Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I have a major soft spot for super hero flicks and this reboot of the Tobey Maguire trilogy happens to be one of my favorites. Loved every minute of it.
    Are you referring to the reboot or the original with Tobey and Dr. Octopus? If the reboot then I wasn't too keen on it, but the Tobey one is a classic imho.

The reboot. Keep in mind, I love all of them, but I was meaning to write the first film in the reboot series, not the second.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I have a major soft spot for super hero flicks and this reboot of the Tobey Maguire trilogy happens to be one of my favorites. Loved every minute of it.
    Are you referring to the reboot or the original with Tobey and Dr. Octopus? If the reboot then I wasn't too keen on it, but the Tobey one is a classic imho.

The reboot. Keep in mind, I love all of them, but I was meaning to write the first film in the reboot series, not the second.
    Ok, that's what I thought. I only saw that once in the theatre. The Gwen thing at the end was a bit too deep for me although I realize it's canon. Given it's been a while, I should check it out again.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    L'Avventura

One of cinema's greatest masterpieces featuring OHMSS's very own Gabriele Ferzetti and the stunning Monica Vitti. Always wonder what my actual favourite film is, this one or Le mépris.

Anyway, if you love cinema I strongly advise to watch these two gems.

Absolutely amazing film.

@Tuulia, season three of 'Peaky Blinders' is going on now, and I think this new season debuts in its entirety on Netflix in just a couple of days. Glad you like it, I was very impressed with it and enjoyed it immensely.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 They just confirmed Peaky Blinders has been renewed for a 4th and 5th season.
    @Creasy47 They just confirmed Peaky Blinders has been renewed for a 4th and 5th season.

Whaaaat? That's perfectly okay with me, great way to start the day. Can't wait to enjoy season three in its entirety in one sitting.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Duke Of Burgundy (2015)

Very good film. Surprised how much I liked it.

A real 70's vibe to this, beautifully photographed and in the vein of Mario Bava's output.

The butterfly references can get a bit heavy handed as the film examines the submissive/dominant relationship between two women. But all is not what it seems.

A wonderful opening sequence sets the film up and then pulls the rug from under your feet with a suprising reveal.

Can see why it's had such good reviews.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Thanks to the help of @Creasy47

Taken (2008) and John Wick (2014)

Brilliant films. Taken proved Liam Neeson as a true action hero. Once the movie gets going properly, Liam is a proper badass and shows no mercy to any villains: the way he leaves the electricity flowing in the guy's body when leaving, or when he shoots his friend's wife, or when he empties his clip in the guy in the elevator, Neeson is a force to be reckoned with.

As for John Wick, Keanu Reeves is just a legend. That nightclub shootout is probably the most impressive gunfight I have ever seen caught on film. And when Keanu destroys everything in the church, or in his house at the start... Insane body count. Can't wait for the sequel next year.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Team America: World Police

This is seriously one of the best films since the millennium. Every time I see it I'm blown away. A gag a minute, and so onpoint with its political/cultural satire.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, I too loved Team America, along with Taken and John Wick, one of my favourite
    Fight sequences in JW is the first attack on his home by the Gansters henchmen.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Spotlight 2015

Fantastic, love me a good journalist film and while I can't put it up there with All The Presidents Men & Zodiac it's definitely highly recommended.

No grandstanding or over manipultion here, no sentimentality laboured. Just told plainly and quite brilliantly by a great ensemble of actors.

4/5
    Creed The Rocky films are my go to films for inspiration and motivation, Creed is exceptional and hits many emotional cords. One of the best films I have seen in the last few years, powerful stuff.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creed The Rocky films are my go to films for inspiration and motivation, Creed is exceptional and hits many emotional cords. One of the best films I have seen in the last few years, powerful stuff.
    In other words, a must-see?
    chrisisall wrote: »

Yeah man my eyes welled up a few times, this film is awesome Stallone and B. Jordan are awesome.

Yeah man my eyes welled up a few times, this film is awesome Stallone and B. Jordan are awesome.
    On my list.
    :)>-
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432

On my list.
    :)>-
    I heard it was good prior to watching it, I did not expect it to be this good highly recommend.

Edited: Bought the Creed soundtrack it's dam good, Ludwig Goransson should be scoring Bond very talented.

Bond reference in the film
    There is a scene in the film where Creed is watching Skyfall at Rockys house.
    Creed was great.
    @fire_and_ice, and when that scene happens when they're watching SF, almost everyone is sleeping!
    Creed was great.

Writer and director Ryan Coogler is very talented, it's obvious how much he loves Rocky.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creed was a truly excellent film. If I remember correctly, the SF reference is that of the scene where the train crashes through the ceiling? I guess MGM is free to use its own property.
    Creed was a truly excellent film. If I remember correctly, the SF reference is that of the scene where the train crashes through the ceiling? I guess MGM is free to use its own property.

That's the scene interesting that it was put in, Coogler must be a Bond fan.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice, and when that scene happens when they're watching SF, almost everyone is sleeping!
    Not being a fan of SF ill resist being disparaging toward it.

;))
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited May 2016 Posts: 543
    X-Men: Apocalypse
    I liked it, didn't blow me away though. I liked the characters - McAvoy and Fassbander always put good performances for these films. The new kids were fine, but I felt they were just short of the original cast especially Jean. My sister and I agree that we liked Famke Janssen better. The four horsemen aside from Magneto were just there, weren't really given much to do, and whatever they did wasn't great. The action was ok, and Apocalypse was menacing at first, but in the end, it felt like his plan wasn't as threatning?. Also something I liked from the previous two films is that they incorporated a historic event into their storyline (Cuban missile crisis in FC, Vietnam War in DOFP), and they didn't do that in this one. There was talk of superpowers, but I felt they could have done more with the Cold War and such, but I guess Apocalypse is so above that it wouldn't have worked out. B-
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Chronicle
    Compelling performances in a ludicrous plot about 3 high school students developing unrealistic powers after discovering a mysterious object in an underground hole. It's themes of dysfunction actually make it difficult to watch in parts. Regardless, I would highly recommend it. I'm curious to see other's opinions of this film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Non-Stop (2014)

I was in the mood for some Liam Neeson badassery tonight, & so put on this recent airplane thriller. Neeson plays air marshall Bill Marks, who boards an international flight from New York to London. He's had some personal tragedy in his life, and has taken to the bottle - so is a less than perfect individual.

During the flight, he begins to receive strange texts on his secure phone from an anonymous perpetrator stating that someone will die shortly enroute. When that prediction comes true, Marks spends the rest of the film attempting to locate the offender & save the passengers, and eventually the plane, from catastrophe.

If you liked Executive Decision, Passenger 57, Red Eye, Flightplan or Air Force One (and I did), then you're sure to enjoy this film. Actually, if you like Neeson as Bryan Mills in the Taken series, you'll probably like it too, because like Mills, Marks is a man who's not to be messed with.

The film also stars the always excellent Julianne Moore, as well as Michelle Dockery (who really should be in a Bond film - I'd like to see her as MP one day actually) of Downton Abbey fame. Lupita Nyong'o also has a small part.

Recommended.
    Oh man... my list is growing long now....
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    LOTR: FoTr and T2T.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

And to think Ryan Coogler who wrote and directed it was only 28 at the time of shooting it.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Captain America: Winter Soldier.

Decided to take a short break from arthouse cinema with this one. I quite liked it but I prefer First Avenger without a doubt. For me atmosphere is very important and it's the retro vibe of the first one that I definitely prefer. For the same I still like The Rocketeer better than most of these newer superhero films.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Chronicle
    Compelling performances in a ludicrous plot about 3 high school students developing unrealistic powers after discovering a mysterious object in an underground hole. It's themes of dysfunction actually make it difficult to watch in parts. Regardless, I would highly recommend it. I'm curious to see other's opinions of this film.

Certainly an interesting spin on the 'found footage' genre.

Very impressive in parts (loved the scene where they play catch high in the clouds!) and some of the action in the climax is very well done.

Thought the director would be perfect for a superhero movie and then he went and made The Fantastic Four......
    doubleoego wrote: »

And to think Ryan Coogler who wrote and directed it was only 28 at the time of shooting it.

I had to look twice when checking his age on IMDB, Black Panther is going to be some movie.
    Chronicle

It's a film I own and rate highly, it's a good deconstruction of superhero and on such a low budget. Josh Trank showcases his obvious talent, I am not a fan of found footage type movies though this works well. The main characters have real life issues and I like the way there new found abilities magnify what lies within each character, there are a few nods to Superman also which I like.

Man on Fire (2004)

Well, our very own @Creasy47 is such a badass, they had to get Denzel Washington to portray him in this movie. And what a f*cking badass. His relationship with the little girl is quite adorable, but once shit gets real, Denzel's Creasy is one tough guy. He starts of by chopping fingers, then uses a shotgun to perforate people, he attacks a police convoy with a bazooka, stuffs a handmade bomb into the ass of a villain... One of the best revenge films I've ever seen, a fantastic soundtrack, energetic directing from the late Tony Scott, and probably my favorite performance from Denzel. And let's not forget the presence of Bond alumni Giancarlo Giannini and Christopher Walken.