Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    The one Marvel film that I really can't bring myself to watch again (despite owning the blu ray since it came out) is Captain America the First Avenger. I'm not sure why. It could be because it was a period piece, or because Red Skull didn't impress.

I may do it before seeing Civil War.

Absolutely with you. It's a poor, poor film. In the cold light of day I actually think 50% of the Marvel output is distinctly average. The high points have been successfully exploited to perpetuate this narrative that they're knocking it out of the park. I would say 10% of their output has knocked it out of the park.
    I have to watch it again and see why it did nothing for me.

It could be just the period nature of it, but I suspect it's more the Cap character being a bit of a 'goody two shoes' like Supes. Too clean for me. I really liked Winter Soldier, but that had Black Widow in it and was more a suspense spy flick - a completely different animal entirely to the first one and more up my alley.

I agree there appears to be a bit of fan boy bed wetting going on regarding Marvel at the moment (and I may join in personally after seeing Civil War this Friday - should get a change of sheets ready) but I do respect the way they've developed all these new characters so quickly. Their output is quite impressive quantity wise, and the quality is at least average for the most part, which in itself is something.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Hmmm....
    Captain America is amongst my favourite comic book movies.

In no particular order:
    Watchmen
    Batman 1989
    Batman Begins
    Civil War
    Winter Soldier
    Iron Man
    Spider-Man 2
    Superman
    Captain America
    Hellboy
    Blade
    Guardians Of The Galaxy
    Kick-Ass

and the worst:
    Ghost Rider 2
    Batman v Superman
    Man Of Steel
    Catwoman
    Fantastic Four 2015
    Superman IV
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I personally adore The First Avenger. Sure, Skull was a bit underused and the plot danced around too much with montages of Cap and his team blowing things up, but there's stuff in there that's made me smile or get emotional more than most other Marvel films.

The first 20 minutes of that film is honestly some of the best cinematic characterization I have ever seen, truly. We get to know who Steve is and why he's so special immediately, with both visual and verbal cues that are beautifully and cleverly delivered. We get to see his resilience and determined spirit as he tries to enlist again and again. In the alley fight behind the movie theater, he gets punched repeatedly, but keeps getting up, telling the guy, "I could do this all day," a saying that remains with him forever. To defend himself, he even grabs the lid of a trashcan, giving that iconic Cap pose before he grows into the man destiny needs him to be.

They set him up so beautifully as a kid that just wants to help. He's not looking for fame or fortune or the glory of war; he just "hates bullies." There is so much heart in every one of those early scenes with the pre-serum Steve that just makes me smile. When Tommy Lee's character throws a dummy grenade and Steve is the one to jump on it, willing to sacrifice himself for everyone else. When he uses ingenuity to get the flag at training and rides back to base with Peggy. When he states that he has no business working a factory job giving anything less than the men like him who are heading to war laying down their lives. The scene in the barracks with Tucci's doctor character when Steve promises he'll always remain the good kid from Brooklyn he was before the serum.

Throw in all the great stuff with Peggy, the rain-checked dance, the brilliant sequence where Steve travels the world in character as Cap punching Hitler and dancing with the women, and I think you have a rousing and emotional film in equal measures. It's one of my favorites for Steve alone, and he's easily my favorite Avenger.

This post put a huge smile on my face. :D

Screw both civil war and batman v superman and just give me this film!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Risico007 wrote: »

Good job. Batman would kill Captain America.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Risico007 wrote: »

Good job. Batman would kill Captain America.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg

Needed a good laugh.
    Sigh

Also I didn't make the trailer merely found it

Gitesh Pandya @GiteshPandya

#CaptainAmericaCivilWar has now broken @Fandango advance sales record for superhero films beating both #BatmanvSuperman & #Ultron.

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/sta...42713382526978

Damn right it did.

200w.gif
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Russo Brothers on Screen Junkies.

@ChinaBoxOffice:
    #ChinaBoxOffice Current pre-sales for CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR pointing towards $45M+ opening day on Friday

That's bloody incredible!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is it looking like CW will be Marvel's biggest BO intake ever for these movies yet?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Is it looking like CW will be Marvel's biggest BO intake ever for these movies yet?

The first weekend has been insane with a little over 200 million USD because it hasn't started in the US yet. It'll be a clearer picture once the first week BO results come in. And then of course the US will have an insane first weekend I think.

IMHO this movie should make at least 1.5 billion as it is so clearly the best Marvel movie ever and one of the very best comic book movies of all time. I'm talking Top 5 if not Top 3.
    Honestly, only Batman Begins and I think Guardians Of The Galaxy I would rank higher right now. Maybe Batman 1989 too. Time will tell.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I know Iron Man 3 reached a billion in something like thirteen days. I think CW can easily manage that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Agent Carter' will more than likely not be picked up for a third season, and it appears 'Marvel's Most Wanted' may be doomed before it begins:

http://www.slashfilm.com/agent-carter-season-three/
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Agent Carter' will more than likely not be picked up for a third season, and it appears 'Marvel's Most Wanted' may be doomed before it begins:

http://www.slashfilm.com/agent-carter-season-three/

Sonuvabitch! I want them both!
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432

Possibly the greatest Marvel film of all time...
    Captain America Civil War is Fandango's #1 all-time top pre-selling superhero movie of all time:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Capta...ls-128667.html

Fandango has announced that Captain America: Civil War has become the site’s #1 pre-selling superhero movie of all time.

The online ticket service reported that the third Captain America installment accounted for more than 90% of its weekend ticket sales, earning it a 100/100 points on Fandango’s Fanticipation movie buzz indicator. By shattering this record, it surpassed movies like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Avengers: Age of Ultron and The Avengers. Fandango also included some statistics from a survey of 1,000 Captain America: Civil War fans, like how 87% were “intrigued” by Spider-Man joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe, 85% were excited to see Chadwick Boseman play Black Panther and 48% wanted Black Widow to get her own movie.
    KevinSmith ‏@ThatKevinSmith
    Watched @CaptainAmerica #CivilWar in amazing @4DX_USA theater! Easily the greatest comic book movie ever made! Best Spidey flick too! LOVED!

Kevin Smith's podcast where he expands on his tweet that Captain America Civil War is the greatest comic book film ever made:

I have to admit CW was a better movie than BvS, but it too has some issues. For instance Spiderman, he didn t serve much purpose other than just being there for the sake of being there, as he is such a popular character. Might as well have cut that out, the film would be better if they did.
    Both of the 'Avengers: Infinity War' movies will be retitled:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/683463-both-avengers-infinity-war-films-will-be-retitled
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That's good. It'll be stupid enough with the Justice League movies.
  • War was a very good movie. I must admit that. And I don't even like most Marvel movies.
    Michael Giacchino to Score Marvel's Doctor Strange

I'd really like him to score Bond.

I've been wanting to see that since "The Incredibles". No, make that "Alias". He'd be perfect !
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Michael Giacchino to Score Marvel's Doctor Strange

I'd really like him to score Bond.

Another reason to look forward to Dr Strange.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Love Michael Giacchino's work on Star Trek, The Kronos Wartet is on my Training playlist thunderous piece of music.
    Captain America: Civil War Explodes to $678 Million Worldwide!

Captain America: Civil War opened this weekend in North America to an estimated $181.8 million, the fifth-highest domestic opening in industry history. Marvel Studios now has four of the top six openings of all time. An estimated international weekend of $220 million results in an overall global weekend of $401.8 million and a worldwide total of $678.39 million to date for the fifth global release and #3 Western international release of 2016 in just 12 days.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/684549-captain-america-civil-war-explodes-to-678-million-worldwide#/slide/1

It made $95.8Million in the first 3 days in China release which is more than what BvS took in for its entire run over there not to mention it beat BvS' domestic opening weekend.

BvS at $865 million is going to be left for dust. Civil War will cross $700million by the end of tomorrow.

The reviews, critical success, word of mouth and the figures are all there....WB/DC take note. This is how you're supposed to do it.

Btw, @Risico007 you've gone VERY silent on the proposed bet.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Saw Civil War Thurs night and loved it. I'm definitely going back for a 2nd viewing this week or weekend. It was a very solid film, even with the huge amount of characters involved, it still felt very balanced. The Russo brothers are really doing an excellent job. I'm glad they're coming back for Infinity War.