No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Birdleson wrote: »

3. What do we do about the elephant in the room that is Blofeld? Just forget SP ever happened and leave him in prison or carry on from the end of SP with a new 35 year old Bond and Waltz still calling him brother?

If EON can ignore the marriage and death of Tracy for eight years, they should easily be able to just drop the history between Bond and Blofeld.

Fair point.

Although I think you'll find that the scene in FYEO was the new Bond visiting his predecessor's wife's grave so it's still never been properly addressed. Weren't you paying attention in the codename theory thread @Birdleson?

1. Dan is great and all, but I think his best years are behind him, both physically and in terms of his commitment. He has been Bond for a decade now, and that SP press tour rang the distant bell of Connery during YOLT. I think trying to squeeze another top level performance out of him is not well advised.

2. I think we all know my feelings about Turner being the holy ghost, completing the trinity with Connery and Dalton respectively. I won't harp on about that. Suffice to say that Craig wasn't exactly jumping out at you back in 2005 as the obvious choice. I'm sure they'll uncover someone young enough with everything essential for the role. To me, an actor can't prove themselves properly until they're actually in the suit themselves. EON's guidance is crucial in this regard.

3. Blofeld is obviously going to sit in a jail cell for the foreseeable future, otherwise he would have simply escaped at the end of SP. This links back to what I was saying earlier. If Blofeld had escaped, I would be inclined to believe that Craig would return for B25. The fact that Blofeld is captured and Craig literally drives off like that with Madeline at his side tells me that at the very least they are giving Craig AN ending, if he decides he's done.

1. You're probably right in what you say and it does feel like he's phoning it in a little in SP compared to the other three films but I'm loathed to let the best Bond since Sean go so easily.

2. Can't honestly say I've seen Turner in anything so difficult to say if your fetish for him is justified. He looks the part I suppose but then so did Brozza.

3. Well it's an ending you are right in that respect. But a pretty pisspoor one if it turns out to be Dan's final film. The villain (and not just any villain but Blofeld) ends up in nick! What sort of ending is that? This is Bond not Dixon of Dock Green.
    Shamelady wrote: »
    SP's tepid critical & box office reception (at least in the US)

200 million = tepid? Can you say "greed"?
    We live in a world where that is bad and being the 7th highest grossing super hero movie of all time is also basically being a bomb.... Yeah strange world we live in.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Risico007 wrote: »
    SP's tepid critical & box office reception (at least in the US)

200 million = tepid? Can you say "greed"?
    We live in a world where that is bad and being the 7th highest grossing super hero movie of all time is also basically being a bomb.... Yeah strange world we live in.

If it doesn't make profit it is a bomb.
    If it automatically should make 1.5 billion and doesn't even hit a billion, it is a bomb.
    For those that missed it some time ago, cartoon from The New Yorker magazine.

daily-cartoon-141224-santa-1200.jpg

No way the New Yorker published that. Must be a misattribution.

No way the New Yorker published that. Must be a misattribution.

But for sure!

http://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/daily-cartoon/daily-cartoon-wednesday-december-24th
    Ooooo. I bet they lost some subscribers over THAT one.
    Ooooo. I bet they lost some subscribers over THAT one.

Not me! :D
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ho Ho Ho Ms Claus
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd love to see someone do a Bond version of that. =))
    Once again, not really "news", but in an interview with this month's Empire magazine, Sam Mendes has said he will definitely not return for Bond 25. Though he speculates that Craig could return as Mendes can think of various ways of bringing Bond back to MI6.

Hoyte-van-Hoytema-and-Sam-Mendes-on-set-of-Spectre-.jpg

I'm still fairly convinced both him and Craig will come back.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll believe Mendes isn't returning once they announce a new director. His "confirmations" mean nothing, and I wouldn't be shocked if part of the delay may be spent attempting to persuade Mendes to come around to directing a third - which I seriously hope isn't the case.
    I want Nolan, Mendes needs a break or rather I need a break from his Bond. Though I think the priority is getting a great story and script.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Wasn't Mendes a lot less definite last time? I'm fairly sure that he was showing signs of being up for it by May 2013, if I'm not mistaken.
    @Mendes4Lyfe, I believe you're correct, however, I'm also sure he jumped the gun by announcing that he had spent all his ideas with SF and that he had nothing left for 'Bond 24' and wouldn't be returning.
    According to the IMDB listing for Bond 25, Daniel Craig is the only one 'rumored' to be playing Bond :)
    If me des comes back will bond 25 be titled Stavro? Or Blofeld? Or Shatterhand? Lol
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    According to the IMDB listing for Bond 25, Daniel Craig is the only one 'rumored' to be playing Bond :)

IMDB isn't a trustworthy site, as it can be edited by anyone, like Wikipedia.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll believe Mendes isn't returning once they announce a new director. His "confirmations" mean nothing, and I wouldn't be shocked if part of the delay may be spent attempting to persuade Mendes to come around to directing a third - which I seriously hope isn't the case.

I seriously doubt the "delay" is due to Mendes. I think that they're still very well on-schedule for a 2018 release, which was always going to be the earliest date for the next one. The absence of news at this point, IMO, is due to the fact that there is no distributor.

There are those calling EON "lazy" for not having done anything in the roughly six months since Spectre released, but there literally isn't anything that they can do at this point. There's no distribution deal for them, which means they can't make a movie yet. The distributor, for better or worse, is going to want to have some input since they'll basically be coming on board to keep the life support machines attached to MGM humming along.
    I didn't say the delay is due to Mendes, I said that during this delay, they may spend some of it trying to get him to come back to do a third, which wouldn't surprise me since they love him so much.

I can only assume that second part is directed elsewhere, then, since you misconstrued what I said.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    dalton wrote: »

I seriously doubt the "delay" is due to Mendes. I think that they're still very well on-schedule for a 2018 release, which was always going to be the earliest date for the next one. The absence of news at this point, IMO, is due to the fact that there is no distributor.

There are those calling EON "lazy" for not having done anything in the roughly six months since Spectre released, but there literally isn't anything that they can do at this point. There's no distribution deal for them, which means they can't make a movie yet. The distributor, for better or worse, is going to want to have some input since they'll basically be coming on board to keep the life support machines attached to MGM humming along.

Interesting. So working on the assumption that they have a distributor by the end of the year, do you think it's more likely that they'll keep on schedule, or push things back till 2019?
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,631
    I didn't say the delay is due to Mendes, I said that during this delay, they may spend some of it trying to get him to come back to do a third, which wouldn't surprise me since they love him so much.

I can only assume that second part is directed elsewhere, then, since you misconstrued what I said.

My apologies, I misunderstood what you wrote. No malice was intended either way, though, just a simple disagreement with what I thought you were trying to say. Again, my apologies.

And, yes, you're absolutely correct, the second part was absolutely not directed your way. I just simply find it a bit tiring, and childish frankly, to read comments that rake EON over the coals for not having any news about Bond 25 to release when the situation is not in their control, plus the fact that we're not all that far removed from the last one being released. EON can't move on the next film until MGM's situation is squared away.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Nolan will just give us more Mendes. The idea of either being involved in the next Bond film makes me want to heave.

Same here. We've had two Nolan-esque Bond films brought to us by Mendes. I have no desire to see another film in that style. Time for something new.

Nolan would suck all the fun out of Bond and not to mention bring on the Blandest composer working today. Pass Pass PASS!!! Big directors don't always mean good movies.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Personally I think Nolan is superior to Mendes on many aspect's of film making. I feel Nolan would give us a more reality based Bond with far more imaginative action set pieces, Nolan is far more accomplished at building tension. Nolan would give us one of the greatest Bond movies ever, if we were lucky enough to have his services.
    I don't want a "reality based" Bond film. Bond films aren't reality. They are fantasy. If you want a reality based Spy movie, There's Tinker Tenor Soldier Spy, or Ipcress File. That's not Bond. SF and SP had decent tension but Nolan would bring even more boring exposition and crappier music to the mix. New untapped potential would be where to go. Not overhyped filmmakers.
    Other than Nolan, I dont see what diection they can take. They wont go OTT after Craig. right away IMO
    I'd like Martin Campbell back to finish of Craig's era have things come full circle.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 1,631
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Other than Nolan, I dont see what diection they can take. They wont go OTT after Craig. right away IMO

There are plenty of other directions that they can go. There are many directors better than Nolan who EON could go out and hire and take the film in many other directions than the direction Nolan would take things.
    Haha, I know 18 months is still a really long time

When you get to my age, 18 months is not a "really long time". It takes me a day and a half to drink my morning coffee.

Not really morning coffee then is it. 18 months is a really long time to be on a knife edge for.

I feel your pain. But at least you young whippersnappers have the luxury of popping a DVD into the player any time your hankering for a glimpse of Mr. Bond is impossible to overcome. In the "olden" days, other than holding out hope for the infrequent re-release, one REALLY learned the meaning of a "long time". After a new Bond-a-year through TB, the year-and-a-half wait for YOLT (with only the appearance of a DN/GF double bill to tide one over in the interim) was a killer.