Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I haven't seen 'The Sorcerer,' but I have seen the original - 'The Wages of Fear' - and damn, what a good movie that is, minus the ending.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I haven't seen 'The Sorcerer,' but I have seen the original - 'The Wages of Fear' - and damn, what a good movie that is, minus the ending.

The 1977 remake features Bruno Cremer, one of my favorite actors, thanks to his magnificent performance as Comissaire Jules Maigret on TV for over 15 years.

la-mort-de-bruno-cremer,M40873.jpg

Just listening to the theme song sends chills down my spine

edited May 2016 Posts: 40,642
    I'll have to give it a go one day. I wonder how much it's been changed from the original.

EDIT: It's been a while since I re-watched Carpenter's 'The Thing,' so I returned to it last night, loving it as much as I always do. It was also rewarding going back to this, having watched 'The Hateful Eight' so much lately, as I could draw more parallels and keep an ear out for what bits of score from 'The Thing' were used by Morricone in 'The Hateful Eight.' Very fun.
    Spotlight - faultless cast and some great dialogue but let down IMHO by a flat directing style that gave it a TV movie feel rather than a full blow movie plus, considering the nature of the investigation, it lacked some real menace.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Warcraft (2016)

Superb film. The amount of CGI in the film can be a big turn-off, especially since the opening scene is packed to the max with it, but after a few minutes I had gotten use to these huge, green characters and by halfway point the entire audience I was with were caring about these purely CGI characters. Spectacular soundtrack, intense battle scenes (the best I've seen since the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy ended), and the pacing is very, very good (the 2 hours flew by, I thought it was only half that length). For me, this is finally a video game adaptation that works. This could very well start a major heroic/fantasy franchise for years to come. And this Travis Fimmel guy (that I discovered on the tv show 'Vikings') gives another extremely charismatic performance.

For fans of heroic-fantasy like LOTR and Game of Thrones, and fans of the original games, this movie is made for you. I haven't been this invested in a fantasy world on the big screen since the original LOTR film. I loved Duncan Jones first 2 films ('Moon' and 'Source Code'), but this is his most personal and ambitious project yet and it really shows on screen. Can't wait for whatever film he does next and for part 2 of this franchise.
    I'm obsessed with both LOTR and 'Game of Thrones,' but sadly, these trailers have done nothing for me in terms of impressing me enough to go and see it, and I never played the games, either, so I have no attachment of any kind to this. However, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it's nice (finally) seeing a positive review for a game-to-film adaptation!
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,696
    Honestly @Creasy47, the CGI here is comparable to this year's 'Jungle Book'. Maybe not as immersive and real-looking, but the quality of it was very impressive. I didn't think I (and the audience) could care and be invested in huge, green characters with huge teeth, but it worked.
    I haven't been very impressed with what I saw in the trailers like I was with 'The Jugnle Book,' and seeing all of it unfold in theaters made it look even better. I'm already a pessimist when it comes to heavy usages of CG, and what made it work so well in that movie may not work for me with 'Warcraft,' since I can only assume there are lots of sweeping landscapes riddled with massive battle sequences of CG characters.
    You assume correctly, @Creasy47. The huge battle at the end is jammed-pack with CGI.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 13,916
    I'm a bit behind...

I finished my Roy Scheider-athon.

Jaws
    Jaws II
    Blue Thunder

and double feature FRENCH CONNECTION and THE SEVEN-UPS

I've never seen those before but I knew French Connection won several Academy Awards including best picture.

I enjoyed both movies as I really like Roy Scheider. I have never seen a movie of him until recently. He really did some great stuff.

I don't get what's so great about French Connection. It is a fine movie but it's also just an ordinary cop story.
    The Seven-Ups I liked better as Roy takes the lead in that one. The car chase in the middle that lasts for 10 minutes must have been the blue-print for many to come including RONIN.

Now I wonder if there is more that is worth checking out with Roy Scheider.

Comparing the two, I think The French Connection is better. But The Seven-Ups is worth looking for, primarily for the reason you said, Roy takes the lead.

It looks like you've seen most of his more well known films. You should also consider 52 Pick-Up (1986), Still Of The Night (1982) & Night Game (1989). Beyond those, I have only low budget/dtv films of his to suggest.

I need to see 2010 myself.
    The French Connection is a classic, one of my favourites. Roy Scheider is great in it. Might I recommend 'Last Embrace', a Hitchcock style thriller which he is also superb .Also 'Marathon Man', even though he isn't the lead, he steals the film from Dustin Hoffman, and its a stunning thriller.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm amazed no one's mentioned All That Jazz....
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I wasn't that keen on All That Jazz. But it's worth looking for to collect Sheider's films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    X-MEN: APECALYPSO

If you are an X-Men fan, you can t miss this.
    I'm going through a super intense Batman marathon, watching every Batman film outside of Lego/Justice League-related stuff (Batman-focused movies), leading up to The Killing Joke. I'm tackling a bunch of animated ones I haven't seen before (The Batman vs. Dracula, Son of Batman, Gotham Knight, etc.) first.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @FoxRox

I love "Batman vs Dracula". That series "The Batman" was my favourite Batman series so far.

full.jpg
    Sorry, doesn't hold a candle to BTAS for me. The movie was okay.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I liked Mask Of The Phantasm a lot, but I didn't think it was Batman's best.... I liked animated Batman best in the Batman Superman Movie.
    Mask of the Phantasm is amazing; everything I could ask for in a Batman film, animated or otherwise. I'd probably give it second place to Dark Knight in my ranking. Batman '89 and Batman Begins are also right near the top for me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    And of course Return Of The Joker, a favourite of mine as well who would make the Top 10 live action and animated ranking.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    BTAS beats everything for me. BvDracula isn't a bad movie but the animation lets me down quite a bit.

MOTP is superb in every way. 2:04 into this clip is where my favourite moment begins:

Joker's maniacal laughter is one of the best moments in the history of Batman for me, no matter what the medium!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    BTAS beats everything for me. BvDracula isn't a bad movie but the animation lets me down quite a bit.

MOTP is superb in every way. 2:04 into this clip is where my favourite moment begins:

Joker's maniacal laughter is one of the best moments in the history of Batman for me, no matter what the medium!

True, but Hamill's is indeed the best :) he deserves to go out with Killing Joke.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I second that awesome scene at the end of Mask of the Phantasm my favourite Batman movie, the scene at his parents grave in the rain is epic.

frenzy-movie-poster-1972-1020464142.jpg

Last movie I watched is regarded as Hitchcocks last masterpiece, it's difficult to disagree it has Hitch's wrong man on the run theme and it's very much a time capsule of London from that period. There are some very dark elements in this film which still shock, this is my first watch on BD and it's pristine certainly elevates the look of the film considerably.

I'm sure my opinion is in a minority, but I found Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1 to be vastly superior to Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2. The story started on a solid pace in the first part, but then just felt so random and all-over-the-place in the second. Also didn't enjoy the characterizations of Batman and Joker in the second part. Weird; these felt like two totally different films to me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    High-Rise (2016)

I was very much looking forward to this film for much of this year, on the back of a great 2nd trailer and superb cast, including Bond contender Tom Hiddleston, Sienna Miller, Luke Evans, Jeremy Irons, James Purefoy & Elizabeth Moss.

Impressions:
    It's an interesting film. Slightly weird I must say. I haven't read the source novel by JG Ballard so didn't know what to expect apart from the trailer and my faith in the cast.

It starts off nicely, with Hiddleston's Dr. Robert Laing moving into a dystopian high rise building designed by Iron's architect Anthony Royal. Intriguingly, the well-to-do live on the higher floors and the less-well-off on lower floors. The building has every amenity that one could imagine & desire, including a supermarket, school & rooftop patio which can even accommodate a horse, but is somewhat cut off from daily life due it being so self-contained.

Over time, violence and bad behaviour starts to seep in and becomes increasingly rampant, with catastrophic social consequences. The film depicts the decline in society somewhat eerily, with creepy music & a sort of psychedelic approach. It makes for unnerving viewing.

The cast is indeed great, with standout performances from Hiddleston as the lead, & Evans in particular but also Miller. Hiddleston solidified his credentials for me as an excellent possible next Bond. He commands the screen and holds his own nicely with Irons, as he did with Hugh Laurie in The Night Manager.

Interesting film - but I'm not sure if I recommend it.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    High-Rise (2016)

I was very much looking forward to this film for much of this year, on the back of a great 2nd trailer and superb cast, including Bond contender Tom Hiddleston, Sienna Miller, Luke Evans, Jeremy Irons, James Purefoy & Elizabeth Moss.

Impressions:
    It's an interesting film. Slightly weird I must say. I haven't read the source novel by JG Ballard so didn't know what to expect apart from the trailer and my faith in the cast.

It starts off nicely, with Hiddleston's Dr. Robert Laing moving into a dystopian high rise building designed by Iron's architect Anthony Royal. Intriguingly, the well-to-do live on the higher floors and the less-well-off on lower floors. The building has every amenity that one could imagine & desire, including a supermarket, school & rooftop patio which can even accommodate a horse, but is somewhat cut off from daily life due it being so self-contained.

Over time, violence and bad behaviour starts to seep in and becomes increasingly rampant, with catastrophic social consequences. The film depicts the decline in society somewhat eerily, with creepy music & a sort of psychedelic approach. It makes for unnerving viewing.

The cast is indeed great, with standout performances from Hiddleston as the lead, & Evans in particular but also Miller. Hiddleston solidified his credentials for me as an excellent possible next Bond. He commands the screen and holds his own nicely with Irons, as he did with Hugh Laurie in The Night Manager.

Interesting film - but I'm not sure if I recommend it.

Rather watch an interesting film than a non-interesting one. Don't know if this is coming to a cinema near me, but would like to see it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wasn't The Batman brought by the same people who did The Jackie Chan Adventures? I don't like a single thing about that show... neither of them.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    The Batman Artifacts episode was probably the best, it was set particially in the future.

Artifacts.jpg
    Xmen: Apocolypse for the most part I had issues with, this universe is so muddled now and this film makes it even worse. Saying that the last 40 minutes was pretty awesome and one particular moment made my brain almost explode, being a fan and aware of most of the comics I was happy at the end. Bizarre situation I had the whole cinema to myself as it was an afternoon showing, the sound blew my head off sitting smack bang in the middle of a empty theatre.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited May 2016 Posts: 45,489
    How does it make it worse?