No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

doubleoego wrote: »
    Personally I think this Bond being anything other than white is one big media merry-go-round. It's a massive click bait ploy. Bond's skin colour won't change.

From your keyboard to God's ear.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The latest quote from Tom Hiddlestone on the role. Not sure how much we should read into this.

"The thing is the position is not vacant," Tom Hiddleston said when asked about playing James Bond at the White House Correspondents' Dinner, per CBS. "So, I don't know that I can answer that question until it is."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40,562
    Because the position isn't vacant; Craig is currently still in the role until they confirm otherwise. I don't know why people are interviewing Hiddleston as if he's the #1 expert on what's going on behind the scenes of a franchise he has no part of, especially if he's correct when he says that absolutely nobody has approached him. We might as well get input from Danny Trejo or Sigourney Weaver while we're at it.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Personally I think this Bond being anything other than white is one big media merry-go-round. It's a massive click bait ploy. Bond's skin colour won't change.

From your keyboard to God's ear.

While we waiting for the Bond 25 announcement to be arrived, I wonder the American start to pronounce same thing as the Brittons:

Bruv
    Motorbike

For British pronunciation for 2017:

Truck ( as in few types of it).
    I find it funny people are in an uproar over the doctor strange casting.
    Yet people have no problem supporting a black bond. Lol can't believe Idris Elba is still being considered..

If bond was a code name then yes sure, but James Bond is one person.
    A white guy from Scotland. I don't understand why people can't just create a new character for a black actor.
    Make a new series like bond and mission impossible but to change his race after he has been a white character in films for over 50 years....

I think they need to make a decision fast about Craig too, he's getting old haha

Couple of things:

People are upset about the Doctor Strange casting because there are already so few Asian characters in current movie franchises, and now an important Asian character has been recast as white, thus worsening the balance. James Bond is an entirely different case because we don't currently have a shortage of white men on our screens.

Idris Elba wouldn't be my choice for the role, but I really don't see the problem with the idea of a black Bond; it's 2016 for Christ's sake and it really wouldn't change the character. He'd still be a publicly educated womaniser with dead parents and a drinking problem. Black Scotsman are not unheard of either. If you're that keen to preserve Fleming's original vision of the character, then you should be insisting on a dark haired Scotsman with a scar on his cheek. Otherwise I don't see how casting a black Bond would be any more an affront to Fleming that the blond Scouser we've got at the moment.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with Bond's character in this day and age - black men can be as much a part of the establishment in 2016 as a white man, and I'm yet to see a good reason for why whiteness is an intrinsic part of today's Bond.

For the record, I don't think it's racist to be opposed to a black Bond, just a bit idiotic.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Few Asian characters? They make a million movies a year over there.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,694
    I wouldn't mind an asian directing a Bond film the day EON decides to hire non-British directors.

I'm sure @Creasy47 wouldn't object to the guy who did 'The Chaser' in doing Bond 26 or whichever film will be the next one? Atleast we'd be getting triple A star action scenes.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Yet people have no problem supporting a black bond. Lol can't believe Idris Elba is still being considered..

A white guy from Scotland. I don't understand why people can't just create a new character for a black actor.
    Make a new series like bond and mission impossible but to change his race after he has been a white character in films for over 50 years....

I think they need to make a decision fast about Craig too, he's getting old haha

Couple of things:

People are upset about the Doctor Strange casting because there are already so few Asian characters in current movie franchises, and now an important Asian character has been recast as white, thus worsening the balance. James Bond is an entirely different case because we don't currently have a shortage of white men on our screens.

Idris Elba wouldn't be my choice for the role, but I really don't see the problem with the idea of a black Bond; it's 2016 for Christ's sake and it really wouldn't change the character. He'd still be a publicly educated womaniser with dead parents and a drinking problem. Black Scotsman are not unheard of either. If you're that keen to preserve Fleming's original vision of the character, then you should be insisting on a dark haired Scotsman with a scar on his cheek. Otherwise I don't see how casting a black Bond would be any more an affront to Fleming that the blond Scouser we've got at the moment.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with Bond's character in this day and age - black men can be as much a part of the establishment in 2016 as a white man, and I'm yet to see a good reason for why whiteness is an intrinsic part of today's Bond.

For the record, I don't think it's racist to be opposed to a black Bond, just a bit idiotic.

It's not anymore idiotic then giving the okay to cast a white guy as Shaft.

The argument is if the casting and character of Bond has to be white or black or Asian or American or Mexican or why not Jamaican. They have womanizing drunk Jamaicans. Hey Bond can be Jamaican.

Women can be drunk womanizers too. Bond can be a woman. Nothing idiotic in that.

Besides Bond is just a codename anyway so who the f$%^# cares.
    I definitely wouldn't mind if I knew it'd translate to some absolutely insane, entertaining action scenes - something that has been sorely missed by me for a while now. However, the same director tackling all of the other aspects of Bond is an area I'd be concerned about.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, there are tonnes of Asian actors, just not in the west. It's not like China has a plethora of homegrown Caucasian actors.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I don't have a valid argument for why Bond shouldn't be black, but I'd just prefer he stay white. It plays better to how I know and imagine him. I also would prefer him to be tall (a peeve I have with Craig, no matter how good an actor he is).

To my knowledge, Bond is not defined by his skin colour, and that is all casting a black actor in the role would change. It doesn't change much else, because all his other characteristics can theorethically remain, including having Scottish descent (just a few generations removed perhaps). That attribute was added by Fleming after Connery was cast anyway as far as I know.

However, as I've said before, I think it might practically be more difficult for a 'black' Bond to be a womanizer, and a bit of an a$$^0!@, and I like that characteristic of his. Why? Well because the politically correct could then say that it's racially stereotyping black people. I don't want my Bond watered down to appease anyone.

Moreover, as I've also said, I don't think a black Bond will be as accepted in some foreign markets, which the studio and MGM will be chasing for higher box office returns.
    Sadly, the changing times have already watered down the Bond of the 21st Century.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Couple of things:

The argument is if the casting and character of Bond has to be white or black or Asian or American or Mexican or why not Jamaican. They have womanizing drunk Jamaicans. Hey Bond can be Jamaican.

Women can be drunk womanizers too. Bond can be a woman. Nothing idiotic in that.

We've agreed that Britishness is an intrinsic aspect of Bond's character, as is, I'd argue, his gender, his public education, his military background, and his upbringing. Changing these aspects of his character would obviously alter his motivations and affect the way he is portrayed. The colour of his skin is an entirely different matter, because it doesn't change anything. In 2016 it's no different to him having lighter hair or a slightly Irish accent, as we've had in the past.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh dear not this BS again.

Couple of things:

We've agreed that Britishness is an intrinsic aspect of Bond's character, as is, I'd argue, his gender, his public education, his military background, and his upbringing. Changing these aspects of his character would obviously alter his motivations and affect the way he is portrayed. The colour of his skin is an entirely different matter, because it doesn't change anything. In 2016 it's no different to him having lighter hair or a slightly Irish accent, as we've had in the past.

But now you've changed your position. First you were arguing why Bond should be black, now you're saying that its not a problem if he is black. Those are two similar, but slightly different, arguments. I don't like it when people keep moving the goal posts like that, it seems to happen a lot when discussing race. And what does it mean 'In 2016'? You mean as apposed to 2015 or 2010?

Couple of things:

But now you've changed your position. First you were arguing why Bond should be black, now you're saying that its not a problem if he is black. Those are two similar, but slightly different, arguments. I don't like it when people keep moving the goal posts like that, it seems to happen a lot when discussing race. And what does it mean 'In 2016'? You mean as apposed to 2015 or 2010?

Um, I never once said that Bond should be black. I said that it doesn't matter if he is. Obviously I'm using 2016 to refer to our contemporary social context in a generic sense.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Murdock wrote: »

Yes. Been there, done that.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 16,334
    Bond and Social Context should not be used in the same sentence. Get that PC crap away from Bond at all cost. He's a fictional character not a platform for Keyboard warriors to impose their politics of being okay with changing everything Bond is to fit their desires. I'm sick of that crap.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,160
    Bond and Social Context should not be used in the same sentence. Get that PC crap away from Bond at all cost. He's a fictional character not a platform for Keyboard warriors to impose their politics of being okay with changing everything Bond is to fit their desires. I'm sick of that crap.

Haven't you heard... It's 2016. Checkmate. B-)

Again. I'd really like to know how Bond being black would change anything about what "bond is".

Honestly, the attitudes of some of the Bond fandom make me wish for a black Bond just to see you all lose your minds over an actor's skin colour.

Also, I'll leave this clip here from the venerable Stewart Lee, since I'm seeing a lot of nonsense about "PC" and I don't really think people know what they're talking about:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bmsV1TuESrc

Haven't you heard. It's 2016. Checkmate. B-)

I live in the real world, not a Safe Space. ;)

Again. I'd really like to know how Bond being black would change anything about what "bond is".

Honestly, the attitudes of some of the Bond fandom make me wish for a black Bond just to see you all lose your minds over an actor's skin colour.

Also, I'll leave this clip here from the venerable Stewart Lee, since I'm seeing a lot of nonsense about "PC" and I don't really think people know what they're talking about:

:-O

Bond fans aren't OK with black people unless Bond is black?

:-O

Bond fans aren't OK with black people unless Bond is black?

Reading comprehension isn't you forte, is it mate?

It changes his whole character. Human beings can't up and change their skin colors on a dime or the snap of a finger. It's complete utter nonsense. How would you feel if you created a character a certain way and some nutjob wanted to change it to pander to a hip new audience. It dilutes the character. Just because it's "2016" doesn't mean anything. So what does that mean? This character would benefit with a new ethnicity, let's change it because it's cool. No thank you.

It changes his whole character. Human beings can't up and change their skin colors on a dime or the snap of a finger. It's complete utter nonsense. How would you feel if you created a character a certain way and some nutjob wanted to change it to pander to a hip new audience. It dilutes the character. Just because it's "2016" doesn't mean anything. So what does that mean? This character would benefit with a new ethnicity, let's change it because it's cool. No thank you.

The character wouldn't benefit from being black, nor would he be diminished. It would just be another actor playing James Bond, just like we've had men with dark hair and light hair play him in the past. People can't suddenly change their height or their eye colour either. We're not making Bond gay or putting him in a wheelchair, it would change nothing but the complexion of his skin.
    And I said it's 2016 because in this day and age it's entirely plausible for Bond's character to be black and otherwise stay exactly the same. Obviously it wasn't in the fifties.

The character wouldn't benefit from being black, nor would he be diminished. It would just be another actor playing James Bond, just like we've had men with dark hair and light hair play him in the past. People can't suddenly change their height or their eye colour either. We're not making Bond gay or putting him in a wheelchair, it would change nothing but the complexion of his skin.

Every Bond actor has been around the same height anyway and people can change their height over time, Some people shrink when they get older, And you can change your eye color with contact lenses. Not natural of course but it can still be done. I didn't say anything about Making Bond gay or crippled. Changing complexion is a pretty big change. And not a change I want in Bond, or any film series for that matter.

The eye colour and height thing was done by necessity. They obviously couldn't find 6 guys exactly the same height etc. That's a completely different argument to DECIDING to give the character a different race.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @JawsIsAlive, some of us would just prefer a white Bond. I'm one of them. Call me old fashioned if you want. It's how I imagine him. Just like how I imagine him being smart and speaking proper English. Just a part of who I think he is.

As I said in my previous post, there's no reason he can't be black in today's age, but I do take issue with your comment that he won't be diminished. I still think he will be 'diminished' at the box office potentially, and by potentially becoming a lightning rod for certain groups who may choose to make hay out a black actor in such a prestigious role. I don't need the palaver quite frankly.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,117

Indeed. In a genuine information vacuum like we have now all threads lead to Elba.