Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Vulture eh? I know that's what Raimi was angling for before studio interference messed things up.

Vulture is a great villain. Keaton could do it at this stage, no doubt.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Good to hear Keaton is back in the running.

And the Thor cast is looking incredible. Seems like Marvel are really stepping their game up in a major way for this 3rd outing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Vulture eh? I know that's what Raimi was angling for before studio interference messed things up.

Vulture is a great villain. Keaton could do it at this stage, no doubt.

It's a bit of some on the nose casting, though, isn't it? I mean, Keaton has played Birdman, so Vulture shouldn't be a role that ruffles his feathers.

Good to hear Keaton is back in the running.

And the Thor cast is looking incredible. Seems like Marvel are really stepping their game up in a major way for this 3rd outing.

Hey, when it's the end of the universe, you gotta pull out all the stops. This film should be mind blowing, if they follow strictly to the Norse mythology. It'll likely be Hemsworth's best acting in the role of Thor, as well, where he well and truly finally shows he has all that it takes to be king.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Jesus Christ, Marvel are really signing on some great actors, aren't they? Goldblum, maybe Keaton, Mikkelsen/Tilda Swinton/Benedict Cumberbatch for Dr Strange... I can't wait to see these films!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Are Marvel going to do trilogies with all their characters if they are successful? We already have 3 Iron Man films, 3 Captain America's and 3 Thor's (if we count the one coming in Nov 2017). Can we expect further Tom Holland Spidey films, Black Panther films and Dr Strange films if their debut solo outings are big successes?
    As long as these movies are profitable, they'll keep making them. With characters like Thor, Cap and Iron Man, as time goes on, they'll feature in other characters' films, while introducing elements that help expand the universe i.e. Iron Man/Stark being in the new solo spidey movie. Spidey will definitely get multiple films with Holland, its one of the reasons they cast him as an actual teenager, so we get a few miles from him and add to that him being a crowd favourite thanks to CW.

GoTg vol.2 comes out next year, which will continue the more cosmic/galactic side of the universe as will the Thor 3. That being said, Hulk is in the next Thor movie too, as the film is being described as a somewhat buddy cosmic road trip...and Dr.Strange will spearhead the supernatural/cosmic/magic elements later this year which will also open the flood gates for the supernatural elements for black panther....which inevitably makes all this stuff for Infinity Wars all the more accessible.

Phase 3 is looking to be the best of the phases yet, Ant-Man and Wasp as well as Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) are set to be part of phase 3 and beyond that, Marvel can really get to play with their other characters while expanding on characters they introduced in phase 3.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DaltonCraig007, I've been curious about that too. It's hard to tell what exactly Marvel has in store for its slate of films beyond Infinity Wars, or how many films each new character will have in respect to their solo adventures. Like you said, I think a lot of that is predicated on audience response, though Black Panther is a guaranteed success and I don't think Dr. Strange is in any great danger, though I wouldn't be shocked if it was the most underperforming Marvel movie in a long time, if only because he's such a different character to audiences. Another thing to consider is that Black Panther and Dr. Strange may be in the Infinity Wars films and other Marvel movies so much that they wouldn't even need more solo films. But we'll see.

I'm interested in seeing what they do with Spider-Man, but I have to say there's a lot of worry inside me, especially due to how much control Sony still have. Spider-Man had his moments in Civil War, but I thought how they roped him into the story was by far the sloppiest thing about the movie and what I think really didn't work overall. They did the same thing to Peter that they did to Ant Man, which is, "let's have Paul and Tom on set for one day just so we can make this look like a bigger conflict than it is," then never see either of them again (sans Ant Man being thrown in the cell). I think a bit part of that push was just to have Ant Man show up and use his giant powers for the first time anyway, them say goodbye to him. The Spider-Man stuff just felt out of place for me, really, and I'd rather have seen them use Black Panther in his place as originally planned, because he was a much better draw and far more attractive as a filmgoer and fan of these films.

I thought Holland was okay, but all this nonsense about him being the best Peter or Spider-Man ever was insane to me. We barely saw the kid do anything at all, so how can we begin to say anything like that at this point? I think much of the praise has just come from the fact that Spidey is back at Marvel and its the newest Spider-Man out there, which always attracts well wishes at the beginning. We'll see how the solo film/s pan out, though I'm not especially hopeful about all of this, as Sony are still pushing their spin-off film agenda. They never learn their lesson, it seems.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,691
    So things will start to get very crowded soon. If we add up all the possible sequels from Marvel films (Dr Strange 2, Black Panther 2, Holland's Spidey 2), with add all other stuff like a possible solo Batfleck trilogy, Wonder Woman sequels, The Flash sequels, Suicide Squad sequels, Deadpool sequels if all those movies are hits... Honestly, it's going to be pretty amazing watching all these films but the release schedule will be phenomenal within 2 years or so once we get a clearer picture.
    I honestly don't think the upcoming movie schedule will be any crazier than it's been. Marvel has me invested, to quote Cap, "till the end of the line," but at this point, DC has lost me a lot. Expectations for the future are near nonexistent, despite some appropriate shake-ups at the top lately. That being said, I'm glad that BvS got a lukewarm enough response from perceptive audiences so that Warner and DC were forced to deal with it and work towards giving us the movies we deserve. How a lot of the same people who gave us the Nolan Batman trilogy then brought us BvS is a nightmare that haunts my every waking breath.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Whedon's track record with women is hit and miss...mostly hit but I hate what he did with Black Widow.
    Wait, is Wolverine 3 supposed to tell the Old Man Logan story arc? This film has been off my radar because I didn't want to have the films I haven't seen spoiled, but I've always wanted to see Hugh get the chance to do that story.
    This isn't so much MCU related but have you guys seen the madness of what Marvel have done to Cap??? Brevoort is a thoroughbred idiot!

1245.gif
    This isn't so much MCU related but have you guys seen the madness of what Marvel have done to Cap??? Brevoort is a thoroughbred idiot!

1245.gif

And people complained when Jim Gordon was batman jeez just googled it and wow he even says "it like a slap in the face to people" really then why in god's name would you do it !
    The funny thing is, they want people to pay for this nonsense. It's ridiculous.
    tumblr_o7qquqeHRI1unfh25o1_500.gif
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @doubleoego, oh my freaking lord. Seriously? This is seriously a thing that people at Marvel thought was a good idea?

Seeing an image of Cap saying the words "Hail Hydra" turns my stomach more than anything recently, and it quite frankly makes no sense. It's a perfect example of a company out of ideas doing something new just because it's new, and not necessarily because it makes any sense for the character.

I mean, how are they actually going to explain this one? Cap is a Hydra agent, yet he's been saving the world with the best of them since the beginning. All the love he has for the Avengers and Bucky, and the endless amount of times he's put himself on the line was what, all an act, just like his good old Brooklyn boy demeanor? Get the hell out of here with that. This is the man who, while getting fatally shot, was more worried about all the innocents around him getting harmed than his own well-being.

I can't wait to see how Marvel react to this backlash, a reaction they somehow didn't anticipate to such a level as this. I see it going like this: the idiots realize how idiotic they all are, and then they BS some story about how Red Skull and Hydra captured Cap, cloned him, and then used that clone as a Hydra sleeper agent while the real Steve was out of commission so that they could get the upper hand on the Avengers, or something like that. Trust me, this idea won't last long. Mark my freaking words.

sm_captain-america.gif?1405604020

tumblr_lkhip5R89P1qf1ouyo1_500.gif

tumblr_m43g877zjp1rsxaz1o2_500.gif

The only way DC could even begin to match the stupidity of this decision is if they revealed that the Joker was Thomas Wayne all along, taking endless psychological and physical revenge on Bruce for his failure to protect him and Martha the night they got shot.
    I fear you may have just given DC Comics an idea lol.

Seriously, I don't even know what to think right now. Marvel are saying this is the real Steve, no clones, no brainwashing or doppelgangers etc. For the life of me I just don't see how Marvel could honestly green light this garbage. Can you imagine if Bond was a spectre agent all this time?

I really am lost for words on this.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Who cares what they'll do in a comic book? It diesn't concern the cinematic universe.
    They probably got inspired by Agents Of Shields shocking reveal in Season 1.
    I honestly don't get what is up with Marvel and DC and their complete determination to ruin their greatest heroes.

"Superman is a symbol of truth, justice, hope and understanding. So, let's make him a whiny, mopey guy that thinks he's a villain. Great idea, right?"

"Cap is a steadfast patriot, a protector of the innocent and always does the right thing in his fight against Hydra. Hey, speaking of Hydra, what if he was an agent for them all along, and he was fooling everyone? Crazy, right? Let's do it!"

Who do we have to threaten assault blackmail persuade to change this?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    But this Cap business will only be a gimmick I'm sure.
    Marvel are going out of their way to emphasise that this isn't a gimmick. That's one of tge major reasons why this is so disconcerting.
    Shrugs I am just dissapointed that Jim as Batman was handles so poorly because on paper the idea is fantastic heck I really love reading the most recent DC comics specifically Our Gordon at war and the Bronze Age both stories have Jomcat his absolute best as batman however Bruce is back now in the worst costume I have ever seen on him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That s a surprise. Then again, Reed Richards, Dr Strange, Prince Namor, Charles Xavier, Black Panther and Tony Stark are all Illuminati.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Shrugs I am just dissapointed that Jim as Batman was handles so poorly because on paper the idea is fantastic heck I really love reading the most recent DC comics specifically Our Gordon at war and the Bronze Age both stories have Jomcat his absolute best as batman however Bruce is back now in the worst costume I have ever seen on him.

I get your frustrations, but badly handled stories and crappily designed suits are one thing, while absolute character assassination is quite another. This goes against literally everything that Cap stands and fights for. The very thing he was created to fight, he has (apparently) always been joined with.
    Marvel are going out of their way to emphasise that this isn't a gimmick. That's one of tge major reasons why this is so disconcerting.

No matter what their original plans were, they'll change damn fast. Otherwise, they're going to lose their audience irreparably.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Chris Evans' reaction to all this?

"Hydra?!?!? #sayitaintso"

And this is apparently a photo of him reading a recent issue of the book leading up to the reveal. His face kind of says it all:

I've read only one positive comment about this news, all the rest were biting. Worse yet, Nick Spencer is actually getting off on all this, as if the reaction means good things for his work going forward. If people were smart, a book boycott would be mounted. If anyone wants to read the issue/s, seek out digital scans so that the team knows we're not having it.

One of my favorite comments about all this came from a father on Twitter, who said, "Tell my kid Cap is a bad guy now. #CapIsNotHydra"

How long do we think it'll be before Marvel retcon? A month? Three months? Half a year?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Why doesn't everybody just calm down and wait for this story arc to finish?

There's a good fan theory out there that has an awful lot of support within the issue itself.
    Basically, that Zemo used the Kobik the living Cosmic Cube to alter Cap's life into always having been a Hydra sleeper.
    We've been sharing all kinds of theories like that, but, as we've been told by the writers of this rag masquerading as a comic, this is the real Steve, with absolutely nothing manipulating him. Obviously, some things are to be taken with a grain of salt, especially the comments of creative people on an ongoing project, but the writing and creative team are all so giddy and orgasmically charged over this so called grand idea of theirs that I take their words as sadly truthful. When I read their comments, I don't sense pretense or anything like that. This is their story and they're sticking to it. Which makes it all the more amusing that they think this is going to go off without a hitch (or a retcon).
    edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I hope the only things of Planet Hulk that appear in Thor Ragnarok are the armor. Planet Hulk was never one of my favorite stories. People keep begging for a live action Planet Hulk movie and I keep saying "Please, no, give us something else."