Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @DaltonCraig007, it is just the kind of film you will fall in love with.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 12,273
    The Crow (1994). A special film to me and a friend of mine.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

apocalypse-dream-meaning1.jpg

As a long-time X-Men fan, I really appreciate X:A, though I find it a slightly weaker effort - and I'm mincing words here - than X:FC and X:DOFP. But the fact that X:A isn't quite as action driven as, say, THE WOLVERINE or even X2 isn't necessarily a problem for me. The comic book has always been about the message of coping with one's differences in a world where such differences aren't tolerated by most and consequently of struggling with the choice of who to follow: Martin Luther King (Xavier) or Malcolm X (Magneto). Action and spectacle are present in the comic book, but both the causes and consequences of the fights are heavily intellectualised and morally, ethically and politically framed. This aspect of the comics was, fortunately, kept intact in most of the X-MEN films. One of the differences with the Avengers movies therefore is, at least in my opinion, that the X-MEN films overall do not seek action beats for the sake of the action but rather only when needed to propel the story, with only the occasional "just for fun" action scene thrown in the mix.

Ergo, I don't mind X:A being more of a "talky" than a "fighty". I do, however, regret the lack of a strong connective tissue for all the scenes which, individually, are great and offer great character moments. The continuity with the first couple of films in the series is all chopped up anyway but ever since X: DOFP that isn't too big a deal (even if I have to assume that the X-gene protects muties from ageing too. ;-)). Still, the plot jumps left and right on the wings of a couple of truly memorable scenes, but fails to get me pumped up for the climax which, despite the film's vastly bigger budget, isn't all that much more grandiose than the climax in DEADPOOL. Also, the notorious cameo? Yeah, it left me rather unimpressed.

That is not to say I'm not happy with the film. I like the cast, the music (welcome back, John Ottman) and most of the story. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much after the (IMO) brilliant X:FC and X:DOFP. Still, the truth is I'm very excited about next year's WOLVERINE 3 and whatever else Fox has prepared for us. But I'm only going to recommend X:A to the X-Men fan.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Dark Knight, I do love a bit of the Bat......... modesty prevents me from saying which. :D
    A truly fantastic performance by Heath Ledger as The Joker.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Day of the Dead.

Absolutely love the Dead trilogy, and this might be my favourite.
    Some Adam McKay movies:

Step Brothers (2008)
    Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (2004)
    Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013)

The cameos in Anchorman 2 include Harrison Ford, Kirsten Dunst, Marion Cotillard, Will Smith, Liam Neeson, etc., so I assume everyone loves McKay and is happy to do even a crazy one minute role in a movie of his. Or he mercilessly blackmails people over... something. I think it's the former, but that may be just my bias speaking. I like him more than most of his movies, but they certainly have their charms. Complete bonkers stuff mixed with intelligent observations and criticism, which is kinda fascinating. (Well, Step Brothers was mostly just bonkers, but hey...)

Grave Of The Fireflies (1988)
    Japanese animated war drama. Excellent and beautiful.

Finally caught up with Spielberg's 'Bridge Of Spies' (2015) the other night, giving it the big (well, biggish) screen treatment via my HD projector. The only reason why I didn't see it at the flicks was that it was on at the same time as SP - and going to see a film knowing that Daniel was doing his stuff in an adjoining auditorium would have been simply unbearable! Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it (as I fully expected). Superbly directed (one would expect nothing less) by the mighty 'Berg and (again not surprisingly) featuring a tremendous lead performance by Tom Hanks. The only downside was the lack of a John Williams score - insult being added to injury by Thomas Newman's perfunctory and instantly forgettable music. Thank heavens SS and JW have re-united for 'The BFG'.

I am sorry but I keep wondering how Newman keeps getting work in the run up to Skyfall i heard nothing that impressed me and while both his Skyfall and Spectre scores have some good tracks but for the most part it's extremly weak and makes David Arnold look brilliant (god I hope he returns for bond 25)

Out of curiosity post bridge of spies do you think Spielberg could do bond?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Mask of Zorro (1998):

This is simply, indubitably and inimitably one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. I wouldn't have done it any other way, it's one of the films I hold in the mantle of perfection (alongside Casablanca, The Count of Monte Cristo, etc). I love every single moment of it I can't get tired of it. I am truly grateful that it was Martin Campbell who directed it and not the godawful Robert Rodriguez who was going to be on the helm as originally picked. While Banderas and Zeta-Jones are exceptionals, along with the rest of the cast being outstandingly amazing, Anthony Hopkins just OWNS it. The whole film is just his. And to be honest, I could've imagined Connery in his role as it was originally offered to him, but Hopkins just... delivers that utterly upper-class gentleman style rogue Don Diego de la Vega in an absolutely fantastic interpretation... As if it was the Scarlet Pimpernel of Spain/Mexico/California. Wow. As rated before: 10/10.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Beasts of no Nation (2015)

This movie has now surpassed 'Munich' as my all time favorite film. I loved the film 10 times more with this latest rewatch. A total out-of-body experience. Cary Fukunaga is a genius director, the cinematography and soundtrack are jaw-dropping (some scenes, like the bridge assault, are out of this world and I'd rank them as the most impressive scenes I've ever seen). Idris Elba gives a career defining performance, and the actor who plays Ugu, even at his young age, has nothing to envy about any top-level Hollywood talents. This kid is going places. 'Beasts of no Nation' is not only my new favorite film, but it is the most impressive cinematic experience I've ever had.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 6,791
    @ClarkDevlin Also one of my favourites. It's an exciting, funny and engaging old-fashioned swashbuckler. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

It helps that I grew up watching two different Zorro series on a regular basis. Possibly my second favourite hero after James Bond.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, that's quite the choice! Very, very powerful movie, looking forward to watching it again myself, whenever that is.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin Also one of my favourites. It's an exciting, funny and engaging old-fashioned swashbuckler. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

It helps that I grew up watching two different Zorro series on a regular basis. Possibly my second favourite hero after James Bond.
    Indeed, @GoldenGun. They don't make 'em like these anymore. How Bond would've put it? "It's a lost art!" Nowadays, everything relies on cliches. There are tonnes of revenge stories out there, and this one, alongside Monte Cristo (2002) (which I also believe that was inspired by this and vice versa, just look at the names of the villains: Montero and Mondego), is one of the few that got a beautiful story and lovely portrayal of the genre.

Now, as for Zorro, while I do love both Hopkins and Banderas in the role, the image of the hero that I have in mind will always be that of Guy Williams. He portrayed the definitive Zorro/Don Diego de la Vega.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    MI-RN (2015)

I was in the mood for something action oriented, & so put in my favourite film from 2015. It lived up to expectations and then some. This is unquestionably, for me, the best 'Bond' film I've seen in years that isn't a Bond film. It reminds me so much of the great EON productions of yore (especially TSWLM) and evokes them in many ways. This is adrenaline filled action from start to finish, with a tight plot, & a superior cast who give pitch perfect performances throughout. Rebecca Ferguson is incredible in the role of Ilsa Faust, and I'm ecstatic that she is returning. Cruise exceeded my unrealistically high (after MI-GP) expectations last year and delivered a master class action thriller. I commend him, and can't wait for the next one!
    @ClarkDevlin Yes! Guy Williams just about created my childhood alongside the Thunderbirds brothers and Tintin :)) Though I also enjoyed the show with Duncan Regehr. Always happy to see other Zorro fans, next to Bond it's the most stylish hero ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Pontypool (2008) and 300 (2007).

'Pontypool' is a very low budget Canadian horror film, and it's one of my favorites of the genre. Highly original take on zombies outbreak, and featuring a powerhouse performance from Stephen McHattie. The movie has me guessing the whole way until the climax hits me like a cannon ball.

As for '300', I actually hadn't seen the film since its release 9 years ago, so I rediscovered this epic film. Impressive CGI, Gerard Butler hamming it up and being a total badass, and fantastic battle sequences. 1 hour and 50 minutes of pure badassery and entertainment.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Nice Guys (2016)

I've been meaning to see this for some time. Finally got round to it and what a blast it was! Laughs from start to finish. Ryan Gosling is superb as down on his luck private eye Holland March (what a name!) & Russell Crowe is magnificent as enforcer Jackson Healy (again, great name!), but the star of the show for me is Angourie Rice as March's daughter Holly. This kid is going places, I can assure you. She has a screen maturity beyond her years.

If you liked classics like Get Shorty, Out of Sight (both Elmore Leonard pieces), The Limey or The Underneath (both Steven Soderbergh) or 2 Days in the Valley, then you'll probably love this film.

It showcases Los Angeles in a unique way, but also powers along on the charisma (and chemistry) of its stars, great humour and a unique vision. I hope we get a sequel.

Recommended
    @DaltonCraig007 May I suggest "The Editor". Also a low budget Canadian horror film. It pays tribute to the Italian giallo films.
    Thanks, @GoldenGun! Always on the lookout for low budget horror films. :)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,422
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

As a long-time X-Men fan, I really appreciate X:A, though I find it a slightly weaker effort - and I'm mincing words here - than X:FC and X:DOFP. But the fact that X:A isn't quite as action driven as, say, THE WOLVERINE or even X2 isn't necessarily a problem for me. The comic book has always been about the message of coping with one's differences in a world where such differences aren't tolerated by most and consequently of struggling with the choice of who to follow: Martin Luther King (Xavier) or Malcolm X (Magneto). Action and spectacle are present in the comic book, but both the causes and consequences of the fights are heavily intellectualised and morally, ethically and politically framed. This aspect of the comics was, fortunately, kept intact in most of the X-MEN films. One of the differences with the Avengers movies therefore is, at least in my opinion, that the X-MEN films overall do not seek action beats for the sake of the action but rather only when needed to propel the story, with only the occasional "just for fun" action scene thrown in the mix.

Ergo, I don't mind X:A being more of a "talky" than a "fighty". I do, however, regret the lack of a strong connective tissue for all the scenes which, individually, are great and offer great character moments.[/b] The continuity with the first couple of films in the series is all chopped up anyway but ever since X: DOFP that isn't too big a deal (even if I have to assume that the X-gene protects muties from ageing too. ;-)). Still, the plot jumps left and right on the wings of a couple of truly memorable scenes, but fails to get me pumped up for the climax which, despite the film's vastly bigger budget, isn't all that much more grandiose than the climax in DEADPOOL. Also, the notorious cameo? Yeah, it left me rather unimpressed.

That is not to say I'm not happy with the film. I like the cast, the music (welcome back, John Ottman) and most of the story. Perhaps I'm just expecting too much after the (IMO) brilliant X:FC and X:DOFP. Still, the truth is I'm very excited about next year's WOLVERINE 3 and whatever else Fox has prepared for us. But I'm only going to recommend X:A to the X-Men fan.

I was surprised and frankly delighted that it was more "talky". A good movie, yet not on standard of the previous two, FC and DoFP. And Nightcrawler was a nice bit of comic relief.

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Alice Through The Looking Glass - not on the same level as the first one, kids enjoyed it though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Beasts of no Nation (2015)

This movie has now surpassed 'Munich' as my all time favorite film. I loved the film 10 times more with this latest rewatch. A total out-of-body experience. Cary Fukunaga is a genius director, the cinematography and soundtrack are jaw-dropping (some scenes, like the bridge assault, are out of this world and I'd rank them as the most impressive scenes I've ever seen). Idris Elba gives a career defining performance, and the actor who plays Ugu, even at his young age, has nothing to envy about any top-level Hollywood talents. This kid is going places. 'Beasts of no Nation' is not only my new favorite film, but it is the most impressive cinematic experience I've ever had.

That's a pleasantly surprising revelation.

BoNn is an amazing film; powerful and brilliantly acted. The lack of award recognition for this film was criminal and Elba was superb in this.

People, here especially don't want Elba cast as Bond for reasons as long as my arm but to be honest, I think he'd be wasted as Bond if for whatever reason he was offered the role. He'd make a better, spectacular and memorable Bond villain. His performance in this channeled the intensity he brought to the role of Stringer Bell in the wire.

Anyway, the African actors, especially the main kid did a magnificent job and everything they went through and the post trauma of it all was some of the best stuff captured on film. I definitely need to see it again soon.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Birdleson,
    I couldn't agree more. I think the film that stars Val Kilmer - who reportedly wiped out an entire species of extremely rare ants all by himself during filming - is a fascinating misstep which commands my every WTF response!

Having kicked off another personal Michael Mann retrospective - and I already did one in this thread several years ago so I won't go all that deep this time - I've re-watched:

THIEF

960.jpg

Mann made his theatrical debut in 1981 with THIEF. Where many filmmakers struggle with finding their 'true inner voice' as artists, Mann already hit the nail on the head with his first cinematic effort. A near perfect cast, brilliant score, fascinating cinematography including a marvellous colour pallet for the nocturnal shots, and amazingly well written dialogues... THIEF is a collection of "greats" and "superbs". What a fascinating way to begin a career!
    'Thief' is such a fantastic movie. The soundtrack, heists, and that great finale are standout moments.
    My favourite Michael Mann project is probably Miami Vice.

Serious or sarcastic? Because that one gets a lot of flak, but I love it and it's one of my favorites.
    Collateral will always remain my favourite Michael Mann film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Serious or sarcastic? Because that one gets a lot of flak, but I love it and it's one of my favorites.

No, I am serious.
    'Heat' is my all-time favorite of his, I don't think it'll ever be topped. 'Collateral' is another fantastic one, Cruise and Foxx are great in that, and the nightclub sequence is too good.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Collateral' is another fantastic one, Cruise and Foxx are great in that, and the nightclub sequence is too good.
    Especially with some strong Paul Oakenfold music playing in the background. :D
    'Ready Steady Go' is a standout track for that scene! Anytime I catch that song in another movie or a show, I always think of that nightclub sequence.