Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/batman-vs-superman-blamed-captain-america-civil-war-lower-box-office

I am sorry but what is this article talking about I thought Civil War was breaking every record known to man and now they are saying its under performing?

Hollywood is weird

I know. It didn't break the 200 millions opening mark that people were predicting for this past weekend, but did people forget it was also Mother's Day!!! People were busy enough with that (I know I was) let alone think about going to the theater (unless they went to see that Mother's Day film).

Exactly.

Furthermore, I had posted here a few estimates and projections made by other studios and media outlets that were making overestimates of between 200 to 220 million$ for opening weekend. It's important to know that Disney/Marvel were projecting estimates of $170 million and evidently they exceeded what they were hoping for.

However, the holdover and drops since the movie's release has been fantastic. WOM and the reviews are giving this movie great legs and so far it seems to be averaging about $30 million a day. In fact CW is already at $765.8million worldwide and could be at around $950million by this Sunday.

Breaking records and achieving certain milestones is all well and good but critical success and an impressive box office accumulation within a theatrical run is what really counts and CW is doing both.
    ...and this is where Marvel want to try and annoy me...

...Lupita Nyongo is in talks to play the love interest in Black Panther!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...o-talks-893213

Lupita is the spitting image of Shuri, T'Challa's SISTER. That's who she should be cast as. [-(
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've loved Lupita in everything I've seen (or in the case of both 'The Jungle Book' and 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens,' "heard") her in, so it's nice to see her being attached to a big comic book movie and I'm happy that her career kicked off like it did. After seeing her in '12 Years A Slave,' I knew she'd be something special.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Artemis81, I went out to see a movie on Mother's Day, and there was a huge line at my theater for 'Civil War.'
    Fair enough, but there must have been some people choosing to wait until next weekend to see the movie due to the holiday.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    However, the holdover and drops since the movie's release has been fantastic. WOM and the reviews are giving this movie great legs and so far it seems to be averaging about $30 million a day. In fact CW is already at $765.8million worldwide and could be at around $950million by this Sunday.

Breaking records and achieving certain milestones is all well and good but critical success and an impressive box office accumulation within a theatrical run is what really counts and CW is doing both.
    It should have enough legs for the next two weekends considering the next big film doesn't come until the end of the month with X-Men: Apocalypse. And like I said before, some will see it if didn't get a chance to see it this past weekend and there's those who will want to see it again, which will help it.
    @Artemis81, I was just speaking for my theater, it most certainly varied from location to location, I'm sure.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I saw it opening day, there was a line but it wasn't out to the street. It stopped at the door. And odds are good that Mother's Day prevented some people from seeing the movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @BondJasonBond006 will be devasted, but as of this morning it is official: 'Agent Carter' has been cancelled after 2 seasons.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @BondJasonBond006 will be devasted, but as of this morning it is official: 'Agent Carter' has been cancelled after 2 seasons.

Thanks for the info. I follow the cancel/renewal index religiously since many years.
    It's the best source for early info on shows and how they are doing.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/category/renewcancel/

I'm not devastated just utterly disappointed. Agent Carter was sadly one of the obvious shows to get cancelled.

I'm more worried about Sleepy Hollow.
    On a positive note, Supergirl will be moved to the CW! How great is that, because a run of at least 5 to 7 seasons is guaranteed.
    In other superhero tv news, it appears Legends of Tomorrow may be in trouble, as Wentworth Miller will no longer be a 'regular', and Branfon Routh may not be back at all. WTF??

They better be replacing them with whole new heroes, because the show would be nothing without them.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    In other superhero tv news, it appears Legends of Tomorrow may be in trouble, as Wentworth Miller will no longer be a 'regular', and Branfon Routh may not be back at all. WTF??

They better be replacing them with whole new heroes, because the show would be nothing without them.

I dunno about Brandon Routh, but Wentworth Miller will be a "universe" regular now, meaning he can show up on any show at any time for any reason.

Personally and while it is a long shot I am hopping for batman to be in legends of tomorrow now before everyone say Bruce Wayne can't show up your right but batman can.. How cool would it be for Terry McGinnis/Batman to show up...
    Risico007 wrote: »

Personally and while it is a long shot I am hopping for batman to be in legends of tomorrow now before everyone say Bruce Wayne can't show up your right but batman can.. How cool would it be for Terry McGinnis/Batman to show up...

We should really be taking this conversation to the appropriate thread, but other than DC's self-imposed, "viewers are morons and can't accept multiple versions of the same character" stipulation, there's nothing stopping Batman from appearing, as Rip has mentioned his and Superman's deaths.
    Damn I'm to blame for that. I wasn't paying attention to the thread title! Sorry about that!
    Gitesh Pandya‏@GiteshPandya
    Going into 2nd wknd dom (3rd wknd intl) #CaptainAmericaCivilWar has now banked $223.3M dom, $564.9M intl for $788.2M global

Gitesh Pandya@GiteshPandya
    #CaptainAmericaCivilWar set to shatter $800M global today & shd surpass #BatmanvSuperman tomm breaking $900M on SAT.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego you think 'Apocalypse' will have big B.O. numbers? 'Days of Future Past' did almost $750 million.
    @doubleoego you think 'Apocalypse' will have big B.O. numbers? 'Days of Future Past' did almost $750 million.

Based on the reviews I've read about it, it seems as though it'll do well enough, but not Days of Future Past money.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Thanks @Agent007391! I'm seeing the film in 5 days, can't wait.

I'm not sure tbh. The recent cume of these movies have offered a few surprises. No one saw coming Deadpool making the amount of money it did. BvS should have made a $Billion at the very least and wont see $900 million; Civil War being a captain America film first and foremost is doing wonderfully well and could cross a $Billion by the middle of next week.

Apocalypse has been getting some mixed/negative reviews and tbh, I don't think it's going to come close to suffering from it the way BvS did. I also think it won't make as much money as DoFp but could make between $650 to $700 million by the end of its run.
    CREED star Michael B Jordan joins cast of Black Panther

The impressive Black Panther cast continues to expand today with the addition of Michael B. Jordan! The Hollywood Reporter brings word that Jordan, who previously worked with Black Panther director Ryan Coogler on both Fruitvale Station and Creed, is also no stranger to Marvel Comics adaptations. He played Johnny Storm, the Human Torch, in 20th Century Fox‘s Fantastic Four. Jordan joins a Black Panther cast that includes Chadwick Boseman in the title role and, assuming negotiations pan out, Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o in another undisclosed role.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/686441-michael-b-jordan-black-panther-cast

Cast is shaping up very very nicely.
    I'm noticing a pattern of Marvel stealing Human Torches & Sherlock's
    What's funny is, hours before this announcement Simon Kinberg over at Fox released a statement that he wants to make a fantastic 4 sequel with the same cast of that rebooted abomination...and then Marvel hilariously drop this on their heads. Damn lol.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Just saw CW today, and the rumors are true, it is very good.

I don't know where I'd rank it exactly at the moment, but it made me both laugh and gasp many times. My theater was packed, and I lost count of the times that we all just erupted in laughs; it was a wonderful moviegoing experience.

The reason a film like this works is because the writers have always been so skilled at giving us these characters developing and interacting beautifully throughout the past few years. Seeing Cap and Iron Man fight is shocking because Cap is Howard Stark's creation, and he and his boy should be best buds; in addition to that, they've all saved the world together numerous times. Watching Widow and Hawkeye fight is crazy because they're best friends and are both trying to do the right thing.

And ultimately, the success of CW lies in that: everyone is right. Every hero has a perfect reason for acting as they are, and that's what makes it so painful to watch. The spectacle is amazing, especially with how Ant-Man has been used, but I was sad near the end as I watched the brawling, because I didn't want my favorite characters fighting like they were. I wanted nothing more than to see them find a way to come together again.

I like that the movie still kept a lot of focus on Cap and his development as a man out of time, and the crushing things he faces in this film that continue to test him. Between his team, Tony's and the government's agendas, with all the consequences between, you truly see the heroes tested and bemused by a world they are all only trying to save, and have temporarily lost the sense of a way to do that as they always have.

The movie deals upfront with civilian casualties in big ways, which I loved. We see the battlefields of the past in New York, DC, and more than any other, Sokovia. We are confronted with both the sacrifice of the heroes and the thanks the public has for them, as well as the collateral damage that arises from them saving the world. Every single character in this film, from Black Panther to Vision, Hawkeye, Cap and Tony face moments that challenge them in drastic ways, and feed their individual missions, or push them back from the others. I loved that everyone got moments to shine in this film, both in emotional moments and in the fights, and every character feels like they belong here in a big, big way. The Marvel films have always done this really well, in my opinion, but exponentially better here where it really counted.

Holland's Peter Parker was interesting and charismatic, though it's too soon to make any hard and fast calls on how he stacks up against past Spidey's. I liked him, but he didn't really get anything to do in the grand scheme of things, and how he was written in felt more than a little awkward. Holland has the character down though, and the things he does, for the most part, feel very Spidey-esque. I'm excited to see how he's used in the future though, and the interactions he had with each Avenger were great, especially when he and Cap had a chat.

The only real disappointment I feel is in how the story differs from parts of the comic I desperately wanted adapted, especially the ending and how they use Cap, which I think could've totally worked and made an insane impact, but what they did differently was interesting too. I'm a writer, so before a movie comes out I spend months writing my own plot in my head based on what I've seen or know of the film, especially the lore it's taking it's name from, and when I watch the film and it's not that, it takes me a bit of time to accept the film on its own terms.

CW is phenomenal, though. The Russos are a hell of a team, giving us the beautiful Winter Solider and soon the Infinity War movies, arguably the most crucial part of the entire Marvel line of films. Everything has been leading to those films, and I'm happy that they're at the helm. I trust their hand and their artistry. They are by far the most accomplished directors Marvel has had yet, and their team will only continue to pump out great movies for us to enjoy that make us question the heroics of our characters while at the same time helping us to realize the beauty of their sacrifice.

CW is just another win for Marvel, game, set and match, and the versus movie of the year, far and away.

I've tried to do a ranking, which I'm really not a big fan of, but as it stands now, I think this is how I'd stack the films:

1.) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2.) Captain America: Civil War
    3.) Iron Man
    4.) Iron Man 3
    5.) Avengers: Age of Ultron
    6.) The Avengers
    7.) Guardians of the Galaxy
    8.) Captain America: The First Avenger
    9.) Thor
    10.) Iron Man 2
    11.) Thor: Dark World
    12.) Ant-Man
    13.) The Incredible Hulk

These movies are all strong in different ways, so it's hard for me to properly rank them, because they each offer great things others can't. This is great, because it'll keep me coming back to each of them, and I just love seeing the journeys of each of the characters threaded throughout the series. Even Hulk and Ant-Man in my bottom two are films I find very enjoyable, so there's no losers here.
    Just saw CW today, and the rumors are true, it is very good.

I don't know where I'd rank it exactly at the moment, but it made me both laugh and gasp many times. My theater was packed, and I lost count of the times that we all just erupted in laughs; it was a wonderful moviegoing experience.

The reason a film like this works is because the writers have always been so skilled at giving us these characters developing and interacting beautifully throughout the past few years. Seeing Cap and Iron Man fight is shocking because Cap is Howard Stark's creation, and he and his boy should be best buds; in addition to that, they've all saved the world together numerous times. Watching Widow and Hawkeye fight is crazy because they're best friends and are both trying to do the right thing.

And ultimately, the success of CW lies in that: everyone is right. Every hero has a perfect reason for acting as they are, and that's what makes it so painful to watch. The spectacle is amazing, especially with how Ant-Man has been used, but I was sad near the end as I watched the brawling, because I didn't want my favorite characters fighting like they were. I wanted nothing more than to see them find a way to come together again.

I like that the movie still kept a lot of focus on Cap and his development as a man out of time, and the crushing things he faces in this film that continue to test him. Between his team, Tony's and the government's agendas, with all the consequences between, you truly see the heroes tested and bemused by a world they are all only trying to save, and have temporarily lost the sense of a way to do that as they always have.

The movie deals upfront with civilian casualties in big ways, which I loved. We see the battlefields of the past in New York, DC, and more than any other, Sokovia. We are confronted with both the sacrifice of the heroes and the thanks the public has for them, as well as the collateral damage that arises from them saving the world. Every single character in this film, from Black Panther to Vision, Hawkeye, Cap and Tony face moments that challenge them in drastic ways, and feed their individual missions, or push them back from the others. I loved that everyone got moments to shine in this film, both in emotional moments and in the fights, and every character feels like they belong here in a big, big way. The Marvel films have always done this really well, in my opinion, but exponentially better here where it really counted.

Holland's Peter Parker was interesting and charismatic, though it's too soon to make any hard and fast calls on how he stacks up against past Spidey's. I liked him, but he didn't really get anything to do in the grand scheme of things, and how he was written in felt more than a little awkward. Holland has the character down though, and the things he does, for the most part, feel very Spidey-esque. I'm excited to see how he's used in the future though, and the interactions he had with each Avenger were great, especially when he and Cap had a chat.

The only real disappointment I feel is in how the story differs from parts of the comic I desperately wanted adapted, especially the ending and how they use Cap, which I think could've totally worked and made an insane impact, but what they did differently was interesting too. I'm a writer, so before a movie comes out I spend months writing my own plot in my head based on what I've seen or know of the film, especially the lore it's taking it's name from, and when I watch the film and it's not that, it takes me a bit of time to accept the film on its own terms.

CW is phenomenal, though. The Russos are a hell of a team, giving us the beautiful Winter Solider and soon the Infinity War movies, arguably the most crucial part of the entire Marvel line of films. Everything has been leading to those films, and I'm happy that they're at the helm. I trust their hand and their artistry. They are by far the most accomplished directors Marvel has had yet, and their team will only continue to pump out great movies for us to enjoy that make us question the heroics of our characters while at the same time helping us to realize the beauty of their sacrifice.

CW is just another win for Marvel, game, set and match, and the versus movie of the year, far and away.

I've tried to do a ranking, which I'm really not a big fan of, but as it stands now, I think this is how I'd stack the films:

1.) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2.) Captain America: Civil War
    3.) Iron Man
    4.) Iron Man 3
    5.) Avengers: Age of Ultron
    6.) The Avengers
    7.) Guardians of the Galaxy
    8.) Captain America: The First Avenger
    9.) Thor
    10.) Iron Man 2
    11.) Thor: Dark World
    12.) Ant-Man
    13.) The Incredible Hulk

These movies are all strong in different ways, so it's hard for me to properly rank them, because they each offer great things others can't. This is great, because it'll keep me coming back to each of them, and I just love seeing the journeys of each of the characters threaded throughout the series. Even Hulk and Ant-Man in my bottom two are films I find very enjoyable, so there's no losers here.

A Batman V Superman defender simply can't say these things. This is the true beauty of the MCU, and it's something the DCEU won't achieve for five or six years, if at all because of how they mishandle their characters.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Indeed, it's like trying to make a great marinara with unripen tomatoes; it will leave a bad taste in your mouth ;)
    Civil War now at $940.9Million World Wide

The MCU crosses $10 billion!

jlkjlk-580x547.jpg
    Civil War has a great shot at being the fourth Marvel movie to hit $1 billion.

It's been out for a week and a half in the States, and is $60 million overall away from $1 billion. It's all but impossible for it to not cross at least $1.1 billion.

Great shot? It's guaranteed. Like I estimated in a previous post, by Wednesday it would have crossed a $Billion if not earlier.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The billion has long been reached.

Half of all foreign countries only report their BOs once a week. Status on BoxOfficeMojo is 8th May, 2016 for them.
    Once those numbers come in (tomorrow or Tuesday) the total BO will make a big jump.
    'Iron Man 3' originally had a main female villain pulling all the strings, but the idea was scrapped for an idiotic reason:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/iron_man/iron_man_3/iron-man-3-scrapped-its-original-female-villain-because-a141732