Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just played your link, goosebumps for the opening notes a understatement nothing beats that.
    Oh do tell! Do tell! :D

Every time I complete a draft for my Spaghetti Western screenplay, I listen to that track specifically for starters.
    Just played your link, goosebumps for the opening notes a understatement nothing beats that.
    Oh do tell! Do tell! :D

Every time I complete a draft for my Spaghetti Western screenplay, I listen to that track specifically for starters.

Great inspiration for establishing mood no doubt, never attempted a screen play myself though written several books.

Interstellar (2014). Paused to get some food. So far, I'm liking it a lot.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Interstellar (2014). Paused to get some food. So far, I'm liking it a lot.

The IMAX scenes are phenomenal.

@ClarkDevlin just watched the final confrontation of The Good the Bad and the Ugly for the sixth time in a row, from the moment Blonde steps into the Arena I am not sure anything in cinema tops this.
    Finished it up Interstellar (2014). Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to; it's actually one of my favorite Nolan films now, sitting just behind the Batman films and The Prestige. Personally not a big fan of Inception or Memento.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think Inception is still my favourite Nolan film.
    @ClarkDevlin just watched the final confrontation of The Good the Bad and the Ugly for the sixth time in a row, from the moment Blonde steps into the Arena I am not sure anything in cinema tops this.
    Definitely, @fire_and_ice! The scene itself was originally lifted from the one in For A Few Dollars More in its roots, and taken to eleven in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Stellar writing, spectacular direction, cinematography, editing, music, acting performance, mindblowing material! The moment Blondie/The Man With No Name placed the stone in the middle of the arena, the guitar slowly started playing the climactic music, it was just... SPECTACULAR!

Like you said, nothing tops this in the film industry. I do remember my father telling me that people in the cinema clapped their hands with high applause as the film itself came to its end, with the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly playing... I just imagined the moment for a second, and I know I would've been part of the crowd! :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Watcher (2000)

I purchased this film as part of a 4-pack that also includes Fear (looking forward to seeing that one again), Raising Cain, & A Kiss Before Dying.

It stars Keanu Reeves as David Griffin, a sadistic killer, & James Spader as Joel Campbell, a recovering alcoholic cop who he torments. The lovely Marisa Tomei stars as a Dr. Polly Beilman, a psychologist who is treating Spader for behavioural issues.

At the start of the film, we learn that Campbell quit his job and moved to Chicago, on account of having failed to save a victim from being killed by Griffin in L.A. He is guilt-ridden. Griffin follows Campbell to Chicago and starts to kill again, but leaves clues for the cop ahead of time, giving him an opportunity to save the victims. The film basically follows this cat and mouse game, and as expected in the end all's well that ends well, and the good guys win.

The performances by Spader and Tomei (both favourites of mine) are excellent as expected. Reeves demonstrates, as he always does, that he is a terribly wooden actor with zero range or facial expressions. Nevertheless, his is not a very taxing role, so he's tolerable.

It's worth a watch, if you like murder thrillers (I do) but it's quite predictable fare and has been done better before and elsewhere.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Dad's Army remake, just made me nostalgic for the old series, as they did it
    so much better. Although it was fantastic to see Frank Williams still able to play
    the vicar.
    Definitely, @fire_and_ice! The scene itself was originally lifted from the one in For A Few Dollars More in its roots, and taken to eleven in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Stellar writing, spectacular direction, cinematography, editing, music, acting performance, mindblowing material! The moment Blondie/The Man With No Name placed the stone in the middle of the arena, the guitar slowly started playing the climactic music, it was just... SPECTACULAR!

Like you said, nothing tops this in the film industry. I do remember my father telling me that people in the cinema clapped their hands with high applause as the film itself came to its end, with the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly playing... I just imagined the moment for a second, and I know I would've been part of the crowd! :D

I need to revisit the other Dollars trilogy movies, your father is very lucky I would love to have the opportunity to watch TGTBATU in the cinema.

I need to revisit the other Dollars trilogy movies, your father is very lucky I would love to have the opportunity to watch TGTBATU in the cinema.
    Oh, I'd love that, too! Especially when my younger cousins (9 and 10 year olds) do love an adventure-driven movie, I'd be taking them to see the film. I was 12 years old when I saw the film and was blown away.
    Sorry for the double post.

I've just seen Urge. The new film that features Pierce Brosnan.

It goes from an erotic thriller to a supernatural horror (by the time the third act comes to near end, someway). It's just cheap. I mean, the story as a whole couldn't have been done in any other way as long as the plot was set. It's just trying to send people a message in a way. Some mainstream movies interpret it as a zombie virus, whereas this one looks at the apocalyptic matter in a realistic way.

Gone and forgotten. Next.
    The Longest Day (1962)

Good if a bit long.
    Just back from a screening of Shane Black's new movie The Nice Guys. What a great comic thriller. Similar in tone to Black's earlier film Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but probably funnier, with a wonderfully comic turn from Ryan Gosling. Russell Crowe is the best he's been for a while too. The kind of film they just dont make that often anymore. A grown up movie for grown up's.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Just back from a screening of Shane Black's new movie The Nice Guys. What a great comic thriller. Similar in tone to Black's earlier film Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but probably funnier, with a wonderfully comic turn from Ryan Gosling. Russell Crowe is the best he's been for a while too. The kind of film they just dont make that often anymore. A grown up movie for grown up's.

Yes. There has been literally nothing else in my local theatre in recent weeks that has interested me, and the summer (as usual) doesn't look promising. Not that all kinds of movies don't get made, they just have trouble fitting in theatres, what with all the comic book/superhero movies, animated movies and crap like Mother's Day and Neighbours 2.

I hope it'll make enough money for another movie to be made. Gosling is indeed a great comic talent and one of the most versatile actors around, and I've always liked Crowe. I enjoyed it a lot.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I have the Dr Manhattan collectors edition BD, though I have yet to see the directors cut. I have the animated film Tales of the black freighter, is that incorporated into the directors cut?

It's not but I believe you see it in comic book form a couple of times.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The American

Eurgh, just awful.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The American

Eurgh, just awful.

Too slow/dull for you, I'm assuming? Corbijn's films aren't for everyone.
    The American

Eurgh, just awful.
    It wasn't that bad... It was a subconscious remake of James Coburn's Hard Contract.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Iron Man (blu ray)- wow, where it all started, and still the best. Winter Soldier is a CLOSE #2 IMHO.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Iron Man (blu ray)- wow, where it all started, and still the best. Winter Soldier is a CLOSE #2 IMHO.
    Loved Iron Man 2. Scarlett Johansson really made the film for me... Seeing as I'm a massive fan of The Black Widow.
    The Raven.

Creepy but quite good why is This movie never discussed the cast of great the direction is solid the script is good I do find Cusack to be an underated actor I plan on picking up The Number station (his spy thriller film seems every actor has one) I also own but haven't seen The Factory...

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Loved Iron Man 2. Scarlett Johansson really made the film for me... Seeing as I'm a massive of The Black Widow.
    Just finished watching IM2- she was a fantastic plus to an already cool movie!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Martian

Been on my list to see for ages. finally caught up with the Bluray.

Excellent film. Not sure of it's re-watch value but I enjoyed it a lot.

Good performances all round and Mars was rendered beautifully.

Not sure how accurate the science is in the film (I do know some polythene and gaffer tape would not secure an airlock!) but it a lot of it seemed plausible enough.

Matt Damon's always good value whatever he's in.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    13 Assassins (2010)

Holy sh*t! One of the most satisfying ways I've spent 2 hours and 15 minutes in my life. Absolutely fantastic. That final battle, which goes on for about 40 minutes, goes straight in my top 5, maybe even top 3 most intense, bloody, violent, and downright epic action scene I've ever seen. The entire cast are the very definition of badass and charisma. Jesus christ, I already want to see this film again! Damn these asians are good. Between this, 'The Man from Nowhere' and 'I Saw The Devil', those guys totally owned that year in cinema (2010).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @DaltonCraig007, I would've recommended that one long ago had I known you'd never seen it! That finale is something else.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 I actually googled '13 Assassins' and 'mi6community' to see if anyone had seen it, and it sent me to the review you made of it in 2013 in this very thread.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    La Grande Bellezza, aka The Great Beauty.

One of the best films I've ever seen. A modern take on Fellni's La Dolce Vita if you will, with stunning cinematography and Tony Servillo's unforgettable performance.

Note to Spectre's crew: this is how you put Rome on film.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    After discovering '13 Assassins' last night, I needed some more badass movies I had never seen before, so I just finished a double bill of:

Predator (1987) and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

God damn, this was awesome. 'Predator' is one of the most fun films I've ever seen. Arnie is the king of badasses in this one, and mixed with intense action scenes and tons of one liners, I had a blast for the whole runtime. As for 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang', I've seen 'The Nice Guys' a few weeks ago, and I had the same level of fun with this film. Tons of humour, violence, a killer soundtrack, fantastic plot and powerhouse performances from Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr.