No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wait so who was it telling EON that they had to recast Dalton? The distributor or the studio?
    It was MGM to my knowledge, who at the time was playing both roles. These days there are three parties who influence the choice of actor. In the past there were only two.

Right. So its most likely this new party who will be the most interested in recasting. Woah, thinks really are all up the air at the moment, aren't they! :-SS
    That's where there is a difference of opinion on here. I agree with you - if I was the new studio, given Craig's age and SP's tepid critical & box office reception (at least in the US) I would want to recast with a younger actor and move forward with a quick release schedule (to firmly establish the new chap) for his first two, and preferably with the same director for the first two films to have tonal consistency.

Others believe that a new studio would want to stick with Craig.
    Unless part of the deal struck by MGM/Eon is to keep their man Craig.
    No question whatsoever EON and whoever the new distributor is wants Craig to stay. After 3 billion + dollars from the last 4 films a new actor would be too big of a risk. The only people wanting or speculating over a possible replacement are here on these forums or in the tabloids.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Wait so who was it telling EON that they had to recast Dalton? The distributor or the studio?
    It was MGM to my knowledge, who at the time was playing both roles. These days there are three parties who influence the choice of actor. In the past there were only two.

Right. So its most likely this new party who will be the most interested in recasting. Woah, thinks really are all up the air at the moment, aren't they! :-SS
    That's where there is a difference of opinion on here. I agree with you - if I was the new studio, given Craig's age and SP's tepid critical & box office reception (at least in the US) I would want to recast with a younger actor and move forward with a quick release schedule (to firmly establish the new chap) for his first two, and preferably with the same director for the first two films to have tonal consistency.

This does kind of justify the fever pitch around here, doesn't it. You have MGM, EON and Warner Bros (for arguments sake), standing in a circle like the final scene of The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Us fans are on a knife-edge, waiting for the next move. Except unlike TGTBATU, we could be suspended in this same state of frenzied anticipation for months or even years to come.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    No question whatsoever EON and whoever the new distributor is wants Craig to stay. After 3 billion + dollars from the last 4 films a new actor would be too big of a risk. The only people wanting or speculating over a possible replacement are here on these forums or in the tabloids.
    You are only looking at the revenue side. If you consider the budgets and what the studio is left with reportedly after MGM & EON's take, it's really not that much of a benefit to them. Craig is not cheap these days, and it may make more sense to reset things with a more economical approach all round, to improve overall profitability for the first two films.

Moreover, the man has one more him at best. That is not what you want to necessarily bet on, because you will have to reset again with the next film anyway.

This does kind of justify the fever pitch around here, doesn't it. You have MGM, EON and Warner Bros (for arguments sake), standing in a circle like the final scene of The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Us fans are on a knife-edge, waiting for the next move. Except unlike TGTBATU, we could be suspended in this same state of frenzied anticipation for months or even years to come.

I think the money involved itself is probably a bigger factor. Bond is a bankable product with or without Craig. And Sony didn't get a good deal for themselves last time round.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    The only people wanting or speculating over a possible replacement are here on these forums or in the tabloids.

And Idris Elba.
    It just seems strange to me to keep Craig when all this change is happening anyway, on both sides of the camera. Whatever happens, B25 will be alot different than the rest of the Craig era, whether Craig is in it or not. It just seems like the natural juncture for a fresh start.

It would also be weird seeing Craig return after SP. What is the next step in his arc after he has gained the happiness he always wanted with Madeline? Creating some contrived plot to artificially extend the Craig era just so we can see a fan favourite actor return doesn't really get me excited for Bond 25. Craig has had 4 films now. He should have had 5 IMO, but that's EON's fault for taking too long, and for making the Craig Bond old too soon in SF. With everything that is happening, I think its about time that someone else had a go. After all, nothing kick starts excitement up better than a brand new Bond. I have a feeling if Craig returns for B25, it will be his DAF, AVTAK.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,600
    A tangent again but SF IMHO would have been a great way for DC to say goodbye. (not saying he should have finished after 3, the order should be different in a perfect World) The many references to age, combined with M's death. Re the rooftop scene (with now an almost iconic view with the Union Jacks fluttering in the breeze), Bond receives the Bulldog.
    "Maybe it was her way of telling
    you to call it a day."
    "Maybe".
    And just leave it there with Bond standing upright overlooking London.
    What a lovely and sensitive way to say goodbye ?
    DC deserves a better goodbye than the scene in SP IMHO
    An excellent point of view @patb. I never thought about that before, but now that you mention it, I concur.
    patb wrote: »
    A tangent again but SF IMHO would have been a great way for DC to say goodbye. (not saying he should have finished after 3, the order should be different in a perfect World) The many references to age, combined with M's death. Re the rooftop scene (with now an almost iconic view with the Union Jacks fluttering in the breeze), Bond receives the Bulldog.
    "Maybe it was her way of telling
    you to call it a day."
    "Maybe".
    And just leave it there with Bond standing upright overlooking London.
    What a lovely and sensitive way to say goodbye ?

Yeah, I agree SF would've worked better as a last hurrah.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,600
    Sorry, just to add, one of the elements that has characterised DC's Bond is a deeper, more thoughtful Bond. Plus, at the end of the day, Bond is a loner. To have him deep in thought (mourning the loss of M and considering his own career and future) whilst symbolically on his own, looking out over his "home ground" would have added even more emotion to what is one of the highlights of the movie (plus the music for that scene is superb). The scene would fade to black: "James Bond will return....." (Bond theme comes in)
    PS it also then cuts out the horrible "you know, we've never been introduced" scene and leaves a new Bond to work with a new M but one that we have been introduced to (if only I was in charge :-) )
    Spectre is a lot like season 4 of breaking bad. Where after season 4 they didn't know if there would be a 5 season. But they did end up having one and it turned out to be phenomenal. Spectre could be the end of Craig's run as Bond as it brought everything to full circle but if just like season 5 of breaking bad, Bond 25 could countinue the Craig saga but at the same time create a new story arc.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Comment deleted, others had answered the question I did.

If Craig does go, one thing I hope is that Wishaw stays on across the reboot (because they won't continue the SP storyline without Craig) ala Judi Dench. He's fantastic as Q imo which surprised me because of how skeptical I was pre SF. I'd love to see him stay on for multiple actors. He's young enough to potentially break Desmond Llewellyn's record.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If Craig does go, one thing I hope is that Wishaw stays on across the reboot (because they won't continue the SP storyline without Craig) ala Judi Dench. He's fantastic as Q imo which surprised me because of how skeptical I was pre SF. I'd love to see him stay on for multiple actors. He's young enough to potentially break Desmond Llewellyn's record.
    The problem is, Whishaw is already in his mid-thirties. If EoN wants to keep this "young Q" persona, they may need to recast once Craig leaves.
    It would be nice to see Whishaw mature into the role and age with it. From young pimply geek to seasoned vet.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,099
    Yeah, It's lunacy recasting Q. Whishaw has made the role his own in just two films, I can't wait to see where they take him next.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I love his version of Q, I think it's brilliant. It all depends on whether EoN wants to keep a young Q or have him develop as the years go on.
    I'm not sure this will be a problem either way as Whishaw hasn't aged for well over a decade now.
    I think he should stay on as Q for while. He's fantastic. Yes he will age, but he will grow with the role. He should try to stay on for a long time. I think in general the mi6 crew should be less involved = less filming time required for each film = they stay on longer. I would be very unhappy to see him go.
    SP's tepid critical & box office reception (at least in the US)

200 million = tepid? Can you say "greed"?
    Haha, I know 18 months is still a really long time

When you get to my age, 18 months is not a "really long time". It takes me a day and a half to drink my morning coffee.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It just seems strange to me to keep Craig when all this change is happening anyway, on both sides of the camera. Whatever happens, B25 will be alot different than the rest of the Craig era, whether Craig is in it or not. It just seems like the natural juncture for a fresh start.

It would also be weird seeing Craig return after SP. What is the next step in his arc after he has gained the happiness he always wanted with Madeline? Creating some contrived plot to artificially extend the Craig era just so we can see a fan favourite actor return doesn't really get me excited for Bond 25. Craig has had 4 films now. He should have had 5 IMO, but that's EON's fault for taking too long, and for making the Craig Bond old too soon in SF. With everything that is happening, I think its about time that someone else had a go. After all, nothing kick starts excitement up better than a brand new Bond. I have a feeling if Craig returns for B25, it will be his DAF, AVTAK.

These are valid points and to an extent I agree.

The problems I have with a change of Bond are:

1. Dan is superb in the role and to let such a good Bond go early would be a great shame. It's not like he's anywhere near Rog in AVTAK in terms of being too old.

2. There is no outstanding candidate to take over. Hiddlestone I could live with after The Night Manager but he doesn't blow me away. I'm all for Dan staying for the next one if only to kill off Elba's challenge as he'll be too old by B26.

3. What do we do about the elephant in the room that is Blofeld? Just forget SP ever happened and leave him in prison or carry on from the end of SP with a new 35 year old Bond and Waltz still calling him brother?

Shamelady wrote: »
    Haha, I know 18 months is still a really long time

When you get to my age, 18 months is not a "really long time". It takes me a day and a half to drink my morning coffee.

Not really morning coffee then is it. 18 months is a really long time to be on a knife edge for.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Shamelady wrote: »
    SP's tepid critical & box office reception (at least in the US)

200 million = tepid? Can you say "greed"?
    It's all relative of course. Keep in mind that that's a 34% decline from SF, an almost unheard of reduction, and even more so when you consider increased ticket prices in the 3 yrs since the prior film's release.
    I read somewhere that North American ticket sales were even less than QoS, which was hardly the best reviewed Bond film, and which was released in the middle of the financial crisis.

The key though is the budget & profitability, as I mentioned in my follow up post above (which was much higher for SP compared to SF), and the amount left for the studio, which is nothing much. Sony reportedly made roughly $50m on SF and it's share on SP is likely less.

So I would think a future studio concern would want a little more share of the pie, and that's where cost cutting comes in, everything else being equal.

These are valid points and to an extent I agree.

The problems I have with a change of Bond are:

1. Dan is superb in the role and to let such a good Bond go early would be a great shame. It's not like he's anywhere near Rog in AVTAK in terms of being too old.

2. There is no outstanding candidate to take over. Hiddlestone I could live with after The Night Manager but he doesn't blow me away. I'm all for Dan staying for the next one if only to kill off Elba's challenge as he'll be too old by B26.

3. What do we do about the elephant in the room that is Blofeld? Just forget SP ever happened and leave him in prison or carry on from the end of SP with a new 35 year old Bond and Waltz still calling him brother?

1. Dan is great and all, but I think his best years are behind him, both physically and in terms of his commitment. He has been Bond for a decade now, and that SP press tour rang the distant bell of Connery during YOLT. I think trying to squeeze another top level performance out of him is not well advised.

2. I think we all know my feelings about Turner being the holy ghost, completing the trinity with Connery and Dalton respectively. I won't harp on about that. Suffice to say that Craig wasn't exactly jumping out at you back in 2005 as the obvious choice. I'm sure they'll uncover someone young enough with everything essential for the role. To me, an actor can't prove themselves properly until they're actually in the suit themselves. EON's guidance is crucial in this regard.

3. Blofeld is obviously going to sit in a jail cell for the foreseeable future, otherwise he would have simply escaped at the end of SP. This links back to what I was saying earlier. If Blofeld had escaped, I would be inclined to believe that Craig would return for B25. The fact that Blofeld is captured and Craig literally drives off like that with Madeline at his side tells me that at the very least they are giving Craig AN ending, if he decides he's done.
    It could go either way, with Craig riding off in the sunset but then again Blofeld is still out there. No way he stays captured long. There's so much potential in the two of them for Bond 25 it boggles the mind.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My dream Bond movie. [-O<
    N2VVlXEl.jpg