Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Anyone seen Our Kind of Traitor yet? Think I might go see it tonight, and X-Men tomorrow.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Chronicle
    Compelling performances in a ludicrous plot about 3 high school students developing unrealistic powers after discovering a mysterious object in an underground hole. It's themes of dysfunction actually make it difficult to watch in parts. Regardless, I would highly recommend it. I'm curious to see other's opinions of this film.

Certainly an interesting spin on the 'found footage' genre.

Very impressive in parts (loved the scene where they play catch high in the clouds!) and some of the action in the climax is very well done.

Thought the director would be perfect for a superhero movie and then he went and made The Fantastic Four......
    I'm not sure Trank is to blame for everything that went wrong with Fantastic 4.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Creed The Rocky films are my go to films for inspiration and motivation, Creed is exceptional and hits many emotional cords. One of the best films I have seen in the last few years, powerful stuff.
    In other words, a must-see?

Yeah man my eyes welled up a few times, this film is awesome Stallone and B. Jordan are awesome.

And to think Ryan Coogler who wrote and directed it was only 28 at the time of shooting it.

I had to look twice when checking his age on IMDB, Black Panther is going to be some movie.

Yeah, I'm super confident about the BP film. Coogler knows what he's doing and even moreso as he considers it to be his most personal project that he's ever worked on.

As a side note Coogler, a couple years back won the Dana and Albert Broccoli Award for Filmmaking Excellence.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    After Denzel Washington in Man on Fire earlier, I turned to Matt Damon for more badassery in in...

The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)
    What a movie. Flat out action from start to finish. Some of the most impressive action scenes I've seen on the big screen are from this film - specifically the Waterloo Station sequence and the Tangiers chase. It took several years (The Raid in 2012) for an action film to really wow me again. Matt Damon is the king of badasses as Bourne, and the upcoming one needs to be very good, as Ultimatum will be very hard to top.

I have a few hours ahead to find another epic action film to finish the day.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    After Denzel Washington in Man on Fire earlier, I turned to Matt Damon for more badassery in in...

What a movie. Flat out action from start to finish. Some of the most impressive action scenes I've seen on the big screen are from this film - specifically the Waterloo Station sequence and the Tangiers chase. It took several years (The Raid in 2012) for an action film to really wow me again. Matt Damon is the king of badasses as Bourne, and the upcoming one needs to be very good, as Ultimatum will be very hard to top.

I watch this one the most. The film moves so fast and barely stops for breath!

Great action film with that brutally good fight scene in Tangiers.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

How about Dredd?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,690
    I've seen the Stallone one a couple of years ago, bought the Blu Ray for the 2012 version, but never saw it. I know I really need to watch it. Blu Ray waiting on my shelves.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Stallone film is as awful as the new one is magnificent.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

I watch this one the most. The film moves so fast and barely stops for breath!

Great action film with that brutally good fight scene in Tangiers.
    I always thought the whole sequence in Tangier was inspired by the one we've seen in The Living Daylights.
    After Man on Fire and Bourne Ultimatum, I finished the day with...

The Raid 2 (2014)

Probably the ultimate action film. 2.5 hours of pure mayhem. The last 30 minutes, between the insane car chase, the Rama vs baseball bat guy/hammer girl and the fight in the kitchen beats every other action film I've ever seen. And some epic stuff in the previous 2 hours too (the prison fight in the mud, the fight against the young thugs in the street, the nightclub fight, the fight in the subway, the baseball bat fight in the street). Iko Uwais is the ultimate badass, he needs to be in more movies (like I want more films from Won Bin). Can't wait for The Raid 3 if it ever happens.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

I'll start by saying I was never a real fan of the comics, nor of the films. I've seen them all, and the only one I really enjoy watching again is The Wolverine (2013).

Having said that, since I do watch them all when they came out, I respected the tradition and went to see this outing too. I actually enjoyed it and found it roughly on par with X-Men: Days of Future Past but not as good as X-Men: First Class, which I much preferred. Predictable maybe, but decent enough.

I have to say, as I mentioned after I watched both Civil War & BvS earlier this year, I am so done with CGI building & city collapses. I wish Hollywood would move on as it's getting tiresome, and repetitive. Moreover, none of this CGI recreated BS can hold a candle to the pseudo realistic burning New York that Nolan gave us TKDR, so why bother? This just looks like computer generated video game tripe, and it's annoying.

Fassbender really does have fantastic screen presence, and I always enjoy seeing him on screen, so it was worth it just for that.
    @bondjames something tells me you won't see 'Independence Day: Resurgence' in a few weeks, then? ;)
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, I was actually going to mention that in my comments above.

They showed the trailer before X-Men, and it looked so predictable imho, I'm sorry to say. We see this mass destruction in so many films these days (particularly from Marvel) that it's lost its effect, while in 1996 the demolition of cities was such a grand spectacle.

I will probably see it out of respect for the original, Jeff Goldblum & Bill Pulman, but perhaps not on week 1.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Creed The Rocky films are my go to films for inspiration and motivation, Creed is exceptional and hits many emotional cords. One of the best films I have seen in the last few years, powerful stuff.
    In other words, a must-see?

Yeah man my eyes welled up a few times, this film is awesome Stallone and B. Jordan are awesome.

And to think Ryan Coogler who wrote and directed it was only 28 at the time of shooting it.

I had to look twice when checking his age on IMDB, Black Panther is going to be some movie.

Yeah, I'm super confident about the BP film. Coogler knows what he's doing and even moreso as he considers it to be his most personal project that he's ever worked on.

As a side note Coogler, a couple years back won the Dana and Albert Broccoli Award for Filmmaking Excellence.
    I read a interview with Coogler where he talks of making films personal to himself, he also recounts his Fathers love of Rocky and how his dad would watch the Rocky films with Ryan to get him pumped up. Its obvious how much he understands the essense of Rocky, how Rocky is portrayed in Creed is sentiment done right.

High praise indeed regarding the award Coogler received.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Our Kind of Traitor local cinema, a great little spy thriller from the pen of John le Carre. Just what you'd expect from le Carre with great performances and a satisfying ending, it's just nice to see a film that's not full of CGI, loud explosions and men in tights!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron.
    Wow, I saw this in a cheap multiplex when it opened and didn't think much of it, but on home viewing where I could actually HEAR all the dialogue I realize WHY this was a billion dollar take.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited June 2016 Posts: 1,812
    Watchmen Director's Cut

I really enjoy this superhero movie. Couldn't really tell what was added other than a couple of things for the director's cut. I've only seen the original a couple of times and it's been a few years. Watchmen is highly underrated.
    Watchmen Director's Cut

I really enjoy this superhero movie. Couldn't really tell what was added other than a couple of things for the director's cut. I've only seen the original a couple of times and it's been a few years. Watchmen is highly underrated.

I have the Dr Manhattan collectors edition BD, though I have yet to see the directors cut. I have the animated film Tales of the black freighter, is that incorporated into the directors cut?

Woman of Straw. Again.

Easily, this is my favourite performance out of Sean Connery.
    Woman of Straw. Again.

Agreed. Just like The Man Who Haunted Himself from Moore, both these legends delivered amazing turns in very atypical roles, and both coincidentally in Basil Dearden films.
    Avengers: Age Of Ultron.
    Wow, I saw this in a cheap multiplex when it opened and didn't think much of it, but on home viewing where I could actually HEAR all the dialogue I realize WHY this was a billion dollar take.

"There are no strings on me". James Spader did a great job.

Woman of Straw. Again.

Might have to give it a go then. ;)
    bondjames wrote: »
    Woman of Straw. Again.

Agreed. Just like The Man Who Haunted Himself from Moore, both these legends delivered amazing turns in very atypical roles, and both coincidentally in Basil Dearden films.
    Indeed. Both of the men played very intensive roles with personas that were either double or have been variable. You'd always expect a heroic rugged gentleman characteristics from Connery, but this one had him playing a notorious, dual-persona villain. As for Moore... You'd expect that happy-go-lucky type of characters when you see him, and yet he delivered a performance that was so unlike him... The bit in the beginning when he grins like a maniac while driving a car... Just brilliant.
    Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016). Did not care for it much, as I worried I wouldn't. I'm not crazy about Batman-Superman crossovers in the first place, and I just didn't find much to enjoy in this movie. Favorite part was whenever Batman and Superman were interacting, especially the great fight scene between them.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo, on BD for the first time, this film is still astonishing Leone made two of the greatest films ever made. The Good the Bad and the Ugly is perfection shot after shot, Morricone score is a masterpiece.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo, on BD for the first time, this film is still astonishing Leone made two of the greatest films ever made. The Good the Bad and the Ugly is perfection shot after shot, Morricone score is a masterpiece.
    Ill Triello (The Trio) is definitely the greatest track in the album... that would be the Mexican Standoff between the tree in the finale... It's extraordinarily goose-bumping.

Bellissimo! Bellissimo!

• edited June 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Ill Triello (The Trio) is definitely the greatest track in the album... that would be the Mexican Standoff between the tree in the finale... It's extraordinarily goose-bumping.
    Such a deep score always makes me reflect, the finale is on another level pure cinema.

Such a deep score always makes be reflect, the finale is on another level pure cinema.
    Without a doubt.
    Just played your link, goosebumps for the opening notes a understatement nothing beats that.