Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The Shadow (1994). very cool, great Goldsmith soundtrack. Very recommended.
    A highly underrated film! I certainly hold it as one of my all-time favourite superhero films. Every bit of it was overtly fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    X-Men: Apocalypse - Watched this the other night. It was ok but, for me, not up to the standard of Days of Future Past which I fully enjoyed. Didn't think much of Apocalypse if I'm honest.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Woman of Straw. Again.

Easily, this is my favourite performance out of Sean Connery.

This film is excellent. I cant champion this film enough. Connery was a real bastard in this; but he was so damn charmingly cool. Cinema will never have such acting prowess and characterisation like this ever again.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Woman of Straw. Again.

This film is excellent. I cant champion this film enough. Connery was a real bastard in this; but he was so damn charmingly cool. Cinema will never have such acting prowess and characterisation like this ever again.
    I couldn't agree more! He simply played a character against type (his own, at least) and went through it with supreme sophistication without breaking a sweat.

"Do women always do what you ask, Mr. Richmond?"
    "Invariably."

As you said, cinema will never be the same as that.
    Woman of Straw. Again.

I couldn't agree more! He simply played a character against type (his own, at least) and went through it with supreme sophistication without breaking a sweat.

"Invariably."

That entire scene was just magic.
    Woman of Straw. Again.

"Invariably."

That entire scene was just magic.
    I couldn't agree more!! I mean... just look at it... Connery was snobbishly confident, and too damn stylish at the same time. And dare I say, he had the best wardrobe in that film of all the films he did, yes even the Bonds!

3o7qE1GaZ3TWtW4wM0.gif
    edited June 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Yeeessss! Lol

I'll also add he made being rejected look cool. What a performance. Connery was just a star. A real natural movie star. Everything was just so effortless. I need to watch this again tonight.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Connery is just bloody brilliant in everthing ! ^:)^
    Yeeessss! Lol

I'll also add he made being rejected look cool. What a performance. Connery was just a star. A real natural movie star. Everything was just so effortless. I need to watch this again tonight.
    Oh he doesn't take no for an answer. That's what made his Anthony Richmond character too cool. One cool bastard. Then again, it was all down to Connery who enriched the role with his effortless superiority. I also loved the bit when pursued to convince Maria (Gina Lollobridgida) that she had to act natural when her "husband" was dead.

"If you want that money, Maria, he's alive..." (ups the Waltz music volume) "Alive!"

l3UctEqD4xED85U4M.gif
    Friggin' Aye! :D
    The Castle of Cagliostro (1979). Such an awesome movie.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Castle of Cagliostro (1979). Such an awesome movie.
    Agreed. And it had an amazing soundtrack. Great Lupin III feature film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yeeessss! Lol

Oh he doesn't take no for an answer. That's what made his Anthony Richmond character too cool. One cool bastard. Then again, it was all down to Connery who enriched the role with his effortless superiority. I also loved the bit when pursued to convince Maria (Gina Lollobridgida) that she had to act natural when her "husband" was dead.

"If you want that money, Maria, he's alive..." (ups the Waltz music volume) "Alive!"

l3UctEqD4xED85U4M.gif
    The definition of legend in this film. Agreed.

My favourite scene is actually right at the end when the 'game is up' for him. The look of desperation and fear in his face before he attempts to flee is so real. Connery doesn't get enough credit for being an excellent actor. Like Moore, he just makes it look so easy, so he is underestimated.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Hoarder
    A forgettable horror film where a group of strangers are trapped in a storage facility, with someone... or something, picking them off one by one. I watched it for two reasons, 1) Mischa Barton and 2) it's a horror film, but it's not a good example of either. The ending left a nasty taste in my mouth as well, talk about a mean-spirited.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 and @doubleoego (for Nicolas Winding Refn), @DarthDimi and @bondjames (for the style of the film), @MajorDSmythe (for Jena Malone)

The Neon Demon (2016)

One of the most mesmerizing big screen experience I've ever had. First off, the film is absolutely nuts. From a very claustrophobic atmosphere, to scenes of extreme violence and/or of hardcore sexual nature (instance of necrophilia and one of the most disgusting and revolting scene of cannibalism I've seen in a film), to powerhouse performances from Elle Fanning, Jena Malone and a Keanu Reeves who chews the scenery with off-the-charts screen presence (and without much dialogue) , to one of the most electrifying soundtracks I've heard ('chillax' electro music the whole film) to a insanely gorgeous cinematography: the film will either hypnotize you or extremely offend you, but it won't leave you indifferent.

Another highly stylized and unique film from Refn.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2016 Posts: 40,468
    I'm all for offense. Some of the more "beautiful" movies I've seen have been incredibly hardcore in terms of a sexual/violent nature (i.e. the work of Lars Von Trier.) There's a fine line between making it really work on an artistic level ('Antichrist'), and then there's doing it just to be crude or edgy (like 'Hostel').
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yeeessss! Lol

l3UctEqD4xED85U4M.gif

My favourite scene is actually right at the end when the 'game is up' for him. The look of desperation and fear in his face before he attempts to flee is so real. Connery doesn't get enough credit for being an excellent actor. Like Moore, he just makes it look so easy, so he is underestimated.
    @bondjames, is this the one you're referring to? ;)

l46CuePghZJJrNupO.gif
    @Creasy47 and @doubleoego (for Nicolas Winding Refn), @DarthDimi and @bondjames (for the style of the film), @MajorDSmythe (for Jena Malone)

The Neon Demon (2016)

One of the most mesmerizing big screen experience I've ever had. First off, the film is absolutely nuts. From a very claustrophobic atmosphere, to scenes of extreme violence and/or of hardcore sexual nature (instance of necrophilia and one of the most disgusting and revolting scene of cannibalism I've seen in a film), to powerhouse performances from Elle Fanning, Jena Malone and a Keanu Reeves who chews the scenery with off-the-charts screen presence (and without much dialogue) , to one of the most electrifying soundtracks I've heard ('chillax' electro music the whole film) to a insanely gorgeous cinematography: the film will either hypnotize you or extremely offend you, but it won't leave you indifferent.

5598075.gif
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yeeessss! Lol

l3UctEqD4xED85U4M.gif

@bondjames, is this the one you're referring to? ;)

l46CuePghZJJrNupO.gif
    Yep, that's it @ClarkDevlin, and even slightly after that, when he's in the same frame as the superintendant, and the sweat is visibly dripping off him. I just love this film and his performance. Gina's not bad either.

When I last watched the film about six months ago, I realized, no matter how good Craig is, Connery rules from a great height.

Love him in Marnie too. Just all out class.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

The Neon Demon (2016)

I'm even more intrigued to see The Neon Demon now.
    Deadpool I laughed more than I have watching so called comedies in recent years, this film is great fun highly recommend. Not the Dirty Harry film ;))
    Deadpool I laughed more than I have watching so called comedies in recent years, this film is great fun highly recommend. Not the Dirty Harry film ;))

I just watched it too and you are spot on. Excellent film.

001 wrote: »

I just watched it too and you are spot on. Excellent film.
    Glad, you chaps, enjoyed it. It was rather fun, and very truthful to its source material.
    Great to see a film not take itself so serious, the genre joke's in Deadpool are very funny... rewatch impending. :-bd
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    edited June 2016 Posts: 279
    Finally caught up with Spielberg's 'Bridge Of Spies' (2015) the other night, giving it the big (well, biggish) screen treatment via my HD projector. The only reason why I didn't see it at the flicks was that it was on at the same time as SP - and going to see a film knowing that Daniel was doing his stuff in an adjoining auditorium would have been simply unbearable! Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it (as I fully expected). Superbly directed (one would expect nothing less) by the mighty 'Berg and (again not surprisingly) featuring a tremendous lead performance by Tom Hanks. The only downside was the lack of a John Williams score - insult being added to injury by Thomas Newman's perfunctory and instantly forgettable music. Thank heavens SS and JW have re-united for 'The BFG'.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I need to catch up on 'Creed', 'Bridge of Spies', 'Spotlight', 'The Martian' and 'The Big Short' - I have the blu ray for all 5 of them but didn't take the time to watch these films yet.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched Where Eagles Dare, again great war/espionage film. :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Re-watched Bronenosets Potyomkin aka Battleship Potemkin. Amazing how this 91-year old film still surprises. The legendary Odessa staircase scene is to this day one of THE moments in cinematic history.

However, not to forget the other four parts that consist of wonderfully composed shots such as this one:http://www.classicartfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Battleship-1.jpg, and amazing close-up shots such as this one: https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Archive/Search/2011/5/26/1306403750895/Battleship-Potemkin-1925-007.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I need to catch up on 'Creed', 'Bridge of Spies', 'Spotlight', 'The Martian' and 'The Big Short' - I have the blu ray for all 5 of them but didn't take the time to watch these films yet.

And Dredd. Don t forget Dredd.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

And Dredd. Don t forget Dredd.
    Thanks again @Thunderfinger, I do need to see that one. ;)