No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I very much look forward to the next one because it will be a truly formidable Bond film and most probably a top 10 for me (based on evidence of other Bond actor's first efforts).

Which is interesting, @bondjames, since in about 30 years' time, the franchise will reach its 10th actor in the lead role. Assuming they all make 4 films like Broz and Craig, and all of their debut outings are classics, the 1st outings will represent 10 films (top 10) out of 37 films. Which will be hard to rank, since films like OP, TSWLM, GF, FRWL, LTK are really, really good, and would be outside the top 10 by that point.
    That is a good point @DaltonCraig007. It would be difficult to put any of those films outside my top ten (I think they are all there now), so I would at that point possibly have to knock a few 1st outings down a bit, regrettably. At the moment I have TLD outside the top 10, just because I prefer Dalton's intensity in LTK, & of course Robert Davis' excellent villain.
    You all might like to know that in imdb's current poll of who should be the next James Bond, Aidan Turner (whom I had never heard of before this thread) is being soundly beaten by Idris Elba, Emilia Clarke, Danny DeVito, Gillian Anderson, and Jennifer Lawrence, among others. He's pulling just barely ahead of Indian actress and future Baywatch star Priyanka Chopra and Jaime Bell (who may or may not be in Baywatch - I haven't checked). To his credit, Aidan Turner is beating he of Bio-Dome fame, Pauly Shore, and Roger Moore, who in all fairness will be turning 90 next year. So there's hope for Aidan yet!

It's not a democracy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think everyone can agree that Craig has had two good outings, except we can't agree on which two. ;)

I have always thought that Craig was very much following in the footsteps of Lazenby, and had more success due to being a better actor and a better presence (although Lazenby didn't lack in that department).

Each Bond actors biggest strength is also their biggest flaw. With Craig, this is the emotional vulnerability and personal stakes. It worked somewhat well at points during his tenure, however I think that after a decade we are ready for a change (just like after Moore we wanted less laughter). So what we need to do now is think about how a new Bond could work similar to how he was reinvented back in 2006. Hmm, let's give that some thought...

Well, I think that Bond has to "play his cards close to his chest" with the next actor. I'm reminded of very early Connery in this regard. Remember during Dr No when Sean comforts Honey, saying "don't worry, I'm scared too." Yet you would never know it from his face. He kept his emotions hidden, not because he was superhero Bond (like Moore) but because he was trained well how to handle situations.

This new idea of Bond, the one I am proposing, has a laser like focus on his mission, and he doesn't allow his emotions to get in the way. Instead he bottles them, and releases the inner tension with the odd acerbic quip, something Dalton had a talent for. This way, it would be both classic and modern. Grouded and slightly fanciful. The best of both worlds. It would take the stuff that worked about the Craig era and reframe it a slicker, more together template.

Aidan Turner, I think, is the best option for this new Bond. Not only does he have the look nailed down, but he provides a new direction with his natural presence. I agree that Aidan Turner is not as good of an actor as Daniel Craig, but when you hire talent you have the added imposition of finding ways to showcase it. That's why Judi Dench became such a large focus throughout her tenure. Point being, the talent can become a distraction. Bond as a role isn't that involved. As long as a Bond actor has it where it counts, that's all that matters. Lazenby is a perfect example of this. Sure he comes off wooden at times, especially with the humour. But when he sits down at that ice rink and pulls his coat up you can see the desperation, the panic under the surface. And that ending is beautifully played by Lazenby, I can't imagine Connery doing a better job. Turner, too, has it where it counts, and I just feel like he is a great visual transformation and an creative response to the stocky, fair haired Craig Bond.
    I think everyone can agree that Craig has had two good outings, except we can't agree on which two. ;)

I have always thought that Craig was very much following in the footsteps of Lazenby, and had more success due to being a better actor and a better presence (although Lazenby didn't lack in that department).

Each Bond actors biggest strength is also their biggest flaw. With Craig, this is the emotional vulnerability and personal stakes. It worked somewhat well at points during his tenure, however I think that after a decade we are ready for a change (just like after Moore we wanted less laughter). So what we need to do now is think about how a new Bond could work similar to how he was reinvented back in 2006. Hmm, let's give that some thought...

Well, I think that Bond has to "play his cards close to his chest" with the next actor. I'm reminded of very early Connery in this regard. Remember during Dr No when Sean comforts Honey, saying "don't worry, I'm scared too." Yet you would never know it from his face. He kept his emotions hidden, not because he was superhero Bond (like Moore) but because he was trained well how to handle situations.

This new idea of Bond, the one I am proposing, has a laser like focus on his mission, and he doesn't allow his emotions to get in the way. Instead he bottles them, and releases the inner tension with the odd acerbic quip, something Dalton had a talent for. This way, it would be both classic and modern. Grouded and slightly fanciful. The best of both worlds. It would take the stuff that worked about the Craig era and reframe it a slicker, more together template.

Aidan Turner, I think, is the best option for this new Bond. Not only does he have the look nailed down, but he provides a new direction with his natural presence. I agree that Aidan Turner is not as good of an actor as Daniel Craig, but when you hire talent you have the added imposition of finding ways to showcase it. That's why Judi Dench became such a large focus throughout her tenure. Point being, the talent can become a distraction. Bond as a role isn't that involved. As long as a Bond actor has it where it counts, that's all that matters. Lazenby is a perfect example of this. Sure he comes off wooden at times, especially with the humour. But when he sits down at that ice rink and pulls his coat up you can see the desperation, the panic under the surface. And that ending is beautifully played by Lazenby, I can't imagine Connery doing a better job. Turner, too, has it where it counts, and I just feel like he is a great visual transformation and an creative response to the stocky, fair haired Craig Bond.

Craig has had 4 good outings.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :D I agree 4 great films, maybe not all perfect, but certainly maintaining a very
    high standard. In fact his four films cover Bond's career from new 00 to burnt
    out agent, and ending with Bond as an " Old Pro" .
    3 great films for me. QOS still remains as the worst Bond film for me. No matter how many times I watch it I can never get into it. IMO it doesn't have that Bond feel to it
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,601
    @Mendes, that was almost a decent post, had you left Turner out of it. Now its just one of your usual ramblings building it up to mention Turner as the ultimate choice and not letting go of the also usual negative comparisons, that seem necessary to let Turner shine. I wonder if he would welcome that.
  • tanaka123 wrote: »
    You all might like to know that in imdb's current poll of who should be the next James Bond, Aidan Turner (whom I had never heard of before this thread) is being soundly beaten by Idris Elba, Emilia Clarke, Danny DeVito, Gillian Anderson, and Jennifer Lawrence, among others. He's pulling just barely ahead of Indian actress and future Baywatch star Priyanka Chopra and Jaime Bell (who may or may not be in Baywatch - I haven't checked). To his credit, Aidan Turner is beating he of Bio-Dome fame, Pauly Shore, and Roger Moore, who in all fairness will be turning 90 next year. So there's hope for Aidan yet!

It's not a democracy.

I know humor can be difficult to translate over the internet, but I'd like to think I did a fairly good job with that post. ;)

And yet when Hiddleston was heavidly rumored you were quieter then a church mouse. Odd

For me The franchise has been pendulum swinging from dark cold literary bond and popcorn film adventure bond and while I prefer the former I understand the later's appeal in much the same way I understand why some people might not like a new actor for 007 or Macgyver or what have you. My owns story with Craig is not unlike a lot of others I have read and I will try to be brief as lord knows Mendes4lyfe will be upset if we gush too much about anyone other then the great Aidan Turner (seriously he is serviceable at best I fail to see the love though to be fair I survived the last serviceable era so I can survive the Turner years should such a thing happen)... In October of 2005 I was 19 and was surpised at the new bond. Someone sent me a pm on IMDB (or troll central as it is known now) who had seen our friends in he north and said "trust me Craig will be just like Dalton" and indeed I was already excited that for the first time I would see a proper Fleming title (which caused me to read the books)... Then as the first trailer came I was blown away this feels like Dalton's bond but in 2006 fantastic. Then I saw the second trailer and was even more impressed then I saw the film and it was an instant classic for me and instantly in my top 5 films.. As for the rest of the era Quantum of Solace caused me to join these forums and more interestingly caused me to write about espionage and how the bond films borrow from real life which I wrote for my senior thesis in college. Then of course life went on and the four years between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall did feel like an eternity (of course I can still remeber Skyfall title being leaked the same day I started working at UBS) but as we come to Skyfall and Spectre I felt the pendulum shifting toward the fun pop corn adventure bond with serious undertones. I liked all of Craig's films but would prefer he go back to the dark serious films. Do I feel Spectre is his last film well no he is signed to Bond 25 and just because Brosnan did four doesn't mean craig has to and Craig inspite of his comments doesn't seem like the kind of guy to not make good on his commitments. Does he need a break from Bond sure of course will there be a "gap" between films more then likely yes (2018 I feel is realistic but I wouldn't put it past them for 2019) but I am ok with that honestly if Craig can do 1-2 more I am happy and would be fine if they came out 2019 and 2021

Again for me it's about the lead up.. The one thing I am hoping for NO MORE S 1 word titles :)
    That would be. " Super !". ;)
    tanaka123 wrote: »

It's not a democracy.

I know humor can be difficult to translate over the internet, but I'd like to think I did a fairly good job with that post. ;)

I've never laughed so hard in my life @Some_Kind_Of_Hero
  • peterpeter Toronto
    A wallpaper I made to support Daniel Craig's hopeful return for B25.

LIXMW0a.png

@AgentJamesBond007

Awesome. Simply awesome.

Add a Fleming title and it will be even better :)
    It is a very Cool wallpaper =D>
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Lots of new posts, lots of new infor--oh, wait, absolutely no new information. Surprise surprise.
    Creasy if you look at spectre's production time line thread there were tons of discissions like that. I would like for MGM to get off their bits and get the distributer picked but meh
    We all would. Just making the same point that everyone else makes...while still continuing to post. That's all.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    We all would. Just making the same point that everyone else makes...while still continuing to post. That's all.
    Funny enough, I had a dream this past night that Warner Bros were chosen as the new distributor. That was the entirety of the dream.
    I dreamt that for a flashback sequence they were getting Stewie Griffin to play the
    young Blofeld. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I dreamt that for a flashback sequence they were getting Stewie Griffin to play the
    young Blofeld. ;)

What the deuce?
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    young Blofeld. ;)

I've dreamt as well that the Americans to support the word bruv and motorbike in 2017.
  • [/quote][/b]

That is a serious misbelief -we are people, who don't know each other and share a certain interest. Yes, some here and on other boards become friends, but that is the exception., And yes, we should be polite with each other, but more polite then we would be in normal life? And with people, who don't give a damn? No Sir, that is unrealistic, I am sorry to say.

I have always been outspoken without dressing it up. Some people like that, other don't. Such is life. ;) [/quote]

You make some very fair points Germanlady! Please continue to not dress it up. :) my comment was partly in jest anyway!

jake24 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Funny enough, I had a dream this past night that Warner Bros were chosen as the new distributor. That was the entirety of the dream.

Speaking of Bond dreams, SF was a good year or so from release and I had a dream one night that the finale of the new one involved Bond in some big house that either blew up or caught on fire, and he had to escape out of a window at some point. Of course, the last bit didn't happen, but it's freaky that so much of that came true, as well.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Reminds me when I had a dream about Bond 24 (then untitled); in my dream the title was Risico and it involved a train rooftop chase (which is weird considering we had one in Skyfall).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Walecs wrote: »
    Reminds me when I had a dream about Bond 24 (then untitled); in my dream the title was Risico and it involved a train rooftop chase (which is weird considering we had one in Skyfall).

Well, there was a train, so you were in the right direction, there.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The last time I had a dream about a Bond film (when Skyfall was still shooting) was in 2012, and I remember Craig and the new Bond Girls emerging from a sea after sinking down a submarine. Although, in my dream I myself was convinced that the film was still shooting and was yet to be released, so it's impossible what I'm seeing is true... And the rest is history. :))
    I once had a dream about Bond in a sword fight around the time of TLD and
    It came true in DAD, I guess I have special powers. :D just not quick ones.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I once had a dream about Bond in a sword fight around the time of TLD and
    It came true in DAD, I guess I have special powers. :D just not quick ones.

Well if you had ever dreamed of Bond parasailing off a tidal wave of water and ice I strongly recommend you don't admit that lol.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,496
    Another day, another rumour.

James Norton on those James Bond rumours
    I remember one Bond dream I had was I actually saw Scaramanga kill miss Anders. He shot her through the back and the bullet came out through her chest. Pretty gruesome.