Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With all the reviews and the odd clip or two I've seen, I am interested in this. However, I realize I'd have to see both 'Ant-Man' (seems like it could be good) and 'Age of Ultron' beforehand, and I gave the latter a try once and couldn't make it through ten minutes, and I really don't think I'm up for trying to sit through it again.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Am I the only person on the planet who just isn't excited or impressed with Civil war? I mean it's looking like a rental for me but if it really is the best thing ever maybe I will see it in theaters

Ghat-dammit so wait, you haven't even seen the film yet and you've been making the statements you've been making? :)) :))

What a waste of my time.

No one is saying it's the best thing ever but just go and see the movie if you're going to be commenting because you just come off as a disgruntled hater. I went to see BvS twice. Seriously, all your talk about WB/DC will do this and that and will be the talk of the town at comic con and so on and so forth and yet you haven't seen the biggest movie of the summer (so far)? Mate, you're a funny guy.

Anyway, it's upto you.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Imo Ultron can be skipped and Ant anyway. You'll get CW fine nonetheless. Or someone could summarise the little info you need from those 2 movies in words:) @Creasy47
    If anything, I'd just pull up synopsis descriptions for both. I don't own them and can't seem to find a suitable platform for watching them for free/cheap without resorting to going online and streaming them or having to purchase them, and since I'd prefer not to have to blind buy them, it looks like I may have to skip 'em and hope I'm not too lost if I do end up seeing it.
    Ant-man I saw and it felt really bland and not interesting same with iron man 3 and Age of ultron I didn't bother seeing Thor dark world or iron man 2 and now we come to civil war I will see it more then likely next weekend but all the previews and trailers feel off to me maybe I am getting marvel fatigue or to be bluntly honest I am jealous that they are succeeding and DC is failing like I said I will see it next weekend more then likely and decide from there
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Am I the only person on the planet who just isn't excited or impressed with Civil war? I mean it's looking like a rental for me but if it really is the best thing ever maybe I will see it in theaters
    IMO it makes a lot out of the comic book charactersand has great action scenes, but I much preferred BvS on a purely visual level.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    With all the reviews and the odd clip or two I've seen, I am interested in this. However, I realize I'd have to see both 'Ant-Man' (seems like it could be good) and 'Age of Ultron' beforehand, and I gave the latter a try once and couldn't make it through ten minutes, and I really don't think I'm up for trying to sit through it again.
    No way you need to see any other film to understand CW, but I still would recommend Ant-Man, it´s neat, tight, and entertaining.

doubleoego wrote: »

Ghat-dammit so wait, you haven't even seen the film yet and you've been making the statements you've been making? :)) :))

What a waste of my time.

No one is saying it's the best thing ever but just go and see the movie if you're going to be commenting because you just come off as a disgruntled hater. I went to see BvS twice. Seriously, all your talk about WB/DC will do this and that and will be the talk of the town at comic con and so on and so forth and yet you haven't seen the biggest movie of the summer (so far)? Mate, you're a funny guy.

Anyway, it's upto you.
    It´s rather intelligent of him to have some thoughts about the film before he goes to see it. All of us do that. It´s your decision if such a thing wastes your time, if I may say so.

Ant-man I saw and it felt really bland and not interesting same with iron man 3 and Age of ultron I didn't bother seeing Thor dark world or iron man 2 and now we come to civil war I will see it more then likely next weekend but all the previews and trailers feel off to me maybe I am getting marvel fatigue or to be bluntly honest I am jealous that they are succeeding and DC is failing like I said I will see it next weekend more then likely and decide from there

That is more than likely the case.

I'm sure you can understand by now why so many people have a strong dislike for BvS and Snyder. It's not always to do with bias or favouritism but the fact that certain "talent" are destroying hopes, dreams and the excitement of people looking forward to seeing beloved characters. We are on a Bond site so this shouldn't be new to you. When Tamohori massacred DAD he was at the top of many fans' hate list and for some he still is along with the movie itself.

BvS should have been a critical and financial juggernaut but it's not. The film makers cocked up BIG TIME. BvS is at $868Million since March and CW that only came out within the last 11 days has made over $700Million already!

BvS' opening weekend was proof that it could do big business but word of mouth and the bad reviews killed it. Had BvS been made properly, with the right vision and respect for the source material, it could have made in excess of $1.2Billion. It had a unique, never seen before novelty factor and could have been movie of the summer instead of being a candidate for cinematic joke of the year.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    There's no question in my mind that the currently reimagined Batman is not a patch on Nolan's creation, who I find definitive. Heck, it's arguably not up to the standards of Burton/Keaton's incarnation either. That's a problem, because we have those two to compare to.

The Marvel creations have worked for the most part because they are charismatic & believable characterizations of what's on the written page. However, when those characters are done poorly (Fantastic Four, standalone Hulk films, Spidey with Garfield) then they fail too. They've also worked because there is nothing to benchmark against except for the comics. Moreover, some of the newer characters are getting a 'halo' glow from being associated with the established stars through Avengers etc.

When they come to reimagine some of these characters (when the current crop of actors retire from the role) that's when they may face the same questions as what happened with Batman & even Superman, who were done better before.
    bondjames wrote: »
    There's no question in my mind that the currently reimagined Batman is not a patch on Nolan's creation, who I find definitive. Heck, it's arguably not up to the standards of Burton/Keaton's incarnation either. That's a problem, because we have those two to compare to.

The Marvel creations have worked for the most part because they are charismatic & believable characterizations of what's on the written page. However, when those characters are done poorly (Fantastic Four, standalone Hulk films, Spidey with Garfield) then they fail too. They've also worked because there is nothing to benchmark against except for the comics. Moreover, some of the newer characters are getting a 'halo' glow from being associated with the established stars through Avengers etc.

When they come to reimagine some of these characters (when the current crop of actors retire from the role) that's when they may face the same questions as what happened with Batman & even Superman, who were done better before.

Although they are Marvel characters, with exception of the second Hulk film with Ed Norton, those movies weren't made by Disney/Marvel Studios. That being said, as we all know Disney/MS don't always get it right even their weaker movies aren't outright terrible films but they are learning and improving and hopefully that's something they can continue. Fox are hit and miss with their X-Men movies, their first 2 Fantastic 4 movies were mediocre fluff and the reboot was DOA but Fox scored HUGE critically and financially with Deadpool. As for Sony, I've never been that enamoured with any of their spider-man films but spider-man 1 and 2 were game changers and were huge critical and financial hits. Spider-Man 3 sucked ass and the Garfield movies were an abomination. Sony striking that deal with Disney/MS to have Spidey be part of the MCU was the best business decision Sony made in years.

Anyway, for the time being and foreseeable future Disney/Marvel continue to dominate this particular market. Hopefully their output of films maintain a high level of quality and success and other studios with their respective properties can follow suit. Nolan's first 2 Batman films were great, although I cant stand the way Nolan shoots action but at least one good thing to come out of BvS is, Batfleck makes a great Bat-Man and if/when written well, he'll easily be widely regarded as the best Bat-Man ever if he isn't already.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Nolan's first 2 Batman films were great, although I cant stand the way Nolan shoots action but at least one good thing to come out of BvS is, Batfleck makes a great Bat-Man and if/when written well, he'll easily be widely regarded as the best Bat-Man ever if he isn't already.
    I agree that Nolan is not great with action, but he is good with suspense, and I think he's actually better with action than Mendes for example. When I look at the key sequences in BB, TDK & even TDKR, they all looked 'real' (even if they weren't) and they played out quite intensely on screen. I much prefer that to Snyder's CGI overload as an example. I'm thinking in particular of Batman in Hong Kong, the bank heist & the truck flip in TDK, the break from Ra's Al Ghul's place in BB, the plane theft & initial fight with Bain in TDKR.

I still think that DC is suffering from Supes/Bat being done better before (at least in the minds of many, myself included). Marvel may face the same issues down the road. How they can replace Downey JR. as Iron Man or even Evans as Cap just beats me.
    I don't even want to think about it. Right now I'm good for at least the next 3 to 4 years.

On another note, since the reviews came out for BvS this has been a growing thing and with the negative reviews coming out for the new X-Men movie it really is taking things to new heights of stupidity. It's incredibly sad and pathetic and ironically enough serves as complementary to Disney/Marvel making them look all the more greater than they are and an embarrassment of epic proportions to other fanbases...

Petition launched to 'stop Disney from paying critics'

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/x-men-apocalypse/40548/petition-launched-to-stop-disney-from-paying-critics

200w_d.gif
    boldfinger wrote: »
    IMO it makes a lot out of the comic book charactersand has great action scenes, but I much preferred BvS on a purely visual level.

No, you're not the only one.

tumblr_o711n2WYCG1rov369o1_1280.jpg

Magnificent.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What Marvel does best, besides the Nolan Batman movies, is character interaction. We get invested in their psyche. And their interactions.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,694
    @doubleoego I must say, being a rookie in comics stuff, I didn't expect anything from Black Panther because I knew nothing about the character. It was this new Spidey that got my excitement going, but I read all your hype about BP with great attention. He totally blew my socks off, as did Spidey. Boseman was a friggin beast. He's the new Denzel Washington in terms of pure machismo and charisma. Couldn't take my eyes off him, whether he had his BP suit on or not. Not many actors (outside of the Bond's) has this effect on me (Denzel, Neeson, Damon, Bale, Hardy would be the other elites for me).

• RC7RC7
    Black Panther is the nuts and the standalone film will hopefully be amazing. I've still not seen CW (this happens when you have baby. I didn't think it was true.) but I can't see them cocking him up. The whole aesthetic should be awesome.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    RC7 wrote: »
    Black Panther is the nuts and the standalone film will hopefully be amazing. I've still not seen CW (this happens when you have baby. I didn't think it was true.) but I can't see them cocking him up. The whole aesthetic should be awesome.
    You're definitely in for a treat, @RC7. This is without a doubt Marvel's best outing.
  • RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    You're definitely in for a treat, @RC7. This is without a doubt Marvel's best outing.

I was a fan of WS, up there in the best three they've produced so I'm assuming I'll enjoy it.
    @doubleoego I must say, being a rookie in comics stuff, I didn't expect anything from Black Panther because I knew nothing about the character. It was this new Spidey that got my excitement going, but I read all your hype about BP with great attention. He totally blew my socks off, as did Spidey. Boseman was a friggin beast. He's the new Denzel Washington in terms of pure machismo and charisma. Couldn't take my eyes off him, whether he had his BP suit on or not. Not many actors (outside of the Bond's) has this effect on me (Denzel, Neeson, Damon, Bale, Hardy would be the other elites for me).

The thing about BP is that he's actually a very difficult character to get right. There's a unique physicality to the role in the way he fights and the way he moves in general and then there's the actual bringing the character of T'Challa to life. The wise, regal, monarchical and utterly badass way he carries himself and his comanding presence where his choice of words allow him to never have to raise his voice to convey his menace or to get his point across requires a strong actor that can balance and deliver successfully such a smooth, badass and stoic character. That being said, because he's a character that doesn't give a fuck about what anyone else thonks or what he'd regard as comparatively trivial issues from his team mates and peers it's easy to sometimes surmise him as being arrogant and a bit of a prick but he's far more complex than that.

T'Challa's quite tricky to pull off because of the nature of who he is and where he comes from. Wakanda is a country thats largely xenophobic which has worked in their favour to being unconquered, not being a victim of colonialism and is the most technologically advanced nation on the world. A royal leader coming from such a place, culturally and mentally puts such a chieften in a conspicuous contrast to someone like Thor for example. The difference is noticeably apparent in how they approach carrying out their positions of influence and leadership. BP is a warrior, a King, the high priest, a politician, a scholar, military strategist, a scientist and intellectual peer of Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Dr. Strange and Reed Richards, the wealthiest comic book character with a networth in the trillions (inspired by the real life richest man to have ever lived, King Mansa Musa of Mali), a combat expert of all known fighting styles and unknown African fighting techniques (The Nuba and Montu Arts) which actually is where every form of martial arts is derived from.

He's not a character that jokes about, he doesnt tolerate nonsense and doesnt suffer fools but his humour is more of the dry sense and his interests are primarily self-centred and focused on the interests of Wakanda; typically portrayed as all business for the most part but coming off as incredibly smooth, charming and unforgivingly ruthless when needs be. Its easy for him to be made to look like the biggest A-hole on the planet in some instances but his disposition of reason, selfless compassion for his people and greater sense of nobility usually stops that from happening but he's usually the only guy in a team or group that unapologetically does whatever he wants irrespective of what everyone else is doing. In CW he didn't give a damn about choosing sides, he just wanted revenge and was determined to kill to achieve it.

Boseman is a brilliant actor and his performances as Jackie Robinson in 42 and as James Brown in get on up cemented my elevated excitement, confidence and overall hype in my eyes as an actor more than capable of delivering on embodying the character and with BP that's what an actor taking on the role has to do, embody it and particularly when it comes to pulling off a credible African accent which Boseman did effortlessly.

With Ryan Coogler co-writing and directing the BP movie, it's going to be bloody amazing.

tumblr_o6isf4E7Dn1rtup1qo1_400.gif
    tumblr_o6isf4E7Dn1rtup1qo2_400.gif
    tumblr_o6isf4E7Dn1rtup1qo7_400.gif
    tumblr_o6isf4E7Dn1rtup1qo4_400.gif
    tumblr_o6isf4E7Dn1rtup1qo5_400.gif
    tumblr_o6isf4E7Dn1rtup1qo6_400.gif
    tumblr_inline_o5d7l7uTAH1sibvk8_540.gif
    tumblr_o6rjmhIwc31rtup1qo1_540.gif
    tumblr_o6rjmhIwc31rtup1qo2_540.gif
    tumblr_o6rjmhIwc31rtup1qo3_500.gif
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Black Panther was nothing but badass in that movie.
    From the 'last movie you watched' thread
    Civil War
    Some mild spoilers ahead

I finally saw it last night and loved it!!! I'd give it a 7 out of 10 easy! (Same as BvS if you're wondering ;) )

As others have said, Spidey & Black Panther stole the show. Civil War had the ideal mix of action and fun-- it's the Mission: Impossible to Batman V Superman's Spectre in a way, if that makes any sense.

One nitpick ... or more of just an observation: for a movie called Civil War, and having read the comic, I didn't feel as though the stakes were all that high. When they fought, it felt more like a brawl than a war. Even Black Widow said to Hawk-Eye 'so we're still friends after this right? Lulz!' In fact, as entertaining as it was, there was waaaaaay too much talking while fighting. It did lower the suspense a bit. It seemed like the only one who was actually there to kill (because, you know, WAR) was Black Panther.
    Not that I expected everyone to want to rip each other's heads off in a giant bloodbath, it still felt too much like a 'play fight'. They could have called the movie Civil Disagreement. The big passionate fight was with Cap & Iron Man at the end.

But I digress, that was the only thing that wasn't perfect. So that's still one hell of a great movie in my eyes! I was in a full energetic theatre too! Everyone cheered when Cap held the helicopter and they roared with laughter when Cap got kissed, and Bucky & Falcon were watching like 'aww yeah'. :))

I'll be seeing this one again and soon!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    From the 'last movie you watched' thread
    Civil War
    Some mild spoilers ahead

I finally saw it last night and loved it!!! I'd give it a 7 out of 10 easy! (Same as BvS if you're wondering ;) )

As others have said, Spidey & Black Panther stole the show. Civil War had the ideal mix of action and fun-- it's the Mission: Impossible to Batman V Superman's Spectre in a way, if that makes any sense.

One nitpick ... or more of just an observation: for a movie called Civil War, and having read the comic, I didn't feel as though the stakes were all that high. When they fought, it felt more like a brawl than a war. Even Black Widow said to Hawk-Eye 'so we're still friends after this right? Lulz!' In fact, as entertaining as it was, there was waaaaaay too much talking while fighting. It did lower the suspense a bit. It seemed like the only one who was actually there to kill (because, you know, WAR) was Black Panther.
    Not that I expected everyone to want to rip each other's heads off in a giant bloodbath, it still felt too much like a 'play fight'. They could have called the movie Civil Disagreement. The big passionate fight was with Cap & Iron Man at the end.

But I digress, that was the only thing that wasn't perfect. So that's still one hell of a great movie in my eyes! I was in a full energetic theatre too! Everyone cheered when Cap held the helicopter and they roared with laughter when Cap got kissed, and Bucky & Falcon were watching like 'aww yeah'. :))

I'll be seeing this one again and soon!

A "play fight" is pretty much what you're gonna get when Spider-Man is in there doing Spider-Man things, because he makes things funny for the audience. That's part of his appeal. And Spidey was just hilarious in this movie, from from his first scene to his last.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Thanks for your post, @doubleoego! I understand the character more, and must I am an even bigger fan of Boseman now.
    http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/batman-vs-superman-blamed-captain-america-civil-war-lower-box-office

I am sorry but what is this article talking about I thought Civil War was breaking every record known to man and now they are saying its under performing?

Hollywood is weird
    I don't even follow that nonsense. You either like a movie or you don't, that's what I say!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Well, I Like them both. None of them are as good as the Winter Soldier, but damn entertaing just the same.
    Well, I Like them both. None of them are as good as the Winter Soldier, but damn entertaing just the same.
    Agreed. Winter Soldier is far better than both of these new entries, but I enjoyed them as well.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/batman-vs-superman-blamed-captain-america-civil-war-lower-box-office

I am sorry but what is this article talking about I thought Civil War was breaking every record known to man and now they are saying its under performing?

Hollywood is weird

I know. It didn't break the 200 millions opening mark that people were predicting for this past weekend, but did people forget it was also Mother's Day!!! People were busy enough with that (I know I was) let alone think about going to the theater (unless they went to see that Mother's Day film).
    @Artemis81, I went out to see a movie on Mother's Day, and there was a huge line at my theater for 'Civil War.'
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    CW is pretty much dominating Switzerland.
    Not on the insane Spectre level but TFA level for sure.