No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RC7 wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin any news on a Johnny English 3?
    Just when we thought this thread couldn't sink any lower.
    Just wait until we get the next actor rumour. Allen Leech hasn't been mentioned yet, but I'm sure that's coming one day.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    judging by the response you gave to our *gasp* amusement at a simple clip

Well you certainly got that right. Least sophisticated gag since 'man slipped on banana skin.'
    a stinking pile of negativity that is neither often warranted nor witty, let alone deserved. You can do better than that.

You'll find if you read my posts aloud in a little girl's voice they instantly become 136% wittier.

It's the people who are negative about stuff that drive progress. If everyone just sat there and happily settled for mediocrity we'd still be living in caves eating raw mammoth steaks in the cold and dark.

If I'm negative about this abortion of a sketch it's not only for reasons of comic taste, it's that I'd prefer Mendes, MGW and Dan to be spending their valuable time polishing the extremely flawed script they were filming rather than waste their time filming this dross.

'But Wizard it's for charity don't be such a miserable bastard'.

Fine, film the crater explosion with miniatures and give the money wasted to Comic Relief instead.
    This thread is a real hoot!

I agree. Just a shame everyone has to take everything so seriously and earnestly instead of getting stuck in with some quality banter.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @ClarkDevlin any news on a Johnny English 3?
    Not that I know of. But, I'd like one to be honest, because I loved Reborn more than I liked the first.
  • This forum is having a nervous breakdown. We'll all be driving to Dundee barefoot by the end of the week.
    This forum is having a nervous breakdown. We'll all be driving to Dundee barefoot by the end of the week.

There you go people. That's much more the sort of thing we're after than men talking in a girl's voice.

Lovely stuff.
  • RC7RC7
    This forum is having a nervous breakdown. We'll all be driving to Dundee barefoot by the end of the week.

There you go people. That's much more the sort of thing we're after than men talking in a girl's voice.

Lovely stuff.

Indeed. @JawsIsAlive bags himself a tin of Directors for that one.

Lovely stuff.

Indeed. @JawsIsAlive bags himself a tin of Directors for that one.

I've got it running out of my taps.
  • Dave_the_RaveDave_the_Rave London
    DCisared wrote: »

Dreadful then, Dreadful now. Thought we'd seen the last of that.

Too right. Thought it had been sealed in lead and dropped in the North Sea long ago.

About as funny as treading on a piece of Lego on the day of your mother's funeral.

Makes the double take pigeon look like Bill Hicks.

....Heh heh heh -- Dude, you should be writing comedy screenplays.

-- Dave the Rave.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 11,425
    DCisared wrote: »

Dreadful then, Dreadful now. Thought we'd seen the last of that.

Too right. Thought it had been sealed in lead and dropped in the North Sea long ago.

About as funny as treading on a piece of Lego on the day of your mother's funeral.

Makes the double take pigeon look like Bill Hicks.

....Heh heh heh -- Dude, you should be writing comedy screenplays.

-- Dave the Rave.

It's true actually. Why is @wiz wasting his talents on here when he should be writing an award winning comedy sketch show.

I suppose at least it distracts him from developing ways to deny his staff of overtime pay and holidays, or whatever his day job is at TfL.
  • RC7RC7
    He needs to come back and do a 'Berkoff' in a Samurai suit. With a suitable director, Waltz could definitely nail it.
  • Longer screen time would help.
  • RC7RC7
    Longer screen time would help.

I think his screen time is fine in SP, I wouldn't personally go much beyond it. The trick is to have three scenes with him that are absolute gold.
    London sequence was pointless. Should have ended at the crater with uncertainty whether Blofeld was dead or alive
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'm actually doing a fan edit of Spectre at the moment. I'm trying to make it more focused on Bond, cut out a bit of the "cheekiness". Make the story flow a little faster. I think you guys will find it interesting. I'm going to open up a thread once I'm done. You don't realise how pointless some scenes are until you see the bare essentials are of the movie.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm actually doing a fan edit of Spectre at the moment. I'm trying to make it more focused on Bond, cut out a bit of the "cheekiness". Make the story flow a little faster. I think you guys will find it interesting. I'm going to open up a thread once I'm done. You don't realise how pointless some scenes are until you see the bare essentials are of the movie.

Take out all NINE EYES. When I FF these scenes, it is far more entertaining
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Longer screen time would help.

I think his screen time is fine in SP, I wouldn't personally go much beyond it. The trick is to have three scenes with him that are absolute gold.

Which they weren't and it seems that Waltz himself was not pleased with the finished product. The script and Mendes are likely to be the culprits here.

Tarantino and Polanski show that when you deliver him the material he'll knock it out the park but Mendes clearly didn't stoke his fires.

If he can come back with a new director and writing team that he gels with I'll gladly see him in the role again but Telly will have to remain the best on film Blofeld for the time being bar the faceless ones in FRWL & TB.
    peter wrote: »

Take out all NINE EYES. When I FF these scenes, it is far more entertaining

I have removed all those scenes. Even a lot of the gang scenes too. Removed the whole Rome chase infact. Lots of stuff I got rid of.
    The interesting thing about this is if Craig (as an actor) and Bond (as an agent with MI6) are really done, then we would have seen his first two assignments (I realize that there is some debate about whether QoS immediately follows CR or whether the epilogue in CR takes place some time after Vesper's death) and his last two assignments (pretty much).

We would never have seen anything in between - primarily due to the large time gap between the events of QoS and SF.
    As a kid, the FRWL Blofeld's voice (Eric Pohlmann) used to terrify me, often thinking of him as an intimidating man that Bond had to face in future films. However, as iconic as he may be, Donald Pleasance was a disappointment. He was a cartoon villain rather than an actual opponent of horror. EON should've realized this and made Blofeld terrifying, but we ended up with a mediocre version of the character, kind of like an amalgamation of Donald Pleasance and Charles Gray, with a little bit of sadism. I was really excited when I found out Waltz was to be Blofeld, but over the period of time, my appreciation of his iteration of the character decreased slowly. This is why Telly Savalas is the best Blofeld to date. They should have cast Mark Strong or someone with great acting abilities matching Craig's physicality as Blofeld.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames if you lump CR and QOS as one continuous assignment, then the Craig era only features 2 official missions, CR/QOS and SF, as Bond is not on an officially sanctioned operation at any point of SP.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That's an interesting point @DaltonCraig007. I wonder if Craig always intended for Mendes to be the guy to see him out of the role, because he could have walked after SF as well, given how that film ended with the new (old) office, the male M and the promise of a standard assignment. It's almost like SP was one long drawn out epilogue to the events of SF, QoS and CR.
    As a kid, the FRWL Blofeld's voice (Eric Pohlmann) used to terrify me, often thinking of him as an intimidating man that Bond had to face in future films. However, as iconic as he may be, Donald Pleasance was a disappointment. He was a cartoon villain rather than an actual opponent of horror. EON should've realized this and made Blofeld terrifying, but we ended up with a mediocre version of the character, kind of like an amalgamation of Donald Pleasance and Charles Gray, with a little bit of sadism. I was really excited when I found out Waltz was to be Blofeld, but over the period of time, my appreciation of his iteration of the character decreased slowly. This is why Telly Savalas is the best Blofeld to date. They should have cast Mark Strong or someone with great acting abilities matching Craig's physicality as Blofeld.

What would have been cool, is if they had made Blofeld a computer. Imagine a distorted, menacing voice, that could never be traced.
  • Can we have a petition for Robert Richardson to be the cinematographer for Bond 25?

What would have been cool, is if they had made Blofeld a computer. Imagine a distorted, menacing voice, that could never be traced.
    I heard that in Logan's original script, or one of the draft's at least, that Blofeld was nothing but a codename instead of the main villain's actual name.

I heard that in Logan's original script, or one of the draft's at least, that Blofeld was nothing but a codename instead of the main villain's actual name.

Which is a lot better of a concept, imo.

Which is a lot better of a concept, imo.
    I always approach the first viewing with an open mind. If it's executed well, works for me. Many franchises have been creative enough with these kind of matters, I wouldn't mind if this concept was used in future Bond films.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't know ...I'd rather see the actual character or an updated version sans the foster brother angle.
    @dominicgreene, I certainly hope that you remove the hanging family photo album from your edit. One of the more annoying scenes.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Can we have a petition for Robert Richardson to be the cinematographer for Bond 25?

I thought of that actually, and it would be phenomenal. No doubt the producers will be eying him.