No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    Final say is with EON? What power does MGM have then?

Also, if the studio says we're not going to fund the movie, the surely that always means EON is going to have to listen to them to some extent, surely?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

Also, if the studio says we're not going to fund the movie, the surely that always means EON is going to have to listen to them to some extent, surely?

so you believe that MGM (or whoever else) holds EON's feet to the fire when it comes down to casting?

the casting of Daniel Craig validates my argument - as MGM and Sony wanted a more well known name in the role.

when i said final say - i meant it in terms of casting - that goes for both actors/actress and crew...... MGM gets involved when it comes time to put budget to script - and in that comes the infamous "notes" process... and Patton Oswalt briefly, but perfectly illustrates the notes process here in this little bit he does - skip to 42secs in the video..

I don't know. I was asking a question.

My understanding is though that MGM owns Harry's share of the movie rights or something. I don't actually know much about it.

There are those who believe MGM played a significant part in Dalton's departure. I know there is a former MGM exec who Babs despises in relation to the stance that he took on Dalton in '94.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116
    I strongly think it's more of a negotiation. The studio is flipping the bill.

Prime example is the casting of C. The studio said hey cast a cheaper actor and they did.

Dalton is another example. Regardless of your opinion the studio wanted a change. They knew they wouldn't make money domestically.

They all knew they would with PB plus he was cheaper than say Gibson at that time.

Studios can add or yank a budget based on who is cast as the lead.

No they have say. They have the money and they want their money back and then some.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Bondjames, the bad news is, that you have to pay 400,00, which allows you to see 6 productions of that theater. Only interesting for New Yorkers, who are interested in all the plays sadly.
    Thanks @Germanlady. I was not aware of that. I received something via email to join the New York Theatre Workshop in order to view 6 shows for the price of 5, but I assumed/assume that this is just during the initial rollout.

As we get closer to the run, I'm sure they will open up tickets to individual purchases. At least, I hope so.
    Ireland a possible location? -Barbs said in 2013 at the Institute of Directors event at the weekend in support of the film industry in Ireland.

“we’ll come here. Ireland is gorgeous. I’d love to come here and make a Bond film" .

I understand she wanted to feature Ireland in Spectre but it did not work out for location against the story
    Pierce used to often bang the drum for filming in Ireland during his tenure as Bond.

Speaking with 20 Minuten this week, Barbara Broccoli revealed that the hope is to continue with Daniel Craig in the role, but either way they're getting to work on the next film very soon:

"We have put three years of work into 'Spectre.' It was a thrill, but now we want to enjoy the success and the reactions of the audiences. In spring we start again. I hope we can continue with Daniel [Craig]. I love him, obviously not just me but also the audience. I will try my best to keep him on."
  • Re: distributor. In the case of Sony, it was co-financing with MGM. So I think it did get input. Terms of the new deal (with Sony, or somebody else) remain to be seen.
    Just because DC is doing other things which to be honest is good for him to do. Babs and MGW will still push ahead in getting a draft story/script rolling asap. Then i am sure DC will become involved then. Sadly Bond 25 won't happen until 2018 in my eyes.
    If Craig returns, then it will be for 2018, but if he really wants to do 25 and they need for whatever reason a 2017 release, they can possibly move Othello up enough months to make room for the typical late year Bond start. Or postpone Othello a year. Othello is not going to keep Craig from doing 25 if both he, and EON both want him to return.
    If Babs wants 25 in 2017 then I bet we have 25 then.

...sounds like with or without him.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    If Babs wants 25 in 2017 then I bet we have 25 then.

...sounds like with or without him.
    Yes, that is what I took from her comments. She would prefer him it seems (why not?) but if not, then they move forward. I take from her comments that they are shooting for a faster turnaround this time, but of course, as always, we know delays happen. The studio switchover must have an impact (I can't see how it can't) and I would assume a new studio would press for & prefer a quicker release.
    I hope that timetable is their anxiety to redeem their efforts and not to churn out a predictable SP follow up.
  • I'm overjoyed that Craig is doing another off-Broadway play. Betrayal was such a treat, especially getting to meet the man himself after the show as he was signing autographs. His reply to my teenage sister's request for a selfie was: "Honey, you will find much better photos of me on the Internet." I thanked him for his performance in Russian, knowing he'd played a Russian in a movie or two. In any case, Craig + Shakespeare + rising star Oyewolo is good enough an excuse to visit New York again in 2016. I'm sure there will be plenty of tickets popping up on the various American re-sale websites.
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    of course i want Craig back for Bond 25. but i don't care which director is going to be hired, i don't care which country's Bond's going to visit, i don't care if Blofeld is going to be back... as long as there's a decent script! no more plotholes, please please please.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm overjoyed that Craig is doing another off-Broadway play. Betrayal was such a treat, especially getting to meet the man himself after the show as he was signing autographs. His reply to my teenage sister's request for a selfie was: "Honey, you will find much better photos of me on the Internet." I thanked him for his performance in Russian, knowing he'd played a Russian in a movie or two. In any case, Craig + Shakespeare + rising star Oyelowo is good enough an excuse to visit New York again in 2016. I'm sure there will be plenty of tickets popping up on the various American re-sale websites.

Fixed

;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'd love to see Ireland in a Bond film, as has been stated above. I know EON went there with Mendes for some play/event before Spectre's production if I recall correctly, which many of us misconstrued as location scouting.

I'd love for the Craig era to keep on with featuring new unseen Bond locations, and it doesn't get better than Ireland. You could do so many great thematic things with the setting, including references/motifs of the old mythical legends into the story, include the heart of Irish sound in the score for the film, and so much more. If it is in fact Dan's last, an arrangement of The Parting Glass to end the film would bring a tear to my eye. You could do some interesting things with the story too, as Mallory has a history with the IRA. The main important thing for me is that Blofeld is back in some capacity. Waltz didn't get enough time to shine in SP and I want to see him get more to play with.
    walter1985 wrote: »
    of course i want Craig back for Bond 25. but i don't care which director is going to be hired, i don't care which country's Bond's going to visit, i don't care if Blofeld is going to be back... as long as there's a decent script! no more plotholes, please please please.

I can handle plot holes ...just work on story and character development.

After 24 films you can't rely on just action and homage. No more left overs lol. BEEF!!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ireland would be a lovely location for a Bond film, you could do so much with it.
    Can we fix the title, please.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Can we fix the title, please.

And say what?

Very easy. Bind 25 production diary. And if you wanna add something, with which we ran into trouble last time around, make it: idea work MIGHT start in spring.
    But I would just keep the title simple and not change it all the time.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Very easy. Bind 25 production diary. And if you wanna add something, with which we ran into trouble last time around, make it: idea work MIGHT start in spring.
    But I would just keep the title simple and not change it all the time.
    I take the most recent news tidbit and add it to the thread title, as well as the timeline on the OP. I think my way is fine.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The title seems fine for now. I only run into having trouble with it once shooting approaches and possible spoilers or other tidbits of information are shown in the title that certain readers may not want to know.
    That title suggests, they might start shooting in less then a year and that is certainly not gonna happen. Keep what you wish but its a wrong assumption all the same.

• echoecho 007 in New York

MGM owns 50% and Eon owns 50%, which means it's a deadlock.
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    Does the distributor have any word to say in the creative process ? Such as cast, director, script ?

no.

the only job the distributor has is to advertise and release the film(s) in theaters.

what made the deal with Sony/Columbia unique though, is that they were also footing 50% of the production budget (MGM had the other 50%) - this means Sony/Columbia had a little bit more leverage over certain areas of creative... but they couldn't force EON to do anything in terms of casting - the most they could do was offer suggestions, but final say always came down to EON.
    The situation with Spectre was a little different. Sony contributed 25% of the negative cost, in return for 25% of profits and a distribution fee.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    echo wrote: »

MGM owns 50% and Eon owns 50%, which means it's a deadlock.
    I think EON has the ultimate say on casting/creative but MGM definitely has influence. If they are adamant against an actor for example, EON likely will listen, even if EON has the overall veto. Ultimately I think it's a collaborative process, even with studio involvement (Pascal at Sony definitely had input into Craig) although EON holds deciding vote.