No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I don't see it as a negative thing. Nobody has to be here or read or write anything, but people are and do - presumably because they care. And also it's a sort of a community where people to some extent (some more some less) belong to. So they discuss even when there's nothing to discuss. I see no problem with that at all.
    Anybody that thinks Barbara would flat out say "no" to Dan for Bond 25 has clearly lost the plot; he's the best collaborator she has and they've made billions together. You're better off believing these endless bullshit bookie predictions. #-o

It was just a scenario I was asking about
  • MGM released second-quarter financial results on Wednesday. No Bond news on the conference call.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @fjdinardo, I wasn't talking about your post, I know your comment was merely a "what-if" scenario.
    Anybody that thinks Barbara would flat out say "no" to Dan for Bond 25 has clearly lost the plot; he's the best collaborator she has and they've made billions together. You're better off believing these endless bullshit bookie predictions. #-o

Well said. He's a proven success in the role. I think EON would want to keep him for another.

That said, Brozza was a commercial success and they still showed him the door
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    That said, Brozza was a commercial success and they still showed him the door
    I agree with this point. Vision will drive the casting decision first and foremost, if Babs has anything to do with it. Cubby had a tendency to hold on, but Babs has shown she can cut the cord if a new direction presents itself. The longer this drags out, the less chance that Craig returns in my view, as there is more opportunity to forge a new approach and recast.

MGM, the ball is in your court it seems, in terms of getting the studio situation sorted out sooner rather than later.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    MGM released second-quarter financial results on Wednesday. No Bond news on the conference call.

Troubling or no?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 40,468
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    MGM released second-quarter financial results on Wednesday. No Bond news on the conference call.

Troubling or no?

It's been noted that they'll go back to doing a Bond movie every three or four years, and it hasn't been a full year since SP was released, so it's not troubling/shocking that there have been no recent comments or confirmations regarding the future of Bond. It really is a shame that they don't want to put a little bit more hustle into the upcoming installments, but oh well.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Troubling or no?

It's been noted that they'll go back to doing a Bond movie every three or four years, and it hasn't been a full year since SP was released, so it's not troubling/shocking that there have been no recent comments or confirmations regarding the future of Bond. It really is a shame that they don't want to put a little bit more hustle into the upcoming installments, but oh well.

Right. I made the original comment (about MGM's second-quarter conference call) mostly to note it had taken place without new 007 developments. Essentially it was an "for your information" type comment.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Troubling or no?

Right. I made the original comment (about MGM's second-quarter conference call) mostly to note it had taken place without new 007 developments. Essentially it was an "for your information" type comment.

Ok thanks to you both @AlexanderWaverly and @Creasy47
    I really miss getting actual news about the next Bond film. Oh well, time to put a disc in the BD player and relive some of the glory already filmed. :-h
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Linda Ge from 'The Wrap' just tweeted this from Showtimes TCA panel:

"Showtime's #Purity adaptation starring Daniel Craig will be 2 seasons, premiering in 2018 and 2019. #TCA16"
    The quotes in that article are working under the assumption that Craig will want to return for 'Bond 25' after doing 'Purity.' Who knows what he (or the higher-ups involved) want at this point.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The quotes in that article are working under the assumption that Craig will want to return for 'Bond 25' after doing 'Purity.' Who knows what he (or the higher-ups involved) want at this point.

The only thing DC distanced himself from was doing another 007 film right after SP. Not from playing the character again.
    @peter, but he would do a movie then a TV series, and then do a long 'Bond 25' shoot?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,423
    And then retire for life. Daniel Craig: The Last Stand.

Taglines: "How he did Purity. How he did Lucky Logan. How he did Bond. All in a pack. Months of torture. How he triumphed."

:))
    Looks like a 2018 release wont be happening
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Looks like a 2018 release wont be happening
    I already said that. Also with all this talks about options and will he won't me... gives me a good idea for the new Bond 25 title.... DON'T SAY NO !
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @peter, but he would do a movie then a TV series, and then do a long 'Bond 25' shoot?

Who knows what he thought when he said what he said. I always took it as being it was a long, hard shoot. He needed space away from the character.

Furthermore, as an actor, he hadn't played any other role but Bond since GWTDT (2011).

Looking at it like that, I don't think he necessarily needed a break from his work, but a break from 007.

And he's doing that right now: the more low-budget and fast-shooting LL, then Othello, then PURITY...

He's still listed for Bond 25 on IMDB Pro.

And I think when the time comes, they will properly send him off, as Fox has with Hugh Jackman and Wolverine, stating this will be his last go around...

Yea Craig needed a break from Bond, not acting. He made like what 5 movies? in between QOS and SF?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @fjdinardo: between 2012-2016, a four year period, the man made two films. It'll be five years since he's played a character not 007 by the time he starts shooting LL.

Yah, I think the guy deserves a break from the tux. Re-experience creating new characters, meeting new people on sets, or behind the curtains of the stage, re-charging his creative juices.

Half a decade of playing nothing but one character is a long time.
    peter wrote: »
    @fjdinardo: between 2012-2016, a four year period, the man made two films. It'll be five years since he's played a character not 007 by the time he starts shooting LL.

Yah, I think the guy deserves a break from the tux. Re-experience creating new characters, meeting new people on sets, or behind the curtains of the stage, re-charging his creative juices.

Yea between SF & SP he was in 0 featured films. He just did plays.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081

Why not? If he wants to do more Bond, that is.

Who knows what he thought when he said what he said. I always took it as being it was a long, hard shoot. He needed space away from the character.

Furthermore, as an actor, he hadn't played any other role but Bond since GWTDT (2011).

Looking at it like that, I don't think he necessarily needed a break from his work, but a break from 007.

And he's doing that right now: the more low-budget and fast-shooting LL, then Othello, then PURITY...

Exactly.

Whether or not he'll do more Bond depends on whether or not he'll want to, not whether or not he does nothing else for a couple of years. Doing different kinds of acting work - different in scale, and obviously different kinds of characters - is good for an actor.

While I wasn't happy about him not doing much else than Bond anymore, and thought it wasn't good for him as an actor, I hadn't even thought about it in terms of time... half a decade is indeed a long time.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They said it the way things are. That's how you speak about something.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I agree with what some have already astutely said: Dan wanted a break from Bond, not acting. Doing different kinds of roles, reading different sorts of scripts and meshing with different talent in the form of actors/actresses and directors will only make him a better actor and help him to further develop his craft going into Bond 25 or anything beyond every project he wraps. Dan loves his job, and really enjoys being involved in things beyond just acting. Any chance he can get to see other filmmakers do their thing teaches him new things he wouldn't have learned otherwise about the art form. Acting is a learning experience for him, not just a paycheck. And the work/parts he picks, often projects strong in character studies and interpersonal drama, display this rather well.

This all being said, if there was ever a time for a bit of a break to happen in Bond films, it's now. With how SP ended, with Bond seemingly going into retirement with Madeleine, all the time between this point and when we get Bond 25-if Dan does return-only adds credibility to Bond being away. Time will have passed in our world, as it will have in his, and when we find him again in the next film, a year or more will likely have passed and we'll feel like we're seeing a familiar face again after a while away. Kind of like seeing a friend over Christmas.

I'd love to see Bond's new life explored in detail in Bond 25, featuring a Bond a year or so out of the service, trying his damnedest to make his new life work, but just being bored by the quiet of where he and Madeleine are situated. He has nightmares of SPECTRE/Blofeld, and worries about the vengeance in Ernst's heart, paranoid of what he may do if he still holds control in the organization. I'd love to see a scene where Bond and Madeleine are going out in the village/town they're at and every once in a while, Bond thinks he's being watched by SPECTRE, but can't be sure. He sees a shadow behind him, a flash of a face around a corner, but it all turns out to be his paranoia. Until it isn't, and he finds his work is far from over, as his location is tracked and his life and that of Madeleine's is put in danger.

I would like it even more to see Bond 25 open with Bond and Madeleine's wedding, seeing M, Moneypenny and Q along with everyone else at the service enjoying Bond's big day, before the movie then settles into Bond's quiet life. It would be interesting to even see an opening gun barrel begin with a Bond in a tux walking out, and he stops, making you think he's going to shoot his gun towards the viewer, but really he's got a bottle of champagne and shoots the cork out of it, beginning the film in a slightly fresh way. The final shot at the wedding could be a close up of Bond smiling and really getting a kick out of things, then the next shot is of him, shadowed, sitting in their house and looking miserable now that all excitement has left his life, and in its place, nothing but banality.

If Bond 25 doesn't use the opportunity to really examine Bond post-MI6, which we haven't see anything like that before, I'll be extremely disappointed. People shout all the time about their desire to see the series explore original and fresh things with the character. Well, this is the moment.
  • RC7RC7

No she doesn't. Read it again, or did you not read it in the first place?
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Deadline quote:
    “This will largely be completed during the course of 2017, depending how long they’re willing to wait and shoot the next Bond.

It's doubtful Craig would want to do a long run of this show and then go straight into filming Bond 25. I think it's very unlikely given the claim he was rather tired making SPECTRE.

I can't imagine the Bond producers and MGM wanting to wait too long for Craig to be available - delaying Bond 25 to 2019? 2019 would feel enough of a time gap - four years - to recast and go with a younger actor.