No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree on Deep Impact being a PoS, but she got great performances out of Clooney & Kidman in The Peacemaker, and the film had a few set pieces only, while still remaining relatively tense. Clooney actually reminded me a little of Connery in that one, in terms of his sheer masculinity.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I expected too much from The Peacemaker when I watched it, first. It just didn't turn out the way I was hoping for. But, I do agree that Clooney had a Connery-like presence in that film, and Kidman, as usual, was perfect. She's great in any role she plays.
    I think because The Peacemaker was the first movie from Deamworks people were expecting some great world changing movie, which of course it wasnt, so some people were naturally somewhat disappointed. It doesnt alter the fact that its a very proficient thriller and certainly better than some recent Bonds, DAD and WINE in particular.
    Definitely disagree on the last part, to be honest.

DAD and TWINE are superior to The Peacemaker.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

DAD and TWINE are superior to The Peacemaker.
    Agreed.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm afraid I preferred The Peacemaker. DAD/TWINE are Bond films so they will always have a special place for me (well, maybe not TWINE) but I can honestly say that I really like The Peacemaker. As I said, it goes in the blu ray player tonight on account of this discussion.
    I'm okay with Bier getting a shot at Bond...

But if Katharine Bigelow, Alfonso Cuaron, Denis Villeneuve, Christopher Nolan, Steven Soderbergh, Duncan Jones, Nicolas Winding Refn, Morten Tyldum, etc are in the running, she honestly shouldn't be chosen over any of them.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    RC7 wrote: »
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Giving a low key director who specializes in quiet romance/tragedy/family drama films a $200 million(+) blockbuster that has to deliver massive cutting edge action sequences...is...odd.

Mendes has also come very short in terms of action sequences, in comparison with CR and QOS. I respect what he was trying to do with his films, but after CR and QOS set the bar so high in terms of making Craig's Bond an action Hero with a capital H, he dropped the ball big time.

The opening of SF is head and shoulders above anything in QoS.

I wouldn't say head and shoulders. The QOS and SF PTSs are very different beasts. I'd probably have them about level - with SF shading it due to having more drama going on the background and not having shit editing.

After the SF PTS though name another top notch action sequence Mendes delivers in a further 5 hours of screen time?

The tube scene in SF is nice and tense but there's no jaw dropping action and other than that there's just a few fights and a big shootout in the rest of the film.

There's an attempt to redress this in SP by having more action but apart from the Hinx fight (and as you said we are talking action sequences here not fights) the results are distinctly underwhelming.

The PTS and plane crash are less than the sum of their parts, the car chase only stutters into life when they go down onto the river embankment and the finale on the Thames is dismally pedestrian.

I would say most other directors blow away anything Mendes delivered in terms of action.

Just off the top of my head I'd rank the directors in terms of action:

1. Glen
    2. Campbell
    3. Hunt
    4. Young
    5. Gilbert
    6. Hamilton
    7. Spotiswoode
    8. Forster
    9. Mendes
    10. Tamahori
    11. Apted

Yes the Hinx fight is certainly one of the top 5 fights in the series (Grant, Trevelyan, Stairwell and Fisher are the others since you ask) but other than that? The last two films really haven't been up to snuff action wise.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Giving a low key director who specializes in quiet romance/tragedy/family drama films a $200 million(+) blockbuster that has to deliver massive cutting edge action sequences...is...odd.

Mendes has also come very short in terms of action sequences, in comparison with CR and QOS. I respect what he was trying to do with his films, but after CR and QOS set the bar so high in terms of making Craig's Bond an action Hero with a capital H, he dropped the ball big time.

The opening of SF is head and shoulders above anything in QoS.

I wouldn't say head and shoulders. The QOS and SF PTSs are very different beasts. I'd probably have them about level - with SF shading it due to having more drama going on the background and not having shit editing.

After the SF PTS though name another top notch action sequence Mendes delivers in a further 5 hours of screen time?

The tube scene in SF is nice and tense but there's no jaw dropping action and other than that there's just a few fights and a big shootout in the rest of the film.

There's an attempt to redress this in SP by having more action but apart from the Hinx fight (and as you said we are talking action sequences here not fights) the results are distinctly underwhelming.

The PTS and plane crash are less than the sum of their parts, the car chase only stutters into life when they go down onto the river embankment and the finale on the Thames is dismally pedestrian.

I would say most other directors blow away anything Mendes delivered in terms of action.

Just off the top of my head I'd rank the directors in terms of action:

1. Glen
    2. Campbell
    3. Hunt
    4. Young
    5. Gilbert
    6. Hamilton
    7. Spotiswoode
    8. Forster
    9. Mendes
    10. Tamahori
    11. Apted

Yes the Hinx fight is certainly one of the top 5 fights in the series (Grant, Trevelyan, Stairwell and Fisher are the others since you ask) but other than that? The last two films really haven't been up to snuff action wise.

I agree mostly with your ranking except I would switch Glen and Campbell. Glen's action at times a bit messy at least to me.

Both very good at drawing the actors and the audience into the action.
    I will be the new Bond director. Get used to it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    20 episodes of 'Purity' confirmed; production starts in 2017 and will air in installments over the course of two years:

http://deadline.com/2016/06/purity-limited-series-starring-daniel-craig-20-episode-order-showtime-1201765269/
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    20 episodes of 'Purity' confirmed; production starts in 2017 and will air in installments over the course of two years:

http://deadline.com/2016/06/purity-limited-series-starring-daniel-craig-20-episode-order-showtime-1201765269/

Jesus Christ. Things are happening quickly now.
  • http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/purity-showtime-daniel-craig-scott-rudin-1201753115/

"Sources say the project is a megabucks deal for “James Bond” star Craig, who will also serve as an exec producer on “Purity.”"

Not surprising.
    http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/purity-showtime-daniel-craig-scott-rudin-1201753115/

"Sources say the project is a megabucks deal for “James Bond” star Craig, who will also serve as an exec producer on “Purity.”"

Not surprising.

Stunning. The news keeps flowing.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Todd Field is directing Purity. And so the odd little degrees of separation play out...

Field directed Little Children, starring Sam Mendes's ex, Kate Winslet. BTW: Winslet starred with DC in A Connecticut Kid in King Arthur's Court, long before both became stars.

Field's composer of choice is...Thomas Newman. I'd expect him to score (at least the theme) for Purity, too.
    Regard the latest director rumors, all I'm going to say is the series has become way to PC for me and not enough of a larger than life fantastic adventure. I grew up on the early 60's films and the new ones are way too grounded in reality for my taste. I know.... different tastes for different times but I enjoyed Mission Impossible, Kingsmen and The Man from UNCLE last year a lot more than 007.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

What does this mean for DC?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Finally, some sensible talk from the media:

Why Daniel Craig Will Return as James Bond.
    @jake24, it means he'll shoot all twenty episodes next year, and they'll be released (I can only assume) in two installments, one in 2017 and one in 2018 - or one in 2018 and one in 2019.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

at last! couldn't agree more. it ain't over til it's over. and, for mr. Craig, it won't be for a while yet :)
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Yep. Sense from them is rare.
    What if Craig pulls a DAF, where he sits out a film, and comes back for Bond 26???
    FoxRox wrote: »
    What if Craig pulls a DAF, where he sits out a film, and comes back for Bond 26???

The odds of them hiring a new actor, just to awkwardly bring Craig back (who at this point would be near his mid-50's) for one more movie, are slim-to-none.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »
    Add me to the pro-Peacemaker list!

And me. Great set pieces, solid plot, believable villain and a great score. The last half hour is pretty tense and is only overshadowed by the ridiculous ticking clock sequence at the end.
    FoxRox wrote: »

It depends how B25 does at the box office. That could well happen.
  • RC7RC7
    edited June 2016 Posts: 10,512
    delfloria wrote: »
    Regard the latest director rumors, all I'm going to say is the series has become way to PC for me and not enough of a larger than life fantastic adventure. I grew up on the early 60's films and the new ones are way too grounded in reality for my taste. I know.... different tastes for different times but I enjoyed Mission Impossible, Kingsmen and The Man from UNCLE last year a lot more than 007.

Can't linger in the past, though. If UNCLE is going for the next 50 years I'll happily retract that. In fact, if it's going for the next 10 I will.
    Daniel Craig's new tv show is go!
    Showtime Lands Daniel Craig, Scott Rudin Limited Series ‘Purity’

Showtime has given a straight-to-series pickup to the drama with a hefty 20-episode order, which will air over the course of two years. Production begins in 2017.

Well that means Craig can't commit to Bond in 2017? Filming of Bond 25 can start Jan 2018 so who knows, perhaps Craig can be available but it seems as if Craig is not coming back. Seems it's all pointing to a new guy for Bond 25. Times they are a changing! \:D/
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig's new tv show is go!
    Showtime Lands Daniel Craig, Scott Rudin Limited Series ‘Purity’

Showtime has given a straight-to-series pickup to the drama with a hefty 20-episode order, which will air over the course of two years. Production begins in 2017.

Well that means Craig can't commit to Bond in 2017? Filming of Bond 25 can start Jan 2018 so who knows, perhaps Craig can be available but it seems as if Craig is not coming back. Seems it's all pointing to a new guy for Bond 25. Times they are a changing! \:D/

I know, It's incredible how quick its all happening. \m/
    With Craig filming his new tv series in 2017 he can 100% make it for bond 25 with a Nov 2018 release date. Baring he doesn't sign up for anything else.