Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondsum wrote: »
    001 wrote: »
    A fistful of dollars.
    Great film and music and more.........
    Yes. Very stylish. A magnificent film that set the path for the rest of the Spaghetti Westerns.

I don't think the film would be as good as it is without Clint. Probably would have failed.
    He's amazing in the film.

I'm sure you think the same ?

Definitely! But, if it wasn't for Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone, as well, the film wouldn't have fared well, either. The trio is the reason The Dollars Trilogy is critically acclaimed and commercially successful.

It's a shame that Clint didn't do a fourth one, though.

I'll just add that the The Dollars Trilogy were not originally critically acclaimed, but in fact scored poorly with American critics at the time. Europe was a different matter, but the 60's critics of America didn't take too kindly to the way the Italian/Spanish/German productions were presenting their cherished history. Of course, much like Bladerunner and Carpenter's The Thing, retrospectively these movies have been reassessed and the original poor reviews forgotten.
    Indeed. Fistful of Dollars did get a lot of backlash. And Morricone's score was panned. They hated the violence in the film. That's, of course, coming from the critics at the time. But, people loved it... Especially, as I've read, red-blooded and hot-headed Vietnam veterans who wanted to see some aggression... Something along the lines...

It wasn't until sometime later that their criticism has been reconsidered and repealed.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Them (1954)
    Old sci-fi movie about Giant ants in New Mexico, One of my favourite old
    monster movies. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,566
    'The Seven-Ups'

Finally got around to watching it, and it was pretty damn good. A little slow at times, but Scheider and that brilliant, fast-paced car chase beautifully makes up for it. I like the comparisons to 'The French Connection,' considering it has the same actor, director, composer, etc. I was waiting for a similarly ominous ending (akin to 'The French Connection'), but what we got was just as interesting. The shot of Scheider blasting out of that house and taking off after the burnt henchman on foot was a good one, as is what comes next.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Them (1954)
    Old sci-fi movie about Giant ants in New Mexico, One of my favourite old
    monster movies. :)
    One of the all time great Sci Fi, along with Forbidden Planet and War of the Worlds from that era one of my favourites. The atmosphere to that film is incredible, Edmund Gwenn is brilliant as always. On the Forbidden Planet special edition BD there are some excellent documentarys with Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron and a plethora of top directors discussing the likes of Them and the influence that era had on them as film makers. It's a must buy for Sci Fi fans.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Thunderpussy,

THEM is a true classic. Don't ever watch that awful EMPIRE OF THE ANTS unless you want to laugh your brains out. THEM is the one that matters.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :D caught Empire of the ants late one night, a double bill with
    Kingdom of the spiders.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Continuing on with my Hitchcock filmathon....VERTIGO (1958)

Another Hitchcock masterpiece. A slower first half, but from "Madeleine's" death onwards, it doesn't put a foot wrong. It always impresses me how wonderfully shot SF is in this film.
    1) REAR WINDOW
    2) NORTH BY NORTHWEST
    3) VERTIGO
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Continuing on with my Hitchcock filmathon....VERTIGO (1958)

Another Hitchcock masterpiece. A slower first half, but from "Madeleine's" death onwards, it doesn't put a foot wrong. It always impresses me how wonderfully shot SF is in this film.
    1) REAR WINDOW
    2) NORTH BY NORTHWEST
    3) VERTIGO
    I agree. I watched it recently (have only seen it once before) and I was amazed at how beautiful the city looks. Excellent cinematography.
    Captain America: Civil War second viewing good film, a few things I was not sure about after first viewing were cleared up. The Directors quite obviously made a conscious effort, or rather the writers... to tie up loose ends.

Once upon a time in the West every time I watch this masterpiece my first thoughts are, is this the greatest film ever made.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,015
    [quote="fire_and_ice;597038
    [Once upon a time in the West every time I watch this masterpiece my first thoughts are, is this the greatest film ever made.[/quote]

Just seeing that title and I here the harmonica in my head. :)

• edited May 2016 Posts: 3,336
    My favourite western. The direction and score is perfect.
    My favorite would have to be Rio Bravo (though admittedly I haven't seen a ton of Westerns) but I sure love Once Upon a Time in the West too!
    Bronson looked badass without that 'stache!
    My favorite would have to be Rio Bravo (though admittedly I haven't seen a ton of Westerns) but I sure love Once Upon a Time in the West too!

Great pick. Rio Bravo is perhaps in my top 3.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I have a major soft spot for super hero flicks and this reboot of the Toby Maguire trilogy happens to be one of my favorites. Loved every minute of it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Chef. Wow, I cannot recommend this tiny gem highly enough. MUST see is all I can say. Aside from an early dead pig body moment (yuck!) this movie is totally engaging.
    Written, starred in & directed by the director of Iron Man!!!!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    jake24 wrote: »
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I have a major soft spot for super hero flicks and this reboot of the Toby Maguire trilogy happens to be one of my favorites. Loved every minute of it.

One of the best superhero movies ever.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    talos7 wrote: »

One of the best superhero movies ever.

"This is really heavy."

Awesome. \m/
    Peggy Sue Got Married (1986). Decent film.
    bondsum wrote: »
    A fistful of dollars.
    Great film and music and more.........
    Yes. Very stylish. A magnificent film that set the path for the rest of the Spaghetti Westerns.

I don't think the film would be as good as it is without Clint. Probably would have failed.
    He's amazing in the film.

I'm sure you think the same ?

Definitely! But, if it wasn't for Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone, as well, the film wouldn't have fared well, either. The trio is the reason The Dollars Trilogy is critically acclaimed and commercially successful.

It's a shame that Clint didn't do a fourth one, though.

I'll just add that the The Dollars Trilogy were not originally critically acclaimed, but in fact scored poorly with American critics at the time. Europe was a different matter, but the 60's critics of America didn't take too kindly to the way the Italian/Spanish/German productions were presenting their cherished history. Of course, much like Bladerunner and Carpenter's The Thing, retrospectively these movies have been reassessed and the original poor reviews forgotten.
    Indeed. Fistful of Dollars did get a lot of backlash. And Morricone's score was panned. They hated the violence in the film. That's, of course, coming from the critics at the time. But, people loved it... Especially, as I've read, red-blooded and hot-headed Vietnam veterans who wanted to see some aggression... Something along the lines...

It wasn't until sometime later that their criticism has been reconsidered and repealed.
    Agreed. In fact, Eastwood suffered greatly throughout his career at the hands of the American critics, it wasn't just the Dollars Trilogy that they disliked. But yes, A Fistful of Dollars became a word-of-mouth movie, firstly in Italy, then throughout Europe. I also read that some Americans would actually travel to Europe to see the two early Westerns as they had yet to be released in the US for quite a number of years, until UA picked up the distribution deal, that is. Now that's film buff dedication for you.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Continuing with the Steve Carell movies... I like the guy, but unfortunately he has clearly mostly been in, um, not very good movies. Anyway...

Bruce Almighty (2003)
    Mostly a Jim Carrey show, unfortunately. Pretty awful and unfunny.

Evan Almighty (2007)
    Carell as the lead in this, which in itself was an improvement, and the movie isn't quite as bad, either, but still, well... it's bad.

Horton Hears A Who! (2008)
    Carrey and Carell as well, but the movie is animated. Not good, either.

Get Smart (2008)
    A silly spy comedy that isn't funny.

Dinner For Schmucks (2010)
    Looking at the wonderful title sequence with mouse panoramas at the start I was thinking "I bet it will go downhill from here, then." Pretty much that, yeah... Why does Paul Rudd get movie work? Lead roles even? Geez. He reminds me of Ben Affleck a bit, but is worse.

Hope Springs (2012)
    The couple (Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones) whose marriage isn't what it used to be, and they end up trying marriage counselling (the doctor is played by Carell). Surprisingly serious and further than mere surface chitchat on the issues. Still, felt a bit lacking for me somehow. A good effort though, considering the subject.

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World (2012)
    A pretty serious fair this one, but kinda weird, and wasn't, imo, believably executed... starting from the writing.

Continuing with Cillian Murphy's work, too ...

Broken (2012)
    When all sorts of **** happens and several people are horrible to each other and the rest are trying to survive... Depressing and sort of terrible a lot of the time, but actually a pretty good movie. A good cast - young Eloise Laurence, Tim Roth, Murphy, etc. - to my surprise even Rory Kinnear was good.

Peaky Blinders season 1 + 2 (each 6 episodes)
    A good series with a big and excellent cast, Murphy as the lead. Also has Helen McCrory, Sam Neill, Annabelle Wallis, Tom Hardy & Charlotte Riley, etc.

Watching The Detectives (2007)
    Well... Lucy Liu was annoying and the movie is not that great, but it was watchable.

Sunshine (2007)
    A sci-fi thriller directed by Danny Boyle, written by Alex Garland. Some of it looked very good - some did not, but oh well... The story was okay, if somewhat too familiar in many ways. The cast was pretty uneven. Very relieved that Murphy's character didn't get killed off early on - he was the most interesting one and he's a proper actor. Some of the others... well, let's say I was quite pleased about one casualty; I literally thought "good riddance" - I can't imagine how that guy ever got cast in the first place, he was embarrassingly bad, whatever his name was.

Sunshine (1999)
    A historical drama about generations of one Jewish family in Hungary. Directed by István Szabó. Ralph Fiennes plays the main character in 3 different generations. Other actors include Jennifer Ehle, Rosemary Harris, Rachel Weisz, Mark Strong and William Hurt. About 3 hours so there was time to eventually conclude that it was better than it first appeared to be... actually pretty good, and had more to say than first appeared as well.

Newsies (1992)
    The story is loosely based on real events - kids selling newspapers in new York going on strike in 1899. I can't quite believe Disney made a musical of that. Not a great movie or anything, but has its charms, and I was grinning pretty much all the way through - and continuing grinning when watching the extras. This is sort of sweet and positive despite its flaws. And I can see why it eventually became beloved and gained fans when released on home video.
    Christian Bale doesn't like musicals, and is not likely to ever do another, but hey, it's good to do varied stuff... and probably this wasn't a bad experience. And he can move and hold a tune. (I don't know if he still attacks directors with water guns, but I wouldn't be surprised...) Some of the other kids were pretty good in this, and I tried to check what they've done since... most: nothing of note, a pity. Bill Pullman was fine in this. Ann-Margret was in it, too. And Robert Duvall, wow - though sadly (or fortunately?) he didn't sing or dance. (And I think he was pretty bad...)
    On the whole I enjoyed it. :D
    talos7 wrote: »
    [quote="fire_and_ice;597038
    [Once upon a time in the West every time I watch this masterpiece my first thoughts are, is this the greatest film ever made.

Just seeing that title and I here the harmonica in my head. :)

[/quote]

The opening sequence at the rail station is some of the greatest shots ever, Harmonicas theme is ominous.

Not the biggest John Wayne fan though The Searchers is very good. Also I remember enjoying The Sons of Katie Elder I think Dean Martin is in that one.

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Watched a few lately:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Twilight Zone: The Movie
    The Flash (TV pilot movie)
    Fant4stic
    X-Men: Days Of Future Past
    Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Joe Kraemer to score a Bond movie please)
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I have a major soft spot for super hero flicks and this reboot of the Tobey Maguire trilogy happens to be one of my favorites. Loved every minute of it.
    Are you referring to the reboot or the original with Tobey and Dr. Octopus? If the reboot then I wasn't too keen on it, but the Tobey one is a classic imho.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I have a major soft spot for super hero flicks and this reboot of the Tobey Maguire trilogy happens to be one of my favorites. Loved every minute of it.
    Are you referring to the reboot or the original with Tobey and Dr. Octopus? If the reboot then I wasn't too keen on it, but the Tobey one is a classic imho.
    I very much prefer Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man. But, Tom Holland's ranking increased too much with little screen-time, he could be surpassing Maguire on my list. Never liked Andrew whatshisname in these Amazing Spider-Man films.
    Spider-Man 2 is superb the extended version even better, the train sequence is longer and more spectacular.
    Ah yes the train scene. For a brief moment I had forgotten all about Brosnan's pain face!

EABg2dL.gif

;)
    Tobeys Spiderman often looked better with his mask on ;))

tumblr_n82ih3bPTy1rrkahjo10_500.gif

Now that's reflexes!

The original trilogy is due a rewatch me thinks.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2016 Posts: 6,808
    L'Avventura

One of cinema's greatest masterpieces featuring OHMSS's very own Gabriele Ferzetti and the stunning Monica Vitti. Always wonder what my actual favourite film is, this one or Le mépris.

Anyway, if you love cinema I strongly advise to watch these two gems.
    He used to cry a lot. What a wuss. That Mary Jane gave him a lot of grief.
    I very much prefer Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man. But, Tom Holland's ranking increased too much with little screen-time, he could be surpassing Maguire on my list. Never liked Andrew whatshisname in these Amazing Spider-Man films.
    I agree. I can't wait to see Holland's solo effort. I was riveted by him in Civil War.
    bondjames wrote: »
    He used to cry a lot. What a wuss. That Mary Jane gave him a lot of grief.

Dunst's Mary Jane was horrendous, probably one of the most unsympathetic characters in cinema.

I much preferred Gwen...
    tumblr_nbu4c8vA701qd95fwo5_250.gif

That's gonna hurt!

X_X