Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    After discovering '13 Assassins' last night, I needed some more badass movies I had never seen before, so I just finished a double bill of:

Predator (1987) and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)

God damn, this was awesome. 'Predator' is one of the most fun films I've ever seen. Arnie is the king of badasses in this one, and mixed with intense action scenes and tons of one liners, I had a blast for the whole runtime. As for 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang', I've seen 'The Nice Guys' a few weeks ago, and I had the same level of fun with this film. Tons of humour, violence, a killer soundtrack, fantastic plot and powerhouse performances from Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr.

The first time you've seen Predator?!!!

What other cool 80's movies have you yet to see?!!!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Plenty, I'm sure, I've got lots still to see. From the 1980's I've seen Commando, The Terminator, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, Indiana Jones 1-3, Robocop, the Rambo's and the Rocky's.
    Long as you've seen Robocop!!!

Not sure if you've seen them but another few must see 80's movies are, Scarface, Back To The Future, Brazil, Red Heat and Aliens
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I've seen those apart from 'Red Heat', so thanks for adding another film to my watch list! :)>-
    No problem. Red Heat is classic Arnie. Plays a Russian cop with a big gun causing mayhem in the USA!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @DaltonCraig007, don't hesitate to try Raw Deal, as well!
    Thanks, @ClarkDevlin! Arnie is a beast.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @GoldenGun, happy to see so many people on these forums that loved 'The Great Beauty' as much as I did. You have to check out 'Youth' next, another wonderful movie by Sorrentino.

@ClarkDevlin, I enjoyed 'Raw Deal' so much the first time I saw it that I had to shell out for an import blu-ray. Very entertaining, especially the ending!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Glad you enjoyed Predator @DaltonCraig007. Predator 2 with Danny Glover is quite good too, although quite different.

Arnold at his peak was indeed a beast.

Try to check out Eraser as well.
    Thanks, @ClarkDevlin! Arnie is a beast.
    You know it!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin, I enjoyed 'Raw Deal' so much the first time I saw it that I had to shell out for an import blu-ray. Very entertaining, especially the ending!
    As did I, @Creasy47. I enjoyed that movie thoroughly. And the ending was definitely spectacular! I'll never forget that moment I fell in love with a Calico weapon (used in the climax).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Grimsby Brothers, a funny but very, very crude and rude comedy . :D
    As soon as I learned it was Sacha Baron Cohen, I backed away from it.
    The hateful eight. Tarantino's worst film. Too crude and overated.
    001 wrote: »
    Don't know about the worst, as Death Proof is somewhere down the bottom, too. But, I agree it's overrated.
    Don't know about the worst, as Death Proof is somewhere down the bottom, too. But, I agree it's overrated.
    Not a huge fan of it myself, but it was ok. I preferred Django & Inglorious. I rank it close to Kill Bill Vol 2.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Have to say, I loved it, really loved it. I'd rate it very highly indeed.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of it myself, but it was ok. I preferred Django & Inglorious. I rank it close to Kill Bill Vol 2.
    Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, the Kill Bill films and Inglourious Basterds are equally good for me! These are just... Wow!
    Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, the Kill Bill films and Inglourious Basterds are equally good for me! These are just... Wow!
    I actually liked Jackie Brown too although I realize it's not quite up to the same level.
    I actually liked Jackie Brown too although I realize it's not quite up to the same level.
    It isn't, but nevertheless a great film!
    After @bondjames mentioned this film on another thread a few days ago, I decided to give it watch:

The Peacemaker (1997)

Bloody fantastic. Wall to wall action from start to finish (a common occurrence in 1997 it seems, thanks to TND and a few others). I am a big fan of George Clooney but I never thought he could be this badass. The man was firing on all cylinders for 2 hours, taking no bullsh*t from anything or anyone. Nicole Kidman is lovely as always, and the film features another stellar soundtrack from Hans Zimmer. This will probably have very good rewatchability for me - not a moment to take out breathe between intense action scenes, and a legendary Clooney destroying the enemy force.
    Glad you enjoyed it @DaltonCraig007. I haven't watched it again, even though I said I would, but your review has inspired me to do it as soon as I can.

Clooney is really on top of his game here. I can't believe he made this film and the disastrous shambles that was Batman and Robin in the same year.

For another killer film with Clooney I highly recommend Out of Sight. He and Jlo are electric in that one. Chemistry that lights up the screen.
    Thanks @bondjames, I have 'Raw Deal'/'Red Heat'/'Eraser' with Arnie to see as well, so thanks for adding more badass action/crime films to the list.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Shadow (1994). very cool, great Goldsmith soundtrack. Very recommended.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Part of the Cillian Murphy project (though he only had a small role in each) :

Cold Mountain (2003)
    An American Civil war drama with a romance. So... Nicole Kidman, Jude Law, Renee Zellweger, Donald Sutherland, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Brendan Gleeson, Natalie Portman, etc. A big cast, and not a bad one, either. A big, sprawling story, but despite some predictable turns pretty good. I thought the actors in supporting roles were mostly better and more believable and interesting than the two leads.

Girl With A Pearl Earring (2003)
    A movie like a series of beautiful paintings. Scarlett Johansson, Colin Firth, Tom Wilkinson. I'm sure I had seen this before, but didn't remember a damned thing. Liked it though. And yes, it looked great.

Part of the Michael Fassbender project (lead in first, supporting in second):

Centurion (2010)
    More gore and violence than character or anything else particularly interesting.

Haywire (2012)
    A Steven Soderbergh thriller. Didn't manage to fully hold my interest, but certainly wasn't bad.

220px-The_Gift_2015_Film_Poster1.png220px-Beverly_Hills_Ninja_poster.jpg220px-The_International_poster.jpg

The Gift (2015)
    Written, directed, produced and starring Joel Edgerton - plus I read good things about it, so I was interested. Good.

Beverly Hills Ninja (1997)
    I blame thank Christian Bale; I don't think I ever would have watched this without him mentioning it a few times as his favourite movie when asked for one. I obviously never took him seriously, it's just his humour, but I was curious all the same. I fully expected this to be crap, but to my surprise it actually made me laugh far more than most comedies do, so I'm happy I watched it. I may even have to re-watch.
    (For some strange reason, while I was sitting in dentist's chair today, my mind wandered off to this movie, and I had to force myself to quickly think about something else in order not to start laughing.)

The International (2009)
    Stylish. Interesting story-wise. Naomi Watts I like, but Clive Owen is sadly boring and one-note, but serviceable for a movie like this.

Blackhat (2015)
    Now talking of stylish movies and boring leads... The movie looked good - as usual for Mann. Some of the visual stuff was very enjoyable. Chris Hemsworth was predictably meh, and the romance was silly, too sudden and not even remotely believable. On the whole not a bad movie, but lesser Mann.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Haywire (2012)
    A Steven Soderbergh thriller. Didn't manage to fully hold my interest, but certainly wasn't bad.
    The International (2009)
    Stylish. Interesting story-wise. Naomi Watts I like, but Clive Owen is sadly boring and one-note, but serviceable for a movie like this.
    Blackhat (2015)
    Now talking of stylish movies and boring leads... The movie looked good - as usual for Mann. Some of the visual stuff was very enjoyable. Chris Hemsworth was predictably meh, and the romance was silly, too sudden and not even remotely believable. On the whole not a bad movie, but lesser Mann.

@Tuulia, you need to curb your 'elitist reviewer mentality' here & just enjoy the bloody movies. =))
    @chrisisall - I take it your opinions of those movies are different than mine then? Therefore I'm elitist and my mentality is wrong? Maybe you should get over yourself. I didn't think those three were anything special, but none of them were bad, either. I tried to express that, and did it badly I guess, sorry about that. And I simply don't care for Owen or Hemsworth. I wouldn't think you're stupid if you do. Different tastes and opinions.
    @Tuulia, I love Haywire & The International, but Blackhat didn't do too much for me. Hemsworth confirmed that he is as wooden as they come. Awful.
    @bondjames, I thought Blackhat was the least interesting of those three, which is unfortunate, especially as I really wanted to like it more. And why Chris Hemsworth ever got cast in it at all, never mind as the lead is just strange. Who could possibly think it was a good idea?
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Maybe you should get over yourself.
    Over and over. I need to apologize... and I must remember that I like "Batman & Robin"... :-O
    Agreed @Tuulia. I'm a big Michael Mann fan, but apart from a few scenes the film really didn't do much for me. It would have been far better with a more charismatic lead who fit the profile of a hacker more readily. Hemsworth was not that man.
    ----

Thanks to @DaltonCraig007's great review earlier, I finally got round to watching The Peacemaker (1997) again, after about a decade.

Although I've recommended the film here before and am a big proponent of it, it completely blew me away again and was so much better than even I remembered it. Amazing action from start to finish, it features George Clooney in superb form as a US Army Special Forces Lieutenant, Nicole Kidman as a White house nuclear expert & his temporary boss, Armin Mueller-Stahl as Clooney's Russian counterpart, & Marcel Iures as a disaffected Yugoslav & the villain.

It remains one of my favourite films of the late 90's. Watching it tonight took me back to all those years ago when I first saw it in the theatre. It's a James Bond film in all but name. I remember now that this was the film which soured me on EON's efforts from the 90's. While this movie is intensely gritty, tense & features a serious hard-ass in Clooney, the Bond films from 1997 to the early 00's were anything but. I also remember thinking then that EON seriously needed to get a Bond actor with some machismo, like Clooney shows in this film. They eventually did and the rest is history. Nicole Kidman really impressed me in this film. She's credible and alluring in a geeky sort of way as Dr. Kelly.

I also realized today for the first time that two of my favourite films, this one and Angels and Demons, feature a protagonist being interrupted in the pool by a crisis: Kidman in this film, and Hanks in the Brown adaptation. They also feature Armin Mueller-Stahl.

Incidentally, I'm open to a Bond film in New York again. The climax of this one is in Manhattan, and it's a great backdrop, used as well here as it was in Die Hard 3 & The Bourne Ultimatum.

Highly recommended for fans of the action thriller genre.