Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The version in 'Collateral' is a Korean version, apparently:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That it is, I mixed that up. His original version is played over that big car chase in 'The Bourne Identity,' however.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It gives me the goosebumps and ignites the action man in me... I might get arrested in public. :))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm amazed that nobody cites HEAT as their favourite Mann film. It certainly is mine. :)
    Heat, Manhunter and Collateral all great films, Heat because of a superb cast and performances tips it for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm amazed that nobody cites HEAT as their favourite Mann film. It certainly is mine. :)
    It's definitely mine too, followed by Manhunter & Collateral (not sure which to put ahead). I'd love to see a Bond film with the look of Collateral, which had a modern, high tech ambience (I realize it was filmed at night, but still). Miami Vice was pretty stylish, but I wasn't a fan of it really (loved the tv show though).

Re: that Oakenfold track: I always associate it with the Bourne Identity, since that's where I heard it first.
    @bondjames, you are right! A bond film that captures the same feeling as Collateral would be amazing. I think certain scenes in SF come close. :)
    You're absolutely right @DarthDimi. I never thought about that before. Shanghai in particular is very similar to what Mann achieved with Collateral. I think that's what grabs me so much about that particular portion of the film, but I wasn't consciously aware of it.

I did on the previous page! #1 Mann film for me.
    I think Michael Mann made a point of giving us the best night time shots ever. He did it expertly well in Thief, Manhunter, HEAT, Collateral, Miami Vice, Blackhat, ... When he turned to digital, things got even better IMO. I'm not saying Deakens stole from Spinotti or anything, but much like Kubrick invented certain camera's and lighting techniques, I'd say Mann and his DOPs invented the perfect nocturnal shots.

Right now, he's working on a next film, thank goodness. (After Blackhat, I got a little worried he'd quit film or retire in total.) But instead, he's doing an Enzo Ferrari biopic.
    Christian Bale was attached to that, but then dropped out and now Mann may be working on another crime biopic as his next movie; not sure if he still plans on doing the Ferrari biopic just yet, as it was scheduled to shoot in the spring and he still hasn't found a new actor.
    There's a Michael Mann discussion here every few pages, right?

Well, then. The Insider.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Ninja Assassin (2009)

What a total blast! 90 minutes of a badass South Korean guy destroying tons of bad guys with blood spurting all over the place. Really cool and hardcore fights, and the main actor is cool as ice. I'm going to rewatch this film often, a real fun way to spend 1 and a half hour.

mine too

• edited June 2016 Posts: 1,469
    The Mask of Zorro (1998)
    Yes, a great one! I also still like The Mark of Zorro (1940) with Tyrone Power.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Miami Vice was pretty stylish, but I wasn't a fan of it really (loved the tv show though).
    Big Miami Vice TV show fan here.

I'm currently about halfway through The Big Sleep (1945) with Bogart and Bacall. And I'm also near the end of The Living Daylights.
    Trying to get through Batman Forever (1995). Still a terrific film compared to what comes next.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No filmmaker can bring these characters alive the way Adams, O'Neal, Thomas, Kirby, Lee, Buscema , Claremont, Byrne and a whole slew of others could for me back in the '60s and '70s.

You got that right bro! Romita drew MY Spider-man!
    Interstellar (2014)

I watched this in IMAX in the theatre when it came out and enjoyed it. Today on blu ray was no different. Christopher Nolan's epic opus is compelling & moving, with pseudo spiritual undertones. Massive in scope and scale, it confirms my view that he is a master story teller. The visuals are splendorous & beautifully realized, and I really appreciate the way he moves in & out of IMAX scenes which fill the screen (a technique he started on TDK). The performances are superb across the board, not only by co-leads Matthew McConaughey & Anne Hathaway, but also the always fantastic Jessica Chastain. The real star imho is Hans Zimmer however, who surpasses himself here with an almost operatic score which is at times chilling & also romantic. Truly outstanding work by him. All told, the film is a bit on the melodramatic side for me, and also a little overwrought, but I respect Nolan for once again taking on something this large in scope and vision, and for executing it rather well, even if not perfectly.

Recommended.
    Good review, bondjames. I haven't seen it yet and probably should. And Zimmer really is a great composer...I think especially of his memorable work on Gladiator, one of my faves.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Interstellar (2014)

I watched this in IMAX in the theatre when it came out and enjoyed it. Today on blu ray was no different. Christopher Nolan's epic opus is compelling & moving, with pseudo spiritual undertones. Massive in scope and scale, it confirms my view that he is a master story teller. The visuals are splendorous & beautifully realized, and I really appreciate the way he moves in & out of IMAX scenes which fill the screen (a technique he started on TDK). The performances are superb across the board, not only by co-leads Matthew McConaughey & Anne Hathaway, but also the always fantastic Jessica Chastain. The real star imho is Hans Zimmer however, who surpasses himself here with an almost operatic score which is at times chilling & also romantic. Truly outstanding work by him. All told, the film is a bit on the melodramatic side for me, and also a little overwrought, but I respect Nolan for once again taking on something this large in scope and vision, and for executing it rather well, even if not perfectly.

Recommended.
    Loved this, too.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I'm currently about halfway through The Big Sleep (1945) with Bogart and Bacall. And I'm also near the end of The Living Daylights.

Eh? That sounds... weird.
    Interstellar (2014)

Recommended.

Damn... I wish I had had a chance to see it in IMAX. I saw it twice in regular theatre, though.

I agree with your review. Great performances (the kid daughter was excellent, too), visually beautiful, gorgeous score. I loved how the music was used in the movie, many times not as background, but sort of as a main character itself. (The music is also great on its own, I listen to it a lot.) A very ambitious movie, and it mostly works very well for me, too.

Cape_fear_91.jpg

Cape Fear, 1991:

I finally sat down and watched this for the first time. Not sure why it's taken so long- I actually haven't seen the original either, but now I will! I enjoyed this movie a lot!
    The movie was a touch cheesy (probably scary back then though) and felt a tad 'TV movie' at times, but as usual DeNiro's acting was phenomenal. He was scary and creepy, yet still had an odd charm about him! It was a good thriller, no doubt. Good ol' Jack Wade even made an appearance!
    One thing I had in my mind throughout, which actually distracted me from the movie itself: if they had made an X-Men movie in the early 90's, DeNiro would have KILLED as Wolverine!! Just look at him!!!

denio030410.jpg
    cacf89fe6ffd8b132cad179017ba57e6.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Good idea.
    I couldn't stand Juliette Lewis. Ugh. If not for her, I'd rank this film quite high and would watch it more often.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I haven't seen the remake, but the original has Mitchum at his most sinister.
    It's been ages since I saw either, but my memory tells me I preferred the original.
    Dredd (2012) and Lucky Number Slevin (2006).

Wow, big thanks to @Thunderfinger for the recommendation, 'Dredd' is a friggin epic film. 90 minutes of pure badassery from Karl Urban, with great special effects and intense action scenes. Lena Headley is quite a major b*tch, first in Game of Thrones, and now here. As for 'Slevin', absolutely fantastic film, tons of hardcore action and humour (love the discussion about who is the best James Bond), and an insane cast - Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freeman and a legendary Bruce Willis.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dredd (2012) and Lucky Number Slevin (2006).

Wow, big thanks to @Thunderfinger for the recommendation, 'Dredd' is a friggin epic film. 90 minutes of pure badassery from Karl Urban, with great special effects and intense action scenes. Lena Headley is quite a major b*tch, first in Game of Thrones, and now here. As for 'Slevin', absolutely fantastic film, tons of hardcore action and humour (love the discussion about who is the best James Bond), and an insane cast - Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freeman and a legendary Bruce Willis.
    Both of these are such stellar films!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dredd sadly bombed at the cinema, but was a huge success at the home video market.
    Dredd sadly bombed at the cinema, but was a huge success at the home video market.

All those online petitions for a sequel seemed to help, as well. Last I heard, Urban reached out to both Amazon and Netflix in hopes of making a sequel (or a series) out of 'Dredd,' which would make me very happy.