Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Still not sold on Turner. Although I bet he did indeed meet with someone.

Prefer a British actor. An America can play a Brit BUT Bond is an icon. The actor playing has to "be" Bond. Better that actor be British.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    A good actor....yes. But Bond....no. As he's American.
    Canadian, I think. He has a certain smoothness to him, but it borders on smugness sometimes imho.

Still i think Bond has to be British or Irish and thats it.

but hey that's why i was proposing a Bond similar( almost identical) franchise so other actors from other nationalities could play them.
    Bond is a character many actors wished could play, i even feel American actors wished to play Bond so why not creating a franchise for them.

@Bondjames You once suggested The avengers but why not giving another try to The man from Uncle.
    It was a fun spy flick reminding us the days of Brosnan, it was just released at the wrong time when all the big well knwon franchises were released that's why it failed.
    But try it again In February or March and could get a much better reception it has potential and needs a few improvements here and there but over all it was a great idea it just requires a slightly better execution.

But why not both The man from UNCLE again and The Avengers ( though it could get confused with the marvel superheroes franchise)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Szonana, I don't have a problem with them trying to do the Man From Uncle again. It had some interesting ideas. I think where they blew it was the characters. There was something perfunctory about it all. Like it was just being glossed over. Pandered to. Lip serviced. Overly glamorous but without 'meat'.

I think they should get on with the sequel and set it in New York. Give it more of an espionage feel and delve into New York high society (where Thrush operatives perhaps reside). That's more like the tv series and could catch on.

The Avengers & The New Avengers were quite popular globally as tv shows but you have a point about the name now having been taken & perhaps made more famous by the Marvel characters. Still, no harm, they can just call it 'Steed' or 'Steed & Peel'.

If you've not seen them, I recommend going straight & only to Season 5 (which is in colour and has Mrs. Peel) as well as the entire New Avengers (which I'm waiting for them to release on blu ray).
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @Bondjames.
    I didn't mind the film to be that stylish or in Europe but more afraid of showing Solo and his womanizing nature on full display.
    I don't mean an R rated film but a few more scenes and conquests could have worked. Its funny but seems like guy ritchie was afraid of doing love scenes in a PG- 13 flick.

anyway my idea for the idea to try again.
    make Gaby a MoneyPenny type of character that means just 5 minutes at the beginning before Solo and Illyia recive their mission from Weberly.
    Solo would get like 2 conquests per film while Illyia just one love interest

Both go to their mission meet the girls, save the world and film end up with a love scene. We first Illyia with his girlfriend at the time to latter go to Solo and each film could change.
    One closes with Illyia and the next with Solo and we go and on for 50 years of the franchise like Bond but even better because if it succeeds each 10 years two new actors would get the coveted roles of Kuryakin and Solo.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @Szonana, I agree about them not having done the characters justice, on the romance front and in other areas too imho. The film seemed like a big travelogue. Glossy but something was seriously missing in the 'spy' or 'thriller' side, apart from perhaps the opening scenes in Berlin, which is 'tone and feel' which I think they should have kept throughout the film. Namely 'dark' and 'suspenseful'. Those earlier scenes were actually much closer to Spielberg's Bridge of Spies, in a good way.

They should perhaps have just launched into the Man From Uncle missions directly rather than wasting time on back stories that no body cared about. That's a problem with a lot of franchises these days. Just get on with it why don't you.

If I may add, I think a lot of it also has to do with the actors. Both Cavill and Hammer didn't surpass the originals or make the characters their own. It reminds me a lot of the new Star Trek movies. The new guys just seem like they're pantomining the originals rather than actually inhabiting the characters wholly.

So I wouldn't mind a reboot with a different name.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    God help us all when EoN cast someone completely off our radars.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    God help us all when EoN cast someone completely off our radars.

I'm all for getting someone absolutely nobody expects, someone way out of left field and off everyone's radar, while at the same time being a brilliant choice.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    @Szonana, I agree about them not having done the characters justice, on the romance front and in other areas too imho. The film seemed like a big travelogue. Glossy but something was seriously missing in the 'spy' or 'thriller' side, apart from perhaps the opening scenes in Berlin, which is 'tone and feel' which I think they should have kept throughout the film. Namely 'dark' and 'suspenseful'. Those earlier scenes were actually much closer to Spielberg's Bridge of Spies, in a good way.

They should perhaps have just launched into the Man From Uncle missions directly rather than wasting time on back stories that no body cared about. That's a problem with a lot of franchises these days. Just get on with it why don't you.

If I may add, I think a lot of it also has to do with the actors. Both Cavill and Hammer didn't surpass the originals or make the characters their own. It reminds me a lot of the new Star Trek movies. The new guys just seem like they're pantomining the originals rather than actually inhabiting the characters wholly.

So I wouldn't mind a reboot with a different name.

I don't think the actors were bad actually were pretty good.

maybe instead of Armie Hammer i would have gotten Alexander Skarsgard. he is incredibly handsome, has a great personality and could pass as a Russian, though i need to see his ability with accents.
    He has no problem with the American from what ive seen in True Blood, will see how he does the British on The legend of Tarzan.

But i agree with you too much back story, maybe going straight to the action and the mission could have helped the film.
    I don't need it to be dark and gritty thats what Bond is doing now, lets keep this light hearted just get some girls for Solo and one for Kuryakin in each film.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,093
    There is just something so prep boyish about Hiddleston. He seems more concerned about appearing charming and affable than anything else. Turner is the complete opposite to this. Everything I have seen him in ( Being Human, Poldark, ATTWN) he plays characters with an edge, or a darkness to them. He's more of a mans man than Hiddles, who gives off that modern, caststrated male vibe. Turner is rugged and stoic. I got a strong Connery Vibe from him in ATTWN, especially when I saw how he was around woman ( not spoiling anything). That show is basically a Bond audition tape for him and just that alone makes him the frontrunner for me. I feel like he would combine that cool/machismo of Connery with the dark cynical edge of Dalton, creating the ultimate Bond.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Prefer a British actor. An America can play a Brit BUT Bond is an icon. The actor playing has to "be" Bond. Better that actor be British.

Gosling is Canadian. I don't see why an Australian can be considered, but not a Canadian. Barbra even said herself she'd be open to a Canadian actor to play Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Gosling is Canadian. I don't see why an Australian can be considered, but not a Canadian. Barbra even said herself she'd be open to a Canadian actor to play Bond.

Yes, Gosling is and good point. I wasn't specifically referring to Gosling but just any American actor.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm not good at history but wasn't Australia British in the distant past?
    So an Australian makes sense.
    But a Canadian actor? Has Canada been British?

That BB would cast a Canadian worries me a great lot because then she'll probably cast anybody.

And Justin Bieber is Canadian!!! So beware :))
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I'm not good at history but wasn't Australia British in the distant past?
    So an Australian makes sense. But a Canadian actor? Has Canada been British?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_colonization_of_the_Americas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Australia_(1788%E2%80%931850)

That took less than 20 seconds to look up.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    So Justin Bieber is a go, damn.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    So Justin Bieber is a go, damn.

Well, he does have the same initials.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    In my opinion Owen would have performed well. Cavill is undeniably wooden. Owen acts. You know Dalton has a "monotone voice" too.
    Exactly what I was going to cite. Owen and Dalton are very much alike.

Sorry but what?! Are we talking about the same two actors??

Dalton is a top-class, stage trained actor, one of the most underrated of his generation. Clive Owen is a decent tv and film actor who has had a few very good performances where good scripts were involved.

Please (re-)watch 'King Arthur' and then watch 'The Lion In Winter' and you will see what I'm on about...
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,727

Turner just too Irish for me. And I'm not taking the mickey... :D
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    AceHole wrote: »
    In my opinion Owen would have performed well. Cavill is undeniably wooden. Owen acts. You know Dalton has a "monotone voice" too.

Dalton is a top-class, stage trained actor, one of the most underrated of his generation. Clive Owen is a decent tv and film actor who has had a few very good performances where good scripts were involved.

Please (re-)watch 'King Arthur' and then watch 'The Lion In Winter' and you will see what I'm on about...
    We do. There's no need to get excited about it.

I've seen them both. Same results as before.
  • RC7RC7
    I honestly think Owen would have been a terrible Bond.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,093
    Aidan Turner would make a great Bond. He does have that Dalton wolfish quality, but he also brings the sex appeal/machismo that Connery had in spades and Dalton lacked. I don't think anyone believed that when Dalton walked into a room, the women would turn to check him out. Similarly, after his first 2 films something rarely punctured Connery's external cool laidback persona, leading to a somewhat invulnerable character that you weren't emotional engaged by. Turner could make up for both these faults, that's why he completes the trifecta.

In that case I'm afraid you are beyond helping, there is nothing more I can do for you, my friend ;)

In that case I'm afraid you are beyond helping, there is nothing more I can do for you, my friend ;)
    ...And that, here, people, is one thing an individual would learn from coming into the MI6 Forums page.

No worries, friend. Not everything is for everyone. ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RC7 wrote: »
    I honestly think Owen would have been a terrible Bond.

You're not alone with that assessment. He would have been awful.

Double O boring: Licence to snooze.

...And that, here, people, is one thing an individual would learn from coming into the MI6 Forums page.

Hahar... :> yes, a valuable lesson. Never take things too seriously (unless it's football or Scotch...).

Hahar... :> yes, a valuable lesson. Never take things too seriously (unless it's football or Scotch...).
    DBuFtJc.jpg
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    A good actor....yes. But Bond....no. As he's American.
    Canadian, I think. He has a certain smoothness to him, but it borders on smugness sometimes imho.

Ah right, yes, your right. But no because he Canadian then. I do rate him as an actor though.....Drive, The Place Beyond the Pines, Crazy Stupid Love, Gangsta Squad, All Good Things....even...The Note Book...all good.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    You know? Of all the actors that have been candidates in the past, my biggest regret was not being able to see Clive Owen as Bond in at least one film. In my opinion, he was a missed opportunity.

HYPsm5M.jpg

I'm sure, if I'm remembering rightly, that Owen ruled himself out and said he had no interest in playing James Bond.
    He wasn't approached, unlike the claims the media has made.

Yes he wasn't and he said he wasn't interested.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You know? Of all the actors that have been candidates in the past, my biggest regret was not being able to see Clive Owen as Bond in at least one film. In my opinion, he was a missed opportunity.

HYPsm5M.jpg

I'm sure, if I'm remembering rightly, that Owen ruled himself out and said he had no interest in playing James Bond.

I wasn t approached by Jessica Alba either, and I am not interested.
    Yes but Turner has already been in contact with EON for over a month. They have probably taken his measurements by now.

HYPsm5M.jpg

I wasn t approached by Jessica Alba either, and I am not interested.

Same point, made in a different way.