Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who? The Womandarin?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Who? The Womandarin?

If I wasn't laughing, I'd kick your ass for that pun.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's pretty crazy that big money Marvel still forces this kind of thing on its visionaries, as if they don't already make enough from the films and merchandising.

This merchandising crap is the only reason that the Schumacher Batman films exist, for example, and why Batman and Robin are constantly changing gear and suits. The more suit changes, the more action figures you can peddle to the masses.

That's a pretty harmless example, as it didn't greatly affect the film or influence casting, but as we see here, studio control can drastically change films from script to screen.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/05/14/box-office-captain-america-civil-war-drops-74-still-tops-800m-worldwide/#75c45e3d2698

Now batman v superman had a 69% drop and everyone freaked out civil war has a 74% drop and no one seems to care

oh Doubleego where are you my friend?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,691
    Risico007 wrote: »
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/05/14/box-office-captain-america-civil-war-drops-74-still-tops-800m-worldwide/#75c45e3d2698

Now batman v superman had a 69% drop and everyone freaked out civil war has a 74% drop and no one seems to care

oh Doubleego where are you my friend?

Last paragraph of that article:

'If it hits above $72.6 million, it will best Iron Man 3 to snag the eighth-biggest second weekend gross ever behind The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($74.1m), The Dark Knight ($75.1m), Avatar ($75.6m), Avengers: Age of Ultron ($77.7m), The Avengers ($103m), Jurassic World ($106.5m), and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($149m).''

And it did earn more than that figure in its 2nd weekend. So it is in top 8 while BvS is 34th.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @Risico, God bless you, buddy. You always know how to make me chuckle with your entertaining proclivity to lose in such spectacular and embarrassing fashion :))

You're like this lone soldier waking up from unconsciousness on a battlefield, deliriously waving your empty gun around, looking for enemies to aim at and shoot but the only problem is, 1) the battle is over; you have fallen...with considerable ease and the winning army has moved on; and 2) you have no bullets; in fact you came with an unloaded replica firearm.

$957 Million in 17 days. My friend, I suggest you lie back down. B-)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    17 days with the movie only started on May 7th in the US!!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    @Risico, God bless you, buddy. You always know how to make me chuckle with your entertaining proclivity to lose in such spectacular and embarrassing fashion :))

You're like this lone soldier waking up from unconsciousness on a battlefield, deliriously waving your empty gun around, looking for enemies to aim at and shoot but the only problem is, 1) the battle is over; you have fallen...with considerable ease and the winning army has moved on; and 2) you have no bullets; in fact you came with an unloaded replica firearm.

$957 Million in 17 days. My friend, I suggest you lie back down. B-)

In all fairness I am going to say something so shocking it might cause you to pass out. I would be fine if marvel keeps winning...

Why. You ask

Macgyver is coming back. My three favorite fictional characters are Batman Bond and Macgyver. Batman and Bond will continue to be filmed and do ok to amazing but Macgyver the fact it's coming back marvel can win the next 17 comic cons and each film make a billion dollars as long as Macgyver airs and goes for 7-10 seasons and I love the reboot I am a happy camper. So in true sportsman like conduct for the first time I shall wave the white flag congradualte Double ego and move on with my life because in 30 minute CBS announced their fall scheduale and releases some of their major trailers I get a Macgyver trailer tonight I really could care less sure if DC close up shop to retool I may lose an Affleck solo batman film but I do t think they will and even you have to agree an Affleck solo batman film of done well will at least make as much as Ant-Man right if not another billion dollar box office film (again I am talking a film like the dark knight not like well batman v superman so universally loved universally adored etc with that caveot it will make a billion)

I am more interested in Sucide Squad then Dr. strange and I will see civil war eventually maybe Saturday... But yeah I am saving the white flag you win double ego you win UNCLE etc

I get Macgyver back on television I will still be happy.
    I don't get why Marvel or DC should be winning anything. Why has it to be a battle of sorts.
    I know it's the reality that fanboys (in the negative sense) are battling each other, but here I think people are more mature, or are they?

It's a crying shame Snyder more or less buried the Supes franchise and has this enormous flop on his hands. A flop in the sense of general dismay about the movie and a BO that is far from what was expected. I was angry first, now just disappointed.

As a DC fanboy I can still watch Marvel movies and see if they are any good.
    Winter Soldier and Civil War belong to the best ever comic book movies imo.
    I have no problem putting CW on No 1 best movie of the year and BvS probably not even appearing in my Top 30 of this year.

DC had the upper hand with the Nolan trilogy at the time. And they are dominating the genre on TV.

I say both, Marvel and DC have their share of success. And as soon as Snyder is gone things will get better in the JLU Universe, there are a lot of movies following that will make us forget that bloody BvS.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'd still take Nolan's three over anything Marvel has put out, save for the Winter Soldier & Iron Man itself, which were competitive.

Marvel is more consistent these days no doubt. However, DC still has Batman, who is in my view still the big enchilada of superheros, despite BvS's mixed (I'm being kind) reception this year. It's a pity he was reduced to costarring in a film when he should probably have headlined his own.

When that solo film comes out, I'm sure the tables will once again be turned, if only for that one film.

Superman in general has been a disappointment on the big screen though, since the original Reeve films.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't get why Marvel or DC should be winning anything. Why has it to be a battle of sorts.
    I know it's the reality that fanboys (in the negative sense) are battling each other, but here I think people are more mature, or are they?

It's the old War of the Comic Companies brought forward again, is all. I can enjoy both, though I feel Marvel has a stronger sense of quality control, even among the quantity of films they put out, where DC doesn't. But DC controls comics on TV, with the Arrowverse, and their animated properties have always been better.
    It's a crying shame Snyder more or less buried the Supes franchise and has this enormous flop on his hands. A flop in the sense of general dismay about the movie and a BO that is far from what was expected. I was angry first, now just disappointed.

I was always disappointed, because with a title like Batman V Superman, bringing these two titans to the screen together for the first time, this should have been money in the bank anyway, but DC and Snyder have just gone in every opposite direction possible with that movie.
    As a DC fanboy I can still watch Marvel movies and see if they are any good.
    Winter Soldier and Civil War belong to the best ever comic book movies imo.
    I have no problem putting CW on No 1 best movie of the year and BvS probably not even appearing in my Top 30 of this year.

I'm pretty much a Marvel fanboy who can still watch DC movies to see if they're good. The Dark Knight and V for Vendetta are two of my personal favorite movies, despite how well Marvel's been doing with the MCU.
    I say both, Marvel and DC have their share of success. And as soon as Snyder is gone things will get better in the JLU Universe, there are a lot of movies following that will make us forget that bloody BvS.

I very much agree with this. Snyder is the problem, he needs to go, but DC doesn't seem to understand that, so he's still around.
    After watching Civil War I rate it below Winter Soldier, CW was a fun ride though has some issues similar to what BvS had. CW possibly the third best MCU film, it may dislodge the first Avengers film for second in time for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Rumor: Blade, Moon Knight, and Ghost Rider are getting a Netflix series:

http://moviecreedlive.com/entertainment/2668979-blade-ghost-rider-moon-knight-netflix/
    Moon Knight! Too bad I don t have Netflix...
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow! Civil War is already closing in on a BILLION!
    *Sigh* No love for Werewolf by Night or the Living Mummy? Oh well, at least Ghost Rider and Blade will be done right and Moon Knight will finally enter the public spotlight. At least, if this turns out to be anything more than a rumor.
    Netflix are smashing it with threre current Marvel shows, great news.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Moon Knight! Too bad I don t have Netflix...

Is Netflix not yet available in Norway?
    In Switzerland it started "only" in September 2014 and now people couldn't live without it anymore.
    In March Netflix was unavailable for one week because they were in war with our national monopolistic internet provider Swisscom. People went mad, and Swisscom had to concede to Netflix after one week as thousands of people cancelled their contracts and went to the smaller competitors.
    I wonder what would happen if you took away the Swiss citizens iPhones. Probably third world war :))
    Netflix has been available in Norway a long time. Seems like everyone has it except me. I just don t want to spend the extra cash on it.
    Netflix has been available in Norway a long time. Seems like everyone has it except me. I just don t want to spend the extra cash on it.

You seem like someone that has seen a lot of movies, classics or not, in his life, so aside from original programming, you really aren't missing anything on Netflix; the more they raise prices, the smaller their catalogue seems, and a lot of it is generic, straight-to-DVD stuff you wouldn't dare watch.
    Well not here. Netflix has about 350 movies that I have on DVD/Blu-ray.
    Where I think they could do better is in the series department.
    But Netflix in the German language region still has problems anyway.
    Even House Of Cards is not shown first on Netflix which is insane. Because shortly before they decided to go to Germany/Switzerland/Austria they sold the rights to other networks...
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Netflix is decent in the UK, for me it's handy when on the move I can watch for instance majority of recent Marvel films on my tablets and phone where ever I am. Also there are a lot of USA shows that would not be available to stream elsewhere. Buying box sets would be more expensive, so saves me money. I also have Sky and Amazon prime Instant Video, there is different content on each for the most part.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »
    It's to be commended but really not that surprising, given the only real star missing from this film compared to the $1.5bn grossing Avengers line is the Hulk. Plus there's Spidey here too. So I expected this to at least get close to Ultron eventually.

Even my sister asked me the other day whether I'd seen the new Avengers film (she's not all that into this stuff). I said in return, you mean Cap.
    It is an Avengers film in all but name.
    Costume and villain details for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming': (may contain spoilers)

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/new-details-on-the-villains-costume-upgrades-in-spider-man-homecoming-a141891
    edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Vulture eh? I know that's what Raimi was angling for before studio interference messed things up.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,503
    Branching off the developments for earlier, it appears that Michael Keaton is back in talks for the 'Spider-Man' movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/688827-michael-keaton-back-in-talks-for-spider-man-homecoming-new-details-revealed

Also, 'Thor: Ragnarok' adds Jeff Goldblum and Karl Urban:

http://www.slashfilm.com/thor-ragnarok-cast/
    And Cate Blanchett as Hela ! YES !!!!
    Odin returns, it seems. Real or a disguise?