be done just playing by yourself..... they have not disregarded doing a single player mode at all eventually - but i think they'll wait and see how the game sells first... the Devs have said they actually have a single player mode all scripted and storyboarded out, they just need the time and funds to do it... and thats the other thing to remember, is that this game was completely crowd funded on Kickstarter.. and "adding single player mode" was one of their stretch goals, but they didn't raise enough money to get it in for release...
    Oh, and we were promised with a PC and PS2 version of TWINE. The project that later became Agent Under Fire.

I also heard that Roger Moore was originally going to be Bond in AUF. That would have been awesome!

I also heard that Roger Moore was originally going to be Bond in AUF. That would have been awesome!
    Yes, he was!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    HASEROT wrote: »

what i think it boiled down to was cost... they are a small indy company with no major backing, so i think they really sat down and thought they could go one of two ways - a single player experience, or multiplayer.. and if you listen to the devs talk during Con panels and such, they've said that the movies themselves are fun to watch with buddies - because you all either get scared, or laugh and it turns into a fun experience.. and they really wanted to try and recreate that with this game - something that couldn't be done just playing by yourself..... they have not disregarded doing a single player mode at all eventually - but i think they'll wait and see how the game sells first... the Devs have said they actually have a single player mode all scripted and storyboarded out, they just need the time and funds to do it... and thats the other thing to remember, is that this game was completely crowd funded on Kickstarter.. and "adding single player mode" was one of their stretch goals, but they didn't raise enough money to get it in for release...

That's true, it was about the money. If they get the funds, it could be done. And Kane would be on board instantly. Having said in a recent interview he wants to put the hockey mask on more time:

(jump to 11:41...)
    it still irks me to this day that he wasn't Jason in 'Freddy vs Jason'... he'd been championing that movie forever, since the end of JGTH - and they instead go with Ken Kerzinger, who wasn't bad.. but the design for Jason in that movie made him look dopey.

Kane is completely dedicated to the role of Jason, and has said on numerous occasions that he considers it an honor to put on the hockey mask - and for the mocap sessions, he even donned the mask a few times, to put him in the mood.. i love him lol.....

i know they are talking about doing yet another reboot on the Friday the 13th movie series - they should get Kane back, why not..
    all i know is, is that if i was directing the new Friday the 13th movie.. first call i make is to Kane Hodder.... second would be Tom Savini.... then third would be Harry Manfredini.... i would be bringing the old school back lol.
    @haserot, Kane did the mo-cap for the game? Awesome!

They'll have to Kickstart a Freddy game with Englund next!
    yes he did - here he is doing the MoCap..

edited September 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @haserot, Kane is awesome. I love how in to it he got. For all he's done for the F13 series, he deserved this one, and it's great to know he got to be a part of this.
    i just love the fact that it's a giant love letter to the fans of the series... the Dev team has this thing online that they regularly update with in game content called The Virtual Cabin - and it's literally like a museum that you can walk through and interact with stuff that will be used in the game.. and a lot of youtubers have gone through and pointed out every movie reference easter egg throughout all the rooms - there are TONS of them, and it's fun just to watch those videos.... if you're a fan like i am, it's literally like walking through a Jason museum - i'll post one of the videos below, so you can check it out.... There are other games i am looking forward to as well, like Resident Evil 7 and Mafia 3... but this game has gotten me the most excited...

here is one of the Virtual Cabin videos..

edited September 2016 Posts: 13,882
    it still irks me to this day that he wasn't Jason in 'Freddy vs Jason'... he'd been championing that movie forever, since the end of JGTH - and they instead go with Ken Kerzinger, who wasn't bad.. but the design for Jason in that movie made him look dopey.

I think the look of Jason in FvJ is part of the problem I have with the film. Kirzinger is another problem. It is easy to write-off Jason, saying that the actor doesn't need to act. Then, when you look back at what Kane did (act with his body), you realise that being Jason is more complex than you'd think.
    Kane is completely dedicated to the role of Jason, and has said on numerous occasions that he considers it an honor to put on the hockey mask - and for the mocap sessions, he even donned the mask a few times, to put him in the mood.. i love him lol.....

i know they are talking about doing yet another reboot on the Friday the 13th movie series - they should get Kane back, why not..

He was sore for a time after FvJ, but as you said, he always considered it an honor, and never tried to distance himself from Jason. It's a big shame that he wasn't i Fvj, knowing how he is friends with Robert England in real life, it would have been like watching Hammer Horror films with Christopher Lee as Dracula, and Peter Cushing as Prof. Van Helsing. The mo-cap for the game, along with the Hatchet films and the many other films he has made, show that Kane could have (and still could do) played Jason in any film since Jason X. Even at 61, he still and the physicality to carry the role. I have my fingers crossed so much that a developer throws a truck load of money at the dev team to make a full game, especially a single player. This is one of the rare times that my brain is bursting with ideas. Who do I have to slaughter, Jason style, to be part of the games' think tank? ;)
    all i know is, is that if i was directing the new Friday the 13th movie.. first call i make is to Kane Hodder.... second would be Tom Savini.... then third would be Harry Manfredini.... i would be bringing the old school back lol.

If you are directing the next film with that cast/crew, consider my ticket already bought.
    @MajorDSmythe... let's hope that the game sells well.. the diehards will buy it for sure (many have it already pre-ordered - which is what i plan to do when i get some $$ to do so).. but they are going to need at least a decent amount of "average gamer" buys i think to put enough money in for a single player mode...... even if they never added a single player mode ever - i would still like it if they regularly update the game with DLC for the multiplayer, ie: maps, characters, weapons..... as of right now, they are only $3,000 away from having Tommy Jarvis in the game - it's not yet known if he would be a playable character or not - but they did say as much that he would be in the game to "help out".. to what extent they mean by that, who knows... but i am hoping if they put him in, that they get Tom Matthews back from Part 6 - he was my favorite Tommy.....

some DLC or possible release ready map locations i would love to see..

The Higgins Haven Cabin & Barn - from Part 3 ((ALREADY CONFIRMED IN GAME))
    Packanack Lodge & Jason's shack - from Part 2
    Tommy's house and the other rented house - from Part 4
    The Mental Clinic Home - from Part 5
    Crystal Lake Cabins & Graveyard - from Part 6
    Tina's House and that other Cabin - from Part 7
    Lazarus Ship - from Part 8
    Grendle Space Ship - from Jason X (i hate the movie, but it would still be a fun option)
    There's one thing I don't really understand about video games...

Some people find it easy to develop a multiplayer, but they claim that single player campaigns require more money and a larger budget, which I don't get. Is it something to do with the story rights? Is it prohibited to make a move without an approval from the rights holder?
    Well, single player campaigns will have bigger teams working on them (more wages to pay), require massive textures and levels to fill out the story and move the plot forward, endless character models with heavy polygon counts, and of course more voice talent and actors for mo-cap, etc. which really adds up.

It all depends on the game money-wise, of course, but most AAA games these days have all these plates they need to balance, whereas a multiplayer game can be relatively simple in design and will feature maps that players compete on as opposed to the massive textured open worlds of single player campaigns. The biggest issues with multiplayer games then come to be keeping a steady load of content coming to players to keep the online game alive and managing the servers so that the game isn't being overloaded with log-on issues and other connectivity errors for those players.

This has been my experience, but like I said, it can differ. It's best explained that single player campaigns are more ambitious and bigger in scope that most multiplayers, and so more resources and money are spent to bring them to life.