No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gettler wrote: »
    God, I'd hate to see this happen to Bond. My fear is that Disney will have a say in future films, at least content-wise. All speculation, though. Hopefully it ends up in the right hands.

The keyword in your post being, speculation. Yes, hopefully Bond does end up in the right hands but 1) we have to hope EoN have snapped out of whatever trance they've been in for the last how many years because if not ut doesn't really matter that much who the distributor is and 2) Disney being the distributor doesn't even come close to being the apocalypse some of you are making out to be. If it turns out it's them I'll see you all in the ticket lines.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    smitty wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    As I sad earlier, that risk certainly exists, but it is not a given by any means. This is a distribution deal to my knowledge, and that is something Disney does well. They also have other expertise that can benefit EON. Artistic control can be managed, depending on how the deal is structured.

Distribution deal. Did you read the Sony leaks? Sony was totally involved with everything, scripts, locations, casting, budget, everything. Any studio can distribute the damn films. Sure, if all you care about is the BO, Disney has the money and power to squeeze out more profit. If you care about the quality of the films, Disney sucks.
    No I didn't read the Sony leaks. Apparently you did. Apparently also with no love for Disney and hyperbole in full effect.

As I said, everything depends on how a deal is structured.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Disney being the distributor doesn't even come close to being the apocalypse some of you are making out to be. If it turns out it's them I'll see you all in the ticket lines.
    Precisely. A lot of drama queens here.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,116
    MGW and Babs have always had primary control over Bond whether good or bad. Although I do believe MGW's health kept him less of a daily voice on SP which may have affected the final film. That's just conjecture.

Anyway doubt it's Disney but don't think it would be as deleterious as some fear. Seriously, SW7 could have been released by Fox and we wouldn't know.

Yes I know the mouse has a micromanagement history.

Yes Long Ranger sucked.

Yes original Young Bond books published by Disney. Yes those bad mouth producers whose studio was then owned by Disney wanted to film Young Bond.

I still think WB or Fox.
  • Why would Disney acquire Bond, a non-PC character who promotes murder, gambling, alcohol, and promiscuity? Not to mention racism, homophobia, drugs, and (gasp!) smoking if you delve into his literary past. Outside of obvious R-rated fare, I couldn't think of any other modern character that would be less of a fit for their brand of merchandising and theme parks. If you can't sell toys of it to eight year old girls, I don't see what's in it for Disney, other than wanting to be a Goldfinger-esque hoarder of the world's supply of movies. For them, Bond is a relatively minor deal compared to the money machines of Marvel or Star Wars.
    I'm sure this has been posted before, but I'm including it again below. Interesting comments on Pascal renegotiating an earlier deal for Sony in a way that may have given too much away (financially, although in return she apparently got a creative input voice).

Also interesting to note that Sony made less on SF than Tom Cruise himself made on a Mission Impossible film (not sure which one) due to a bad deal the studio struck with him and first points participation.

http://deadline.com/2015/10/daniel-craig-james-bond-sony-warner-bros-mgm-daniel-craig-1201528241/
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I used to think I wouldn't be looking forward to Craig leaving the role and would wonder if the series could be the same for me again after he's gone.

Though in light of how lame SPECTRE was I'm actually quite keen on the idea of them recasting Bond and Craig committing to this series.

Bond has afforded Craig fame and fortune but as far as being taken series as a dramatic actor outside his fan base I don't think anyone else thinks he has much range outside of that.

I'm more encouraged seeing Craig get a role that has some real weight and allow him to do something other than play a damaged super spy.

The problem with his success and playing Bond is that some think that's it for him and are totally unaware that until CR Craig was well respected versatile character actor.

I was a Craig fan before Bond and supported him getting the role but I think sometime playing Bond has robbed him of a far more interesting career.

If they said they were pressing the reset button and a new Bond would be in 25 as long as at least Fiennes and Wishaw were retained I'd be fine with that. I

n fact I'd be more excited about another entry than I am about them following up one of the most disappointing and wasted opportunities of the entire series. I've come to the conclusion I prefer QOS to SPECTRE, it's now for me the worst Craig film.

Agree. Craig was just breaking thru in film when he took Bond. Age wise, it may have cost him the most important years of an actors film career. Bond has brought him fame and money, but artistically, the role is a bit of a straight jacket which is likely why he keeps going back to stage work. He's tried to give Bond more depth, but the role is not very elastic and he's done pretty much all he can do with it. As a trained actor, Craig is an odd duck re ambition. He seems to almost be disillusioned with film given his choice to avoid any other non Bond film work since TGWTDT. He's a talented actor, but Stage work leaves no record outside of the very small numbers that see his plays, so it's a shame he hasn't done more films between Bonds.

• Birdleson wrote: »
    Disney wants it all. I wouldn't call it a minor deal. SKYFALL was the highest grossing picture in the history of the UK and ranks in the top ten worldwide. Throughout the life of the franchise there have been several years where the Bond film was the highest grossing picture of the year (and once second only to STAR WARS). Disney would love to get their hands on it.

Yeah. A series that made a billion and then followed that up with a B+ earning $880 million is still a huge deal that every studio in town would want to get hold of, and makes more money than most of the individual superheroes. But again, branding. For Disney it's all about merch, merch, merch. Unless there's a massive market for Bond toys, t-shirts, videogames, lunchboxes, and who knows what else to line the shelves of the Disney store (and I mean a market to sell these to small children, not to 43 year old men to put in display cases :) ) , I don't see it happening. But stranger things have happened in Bond history.
    If Disney gets the kind of creative input that Sony got over the last few films, then yes, it could turn out bad. The damage they would do to Bond if they got any kind of creative control would be staggering. EON might be able to hold on in the short term but eventually Disney would take over.

It's not "drama queening" as has already been stated. No hysterics going on here. Just a simple statement of fact, that Disney won't a single dollar out of me when it comes to Bond.
    dalton wrote: »
    If Disney gets the kind of creative input that Sony got over the last few films, then yes, it could turn out bad. The damage they would do to Bond if they got any kind of creative control would be staggering. EON might be able to hold on in the short term but eventually Disney would take over.

It's not "drama queening" as has already been stated. No hysterics going on here. Just a simple statement of fact, that Disney won't a single dollar out of me when it comes to Bond.
    There are a lot of if's and suppositions in some of the comments around here. I'm sure EON knows how to structure a decent deal and protect the franchise. Nothing to worry about here in my view. I'll be happy with any of them, but would prefer if it's not Sony. Time for a change.
    I used to think I wouldn't be looking forward to Craig leaving the role and would wonder if the series could be the same for me again after he's gone.

Though in light of how lame SPECTRE was I'm actually quite keen on the idea of them recasting Bond and Craig committing to this series.

Bond has afforded Craig fame and fortune but as far as being taken series as a dramatic actor outside his fan base I don't think anyone else thinks he has much range outside of that.

I'm more encouraged seeing Craig get a role that has some real weight and allow him to do something other than play a damaged super spy.

The problem with his success and playing Bond is that some think that's it for him and are totally unaware that until CR Craig was well respected versatile character actor.

I was a Craig fan before Bond and supported him getting the role but I think sometime playing Bond has robbed him of a far more interesting career.

If they said they were pressing the reset button and a new Bond would be in 25 as long as at least Fiennes and Wishaw were retained I'd be fine with that. I

n fact I'd be more excited about another entry than I am about them following up one of the most disappointing and wasted opportunities of the entire series. I've come to the conclusion I prefer QOS to SPECTRE, it's now for me the worst Craig film.
    smitty wrote: »

Agree. Craig was just breaking thru in film when he took Bond. Age wise, it may have cost him the most important years of an actors film career. Bond has brought him fame and money, but artistically, the role is a bit of a straight jacket which is likely why he keeps going back to stage work. He's tried to give Bond more depth, but the role is not very elastic and he's done pretty much all he can do with it. As a trained actor, Craig is an odd duck re ambition. He seems to almost be disillusioned with film given his choice to avoid any other non Bond film work since TGWTDT. He's a talented actor, but Stage work leaves no record outside of the very small numbers that see his plays, so it's a shame he hasn't done more films between Bonds.

I agree with both of you regarding Craig as Bond. I feel that he's been sort of let down by EON and the scripts, and there's not more he can do with the character as far as I can see. He's a fantastic Bond, but the role has its limits, and he has sort of stopped doing other movies, which is unfortunate - both for his movie career and for anyone who likes him as an actor and would like to see him do varied work.

On one hand I'd love him to do another Bond movie (he is my fave Bond after all), hopefully a much better one than the last one. On the other hand I'm not entirely optimistic the next one will have a great script and be a fab film, either, and worry that he'll just waste a few more years of his career repeating a role in movie that will end up as meh, instead of doing something different and challenging to him as an actor. - Obviously I realize that people who loved Spectre would disagree with this.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    I liked SP @Tuulia, but still think you are right on all points. I too think Craig has been a great Bond, but he could really be risking his legacy with 25. Maybe best to leave Bond and hopefully find the great film roles that will show what he is capable of as an actor.
    I disagr e and would welcome Craig back twice honestly
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    With this play and the television series, who knows if he's going to return. Time will tell, I just hope we don't have a horribly long hiatus while they wait for him.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ideally I'd like for Craig to come back for one more especially with new Bourne and MI movies being mapped out over the next few years. Bond can't afford to sit on the sidelines and let others steal his thunder. What EoN need to do is stop twiddling their thumbs and lock Craig down for at least one more but this time, get in new writers and a new director with a vision to carry Bond forward in an exciting and compelling way. For all of SP's faults and there were many, the one that irked me a great deal was the utter absence of any tension. Ridiculous.
    The stage play could have been got round with a bit of rejigging, but not the so-rumoured 20 episode apiece Purity tv series. That is a bold statement, folks. No way should Eon wait for Craig to complete a tv show and fit around his schedule - this is a business, like any other. They've already delayed production for one Bond, waiting for Sam Mendes to make his mind up, and I just can't see them doing it a second time. These movies need to be turned around much faster than they're currently being done. Not that I think Craig is still open to doing Bond 25, as I don't. That ship has sailed.

This must truly be the end of Craig's run as Bond.
    bondsum wrote: »
    The stage play could have been got round with a bit of rejigging, but not the so-rumoured 20 episode apiece Purity tv series. That is a bold statement, folks. No way should Eon wait for Craig to complete a tv show and fit around his schedule - this is a business, like any other. They've already delayed production for one Bond, waiting for Sam Mendes to make his mind up, and I just can't see them doing it a second time. These movies need to be turned around much faster than they're currently being done. Not that I think Craig is still open to doing Bond 25, as I don't. That ship has sailed.

This must truly be the end of Craig's run as Bond.
    This!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm expecting an announcement that he's done soon and to be honest I'm not that bothered if it comes.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 199
    I wasn't sure whether Craig would be back for Bond 25, but I sort of hoped he would return. I would have put the odds at 50/50. Although Spectre wasn't the best Bond movie, he was great in it. However, during the press interviews and the tv appearances, Craig looked bored and its become clear he has zero passion for the role and is just a well paid gig for him with some high profile annoyances. Brosnan on the other hand, after he had finished Die Another Day said he couldn't wait to return, but then he got the call saying he wasn't needed. Now, we know that Craig wanted to get away from 007 for a bit and do something else, so now he's committed to a brand new project which will probably fill his schedule for the rest of 2016. So, it's a question whether EON will wait for him. Give him 12 months to decide whether he will want to come back. Now, I think they are unlikely to wait a whole year. EON will have a schedule too. If they want to get Bond 25 ready for 2018 (3 year gaps seem to be the norm), they will have to start pre-production meetings soon, but nothing can really start until they have James Bond signed. So, maybe he already has been, and he'll return to the role when they're ready for him. Except, Bond is not a part-time role. Bond is a brand (the last 2 Bond films have made $2 billion!) and Sony have shareholders and, most crucially, you need a long term plan for any franchise which includes getting your product to market - which you can't decide a few months before the film is ready. Big budget movies require meticulous planning - and timing - to get everything into place. And again, the first thing EON need to do is decide WHO is playing Bond. Right now, it's anyone's guess, which leaves the Bond franchise in a strange place, which creates speculation and doubt. I think the longer EON and Craig should make a comment soon about the future of Bond. I'm sure the shareholders at Sony will be making their voices heard soon if not.
    I'm expecting an announcement that he's done soon and to be honest I'm not that bothered if it comes.
    Yes, I think I read somewhere that an announcement would be forthcoming sometime in March, probably after the studio negotiations are completed. There's probably a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes (linked) that we are not aware of and this announcement about a tv series is likely a reflection of that too. Timing is not coincidental in my view.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, I think I read somewhere that an announcement would be forthcoming sometime in March, probably after the studio negotiations are completed. There's probably a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes (linked) that we are not aware of and this announcement about a tv series is likely a reflection of that too. Timing is not coincidental in my view.

Agreed. And after the mixed reaction of SP a new casting may regenerate fading interests. Unfair but many who didn't really like SP may very well blame Craig.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    If Craig walked away now it just wouldn't feel right to me. The story seems incomplete. You can't introduce Waltz as Blofeld & not have Craig return to have a final showdown with him. Especially with BB saying how she'll do anything to keep Craig signed on. Craig has made the franchise buckets of money during his run as Bond. If he stuck around for B25, not only will he surpass Brosnan's run, but he would get a proper send off after taking down his arch-nemesis. I just want to see him do one more, then he can be finished for good.
    And the plot thickens....

Hopefully they end this media circus with an announcement either way after the studio negotiations are completed. Craig's continued involvement in the franchise is surely part of such negotiations. Note that wrist slasher is referenced in that above article that @Germanlady posted as well. He will be walking this one back all the way to the opening night of B25.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    No offense but the people here saying he's quitting are reactionary little ninnies. His last two Bond films combined for 2 BILLION dollars! Duh. He's the king. He's not done with the role by a long shot. I bet he does two more.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    No offense but the people here saying he's quitting are reactionary little ninnies. His last two Bond films combined for 2 BILLION dollars! Duh. He's the king. He's not done with the role by a long shot. I bet he does two more.

Lol saying "no offense" doesn't make your comment inoffensive.

:P

Just kidding but no one here knows but I'm with @bondjames lots more in going on behind the scenes than we know.
  • Erm. Why the BOLD disclaimer: BOND NOT QUITTING? If you read Craig's representative he does not say he IS coming back as James Bond, indeed, they later said 'he has the right to change his mind on whether he returns or not'. So we're in exactly the same place. I.e. We don't have the fainest idea if Craig will be back. I think we will have to wait until A) EON decides on a new distributor - next couple of months B) How much money EON / (new studio) are willing to offer Craig to do 1 maybe 2 more movies C) Whether Craig can resist self-harm when someone mentions the word "Bond".
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,115
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Erm. Why the BOLD disclaimer: BOND NOT QUITTING? If you read Craig's representative he does not say he IS coming back as James Bond, indeed, they later said 'he has the right to change his mind on whether he returns or not'. So we're in exactly the same place. I.e. We don't have the fainest idea if Craig will be back. I think we will have to wait until A) EON decides on a new distributor - next couple of months B) How much money EON / (new studio) are willing to offer Craig to do 1 maybe 2 more movies C) Whether Craig can resist self-harm when someone mentions the word "Bond".

In addition to all the points above, on one reference in the Digital Spy story it says Craig representatives, in another reference it says Craig "rep" singular. One representative or more than one?

Also, how was this reaction communicated? E-mail to the website? Telephone interview? In-person interview? Digital Spy doesn't say.

With the latter two, there's a chance to ask follow up questions. With the former, it's a statement. Relatively minor details but the story is a bit imprecise in its presentation.

All of these stories should be read carefully. The Sun (one of the papers saying Craig has quit) simply asserts it, without saying how it got the information. Mail Online, the Daily Mail's website, just summarizes the Sun and doesn't have its own reporting on the matter.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    My guess is that DC will play Andreas Wolf. While it is a significant part (from the book), it's not so much so that DC will be working on Purity extensively.

• From the BBC:

"Daniel Craig's representative has told the BBC that there is no truth to news reports claiming he has decided to leave the James Bond series.

"According to The Sun and other newspapers, the 47-year-old is quitting the franchise after signing up for a US TV series.

"According to his rep, though, no decision has been made on whether he'll stay or go."

Found here (scroll down to 07:25)

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/entertainment-arts-35366761?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=56c1bbf93f0000f94770c5e4&Daniel Craig 'not quitting Bond'&&ns_fee=0#post_56c1bbf93f0000f94770c5e4