Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    In the final third of H8 now @Creasy47 loving this film, the atmosphere in middle act was taught really glad I bought it as I had saved money :)

Happy to know I didn't lead you astray with the purchase. It has a lot of rewatchability for me; Tarantino usually does, but there was something different with this. I feel like every time I return to it, I'm picking up on more easter eggs, hints, and clues, too, which is great.
    With 40 minutes to go I want to watch the middle act again, the camera moves in a peculiar way to the point I am not sure what I am watching at times. Loving this film it's definitely a film I will dissect and analyse. :-bd
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Iron Sky (2012):
    An interesting, amusing, but not entirely entertaining science fiction film with elements of comedy that tells the story of the remaining Nazis having fled to the moon after their defeat in World War II, and have temporarily settled on it, building a large base. As they capture a US spaceman walking upon the moon, and fascinated by the advanced technology, they decide to steal some of the goods from Earth secretly, and deliver it to their own war machine in order to invade the world. It takes place in the future, 2018 to be precise, starring our very own Gotz Otto (Stamper) as the second-in-command of the Aryan Race (the Nazis) and later the Fuhrer. I have to say, for a film fully funded by a fanbase before it started existing, it's as good as any other Marvel film or superhero film we see in the mainstream media. For those who like science fiction and half a parody flicks, the film is recommended.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @chrisisall and @Creasy47, you are right. You love the movie or you hate it. A lot, I think, depends on what you expect to get out of a Mann film. I barely need more than vintage Mann and I'm happy. And BlackHat is so vintage Mann. :)
    We just watched it, and my 17 year old Son said technically he found no flaw. But he said the movie was a bit slow.
    That's the key to it's lack of success IMO- no ADD film-making. Mann is old school, and you have to appreciate movies that take their time to tell the tale. (:|
    Another note: Not a fan of digitally shot movies, but I get what Mann was going for here. I just checked out the DVD that came with my Blu Ray, and I like how it takes the 'edge' off the digital quality. That's how I will watch this movie next time.
    Second watching and it was still amazing... =D>
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom (1984)

And so I continue with my Indy-thon. After the somewhat underwhelming beginning with Raiders yesterday, I watched the sequel/prequel today - for only the second time. I was not impressed the last time around, feeling that the opening sequence in China was the highlight.

Impressions - This viewing went much better than the first time, and much better than Raiders did yesterday as well. I still think the opening sequence is the highlight, but this time I enjoyed the rest of it too, finding it intense and notably violent. After some research, I realize that this film was partly responsible for the advent of the PG13 rating.

Location work is excellent and the settings are vibrant & colourful. I remembered the small kid as being annoying as hell, and he certainly is, but much less so than before. I also remembered Kate Capshaw's Willie as just being a howling screamer, and she certainly is that, but again not as annoying as before. She is however proof positive, as with Eastwood's Sondra Locke, that directors and/or actors should not favour their wives/girlfriends when it comes to casting.

Anyways, I did have a better time with this than Raiders, for which I still can't understand what the big deal is about. I think it's because I prefer suspense to action adventure, and Temple of Doom is more intense & suspenseful, with the Thuggee cult rituals and torture.

Having said that, I still much prefer the Bond movies from that era any day of the week.

Next, onto The Last Crusade.
    IJATTOD- My favourite Indy movie...
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Bruce Dern double bill Hateful 8 and Alfred Hitchcocks Family Plot, Family Plot I have always enjoyed it has a few of the Masters tricks. It's my first viewing on BD I knew what I was expecting there is a lot of grain, this is not distracting as I know the film well. I can see past some of the films technical deficiencies, all the cast are good value I appreciate the humour.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Django Unchained.
    Great movie and fun to watch. One of Tarantino's finest films. Every performance was great. Especially Waltz. Did not disappoint.
    It's refreshing to read that you share a lot of my own personal tastes and views in movies, @LeonardPine. I salute you.

Good review on Temple of Doom, @bondjames. I recall when I first saw this at the cinema my first response to that opening scene was: God, how I wished the Bond writers could come up with something as good as Bond swallowing poison and desperate for the antidote. Eventually we got to see it when there was a similar idea repeated in CR many years later.

On the subject of The Hateful 8, I enjoyed this movie but I felt Bone Tomahawk was a better western. I'm seriously looking forward to seeing what Ridley Scott does with S. Craig Zahler's Wraiths of the Broken Land. It could be this century's The Wild Bunch.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondsum wrote: »
    It's refreshing to read that you share a lot of my own personal tastes and views in movies, @LeonardPine. I salute you.

Thanks bondsum.

I have a broad taste in movies and love finding hidden gems.

Have you ever seen White of the eye (1987)? Directed by Donald Cammell. Not a very well known film but a very stylish and unusual thriller. Recommended if you haven't.

I haven't seen The Hateful 8 yet even though I'm a big Tarantino admirer. I don't get to the cinema as much as I'd like.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 3,333

Thanks bondsum.

Have you ever seen White of the eye (1987)? Directed by Donald Cammell. Not a very well known film but a very stylish and unusual thriller. Recommended if you haven't.

I haven't seen The Hateful 8 yet even though I'm a big Tarantino admirer. I don't get to the cinema as much as I'd like.
    Actually, I have seen White of the Eye, @LeonardPine. I saw it at the cinema, I think it was double-billed with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer which got a belated release here in the UK? But, yeah, I definately saw it at the cinema and liked it very much.

I too, like unearthing hidden gems. I think I'm at that stage in life where there's very few films I haven't seen, apart from those dreadful frat-type humour movies... and chick flick/rom-coms which I tend to give a big swerve to. But then again, I really don't consider any of those proper movies. After exhausting all the classics from the 30's via Howard Hawks to Bergman and other European cinema, I'm now pretty much only looking at new releases nowadays.

In fact, I find TV is where it's at today. There's so many good productions such as Gomorrah, Narcos, Better Call Saul, Fargo and The Walking Dead that are actually made for adults rather than the current crop of YA movies that populate and litter modern cinema. I too thought Sicario was a great movie, if not the best cinematic adult movie made last year.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2016 Posts: 6,826
    The Lady from Shanghai, at first I thought it a fairly by-the-numbers affair and then came that astonishing climax! Recommended.

Thanks bondsum.

Actually, I have seen White of the Eye, @LeonardPine. I saw it at the cinema, I think it was double-billed with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer which got a belated release here in the UK? But, yeah, I definately saw it at the cinema and liked it very much.

I too, like unearthing hidden gems. I think I'm at that stage in life where there's very few films I haven't seen, apart from those dreadful frat-type humour movies... and chick flick/rom-coms which I tend to give a big swerve to. But then again, I really don't consider any of those proper movies. After exhausting all the classics from the 30's via Howard Hawks to Bergman and other European cinema, I'm now pretty much only looking at new releases nowadays.

In fact, I find TV is where it's at today. There's so many good productions such as Gomorrah, Narcos, Better Call Saul, Fargo and The Walking Dead that are actually made for adults rather than the current crop of YA movies that populate and litter modern cinema. I too thought Sicario was a great movie, if not the best cinematic adult movie made last year.

There are some fantastic TV series around. Yet again it's finding the time. Especially with a whole season!

I did manage to see the whole season of The Man In The High Castle which I quite liked.

Best for me though has been Banshee Have seen seasons 1 & 2 and I absolutely love it!

Worth a look if you've missed it.

Glad you liked White Of The Eye thought I was the only person to ever see the damned thing!
    I do find these streaming services help without their constant advert breaks, which affords me to be able to watch a few episodes back-to-back. But yes, inbetween having a life, reading, working, it's a case of making time to view these shows. I'm currently in the middle of Poldark after finishing Billions, The Path and Wolf Creek TV series. I'm squeezing in as much as I can before I depart to the Far East on a long sabbatical living the James Bond lifestyle.

Rest assured, I have quite a few friends that also thought White of the Eye was a great movie back in the 80's.
    I do find these streaming services help without their constant advert breaks, which affords me to be able to watch a few episodes back-to-back. But yes, inbetween having a life, reading, working, it's a case of making time to view these shows. I'm currently in the middle of Poldark after finishing Billions, The Path and Wolf Creek TV series. I'm squeezing in as much as I can before I depart to the Far East on a long sabbatical living the James Bond lifestyle.

Rest assured, I have quite a few friends that also thought White of the Eye was a great movie back in the 80's.

I feel much better knowing White Of The Eye was seen by more people!

Enjoy your sabbatical. Sounds heavenly!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »
    Django Unchained.
    Great movie and fun to watch. One of Tarantino's finest films. Every performance was great. Especially Waltz. Did not disappoint.

The dentist prairie wagon made me laugh out loud.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    Django Unchained.

The dentist prairie wagon made me laugh out loud.
    Me too! That dang tooth on a spring was so funny. I also loved the Mask scene. :P
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,068
    The Bank Job (2008) I enjoyed it. I've read complaints about the films change in pace
    three quarters of the way through; I actually found it effective, and increased the suspense and tension as the stakes were raised.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    The Bank Job (2008) I enjoyed it. I've read complaints about the films change in pace
    three quarters of the way through; I actually found it effective, and increased the suspense and tension as the stakes were raised.

I need to revisit that one. I saw it once it hit blu-ray with a friend and remember loving it, but I don't recall many details from it.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (1989)

So I continued with my Indy-thon today with the last in the original trilogy, and the one I enjoyed the most when I last watched them.

I had a great time with it tonight as well. I think this is by the far the best of the original three, although I'm quite certain I'm completely in the minority in this regard. I was riveted from start to finish. Great pacing, superb cast, excellent performances, fantastic location work & cinematography.....what's not to like?

Moreover, this film stars many notable Bond alums. In addition to King Connery, we have the lovely Alison Doody, John Rhys-Davies, Julian Glover, & Vernon Dobtcheff (Max Kalba from TSWLM).

The stunt work, jokes & action are first class. That boat chase is how you do it, and is so much better than the one in QoS 20 yrs later.

While watching this, I cast my mind to what it must have been like in 1989. Indy was giving us a classic like this while EON gave us LTK. Bond had become rougher edged in the 8 yrs since 1981 (when Raiders came out) while Indy had become slick and cool. I felt quite the opposite with Raiders a few nights back, when I felt FYEO, released in the same year, was much classier.

This was by far the top grossing film worldwide of 1989, a feat each of the original three Indy films accomplished in their respective year of release. It beat out the domestic monster of that year, Batman. Interestingly, in 2008, the tables were reversed, with TDK outgrossing Indy & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, mainly on the back of a stronger domestic gross for the Bat film.
    X-Men : Days of Future Past : The Rogue Cut : Great movie all aound, even if the new scenes didn't add much, IMHO.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I don't know why I don't post in this thread more often, but I'm currently doing Hitchcock filmathon. Not doing it in any particular order as I thought I'd mix it up a bit (like my current Bondathon).

Have watched REAR WINDOW and NORTH BY NORTHWEST so far, both absolute classics and thoroughly entertaining, the latter of which could be a Bond film (and I might go as far as to include it in my Bondathons).

Hitchcock ranking-
    1) REAR WINDOW (1954)
    2) NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)
    bondjames wrote: »
    Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (1989)

So I continued with my Indy-thon today with the last in the original trilogy, and the one I enjoyed the most when I last watched them.

I had a great time with it tonight as well. I think this is by the far the best of the original three, although I'm quite certain I'm completely in the minority in this regard. I was riveted from start to finish. Great pacing, superb cast, excellent performances, fantastic location work & cinematography.....what's not to like?

Moreover, this film stars many notable Bond alums. In addition to King Connery, we have the lovely Alison Doody, John Rhys-Davies, Julian Glover, & Vernon Dobtcheff (Max Kalba from TSWLM).

The stunt work, jokes & action are first class. That boat chase is how you do it, and is so much better than the one in QoS 20 yrs later.

While watching this, I cast my mind to what it must have been like in 1989. Indy was giving us a classic like this while EON gave us LTK. Bond had become rougher edged in the 8 yrs since 1981 (when Raiders came out) while Indy had become slick and cool. I felt quite the opposite with Raiders a few nights back, when I felt FYEO, released in the same year, was much classier.

This was by far the top grossing film worldwide of 1989, a feat each of the original three Indy films accomplished in their respective year of release. It beat out the domestic monster of that year, Batman. Interestingly, in 2008, the tables were reversed, with TDK outgrossing Indy & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, mainly on the back of a stronger domestic gross for the Bat film.

It's certainly the best of the 3 sequels from the superior original.

Trouble is it still feels like an inferior rerun of Raiders. The masterstroke of course was having Indy's father be Sean Connery. I can't see any other actor being able to fill that role. Connery is not only a great actor he has the legend aura about him and he is the best thing in the film.

I do love the genius opening sequence with River Phoenix, the Tank chase is very well done and Indy and his fathers farcical escape from the Nazi castle is great fun.

But the film falls short of being a classic for me.

Some of the editing is really shoddy and turning the character of Marcus into a buffoon for comedic effect was really annoying.

But as I said miles better than Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull.
    I agree on Connery being the best thing about the film @LeonardPine. A master stroke casting decision. I like Doody as well. As mentioned, all I could think about when watching it was how Bond-like it was. It certainly felt more Bondian than that year's EON release, LTK, and must have done in 1989.

I really enjoyed it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree on Connery being the best thing about the film @LeonardPine. A master stroke casting decision. I like Doody as well. As mentioned, all I could think about when watching it was how Bond-like it was. It certainly felt more Bondian than that year's EON release, LTK, and must have done in 1989.

I really enjoyed it.

It was certainly more fun than LTK
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423
    RED (2010) and RED 2 (2013):

I highly enjoyed these films. Both of them almost equally, but despite the rich plot and elements of the second, I slightly prefer the first film over the second, and definitely would take Christopher Beck (1) over Alan Silvestri (2) as the composer, which changed the tone of the film significantly with the serious tunes (and I don't like it). I think the cast of both the entries in the franchise are magnificent. From Richard Dreyfuss to the outstanding Anthony Hopkins, the villains are that of satisfactory to the plots. And then... There's Helen Mirren. Good God! After all these years, she only gets better with age!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ClarkDevlin I love these 2 films! But I prefer the 2nd one due to the presence of Lee Byung-Hun.
    @ClarkDevlin I love these 2 films! But I prefer the 2nd one due to the presence of Lee Byung-Hun.
    Lee Byung-Hun is definitely the 2010s equal to young Jet Li. I rather enjoyed his presence as a reluctant action hero, too. I think he was written in due to Karl Urban refusing to appear in the second film. Imagine a fistfight between Urban and Byung-Hun. Although, I believe the latter would gain the upper hand.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    SPECTRE [blu-ray] - a mixed bag for me this film. There are bits I love (pts, monica, car chase) and bits I hate (trying to tie all DC's Bonds, referencing YOLT Blofeld, back to London for the finale, Hoyte Van Hoytema cinematography - let's hope he does better on Dunkirk), and after three viewings in cinema and one home viewing last night I think I would put it last of DC's Bonds (and I've never been a fan of QoS). But I do get the feeling that I had on first viewing, seeing Bond and Swann drive away I thought that it was the last of the Craig films - his Swann Song?!
    (also posted in Last Bond Movie You Watched thread)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm a bit behind...

I finished my Roy Scheider-athon.

Jaws
    Jaws II
    Blue Thunder

and double feature FRENCH CONNECTION and THE SEVEN-UPS

I've never seen those before but I knew French Connection won several Academy Awards including best picture.

I enjoyed both movies as I really like Roy Scheider. I have never seen a movie of him until recently. He really did some great stuff.

I don't get what's so great about French Connection. It is a fine movie but it's also just an ordinary cop story.
    The Seven-Ups I liked better as Roy takes the lead in that one. The car chase in the middle that lasts for 10 minutes must have been the blue-print for many to come including RONIN.

Now I wonder if there is more that is worth checking out with Roy Scheider.
    Now I wonder if there is more that is worth checking out with Roy Scheider.
    I might give The Sorcerer a try.