No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

jake24 wrote: »
    Indeed. Between 89 and 95 you always felt Cubby was chomping at the bit and circumstances were out of his control. But that was a serious legal dispute.

All we are waiting on here is for them to sort a distribution deal out. How long does it take?
    If I had to guess, they were in negotiations with Warner Bros, but are now reconsidering based on the whole debacle going on with DC Comics. Another possibility is the fact that Craig is holding everyone and everything off solely based on his pending decision to return or not.

What is the problem with DC Comics?
    Sept. 26, 2015: Craig says he's contracted for one more (this after SPECTRE had been filmed).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-3247750/Bond-Spectre-Daniel-Craig-s-like-alter-ego.html

November 2012: Craig says, " I've agreed to do a couple more, but let's see how this one does." One refers to Skyfall.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/cover-story-excerpt-daniel-craig-the-man-behind-james-bond-20121109

Of course, Craig once said, "The title of a Bond film is not about anything."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3096758/Daniel-Craig-Bond-film-name-Quantum-of-Solace-was-my-idea.html

And once said, "Agents are liars," when asked about how Ben Whishaw's agent (accurately) said his client had been cast as Q.

http://www.comingsoon.net/extras/news/89099-skyfall-interview-daniel-craig-and-producer-barbara-broccoli

Probably best to just ignore anything DC says. The guy's got a loose cannon for a mouth, and he shoots it off with no regard for what he's aiming at.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    vzok wrote: »
    Indeed. Between 89 and 95 you always felt Cubby was chomping at the bit and circumstances were out of his control. But that was a serious legal dispute.

All we are waiting on here is for them to sort a distribution deal out. How long does it take?
    If I had to guess, they were in negotiations with Warner Bros, but are now reconsidering based on the whole debacle going on with DC Comics. Another possibility is the fact that Craig is holding everyone and everything off solely based on his pending decision to return or not.

Trouble productions and poor reception mostly.

Trouble productions and poor reception mostly.

Thanks. I thought Suicide Squad had started off well, but I've just checked the DC thread, and it seems to be due to collapse quickly. Still 135M still seems great for a start.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Made it to $268M by now.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Made it to $268M by now.
    That's great, all things considered.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Very little. EON arent in the habit of giving out tips. Presume Frederick has got a new book out?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Very little. EON arent in the habit of giving out tips. Presume Frederick has got a new book out?
    My first thought. Since when Forsyth has any connection to Bond?
    Perhaps he is writing the next bond novel
  • Risico007 wrote: »

That would be for IFP, which doesn't enjoy a particularly close relationship with Eon Productions.
  • Risico007 wrote: »

That would be for IFP, which doesn't enjoy a particularly close relationship with Eon Productions.

It's also kind of absurd that Eon's advice to the next Bond writer would be: "Just don't make Bond funny or charismatic because we're not going with Tom Hiddleston. No. Way."
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    We do know a few things.

EON is waiting for a new distributor.
    Craig is contracted for a 5th film.
    His last two have combined for nearly $2 billion at the BO.
    Daniel Craig is still Bond.

These are the only facts thus far I am aware of.

Don't think he is actually contracted for it. It's an option. He was contracted - as far as I can remember - for four with the option of a fifth!
    It comes across like he has first refusal - i.e. they have to go to him first with an offer before anyone else.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    It comes across like he has first refusal - i.e. they have to go to him first with an offer before anyone else.

Well, isn't Craig still the incumbent Bond actor until he actually resigns from the role? So, it's normal that Craig has the first say as even though he is not contractually obligated to do Bond 25, he's the only actor in the world to have an 'option' on the film.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Well, isn't Craig still the incumbent Bond actor until he actually resigns from the role? So, it's normal that Craig has the first say as even though he is not contractually obligated to do Bond 25, he's the only actor in the world to have an 'option' on the film.

Yes because he has first refusal on a fifth film. If he was out of contract then no, they could offer it to anyone, and he wouldn't be 'incumbent' anything.
    Is that what "an option" means? I though it'd be EON that can take up the option.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Is that what "an option" means? I though it'd be EON that can take up the option.

What do you mean? 'Option' means that DC can say yes or no to a fifth film before they can offer the role to anyone else, because they've given him that option. He's not contractually obliged to do another, they are contractually obliged to not offer the role to anyone else unless he turns that film down - if indeed he has the 'option' on a fifth film.

In this way he is still contractually playing the role of James Bond until/if he declines his option of a fifth film.
  • RC7RC7
    We are in a very simple situation. Forget contracts and options, this situation is resolved via discussions. Once those discussions have reached their conclusion we'll all be made aware of the situation. Going back and forth on contracts/options etc is just a waste of forum space.
    The "option" issue. What if Criag wants to do a 5th film but the producers say no? Can that happen or would the producers have to buy Criag out of his contract?
  • RC7RC7
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    The "option" issue. What if Criag wants to do a 5th film but the producers say no? Can that happen or would the producers have to buy Criag out of his contract?

Of course they can say no, but I highly doubt they would. As I said above, just wait. There will be discussions between both parties and a decision will be made.
    I think in that scenario the producers would have to pay Craig his salary for the film. Reaally depends on the contract,
  • RC7RC7
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think in that scenario the producers would have to pay Craig his salary for the film. Reaally depends on the contract,

Are you actually reading anything I've said? There is no formal contract. It is a discussion between both parties. He may continue, he may not.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Which makes me think that the decision was made months ago.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Anybody that thinks Barbara would flat out say "no" to Dan for Bond 25 has clearly lost the plot; he's the best collaborator she has and they've made billions together. You're better off believing these endless bullshit bookie predictions. #-o
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    No that does not at all mean a firm decision has been made yet.

And thanks, @RC7.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bottom line is we know nothing at this point. Craig is the incumbent Bond until told otherwise.

Broccoli doesn't seem to be all that interested in doing another Bond film right away as she has other publicized projects on the go, and MGM has its thumb stuck up you know where with the studio discussions from what we're reading.

So we're in limbo land. We've had the incumbent return before when that has happened (Moore and Craig himself) and we've had a complete changing of the guard before (Dalton).

So anything is possible and nothing is known.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    RC7 said it best. And we shall see.

Would be lovely to have any other news to discuss, but not really happening ...
    Basically we're just discussing how there are no news and that we don't know anything. Which is sort of fascinating in itself.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Which in itself is pointless and illogical.