The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    edited July 2016 Posts: 299
    Yes, a bit disappointing.

How about a bit of good old British gloating? Or was that the Ostrogoths who were so in favour of ugly leering? I forget.

Cheer up ye wet blanket!

=))

bondjames wrote: »
    Brilliant - Theresa May now saying that she won't invoke Article 50 until Sturgeon agrees to terms. We've gone straight from being governed from Brussels to Edinburgh. Remainers will cheer that democracy has been suppressed once again. This Government is already a complete shambles.
    Politically, she is giving Sturgeon an opportunity to come on side. Now Sturgeon has to play along. She can dictate terms if she wants or she can play spoiler. Her move.

You still haven't quite understood the mechanics of the vote you are so proud of now. You can either have Brexit or Scotland inside the Union. You cannot have both. You chose Brexit, now it's farewell, Englanders. That's democracy, sorry. ;) :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Scotland actually costs England money, so let the EU take up the bill.
    Of course Scotland will have to apply for membership, that should be
    fun =)) It will be nice to have to change your money to Euro, when on
    a visit.
    Research your facts, Pussy. England picks up debt on the Scots. And I for one trust the Euro more than a currency a single player on the market can kick out on any given day just because his rashers didn't agree with him. And that was before the crew on this little rowing boat decided to head for new markets with a set of pitchforks for oars. Not to mention the actual guys on the bridge. I'd even trust you and this assortment of experts-by-common-Internet-sense more than them.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't care if Scotland leaves the Union, in fact the Libertarian in me wishes it. I'd rather Scotland just does what it wants.
    Oh @Campell2 you're such an Old cynic. :D always seeing the Dark side, always gloom.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Brilliant - Theresa May now saying that she won't invoke Article 50 until Sturgeon agrees to terms. We've gone straight from being governed from Brussels to Edinburgh. Remainers will cheer that democracy has been suppressed once again. This Government is already a complete shambles.
    Politically, she is giving Sturgeon an opportunity to come on side. Now Sturgeon has to play along. She can dictate terms if she wants or she can play spoiler. Her move.

Yes, let's turn this into a poker game.

Anyway, I have a feeling that Theresa May actually wants a Soft Brexit:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/15/theresa-may-nicola-sturgeon-holyrood-article-50-decision

And let's face it....perhaps article 50 will be put into effect somewhere in 2018. How nice. More and more uncertainty.
    We need a chap like Erdogan, now there's a man with a plan. ;)
    edited July 2016 Posts: 8,088
    Its much better now we're out of the EU, we're safe now.
    We need a chap like Erdogan, now there's a man with a plan. ;)

You know....today I was laughing a lot actually. In a weird kind of way. Because let's face it, there hasn't been so much political shit around our corners lately :-).

The problem is that May would need a broader mandate. The were some 80 willing to support Leadsom regardless, these are always uncertain candidates and not to be trusted in doubt. But it's truly hard to see how this shambles could be solved now, a general election would widen the trenches even more. And it's not a given it would lead to a better result. You would have to campaign with some plan of where and how and what, only nobody as yet has one on offer apart from the notorious bullsh***ers. So all they can do is plod along and hope for the best now. Perhaps in year things are getting somewhat clearer. Or we see the next change of guard.
    Don't worry as soon as he becomes of no use to the west, it will be time for
    Regime change. ;)
  • With Scotland, when the autumn statement comes out & they're hit with a massive budget cut to bring them into line with the amount spent per head in the rest of the UK, May's first step towards equality for every citizen. Scotland will no longer be able to afford free university education, free prescriptions etc., they'll bitch as the scots usually do, but hopefully deep in their sometimes thick skulls they'll realise how much they rely on the rest of the UK & that outside of the union, if they can get back into the EU, they'll be at the behest of the Germans....not a way I'd want to live, but hay I'm English & what the foxtrot, I don't have too...... >:)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sturgeon is going to back down at the end of the day. That's my guess.
    I said something similar earlier and was told I had my facts wrong ! =))
    nice to see we're all reading the same wrong information.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    An interesting article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36800536

Note the heading 'willing to listen to options'. She may be be willing to listen but she may not be so willing to act. Sturgeon perhaps may now find herself subtly subjected to the 'Leadsom' treatment?

Meanwhile here's a couple more interesesting articles:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/07/scottish-brexit-voters-pose-quandary-for-independence-campaign

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/683755/Nicola-Sturgeon-SNP-Scottish-independence-EU-referendum-Brexit
    With Scotland, when the autumn statement comes out & they're hit with a massive budget cut to bring them into line with the amount spent per head in the rest of the UK, May's first step towards equality for every citizen. Scotland will no longer be able to afford free university education, free prescriptions etc., they'll bitch as the scots usually do, but hopefully deep in their sometimes thick skulls they'll realise how much they rely on the rest of the UK & that outside of the union, if they can get back into the EU, they'll be at the behest of the Germans....not a way I'd want to live, but hay I'm English & what the foxtrot, I don't have too...... >:)

Ah, yes - the Establishment line that England props up Scotland. How altruistic. If that were true, then why are the English establishment so keen to keep Scotland in the Union - why not let them go, and English people would become richer.

More likely, is that the City does nicely creaming money out of Scotland, and is loathe to give it up.

What is it with these people. they supposedly champion democracy but only when democracy suits them?

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    stag wrote: »

What is it with these people. they supposedly champion democracy but only when democracy suits them?

My thoughts to the letter. The left are such sore losers. They're on a hiding to nothing with that one.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

My thoughts to the letter. The left are such sore losers. They're on a hiding to nothing with that one.
    It's done. Several heads have rolled on account of it. It's time for these folks to move on, as most of us have.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »

At the very least there will be 18 months of red tape until trigger article 50. And by that time they will have thought up another reason to block it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well they can appeal to as many courts as they want but no court in the land will overturn a democratic vote or order a second referendum - that's not their job anyway. No doubt they have plenty of money to waste on it all though.
    I'm a bit tired of the confrontational, blackmailing power politics of the British. It's as if the world only is about the UK at times.....and not about Europe. Although I do understand it, as it's the UK only that needs to survive by itself.

I'm a bit tired of the confrontational, blackmailing power politics of the British. It's as if the world only is about the UK at times.....and not about Europe. Although I do understand it, as it's the UK only that needs to survive by itself.

That's because you view autonomy as selfish.

That is a lie.

That is a lie.

That's how the remainers think. They also think that democracy is unfair and culture is harmful.

That's how the remainers think. They also think that democracy is unfair and culture is harmful.

Well said. But I'd just like to add that to the remainers democracy is only unfair if it doesn't go their way. Had we voted to stay in the EU they would have quickly rounded on Brexiteers & told them to accept the result as democracy has spoken!

• edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119

That is a lie.

Still, you uttered a lie. You imply that I view autonomy as selfish. It. Is. Not. True. I posted here to defend MANY Dutch values, to support my country The Netherlands. And frankly, that's what I ought to do now that Brexit creates uncertainty, NOT only for the UK, but especially for Dutch interests.

You know that I support the EU yes. But many Brits in here shamelessly forget that I am VERY critical of the current EU. So what do you expect me to do as long as Netherlands still is a member of the EU and that our Dutch constitution does NOT allow a referendum on an issue like leaving the EU (A majority in the parliament first needs to agree with it). Put it like this: Netherlands is stuck with the EU for now and that won't change anytime soon. And at least the economic free trade union that the EU still is, is an aspect I radically support and defend!

So then I only find it logical to put the Dutch interests front-center, with assistance of a drastically reformed EU. But Netherlands still is an autonomous country. And do not even dare to bring in a discussion of sovereignty, which has nothing to do with this. Make no mistake, I am firmly posting stuff in here that's foremost in the interest of The Netherlands' economy. Perhaps you find me a 'cowardish Remain-supporter' or a 'lunatic Europhile'. But I don't care.

I care that The Netherlands urges many blue chip companies and banks to reconsider relocation of their head offices and manufacturing plants from London and elsewhere in the UK.....to either Amsterdam, Eindhoven or Rotterdam. THAT'S my interest. I favor free trade with low EU-tariffs, not the madness of IMF-bound trade tariffs that are off the scale. YOUR country has this tariff uncertainty, but WE don't! And since your PM Theresa May prefers solidifying financial uncertainty by tactically delaying the trigger of Article 50, I radically counteract such tactics and say to all companies in the UK: "You are better off in The Netherlands. We welcome you. Leave the UK!".
    Now @Mendes4Lyfe, I may have sound harsh and radical in my above statement :-). But, again, please do not lie. That's all I ask :-). You're a fine guy, but at times I think a firm opinion from my side is necessary to blast off some untrue accusations. I hope you understand ;-).

ANP-12179075.jpg
This discussion has been closed.